What do we do with Mo?

Jetster

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think we should cut all talented veteran players and replace them with gritty UDFA’s so Todd can take it easy and grit out 6 gritty wins every year.

Todd cannot coach talented players, only UDFAs, rookies and guys almost out the league in other words the players you never have to motivate

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'd sooner put that entire $17m towards an earlier extension for Leo, instead of doing our usual thing of waiting until the current contract is expired and then pay UFA rates for players we drafted. 

Better to extend Leo (at I'm guessing it'd take a similar $17m that Mo got) than keep Leo at his current level and pay Mo $17m, followed by tagging Leo in 2018 through another extension stalemate when he'll be a year closer to UFA status. (Should he reach UFA status in 2019, with the expected cap increases even before the CBA expires, he'll surely be seeking $20m/year with $50m of it fully guaranteed).

Leo's other option is to risk injury while playing in 2018 for $3m and not reach UFA status until 2020 (when he can still get tagged anyway, with a potential lockout looming for 2021). 

Why does it seem we are the only team that can't lock up players before their contracts are up? The Eagles locked up Alshon Jeffrey this week after 11 games to a long-term deal. The Jets don't lock up players that they have on the roster for 3+ years. It makes me question (even more so) if the Jets even have a 3-5 year plan for the team in place. 

Thankfully Macc made it easy to part ways 2 years in so cut him. 

I'd also add no one was complaining when that contract was signed and Mo hadn't exhibited any of this prior to getting the money.  Good foresight by Macc to plan for this unfortunate eventuality.

12 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

His play hasn't been awful this year. But he's not playing anywhere near what the level he should be for what he's making.

He's had a few good games but for most of the season he has been MIA. He's been a major disappointment overall since signing the contract. 

9 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

He's had a few good games but for most of the season he has been MIA. He's been a major disappointment overall since signing the contract. 

He hasn't shown to be worth what he's getting paid which is the most important thing. I don't think he's been a negative out there for the most part. But for $18 million a year, you should be getting a top notch player whose constantly making a big impact in games and he's not doing that at all. It's been two years now.

It might be the best move to just cut him and free up even more money. Especially if they are considering making a run at a guy like Cousins who is going to eat into cap space. 

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have 5 wins now and thus won't pick high enough to draft a top QB.  So I guess Mo's money can go toward overpaying Kirk Cousins.

Or free up the option to use our mid first rounder on another DE.

He's played much better since being called out by Brian B. He isn't worth any where near the 17 mill per. What's he going to get on the FA market 7 - 8 mill tops, he's a 3-4 DE.

I'd offer him a restructure, if he refuses then cut him. Also if your DL does not get you at least 10 sacks a year, don't play him premier Edge Rusher money! 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Um, no. "Actually" it's another $17m for the 2018 exactly like I stated. He does not receive his cap hit that; he receives what new money he receives.

The rest comes off whether he's here or not because he's already received that in prior bonus money.

So he is due to receive another $17m, and with the fluidity of the salary cap, that is the amount that is saved (i.e. usable for other players) if he's cut. 

He is not worth another $17m for 2018.

Well... they will have $17M more, but the cut accelerates the bonus.  The $9M comes off all at once instead of $3M per.  Actually probably for the best with all the money they have now. 

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Thankfully Macc made it easy to part ways 2 years in so cut him. 

I'd also add no one was complaining when that contract was signed and Mo hadn't exhibited any of this prior to getting the money.  Good foresight by Macc to plan for this unfortunate eventuality.

No.  One. ?  Seriously?  You weren't here, or is this a continuation of the other trollcentric posts?

30 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Always defending the weak

When you think about it, he's like Robin Hood.

FWIW, I think Mo is better than everybody is giving him credit.  I think there is a fair chance he sticks around.  IMO he is no worse than Williams and I don't see him as quite the attitude problem everyone else does.  I wouldn't have signed for all that money, especially coming off the broken leg, but you mooks jumping up and down like he will be out of the league if (when?) the Jets cut him are insane.  

BTW, I am pretty sure that a portion of the reason there is this dead money is because they structured his deal with a $15M bonus because we needed cap space to bring Fitzpatrick back.  That is despite having all that money on the cap in 2015. But hey, thank God Maccagnan structures all these deals so that it is easy to get out of them after two years.  Ugh. 

After reading that over, **** you Pac.  Even though you are just trolling you suck.  I'd prefer to read the value of PSLs than that this deal made sense and this made up idea that nobody complained at the time.  

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

He's not going to change. You want all your guys pulling in the same direction. Cut him at the end of the season, and don't look back. Sign Kony Ealy, he's twice the player.

Ealy,Williams,Mo play well together McClendon,Pennel and others are alright but not Mo Wilk caliber. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

After reading that over, **** you Pac.  Even though you are just trolling you suck.  I'd prefer to read the value of PSLs than that this deal made sense and this made up idea that nobody complained at the time.  

Not trolling, pork chop.  Ill adress this further when near a desktop.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles said he still considers Mo Wilkerson a team leader even though he has disciplined him three times in the last three years for being late to meetings. Asked if he's OK with leaders being late, Bowles said, "I'm not OK with a lot of things, but I'm not going to sit here and give you a 10-page article on it." Bowles never criticizes his players publicly, but know this: The organization is frustrated by Wilkerson's act.

Mo will be Traded or CUT by March '18 and Leo gets Extended w/Mo' Money

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your honor I'd like to enter into evidence EXHIBIT A

This is the thread announcing the signing of Mo.  The plaintiff is urged to read through and point out the numerous posts expressing discontent.

I'd also like to enter exhibits B through J.  These are from a few of Maccs most ardent detractors who seem to have had a different opinion at the time:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

... I rest my case and I accept your apology.

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

This is the thread announcing the signing of Mo.  The plaintiff is urged to read through and point out the numerous posts expressing discontent.

I'd also like to enter exhibits B through J.  These are from of Maccs most ardent detractors who seem to have had a different opinion at the time:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

2mh51pE.gif

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'd also like to enter exhibits B through J.  These are from of Maccs most ardent detractors who seem to have had a different opinion at the time:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

JUST. GOT. PAC'D.

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'd also like to enter exhibits B through J.  These are from a few of Maccs most ardent detractors who seem to have had a different opinion at the time:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Jets' Todd Bowles defends Muhammad Wilkerson's leadership despite another benching

Muhammad Wilkerson stands on the side as the New York Jets practice. 10/25/17 Florham Park, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Muhammad Wilkerson stands on the side as the New York Jets practice. 10/25/17 Florham Park, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

There's no doubt in Todd Bowles' mind. Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson is a leader on his Jets team.

Which is interesting, considering Wilkerson -- for the third straight year -- was benched a quarter on Sunday after he showed up late to a meeting earlier in the week.

You'd think leaders would be better at following team rules, setting the perfect example for younger players to follow.

But maybe that's not the case?

"The biggest thing is we are a family here," Bowles said via conference call Monday. "At the end of the day, you love them up. You may be pissed for a minute, but you get over it and move on."

Wilkerson's tardiness has been a recurring theme. He missed a quarter against the Giants in 2015 for showing up late to meetings. Last year, he showed up late to meetings and missed a Saturday walkthrough, so the Jets benched him a quarter against the Dolphins.

Afterwards, Wilkerson told the media he knew he'd become a "distraction," and assured all it wouldn't happen again. But, just over a year later, it did.

Wilkerson showed up late to a team meeting on Saturday, as first reported by NJ Advance Media, so the Jets benched him the first quarter of Sunday's victory over the Chiefs.

After the game, Wilkerson was uninterested in discussing his lateness. He merely said it was a "coach's decision," and after talking to Bowles, this is what they felt was "best for the game, for the team."

Linebacker Darron Lee, who showed up late to Saturday's practice, was also benched. Unlike Wilkerson, Lee didn't play the entire game.

"It's part of the game," Bowles said. "No different than raising your kids. They're going to do some things, and you're going to be pissed off. But they're still your kids. You'll still love them up the next day, and keep moving."

The Jets awarded Wilkerson a five-year, $86 million contract extension after the 2015 season. Wilkerson, while tardy that year, had compiled 12 sacks. He assured Bowles then he'd improve his maturity.

But not only hasn't Wilkerson gotten better off the field, but he's struggling on it. He has seven sacks in his last 27 games, including just 2.5 this year. Of 117 interior defensive linemen ranked by ProFootballFocus in 2017, Wilkerson checks in at 53.

The odds of this season being Wilkerson's last with the Jets seem to be increasing by the day.

Wilkerson's $16.75 million salary for next season doesn't become fully guaranteed until the third day of the league year, next March. If the Jets cut Wilkerson before that guarantee kicks in, they would create $11 million in cap space, though they'd have to eat $9 million in dead money next season. Wilkerson's cap hit if he remains with the Jets in 2018 would be $20 million.

Kony Ealy: Bowles should 'definitely' return next year

The Jets could designate Wilkerson as a post-June 1 cut. In this case, they would have to carry his $20 million cap number until June 1 -- which wouldn't help them create cap space for free agency. But a post-June 1 designation would free up $17 million in 2018 cap space for the Jets, because the $9 million in dead money would be spread equally over 2018-20.

The Jets, with Wilkerson on the books, are still expected to have more than $79 million in salary cap space, according to OverTheCap.com.

But that contract out is awful enticing if Wilkerson continues to slack off.

"You earn trust," Bowles said. "(Wilkerson and Lee) earned a lot of trust. You make mistakes. You lose trust. You have to earn it back.

"There are coaching decisions and team rules we go by. I'm not going to sit here and discuss my players in the media ... I'm not OK with a lot of things. But I'm not going to sit here and give you a 10-page article on it."

On 12/4/2017 at 5:19 PM, JetFreak89 said:

Why does it seem we are the only team that can't lock up players before their contracts are up? The Eagles locked up Alshon Jeffrey this week after 11 games to a long-term deal. The Jets don't lock up players that they have on the roster for 3+ years. It makes me question (even more so) if the Jets even have a 3-5 year plan for the team in place. 

I’ve been beating this drum for some time. And “we have plenty of room this year” is not an answer. Eventually we won’t have plenty of room, and compounding one of these on top of another across a handful of starters over a few years is going to eventually add up to $15-20m/year when we are maxed out. Basically the price of another top-5 all pro player at any position except QB, with probably change leftover to upgrade yet another player.

The excuse-making for him typically falls back on the provably false theory that no player is willing to take any less to cash in early and avoid the risk of injury in a rough sport where contracts aren’t guaranteed. Particularly while players are still on cheaper rookie deals.

So yeah, Fitz held out for way more than he’d have gotten if he was extended mid-season; Winters is finishing up year 1 of a $7.5m/year deal instead of the $4.5m or so he belongs at (and would have been a year earlier when we could threaten him with a not-bluffing benching behind a new FA pickup); Leo will be $20m instead of $17m per; Robbie Anderson will play under the RFA tag in 2019 and then we’ll negotiate after franchise tagging him, instead of turning 2019 into a 5 year one with a 4 yr extension beyond the 2019 tag year, and he’ll that’ll cost an extra $2-3m/year as well (if we don’t lose him outright); every player we’re going to keep longer we’ll wait until the final game of his prior contract has been played, and the player correctly has no incentive to take a penny less than his anticipated bidding war amount.

Our GM has no idea how to use leverage (among his many other shortcomings). And why should this be surprising? The guy was a ****ing scout, and Ms. Contracts (Jackie Davidson) seems no better.

10 hours ago, Pac said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

That is some good stuff.  Don't know that I will apologize though.  I was very much in favor or resigning Mo and also very much in shock at the number.  Much like Fitzpatrick during the 2015 season, I wanted them back, but put a hard number on it and both of their numbers way exceeded my willingness to pay. 

You probably won't find much from me in that thread because I figured maybe I just misjudged the market.   I wanted to quickly lock him up for Cameron Jordan money.  $12-13M per. I thought it was kind of crazy that they gave him all that money after he broke his leg.  Not sure how much of this I would have said on the board.  Contrary to popular belief, I don't always want to rain on everybody's parade. 

Likewise, I was willing to pay Fitzpatrick $6-8M per for 2.   They basically doubled that by waiting.

Archived