Mo, Mo, Mo…Wilkerson Gives Jets Early Christmas Gift

JetNation

IMG_3213.jpg

While Jets fans and beat writers seem to be losing their collective minds over the news of defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson being deactivated for this Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints for showing up “Very late” to a team meeting today, the reality of the situation is that fans should be thanking Wilkerson for delivering an early Christmas gift…a clear path to his release following this season as any injury risk is removed.

Ever since signing his $17 million per year deal back in July of 2016, the big defensive end has been largely invisible and this season has been no different.

Prior to signing his mega-deal, Wilkerson had amassed 28.5 sacks in his previous 44 games.  Since putting pen to paper, Wilkerson’s production has plummeted as he owns just 8 sacks in his last 26 games.  Putting forth marginal effort like this has become commonplace for Wilkerson.

Despite Wilkerson’s lack of effort, multiple benchings and fines for no-shows and tardiness to practice to go along with his lack of production, head coach Todd Bowles has continued to trot Wilkerson out there on a weekly basis, even saying as recently as last week that he still views him as one of the leaders on this Jets team.

Playing Wilkerson from week to week has put the Jets at a great risk of being stuck with an enormous cap hit as his contract guarantees all of his $20 million salary for 2018 if he were to be hurt and land on injured reserve.  Imagine being the head coach or GM that has to explain to an owner that in a lost season, you took a gamble that cost $20 million in cap space for a player you want no part of.  As we pointed almost two months ago, playing him regularly was an irresponsible move.

Now, thanks to Wilkerson showing up late to practice once again, he may have inadvertently forced the team’s hand.    He won’t travel to New Orleans this week and at this point, you would have to imagine Todd Bowles has had enough, and if he hasn’t, perhaps ownership has.

No matter who speaks up or where it comes from, the Jets brass needs to unwrap the gift that’s been given to them by Wilkerson, and have him ride the pine for the season’s final two games before letting him skip town and try to trick somebody else in to giving him a huge pay day.

Merry Christmas, Jets fans.  Go ahead and add Mo Wilkerson to your Christmas card list.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
BkDaLpkl7DY

Click here to read the full story...

Merry Christmas, my dudes. Quickly, unwrap another in a long line of former star football players who quit on the head coach that the part-time owner is about to extend into the early 2020’s. And what’s that in your stocking, kids? That’s right. It’s an extension for the guy who keeps giving these high-priced soon-to-be malcontents tens of millions of dollars. Ho. Ho. Motherf%#^ing Ho. 

2ACA6D2E-883B-4904-9F8F-CAF97C1F8E6A.jpeg

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Merry Christmas, my dudes. Quickly, unwrap another in a long line of former star football players who quit on the head coach that the part-time owner is about to extend into the early 2020’s. And what’s that in your stocking, kids? That’s right. It’s an extension for the guy who keeps giving these high-priced soon-to-be malcontents tens of millions of dollars. Ho. Ho. Motherf%#^ing Ho. 

2ACA6D2E-883B-4904-9F8F-CAF97C1F8E6A.jpeg

Kicking back on grandpas cough syrup a little early tonight?

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This guy’s fall is not a gift. It is as Jets a situation as you can get, the franchise gains nothing worthwhile from this. 

What? It clears the path for a scrappy, gritty UDFA-quality marginal player to lead the team to four wins next year.

It is absolutely a gift. The jets definately have one of the worst luck when it comes to players after signing big deals. Sanchez, revis, now Wilkerson. Not to mention bad luck in everything else. Wilkerson would almost definately get hurt on the last game of the season, and we would have to pay him that disgusting salary next yr.

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Good to see you on a Mo thread :-)

Preeeettty sure I’m in most of them. There’s literally been 6 on the front page at the same time during points this season, all with the same content. Right now there’s “just” 3, all with the same content. 

While it may be a gift now just wait until Macchole overpays mediocre players to come to this team with the money he saves on Mo. Giving Macchole a ton of cap space is like signing Mark Sanchez. It looked like a good idea at the time but look at the result:

image.png

It reminds me of the books we used to read as kids that allowed you to select which path you would like to take and each decision lead to a different outcome.

2 years ago the franchise was presented with a choice, sign former first round pick Mo Wilkerson who had a tremendous year but was also coming off of a broken leg or a free agent gem in Damon Snacks Harrison who was a gritty run stuffer and well respected member of of the D-line?  

Guy's who quit  on their team when times get rough lack the character..Very disappointed in Mo.  I admit to being one of the fan's who made the wrong choice but at least with the contract signed we can correct part of the bad choice.

Not this Harrison stuff again...Harrison’s played like 55% of the D snaps since going to the Giants and this is healthy. IIRC his workload was even lighter with the Jets. NT is arguably the only position the Jets have managed well this decade - they always find a cheap starter off a scrap heap because it’s that kind of position now. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

TBH, neither Harrison nor Wilkerson deserved the money they got. 

Most players are underpaid on their rookie deal, and many are grossly overpaid on their second deal.

Harrison is over paid, but at least puts forth effort.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

TBH, neither Harrison nor Wilkerson deserved the money they got. 

I’d disagree with this as well but we all know that. I only even respond to this stuff because I can’t insist enough how dangerous this mentality is. We work too, people! 

I’d say they were worth the deals when signed, obviously otherwise they’d have gotten smaller deals, but sh*t happens and sometimes things don’t work out. 

12 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It is absolutely a gift. The jets definately have one of the worst luck when it comes to players after signing big deals. Sanchez, revis, now Wilkerson. Not to mention bad luck in everything else. Wilkerson would almost definately get hurt on the last game of the season, and we would have to pay him that disgusting salary next yr.

The Jets would only have to pay him if he wound up on IR. They would certainly not do that in that case. Nor would they with any injury with him at this point.

EDIT-I stand corrected on this-He would just need to pass a physical in March.

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm glad we have a lot of cap money this year.

I'm not glad, because Macc's 2 biggest contracts were to Revis and Mo, both of whom quit on their deals almost immediately. 

Can't win em all. It's not like it's hindered the team from signing anyone else or will hinder them this off season. It's not tanny level clearing most of the team and not signing guys because they might be in the race for Aso. Jesus. 

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Did you see the Giants defense this year?

Yes, watched about 4 games.

In the last game, even the Cowboy announcers were talking about the effort he was putting out.   TBH, I was not in favor of giving Snacks the deal, he plays a little over half the downs, and 10 million is a lot for that.  The Giants are hamstrung worse by the JPP and Olivier contracts.

Snacks is over paid, but he plays hard.   Mo is overpaid, and can't even be bothered to show up to a meeting on time.

Let me ask, how do you all think Mo would have performed, or will perform once he gets to NE next year? I think the HC, and DC is vital to a players development and attitude. You think Mo will be late to one of BB's meetings? Think again. If so, he will be exiled to Cleveland faster then you can say Christian Hackenburg.

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Let me ask, how do you all think Mo would have performed, or will perform once he gets to NE next year? I think the HC, and DC is vital to a players development and attitude. You think Mo will be late to one of BB's meetings? Think again. If so, he will be exiled to Cleveland faster then you can say Christian Hackenburg.

Exactly the moron coaching staff is clueless on how to properly coach a football team, its quite evident. 

15 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_3213.jpg

While Jets fans and beat writers seem to be losing their collective minds over the news of defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson being deactivated for this Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints for showing up “Very late” to a team meeting today, the reality of the situation is that fans should be thanking Wilkerson for delivering an early Christmas gift…a clear path to his release following this season as any injury risk is removed.

Ever since signing his $17 million per year deal back in July of 2016, the big defensive end has been largely invisible and this season has been no different.

Prior to signing his mega-deal, Wilkerson had amassed 28.5 sacks in his previous 44 games.  Since putting pen to paper, Wilkerson’s production has plummeted as he owns just 8 sacks in his last 26 games.  Putting forth marginal effort like this has become commonplace for Wilkerson.

Despite Wilkerson’s lack of effort, multiple benchings and fines for no-shows and tardiness to practice to go along with his lack of production, head coach Todd Bowles has continued to trot Wilkerson out there on a weekly basis, even saying as recently as last week that he still views him as one of the leaders on this Jets team.

Playing Wilkerson from week to week has put the Jets at a great risk of being stuck with an enormous cap hit as his contract guarantees all of his $20 million salary for 2018 if he were to be hurt and land on injured reserve.  Imagine being the head coach or GM that has to explain to an owner that in a lost season, you took a gamble that cost $20 million in cap space for a player you want no part of.  As we pointed almost two months ago, playing him regularly was an irresponsible move.

Now, thanks to Wilkerson showing up late to practice once again, he may have inadvertently forced the team’s hand.    He won’t travel to New Orleans this week and at this point, you would have to imagine Todd Bowles has had enough, and if he hasn’t, perhaps ownership has.

No matter who speaks up or where it comes from, the Jets brass needs to unwrap the gift that’s been given to them by Wilkerson, and have him ride the pine for the season’s final two games before letting him skip town and try to trick somebody else in to giving him a huge pay day.

Merry Christmas, Jets fans.  Go ahead and add Mo Wilkerson to your Christmas card list.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

BkDaLpkl7DY

Click here to read the full story...

thanks mo.  i hope you have enough money to feed your fambly.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

thanks mo.  i hope you have enough money to feed your fambly.

Mo lives quite modestly frequents AppleBees and Target he lives about 5 miles from me and my son and his friends have seen him out  and about on numerous occasions. 

Sad state of affairs that talent like his is being wasted, this organization seems to have a lot of that go on here. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Mo lives quite modestly frequents AppleBees and Target he lives about 5 miles from me and my son and his friends have seen him out about on numerous occasions. 

that's good to hear but it kind of runs contrary to attitude issues.  and i have no issue with any player (well except baseball players) who makes the money they are worth.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

that's good to hear but it kind of runs contrary to attitude issues.  and i have no issue with any player (well except baseball players) who makes the money they are worth.

All those #1 draft picks this team has wasted picks on must have had issues also.....see the trend here. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

All those #1 draft picks this team has wasted picks on must have had issues also.....see the trend here. 

yep.  i was just reading the ny post article and they said mo notified the jets he was going to be late.  not that it should cut any ice.  it's not like these players actually have to show up for meeting 365/24/7.  he needs to be on time. but then i was also thinking back to the mangini era when they forced pete kendall to stay in the rookie dorm over some matter.  it was probably contract related.  anyway, kendall was a decent guard and they traded him or released him.

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep.  i was just reading the ny post article and they said mo notified the jets he was going to be late.  not that it should cut any ice.  it's not like these players actually have to show up for meeting 365/24/7.  he needs to be on time. but then i was also thinking back to the mangini era when they forced pete kendall to stay in the rookie dorm over some matter.  it was probably contract related.  anyway, kendall was a decent guard and they traded him or released him.

Mo lives about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic from Florham Park its a straight shot up 287 North I have no clue what the circumstances were maybe a sick kid or a lost dog who knows. It just seems as if Todd Bowles is grandstanding these last few weeks of the season doing damage control for the last 3 years where he's been the worst HC in the NFL. 

Archived