Rumor Chiefs to explore trading Alex Smith

joewilly12

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thats horrible.  So Jetsy I actually believe it could happen.  

Would go down as one of the worst trades in NY Jets history.

If we spent $111m on FAs and no QB in FA I don't know if we'd need to worry about the 4 starters we'd get from those picks if it netted us a franchise QB. 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Missing a game is different than losing someone halfway through a game though and that's what we are debating.

Ertz literally left a game multiple time this season due to a injury.  Wentz carried on fine without him.

Ryan, on at least 2 occasions, lost Julio mid-game and was fine without him.  One of those games was against us (2013).

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Ertz literally left a game multiple time this season due to a injury.  Wentz carried on fine without him.

Ryan, on at least 2 occasions, lost Julio mid-game and was fine without him.  One of those games was against us (2013).

The 2 times Ertz was sidelined mid game the last 2 years Wentz beat Cleveland last year and lost to Seattle this year so I'm willing to call that a draw. 

Julio has been injured 15 times since 2011, Kelce has only sustained 3 injuries since 2013. Seems to make sense that losing Kelce would be more of a shock to the system for a QB that is not on the same level as Matt Ryan.

4 hours ago, adb280z said:

That's crazy talk.

In 3 years as a starter Cousins avg 27 TDs, Smith has never done that.  Cousins doesn't have the weapons that Smith does.  Hunt, Kelce and Hill are better than anyone Cousins had this year.

crazy??? really??? since 2012 :

Smith                                                   Cousins

Pass yds         19,345                                                  16,206

TD's               115                                                       99

Int's               38                                                         55

3 hours ago, Pac said:

I'd throw my shoe at the TV if they gave up that much.

This is the reason why I'm praying they get Cousins. 

Cousins + Barkley + 2 O-lineman picks is light years better than Rosen or Darnold, minimal picks this year, and no 1st rounder next year.

hmmm...what kind of shoe?

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The 2 times Ertz was sidelined mid game the last 2 years Wentz beat Cleveland last year and lost to Seattle this year so I'm willing to call that a draw. 

Julio has been injured 15 times since 2011, Kelce has only sustained 3 injuries since 2013. Seems to make sense that losing Kelce would be more of a shock to the system for a QB that is not on the same level as Matt Ryan.

Ok then we'll call it a wash.  Wentz played well in that loss for what it's worth.

Your kinda making my point in your second half.  The entire point should be to find a QB on the level of Matt Ryan.  A franchise QB who elevates everyone around him, regardless of the circumstances.  Not a guy who crumbles because he lost 1 out of 3 his incredible talents goes out for half while he has 21-3 lead.  That's utterly ridiculous.  There are zero excuses for that.

Wentz - loses his go-to guy mid-game?  Fine.  

Ryan - loses his go-to guy mid-game?  More than fine.

Smith - loses 1 guy out of 3 great players with a 21-3 cushion?  Completely collapses and can't put up a single point in an entire half.  

crazy??? really??? since 2012 :
                      Smith                                                   Cousins
Pass yds         19,345                                                  16,206
TD's               115                                                       99
Int's               38                                                         55
You should realize that Cousins wasn't the full time starter until 2015. Comparing his 2012-14 seasons with Smith is nonsensical. Even with that said, smith only beat him by 3000 yards and he had 30 more starts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Pac said:

I'd throw my shoe at the TV if they gave up that much.

This is the reason why I'm praying they get Cousins. 

Cousins + Barkley + 2 O-lineman picks is light years better than Rosen or Darnold, minimal picks this year, and no 1st rounder next year.

I’m with you, people have lost their mind when it comes to QB desperation and are throwing draft picks around like confetti(remember the whining about how Tannenbaum left us a roster devoid of talent because he didn’t value draft picks?). Not even convinced Rosen or Darnold are that good. Sure as sh*t in a couple of months the moaning will begin that we have no OL or pass rusher because we gave up too many picks

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I’m with you, people have lost their mind when it comes to QB desperation and are throwing draft picks around like confetti(remember the whining about how Tannenbaum left us a roster devoid of talent because he didn’t value draft picks?). Not even convinced Rosen or Darnold are that good. Sure as sh*t in a couple of months the moaning will begin that we have no OL or pass rusher because we gave up too many picks

you mean the same guy who built multiple SB contenders for the Jets? would we prefer drafting 12 guys like Idzik did where we have 1 of those guys left from only 3 years ago? it's about getting talent, sometimes it's through trades or FA, the foundation needs to be built from the draft but the entire team does not.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

you mean the same guy who built multiple SB contenders for the Jets? would we prefer drafting 12 guys like Idzik did where we have 1 of those guys left from only 3 years ago? it's about getting talent, sometimes it's through trades or FA, the foundation needs to be built from the draft but the entire team does not.

Not sure I get your response?

Did I prefer Tannenbaum over Idzik?....hellyes, those Tanny  years were some of the most exhilarating years to be a jet fan but ultimately a couple of poor decisions and our perceived lack of depth due to trading away so many picks cost him his job,

Whether you agree with that or not the fan base had turned on him and the lack of draft picks was one of the bigger sticks he was beaten with, the fact Idzik was such a disaster is only really relevant in that it left Maccagnan with an absolute sh*t show of a roster with 2 years of failed draft picks and the previous lack of depth to overcome. What talent we had was ageing(Brick. Harris, Mangold)

i’m not against making trades, far from it, but there has to be value and panicking yourself into throwing away high value picks just to grab a QB is not the answer especially as I don’t think any of these guys is an absolute can’t miss prospect. Rosen perhaps but his concussions and the diva/pr!ck rumours that would make Geno Smith blush give me enough pause to be cautious.

if anything the strength of this class at QB is in the amount of options there are, all are flawed or have questions but there are a good 6 or 7 guys who could very possibly be picked in the first 50 selections. Stay at 6 or even drop back a bit and draft our future QB unless the value is there for a guy you totally believe in. We are more than just a QB away IMO.

The reality here is we are starting a veteran free agent next year, no way Bowles goes into such a critical, career defining season with a rookie starting, even if we get Rosen I have my doubts he’d start him day 1, and anyway  the smart move is to go into the draft with some degree of stability at QB even if it’s a guy like Keenum or Bridgewater, you can still go up and get your guy but critically you are doing so not out of desperation and as a result have a better chance of not selling off the family silver to do so. 

‘The Sanchez trade that Tanny pulled off gets forgotten about now but it was an absolute heist at the time. I don’t want us to wake  up after the draft thinking ‘well we got our QB but damn that cost will hurt’ If you are throwing away all those picks the new guy has to be elute andvelite from day 1 IMO

absolutely agree that trades and FA build a roster but if you need to add elite playmakers at high value positions then that route is very costly in both dollars and draft capital. Build your core and acquire your elite young talent through the draft

26 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Not sure I get your response?

Did I prefer Tannenbaum over Idzik?....hellyes, those Tanny  years were some of the most exhilarating years to be a jet fan but ultimately a couple of poor decisions and our perceived lack of depth due to trading away so many picks cost him his job,

Whether you agree with that or not the fan base had turned on him and the lack of draft picks was one of the bigger sticks he was beaten with, the fact Idzik was such a disaster is only really relevant in that it left Maccagnan with an absolute sh*t show of a roster with 2 years of failed draft picks and the previous lack of depth to overcome. What talent we had was ageing(Brick. Harris, Mangold)

i’m not against making trades, far from it, but there has to be value and panicking yourself into throwing away high value picks just to grab a QB is not the answer especially as I don’t think any of these guys is an absolute can’t miss prospect. Rosen perhaps but his concussions and the diva/pr!ck rumours that would make Geno Smith blush give me enough pause to be cautious.

if anything the strength of this class at QB is in the amount of options there are, all are flawed or have questions but there are a good 6 or 7 guys who could very possibly be picked in the first 50 selections. Stay at 6 or even drop back a bit and draft our future QB unless the value is there for a guy you totally believe in. We are more than just a QB away IMO.

The reality here is we are starting a veteran free agent next year, no way Bowles goes into such a critical, career defining season with a rookie starting, even if we get Rosen I have my doubts he’d start him day 1, and anyway  the smart move is to go into the draft with some degree of stability at QB even if it’s a guy like Keenum or Bridgewater, you can still go up and get your guy but critically you are doing so not out of desperation and as a result have a better chance of not selling off the family silver to do so. 

‘The Sanchez trade that Tanny pulled off gets forgotten about now but it was an absolute heist at the time. I don’t want us to wake  up after the draft thinking ‘well we got our QB but damn that cost will hurt’ If you are throwing away all those picks the new guy has to be elute andvelite from day 1 IMO

absolutely agree that trades and FA build a roster but if you need to add elite playmakers at high value positions then that route is very costly in both dollars and draft capital. Build your core and acquire your elite young talent through the draft

there are many ways to build a team.  Parcells tried w/ 10+ draft picks for 3 years but only hit on3-4 of them, Tannenbaum had much fewer picks but still hit on more than BP and built a team that had 4 realistic chances to make a run. He knew once 2011 was over we'd have to retool.  Our biggest mistake was firing him after 2012.

Alex is Smith is the kind of QB that NFL teams get "stuck" with - decent enough to keep his job as a starter for 10 years but not good enough to carry his team on his back and win a Super Bowl.  He is PERFECT for the Jets and their shoot for the middle organizational philosophy. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

Alex is Smith is the kind of QB that NFL teams get "stuck" with - decent enough to keep his job as a starter for 10 years but not good enough to carry his team on his back and win a Super Bowl.  He is PERFECT for the Jets and their shoot for the middle organizational philosophy. 

When was the last time the Jets had a QB who was "decent enough to keep his job as a starter for 10 years"?

Would it not be better to have such a QB WHILE drafting/developing/waiting for a legit Franchise QB?

I'd much rather be 9-7/10-6 every year while waiting for the next Tom Manning Peyton Brady than continue to recycle the Fitz's, McCown's, or waste time on the Geno's and Petty's of this world, going 5-10 every year.

Yes, the ultimate goal is a title.  But you're not going to tell me unwatchable years from now till eternity is the "cost" of a franchise QB.  You can and should try to win now with the best players possible WHILE working to build a title contender.

Frankly, I am sick of the all or nothing attitude here.  If that the truth, we're never going to get all, because we refuse to accept anything BUT all, so we end up with nothing, and more nothing, and yet more nothing.  Like being 5-11 over and over.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

When was the last time the Jets had a QB who was "decent enough to keep his job as a starter for 10 years"?

This is very true.  Smith would be he best QB the Jets have had in a while, but he's not going to win them a Super Bowl.  He is what he is, and what he is is a decent QB who can't carry a team.  I'd rather roll the dice on a young QB and hope you catch lightning in a bottle. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

This is very true.  Smith would be he best QB the Jets have had in a while, but he's not going to win them a Super Bowl.  He is what he is, and what he is is a decent QB who can't carry a team.  I'd rather roll the dice on a young QB and hope you catch lightning in a bottle. 

I'd rather be 10-6 and in the playoffs every year while we're waiting for that lightning, than 5-11 every year debating which guy in the draft is that lightning.

And no, tanking and going 0-16 every year till we find the lightning is not a real world option or solution, before anyone brings it up.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I'd rather be 10-6 and in the playoffs every year while we're waiting for that lightning, than 5-11 every year debating which guy in the draft is that lightning.

And no, tanking and going 0-16 every year till we find the lightning is not a real world option or solution, before anyone brings it up.

These are fair points.  Being competitive for more than a year or two at a time is something that only a few teams in the NFL can regularly claim, but I think the Jets need to shoot for the moon while they have a chance to do so.  Drafting a young QB will give the fan base HOPE.  I'm not sure Alex Smith would excite many people, and I don't think the team around him over the next few years will be good enough for a Super Bowl run, and if not, what's the point of getting him? The team can be built around a young QB which is a good way to achieve the sustained success we're talking about.  The only thing is you have to pick the right QB.  Easier said than done, obviously, but I'm willing to go all in and get behind a young QB as a fan. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

These are fair points.  Being competitive for more than a year or two at a time is something that only a few teams in the NFL can regularly claim, but I think the Jets need to shoot for the moon while they have a chance to do so.  Drafting a young QB will give the fan base HOPE.  I'm not sure Alex Smith would excite many people, and I don't think the team around him over the next few years will be good enough for a Super Bowl run, and if not, what's the point of getting him? The team can be built around a young QB which is a good way to achieve the sustained success we're talking about.  The only thing is you have to pick the right QB.  Easier said than done, obviously, but I'm willing to go all in and get behind a young QB as a fan. 

I'm going to be honest, I don't give two sh*ts about "what excited the fan base" or if they have hope. 

If you don't have hope, you're not a fan IMO and should find something more sure to follow than sports.  In sports there are no sure things, and fans, true fans, live on hope.  And being competative and in the playoffs provides more hope than being a perennial 5-11 team.

And we're in the unique position where we can do BOTH.  We can trade/sign an Alex Smith AND draft a QB (my pref, Baker Mayfield, given my doubts about Darnold/Rosen and where we pick/cost of trading up) and compete now and hopefully compete later too.  We can have some cake now (and **** we're STARVING for some cake here) and Bake(er) some cake for later to eat as well.

It's not all or nothing.  Win now, and build to win later too.

I'll say this, the very worst move this team can make, a fatal error, is to trade two #1's and two #2's to get Sam f'ing Darnold.  Thats not hope, that's the sickly desperation of the doomed, the franchise-level act of a last second hail mary down by 21 with close to no chance of success.....but sure, I admit, it'll give some fans a little extra "hope".

Till he takes the field, gets obliterated behind a shoddy O-line, and throws 4 INT's in his first game as a pro.

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not advocating for Smith or Cousins you seem to have missed that point. 

I'm saying both are better than Petty,McCown,Hackenberg. 

You say this in every thread that mentions a QB, and most that don't. Everyone knows your opinion on the matter, not that anyone cares. There's no reason to say it again. Unrelated, I also don't want to hear how many years it's been since the Jets won the Super Bowl. 

7 hours ago, adb280z said:

You should realize that Cousins wasn't the full time starter until 2015. Comparing his 2012-14 seasons with Smith is nonsensical. Even with that said, smith only beat him by 3000 yards and he had 30 more starts

... then cousins throwing nearly 20 More interceptions with much less attempts makes it even that Much Worse.

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll say this, the very worst move this team can make, a fatal error, is to trade two #1's and two #2's to get Sam f'ing Darnold.  Thats not hope, that's the sickly desperation of the doomed, the franchise-level act of a last second hail mary down by 21 with close to no chance of success.....but sure, I admit, it'll give some fans a little extra "hope".

Till he takes the field, gets obliterated behind a shoddy O-line, and throws 4 INT's in his first game as a pro.

I have to agree with this. It would be Redskins 2.0

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Would it not be better to have such a QB WHILE drafting/developing/waiting for a legit Franchise QB?

I'd much rather be 9-7/10-6 every year while waiting for the next Tom Manning Peyton Brady than continue to recycle the Fitz's, McCown's, or waste time on the Geno's and Petty's of this world, going 5-10 every year.

Yes, the ultimate goal is a title.  But you're not going to tell me unwatchable years from now till eternity is the "cost" of a franchise QB.  You can and should try to win now with the best players possible WHILE working to build a title contender.

Frankly, I am sick of the all or nothing attitude here.  If that the truth, we're never going to get all, because we refuse to accept anything BUT all, so we end up with nothing, and more nothing, and yet more nothing.  Like being 5-11 over and over.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more.  winning seasons, wildcard appearances aren't interesting to me if you're not winning a SuperBowl. They should be building a team with one goal and one goal only - how can you win a SuperBowl.  

To me that means doing EVERYTHING you can to find the next Top fight QB....You guys make it sound like it's impossible to find.  Just look around the league - there are plenty of guys capable of carrying a team. - Yes, you might miss and have to start over but you have to keep trying until you find him!

Brady, Cam, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Matt Ryan, Luck, Wilson, Wentz, even Eli and Flaco have won SuperBowls...

About 1/3 of the league have legitimate Franchise QB's.  It's not a miracle you're looking for...bringing in an Alex Smith to get you to an occasional wildcard but losing in the first round is of NO interest to me.

Super Bowl championship or bust!

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm going to be honest, I don't give two sh*ts about "what excited the fan base" or if they have hope. 

If you don't have hope, you're not a fan IMO and should find something more sure to follow than sports.  In sports there are no sure things, and fans, true fans, live on hope.  And being competative and in the playoffs provides more hope than being a perennial 5-11 team.

And we're in the unique position where we can do BOTH.  We can trade/sign an Alex Smith AND draft a QB (my pref, Baker Mayfield, given my doubts about Darnold/Rosen and where we pick/cost of trading up) and compete now and hopefully compete later too.  We can have some cake now (and **** we're STARVING for some cake here) and Bake(er) some cake for later to eat as well.

It's not all or nothing.  Win now, and build to win later too.

Regarding hope - I root for the laundry no matter what.  I would sob like a baby if the Jets win a Super Bowl.  Most fans (like myself) have blind hope for their team, but realistically, we understand that for quite some time, the Jets organization has provided us with teams that indicate they either don't know what they're doing, don't have a long term plan, or are seemingly satisfied with being mediocre. 

I'm sick of rooting for journeymen QB's.  Even though Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith didn't work out, it was a pleasure to root for both of them to succeed.  I want to root for a young QB who is leading the way for a young team.  We have half of that equation, now we need the other half. 

That being said, I'm not opposed to the Jets signing Cousins.  IMO he is much better than Smith or any other FA or available QB.  I do NOT want them to get Smith, Bradford, Keenum, or any other mid level veteran.  Getting one of these guys AND drafting a QB in the first round will make it easier to swallow, but this would be highly unlikely. 

I will be fine with ANY QB they draft in the first round, regardless if they trade up to get him or not.  I will smile from ear to ear if we draft Mayfield at #6.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I couldn't disagree with this statement more.  winning seasons, wildcard appearances aren't interesting to me if you're not winning a SuperBowl. They should be building a team with one goal and one goal only - how can you win a SuperBowl.  

To me that means doing EVERYTHING you can to find the next Top fight QB....You guys make it sound like it's impossible to find.  Just look around the league - there are plenty of guys capable of carrying a team. - Yes, you might miss and have to start over but you have to keep trying until you find him!

Brady, Cam, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Matt Ryan, Luck, Wilson, Wentz, even Eli and Flaco have won SuperBowls...

About 1/3 of the league have legitimate Franchise QB's.  It's not a miracle you're looking for...bringing in an Alex Smith to get you to an occasional wildcard but losing in the first round is of NO interest to me.

So you're suggesting we continue to suck until we find a QB. Considering that developing QB's is the Jets strong point, this sounds like a blast of a time.

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Regarding hope - I root for the laundry no matter what.  I would sob like a baby if the Jets win a Super Bowl.  Most fans (like myself) have blind hope for their team, but realistically, we understand that for quite some time, the Jets organization has provided us with teams that indicate they either don't know what they're doing, don't have a long term plan, or are seemingly satisfied with being mediocre. 

I'm sick of rooting for journeymen QB's.  Even though Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith didn't work out, it was a pleasure to root for both of them to succeed.  I want to root for a young QB who is leading the way for a young team.  We have half of that equation, now we need the other half. 

That being said, I'm not opposed to the Jets signing Cousins.  IMO he is much better than Smith or any other FA or available QB.  I do NOT want them to get Smith, Bradford, Keenum, or any other mid level veteran.  Getting one of these guys AND drafting a QB in the first round will make it easier to swallow, but this would be highly unlikely. 

I will be fine with ANY QB they draft in the first round, regardless if they trade up to get him or not.  I will smile from ear to ear if we draft Mayfield at #6.

Agreed.

I would be okay with Cousins too - he's not a McCown, Fitz type.  He's 30 years old, only played 3 years and has put up some big numbers.  He may or may not win us a superbowl but with the proper supporting cast I think he's capable. You'll only have about 5 or 6 years to get it done though

keeping our 3 top 50 picks this year would be a nice thing - because I'm pretty sure going from 6 to 3 is going to cost us a lot.  which, by the way, I have no problem with - you'll have 15 years to build a team around this guy...and a full $100mm in cap space.

It's either Cousins or a 1st round QB - I can't imagine this team doing anything else.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I couldn't disagree with this statement more.  winning seasons, wildcard appearances aren't interesting to me if you're not winning a SuperBowl.

And I honestly don't care what interests you.  

They should be building a team with one goal and one goal only - how can you win a SuperBowl.

You do not go from perennial 5-11 to "Super Bowl favorite" because you draft one player.

So your plan is to stand form on the draft-bust-draft-bust-draft-bust cycle, and go 5-11 for as long as it takes till be win the lottery.

You bring in an Alex Smith to get you to the playoffs while you draft QB's to develop behind him.  When they're legitimately ready, then you make the switch.

That's not what we do.  What we do is play ancient vet JAG's then lose alot, then shove utterly unready/unworthy busty draft pick QB's in till we get our next vet JAG.

Hows that working out so far?

Just now, Lizard King said:

So you're suggesting we continue to suck until we find a QB. Considering that developing QB's is the Jets strong point, this sounds like a blast of a time.

I'm not suggesting you don't try to win - but yes, I'm suggesting you continue to draft QB's in the first round until you find one.  The past doesn't dictate the future.

I have no problem with going after Cousins though - because I consider him a legit franchise QB - but this is a very unique situation where a guy like that comes free.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And I honestly don't care what interests you.  

You do not go from perennial 5-11 to "Super Bowl favorite" because you draft one player.

So your plan is to stand form on the draft-bust-draft-bust-draft-bust cycle, and go 5-11 for as long as it takes till be win the lottery.

You bring in an Alex Smith to get you to the playoffs while you draft QB's to develop behind him.  When they're legitimately ready, then you make the switch.

That's not what we do.  What we do is play ancient vet JAG's then lose alot, then shove utterly unready/unworthy busty draft pick QB's in till we get our next vet JAG.

Hows that working out so far?

why be a douche?

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I'm not suggesting you don't try to win - but yes, I'm suggesting you continue to draft QB's in the first round until you find one.  The past doesn't dictate the future.

I have no problem with going after Cousins though - because I consider him a legit franchise QB - but this is a very unique situation where a guy like that comes free.

Well, it's nice to see that you can be convinced of changing your position so easily.

... then cousins throwing nearly 20 More interceptions with much less attempts makes it even that Much Worse.
20 more TDs, 16 more INTs, 2000 yards, Cousins is better and hasn't had the weapons that smith had.

The way things go for us, who would be shocked if we don't sign a FA not named McCown and do not pick a QB in the 1st round??

It seems as if Rosen and Darnold are the two prize catches of the QB class.   Are any of these two QB's far superior to Mayfield, Allen, Jackson (had to include him)?  The cost to trade up for one of them is big and hurts the rest of the teams development.  If they are truly worth it (no one really knows) then do it.  If not, stay at #6 pick one of the other guys and keep the rest of our picks.

To sign a FA, Cousins is the best of the bunch.  Is he worth 25-30 million?  In reality no he inst.  That money should be for the Brady's and a few other top notch QB's  but every year $$$ wil be rising and this is the going price right now for a top 10-15 QB at his age.

Archived