Rumor Chiefs to explore trading Alex Smith

joewilly12

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith being available to trade has no bearing on the Jets. 

1) I highly doubt that the Jets have any interest. Everything coming out of 1 Jets drive points at drafting a QB in the 1st and doing everything in their power to move up. Even if they did trade for him it would be because they couldn’t resign McCown and need a vet to groom out 1st round QB. 

2) The chiefs are not trading him to their hated division rivals.  So get the idea of him going to Denver in a trade out of your mind.  If you’re counting on Smith to Den so Den doesn’t take a QB ahead of us....fuggetabouta. 

3) Even if the Browns do trade for him, they’ll still go QB at 1/1.  Smith isn’t the answer for them and neither is Kizer.  

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If they don’t need their excess draft picks, why not just trade a bunch of their bottom picks for just another valued 2nd rounder ? They are more than a yr away, probably 2. By then Alex Smith will be 36. They don’t want him. Smith only value is to a win now team. 

Because they can grade the rest of their team competently knowing what to spend their resources on in the offseason. It's much harder to know if you have decent players with a rookie playing too early and making mistakes. It also opens them up to trading the top pick and selecting Mayfield or Allen (both of whom they have showed interest in) 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

In an odd turn of events I think it will and then they gain flexibility to pick a QB #4 and still have picks from the #1 pick’s deal. That’s ideal

If Smith is traded there on March 14th and the I think the Broncos and Jets will offer the most depending on who loses out on Cousins. Cleveland may not trade it but if they like Allen and Mayfield maybe taking them at 4 and letting them grow for a year or two plus a haul for #1 is worth it for them. I'd take Darnold if I'm the Browns but ya never know.

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'll be honest I think not having Kelce destroyed their chances more than Alex Smith's play. Play calling became suspect at best in the 2nd half.

It all plays into it because Alex Smith can't look anything more than disastrously average without freak talent at TE (Kelce), RB (Hunt), and WR (Hill).  He lost one of those things with a 21-3 lead and came crashing back down to Earth.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Better than McCown,Petty,Hackenberg. 

True still do not want.   He might be good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win once he gets there.   If KC is dumping him to go with a young gun, why should we want him.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It all plays into it because Alex Smith can't look anything more than disastrously average without freak talent at TE (Kelce), RB (Hunt), and WR (Hill).  He lost one of those things with a 21-3 lead and came crashing back down to Earth.

But he has shown the ability to throw the ball deep to Hill, why not call plays like that? Reid kept everything close to the LoS and wanted his defense to hold the lead.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Alex Smith didn't lose that game yesterday, Andy Reid did. 

Didn't watch the game so couldn't say.   I can say living in Philly and seeing Reid up close he is a good regular season coach, but not a great playoff coach.   Still he has an eye for talent and if he doesn't think Smith can get it done, I'll take his opinion over mac/bowles.

3 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

The only thing I'd say about that is if you didn't extend his deal when traded for, he's only got one year left on his contract which gives you a lot of flexibility going forward.  If you sign Cousins to a multi yr $100+ mill contract and it goes sour that can have cap implications for a long time.

So were going to trade a pick for a one year rental of a mediocre QB....no thanks.

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

We are picking 6th, we have 2 extra 2nd rounders, in a stacked QB draft, and we are stroking over a 34 year old Chad clone. SOJ! 

A few are stroking I'm not I'm just looking at the lesser of evils..I want McCown,Petty,Hackenberg gone ANYONE but them and knowing Macc and Bowles like old re-treads. 

Good enough to make sure no one gets fired, not good enough to win anything. I fully expect us to give up both of our second rounders for him.
I wouldn't mind him if the Jets draft a QB but don't see both happening considering they need the 2nd rounders to move up so in Jets fashion they will trade them for Smith and no top QB...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, paulyjet said:

No thanks. Draft a qb at 6.

The two options, trading a low DP (5th or less, otherwise screw it) for Smith and drafting a QB at 6 are not mutually exclusive....especially if we STAY at 6 (which might be wise rather than giving up a lot of this draft and next with all the holes we have to fill) and draft someone that might need a year.

Some of us think that it would be unwise to 'trade the farm' for Darnold and/or Rosen (but would take either if they fell to us) and say getting Smith and Allen at 6 might not be so bad.  It's a damn sight better than McCown at least IMO.

11 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

I wouldn't mind him if the Jets draft a QB but don't see both happening considering they need the 2nd rounders to move up so in Jets fashion they will trade them for Smith and no top QB...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Trading a 2nd rd DP in our position especially for 1 yr of Alex Smith would be criminal and unwise...anyone trading a 2nd rd DP for Smith is gonna extend him for a few years as a viable option as a starter.

This I would not be a fan of.

Archived