Rumor Chiefs to explore trading Alex Smith

joewilly12

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'd rather be 10-6 and in the playoffs every year while we're waiting for that lightning, than 5-11 every year debating which guy in the draft is that lightning.

And no, tanking and going 0-16 every year till we find the lightning is not a real world option or solution, before anyone brings it up.

You only go 10-6 and in the playoffs with a competent Qb if the rest of the team is brilliantly built and coached and you are in a weak div.

You don;t have to tank but you have to be AGGRESSIVE to go up and get a QB you love even at a high cost.

Goff and Wentz are looking like pretty great moves by now.

And, the competent vets you get these days are old.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You only go 10-6 and in the playoffs with a competent Qb if the rest of the team is brilliantly built and coached and you are in a weak div.

You don;t have to tank but you have to be AGGRESSIVE to go up and get a QB you love even at a high cost.

Goff and Wentz are looking like pretty great moves by now.

And, the competent vets you get these days are old.

Hate to break it to you, Alex Smith instead of McCown, and we're 9-7/10-6 this past year.

So yeah.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I couldn't disagree with this statement more.  winning seasons, wildcard appearances aren't interesting to me if you're not winning a SuperBowl. They should be building a team with one goal and one goal only - how can you win a SuperBowl.  

To me that means doing EVERYTHING you can to find the next Top fight QB....You guys make it sound like it's impossible to find.  Just look around the league - there are plenty of guys capable of carrying a team. - Yes, you might miss and have to start over but you have to keep trying until you find him!

Brady, Cam, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Matt Ryan, Luck, Wilson, Wentz, even Eli and Flaco have won SuperBowls...

About 1/3 of the league have legitimate Franchise QB's.  It's not a miracle you're looking for...bringing in an Alex Smith to get you to an occasional wildcard but losing in the first round is of NO interest to me.

Super Bowl championship or bust!

My god, you are doomed to a lifetime of disappointment and disinterest....even the the most successful franchises are going to fail waaaay more than they succeed. Just enjoy the sport

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hate to break it to you, Alex Smith instead of McCown, and we're 9-7/10-6 this past year.

So yeah.

I disagree, Mccown played over his head to the level of your standard winning game manager QB.

We have no Travis Kelcey, we have no leading the league in rushing RB.

Anderson is our version of Tyreek Hill

Our oiline is not the KC oline.

Our defense is not the KC defense.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I disagree, Mccown played over his head to the level of your standard winning game manager QB.

We lost what, 4 games where we were winning and either McCown blew it late or our D blew it an our O (as it was all year late in games) came up empty?

Keep our picks, draft a QB, sign Smith.  Use the rest to rebuild the O-line and bolster the RB corp.  Our WR's are perfectly fine as is.  We win ten games in 2019 and compete in the post.

1 minute ago, adb280z said:

Alex Smith and the jets = 1 and done in the playoffs. Whoopee!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah, that sucks so much more than being 5-11.  And 5-11.  And 5-11.  And 5-11.  And 5-11.  etc.

All or nothing, the Jets Fan way.

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Thats horrible.  So Jetsy I actually believe it could happen.  

Would go down as one of the worst trades in NY Jets history.

2 firsts and 2 seconds is a fairly standard price for a move from 6 to 1.  We might get away with punting one of the 2 second rounders into a future year, but I'd rather not head into the 2018 draft without a pick in the first 2 rounds.  And if you believe Darnold or Rosen are franchise QBs & don't think that about both Allen & Mayfield, it's well worth the price.

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

if anything the strength of this class at QB is in the amount of options there are, all are flawed or have questions but there are a good 6 or 7 guys who could very possibly be picked in the first 50 selections. Stay at 6 or even drop back a bit and draft our future QB unless the value is there for a guy you totally believe in. We are more than just a QB away IMO.

There is the rub.  If there is a QB that you believe in, the value is #1 overall (and then some).  Cheaping out has gotten us sh*tty vets and poor prospects. The difference between the #1 QB on your board and a value pick QB is astronomical.  I don't give a flaming **** if you have to pass on a couple of can't miss prospects to get that QB.  Even if they aren't at safety.

All the people whining about Cousins at "$25M-$30M" should consider that whoever trades for Smith is paying $17M for 2018 and almost certainly extending him at better than $20M per.  I like Smith more than board consensus.  He made some great throws and was let down by several drops.  He is also considerably more athletic than people think.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

2 firsts and 2 seconds is a fairly standard price for a move from 6 to 1.

Which wouldn't make it any less one of the worst trades in Jets history.

And if you believe Darnold or Rosen are franchise QBs & don't think that about both Allen & Mayfield, it's well worth the price.

No, it's not. 

A QB is vital, it's not the only man on the field.  Perhaps folks need to stop thinking they're following the NBA, because the NFL isn't the NBA.

Yes, we need a much better QB than our recent fail group.  No, we do not need to trade our future for it.  

Nothing is free.  You trade up for an injury risk like Rosen, then put him behind this half-ass O-line?  Rosen won't be worth much then.

Worse, you trade up for Darnold, an almost sure-thing bust IMO and future 25+ INT machine at the pro level?  AND put him behind this O-line with only McGuire and Powell to save him?  

If you believe in these two players, nothing I say will change your mind.  But I see nothing to cause me to believe in them, and the best argument so far I've heard from them is a call to authority fallacy of "well, the scouts say they're the consensus #1/#2" as if that settled it.  Rosen and Darnold are no Manning/Rothlisberger/Rivers.  They're not Winston/Marriota.  They're not even Goff/Wentz.  They're the worst 1/2 set of QB's I've seen in a long time.  On par with last year if not worse.

Macc will never pull this trade, same way Cousins will never even visit the Jets, much less be signed here, so most of these exchanges are just mental masturbation.  But I will be very depressed if we trade 4 picks, 2 #1's get Sam f'ing Darnold.  Dear lord.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

McCown threw 18tds and 9ints with 67% completion percentage and almost 3,000 yards it is very difficult seeing Alex Smith with inferior weapons and coaching topping that for the jets to go 9-7

3 hours ago, faba said:

I do not want to give Cousins 25 million a year Smith is viable alternative as we groom a drafted QB

Cousins just costs money.  Smith could cost a draft pick.  

Cousins would be signed for 3+ years.  Smith if traded for is only under contract for 1 year.  

The draft pick used to acquire Smith could be used to draft a center that will cost $25mm+ less over 4 years than the FA Center the Jets need to sign, and the drafted Center could end up being better.

We lost what, 4 games where we were winning and either McCown blew it late or our D blew it an our O (as it was all year late in games) came up empty?

Keep our picks, draft a QB, sign Smith.  Use the rest to rebuild the O-line and bolster the RB corp.  Our WR's are perfectly fine as is.  We win ten games in 2019 and compete in the post.

You have the right idea. But i’d Not be willing to give up a high, high pick.. maybe a 2019 4th that can turn into a 3rd.

Aye...... There are those who shall be nameless that insist any top vet would want guarantees that they wont draft a qb. 

I disagree, but be prepared for some backlash laddie

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Cousins just costs money.  Smith could cost a draft pick.  

Cousins would be signed for 3+ years.  Smith if traded for is only under contract for 1 year.  

The draft pick used to acquire Smith could be used to draft a center that will cost $25mm+ less over 4 years than the FA Center the Jets need to sign, and the drafted Center could end up being better.

This is the point...you only need Alex to play for one year because we would have the #6 overall pick waiting in the wings.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is the point...you only need Alex to play for one year because we would have the #6 overall pick waiting in the wings.

OK, but why should the Jets give up a premium draft pick for a one year rental who couldn't even win a playoff game with the Chiefs.  Draft the QB at 6, sign McCown for half the money, and let McCown and the QB take them lumps, develop and learn.  Next year the Jets get another decent draft pick, and then make a deep playoff run in 2019.  

With Smith you end up paying $4mm per win, not make the playoffs anyway, and then get a lower draft pick.  It is a lesser version of what the Jets did this year (which tells me that the Smith option could happen).

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

OK, but why should the Jets give up a premium draft pick for a one year rental who couldn't even win a playoff game with the Chiefs.  Draft the QB at 6, sign McCown for half the money, and let McCown and the QB take them lumps, develop and learn.  Next year the Jets get another decent draft pick, and then make a deep playoff run in 2019.  

With Smith you end up paying $4mm per win, not make the playoffs anyway, and then get a lower draft pick.  It is a lesser version of what the Jets did this year (which tells me that the Smith option could happen).

...why would you want to go 5-11 game? This is the same point @Warfish made.. paying out 30 million for a QB you have to start more than 3-4 years automatically puts QB out of the question at 6..and I’m not doing that if I’m GM.

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

So yeah.

I'm no fan of Alex Smith, but i agree with this.  As good as McCown played, he still couldn't finish a few games that a better QB would have likely won for us in 2017.

47 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm no fan of Alex Smith, but i agree with this.  As good as McCown played, he still couldn't finish a few games that a better QB would have likely won for us in 2017.

Be assured, I do NOT love Alex Smith.  At all.

But the all or nothing route has shown to be a loser here.

So lets try something different, lets sign a legit NFL Starter for now, AND Draft a QB who legitimately could be the future for later.

No more JAG Vet "bridge" fill-in's a la Fitz or McCown.

No more reach risky picks a la Geno and Hack.

Alex Smith can hold down now and compete for the postseason, legitimately.

And as for who to pick, inset whomever you like, I like Mayfield at #6 (no traded up needed IMO).

Smith/Mayfield/Hack in 2018 is a million miles better, in every way, than McCown/Petty/Hack was in 2017.

Bill parcells always said he has one goal at the start of a season. Guess what? Is it winning the superbowl? 

No. Its to simply make the playoffs. 

When you make the playoffs, its a new mini season. 

We need to get good enough to make the post season fairly consistently. After that, anything is possible on any given sunday

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Be assured, I do NOT love Alex Smith.  At all.

But the all or nothing route has shown to be a loser here.

So lets try something different, lets sign a legit NFL Starter for now, AND Draft a QB who legitimately could be the future for later.

No more JAG Vet "bridge" fill-in's a la Fitz or McCown.

No more reach risky picks a la Geno and Hack.

Alex Smith can hold down now and compete for the postseason, legitimately.

And as for who to pick, inset whomever you like, I like Mayfield at #6 (no traded up needed IMO).

Smith/Mayfield/Hack in 2018 is a million miles better, in every way, than McCown/Petty/Hack was in 2017.

if we had a different regime, i would agree.

however, we all know how this would play out.  the drafted qb would not play unless there is injury.  smith would start for 3 years, get to the playoffs once and lose in the wild card round.  bowles and mccags will get another extension.  we will sit here debating whether the drafted qb is any good, and bowles will provide cryptic commentary that he isn't, that the best qb is playing, and the next thing you know they'll draft another qb in 3 years and replace smith with a guy like a 35 year old flacco who is on the verge of being washed up, so they can 'groom' another drafted qb.  

other teams would take on smith and play him for a year, then move on and go with the drafted qb like mahomes.  

this cycle does not work with bowles.  he will never, ever truly develop a drafted qb unless and until he has no other options.  truth, he is very, very lucky that mccown had a career year, or else he may well be out of a job right now along with mccags.  if petty and/or hack had played all year this team would have won maximum 2 games, probably not that many, and they would have lost to the browns and would have had the first pick.  that's how much better mccown is than petty, and as far as we can presume, hack as well.

bowles has gone on record saying that being competitive isn't good enough, but naming alex smith as your starter is doing just that, and the playoff loss said it all.  no points in the 2nd half when the team lost by 1 point.  just as many say there was no point in playing mccown this year (which i disagree with), there would be no point to smith starting for the jets in 2018.  the team would once again be capping its upside, and other teams willing to take even calculated risks will likely be stronger than the jets in 2 years when the pats regime falls apart.

watching mccown this year really gave me hope for this regime.  it told me that a lot of the team's woes on offense are confined to how bad the qbs have been.  give this team a real qb coach and OC, and a qb who can execute an offense, and they're winning games and competing in most.  that's more than i can say for the offensive coaches when geno and sanchez were here.

6 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Bill parcells always said he has one goal at the start of a season. Guess what? Is it winning the superbowl? 

We need to get good enough to make the post season fairly consistently. After that, anything is possible on any given sunday

So you're saying Tennessee has a chance?:D

9 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

That's right...just get in the tournament he use to say. Anything can happen at that point. Team gets hot, opposing teams have injuries, you just never know. Falcons JUST made the playoffs, were fighting it out with Seattle. Now they're rolling again.

On 1/7/2018 at 2:02 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The hope is that we if we sign Cousins, Macc uses 2 out of our 3 1st/2nd round picks on offense to surround him with enough talent to excel. He proved in Washington he can produce with average talent and I think with above average talent he can be really really good. 

I hope so too but I doubt they will. If the Jets cut Mo and Ealy they will probably go D-line x2.

Archived