JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

Blaming everything offense on Morton is Bowles' way of dancing around the QB issue and using our top picks on D again.

DeFilippo was Mark Sanchez's QB coach in '09. He also coached McCown in Cleveland.

Bowles is gambling that flippo can fix Hackenberg, so with a new OC we're good to roll with McCown, Hack, and some shiny new defensive toys.

Haley is plan B. Reminds me of when Reid bolted for KC and Jets scooped Mornhinweg from Philly's dumpster.  

Plan C is Bowles misses out on both by waiting too long to see what flippo does.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shed no tears for Morton. But fair is fair; SOMEBODY had the idea that run/run/3rd and 8 desperation pass was their idea of a good offense each week. SOMEBODY drafted braindead game plans week after week that changed up nothing. SOMEBODY also allowed running plays to be called and did not insist on a  hurry up down 2 scores numerous 4th quarters. If you are blaming Morton because he tried to use the one weapon he had on hand, Anderson, as much as he could, don't understand that. Isn't that the idea, maximizing player's talents to score points? SOMEBODY habitually punted on 4th down late in games down 2 scores as if home field was on the line. If the head coach wanted to have nothing but running plays on 1st and goal form the one, he had a microphone on his headset that very day; instead he stood there, silent, with that empty look on his face . As to each if these situations, that SOMEBODY who did NOTHING was Todd Bowles . He could or should have said something right then and there on these occasions.If not, what does he do on the sideline at all.  Couglin yanked playcalling from Sean Payton, Parcells did it to Charlie Weis. That Bowles did nothing and is now blaming Morton is ever more the reason his passive aggressive act deserved to be fired .

Bowles shows himself to not only being a crappy head coach, but a f___ing coward.If he had a problem, he had say and then some. Instead he runs off to cry to Lil'Manish. What a pussy.  

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I cant think of a game last year where a defensive collapse alone cost us the game. Even the collapse against Miami, turnovers by McCown led to points. 

collapse?  How about getting owned through the whole game?  Is that better?

Firing John Morton is such a mind-numbingly stupid move by Todd Bowles that it literally ranks the Jets with the Cleveland Browns on the asininity scale. This is a guy who came in with virtually no talent on offense, and yet the Jets routinely scored 20-30 points per game (although there were definitely a few clunkers, but the offense scored against playoff bound teams as well).

How about firing Kacy Rodgers, who had far more talent to work with on the defensive side of the ball, yet his defense routinely got torched, barely produced turnovers and ended up routinely surrendering 30-40 points? 

Of course, the guy who ultimately needs to get fired is Todd Bowles. He is the epitome of incompetence. 

18 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Shed no tears for Morton. But fair is fair; SOMEBODY had the idea that run/run/3rd and 8 desperation pass was their idea of a good offense each week. SOMEBODY drafted braindead game plans week after week that changed up nothing. SOMEBODY also allowed running plays to be called and did not insist on a  hurry up down 2 scores numerous 4th quarters. If you are blaming Morton because he tried to use the one weapon he had on hand, Anderson, as much as he could, don't understand that. Isn't that the idea, maximizing player's talents to score points? SOMEBODY habitually punted on 4th down late in games down 2 scores as if home field was on the line. If the head coach wanted to have nothing but running plays on 1st and goal form the one, he had a microphone on his headset that very day; instead he stood there, silent, with that empty look on his face . As to each if these situations, that SOMEBODY who did NOTHING was Todd Bowles . He could or should have said something right then and there on these occasions.If not, what does he do on the sideline at all.  Couglin yanked playcalling from Sean Payton, Parcells did it to Charlie Weis. That Bowles did nothing and is now blaming Morton is ever more the reason his passive aggressive act deserved to be fired .

Bowles shows himself to not only being a crappy head coach, but a f___ing coward.If he had a problem, he had say and then some. Instead he runs off to cry to Lil'Manish. What a pussy.  

Why even have an OC if that guy is not responsible for a single thing wrong on offense? They fired that SOMEBODY! 

As much appeal as there is in believing HC ran to the beat writer, it probably didn’t happen that way. Only snitch on the staff seemed to be Morton for one thing, and throwing Morton under the bus *after* an extension does nothing to save his job. 

Another way to look at it is that Bowles and GM guy are getting fired if 2018 sucks. There is not a single doubt about this. Let them fall on the swords of their choice, Morton was neither good nor the first choice last year. If your job was on the line and you had a drag of an employee with literally no track record of success at his position....

8 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Blaming everything offense on Morton is Bowles' way of dancing around the QB issue and using our top picks on D again.

DeFilippo was Mark Sanchez's QB coach in '09. He also coached McCown in Cleveland.

Bowles is gambling that flippo can fix Hackenberg, so with a new OC we're good to roll with McCown, Hack, and some shiny new defensive toys.

Haley is plan B. Reminds me of when Reid bolted for KC and Jets scooped Mornhinweg from Philly's dumpster.  

Plan C is Bowles misses out on both by waiting too long to see what flippo does.

• Regardless of how you slice it, firing Morton after 1 year of apparent semi-competence is not a sign of organizational greatness.  I feel bad for Morton somewhat, but he obviously will get his contract termination payments, and I would also think someone else will hire him.
  • It is not hard to see though, based on how successful cold-weather teams generally function, that Morton's offense may not be the best fit for what Bowles wants to do, and that Bowles could want to replace Morton/upgrade him, with someone else.  
  • But it is not hard to also think that Bowles and Mac are using Morton as a scapegoat here, and that Bowles overall supervision/game management and Mac's construction of a roster weak at RB, WR and OL (particularly OL that can run block) were equal contributors to the relative lack of offensive production.
  • Ignoring the mismanagement the defense, given the weight of the draft picks there, will be MacBowles Watergate.
  • We like to think that the Jets FO is completely inept, but sometimes they can surprise you.  This can be a great opportunity for the Jets if they can pick up a Haley, DeFellippo or even Arians to run the offense.  I think they are all upgrades from Morton (but I was happy going into 2018 with Morton-the defense is a much bigger concern).  But if the Jets in 2018 end up with the equivalent of John Morton (first time OC), I think firing Morton will be step 1 in the "We Extended MacBowles to fire them in 2018" Progression.  That further confirms to me that there is is something in the works with Arians and/or Goodwin.  A Bowles/Kacy/Goodwin Triumverate (with Arians in the background) is an interesting concept.  Hopefully, its Haley.  I wish the Jets HC was McDermott, McVay or even Gase.

22 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Firing John Morton is such a mind-numbingly stupid move by Todd Bowles that it literally ranks the Jets with the Cleveland Browns on the asininity scale. This is a guy who came in with virtually no talent on offense, and yet the Jets routinely scored 20-30 points per game (although there were definitely a few clunkers, but the offense scored against playoff bound teams as well).

How about firing Kacy Rodgers, who had far more talent to work with on the defensive side of the ball, yet his defense routinely got torched, barely produced turnovers and ended up routinely surrendering 30-40 points? 

Of course, the guy who ultimately needs to get fired is Todd Bowles. He is the epitome of incompetence. 

How does a team routinely score 20-30 ppg while averaging 18.4?  FWIW, the guy wasn't their first choice and things were pretty sh*tty when McCown went down.  If they had issues with the guy with Petty they probably got a better feel for how he'd be with a rookie QB.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How does a team routinely score 20-30 ppg while averaging 18.4?  FWIW, the guy wasn't their first choice and things were pretty sh*tty when McCown went down.  If they had issues with the guy with Petty they probably got a better feel for how he'd be with a rookie QB.

Short of there being any weird crap going on behind the scenes, the bold is the only part that would really make any sense for me.  If the team was so unhappy with how he handled Petty (and to a lesser extent Hack) this year, I could at least generally understand why they would want to make a change, if they truly expect to be finding their QB of the future this offseason.  After all, that was basically the reported mindset for why the Jets fired the QB coach last year when apparently he was originally penciled in as the future OC once Gailey retired.

Now of course the same can be said for Macc and Bowles, but considering they were already decided to be kept around, it's not like they needed to double down on that.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

You do understand the difference between disagreeing with your boss and usurping his authority, right? Bowles didn't let him go because Morton had a different view. No, he let him go because he did not follow Bowles directives. Perhaps Bowles should consider going the Bellichick route of having fewer coaches. It is more productive in that the HC is better able to keep control of message and implementing game plans.

But I thought the narrative was that Bowles stayed away from the offense and that he was going to get more involved this season. If that is the case I'm glad Morton didn't follow his directives . imagine what the offense would have looked like if he did.  Bottom line Todd is running out of excuses and people to throw under the bus , he's the bus driver its time to put up or shut up on both sides of the ball. 

25 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Short of there being any weird crap going on behind the scenes, the bold is the only part that would really make any sense for me.  If the team was so unhappy with how he handled Petty (and to a lesser extent Hack) this year, I could at least generally understand why they would want to make a change, if they truly expect to be finding their QB of the future this offseason.  After all, that was basically the reported mindset for why the Jets fired the QB coach last year when apparently he was originally penciled in as the future OC once Gailey retired.

Now of course the same can be said for Macc and Bowles, but considering they were already decided to be kept around, it's not like they needed to double down on that.

Well, the stat somebody posted earlier relating to success in the 1st and 3rd quarters probably bodes better for Bates than Morton.  Bates was supposedly a big part of the game-planning and scripting. In Seattle he supposedly scripted 18 plays to start each game, like Bill Walsh.  Surprised that Bowles liked him because Carroll was supposedly upset at his insistence on forcing passes to crappy WRs and his refusal to carve an identity with Marshawn Lynch.  Others claimed his desire for chunk plays didn't fit well with Hasselbeck who was used to playing the WC.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

How can people make statements like this when the offense had NO DAMN TALENT!

We scored 23 vs jacksonville (win), 38 vs chiefs (win) 27 vs panthers, (loss)

People are acting as if the NY Jets had a good QB, good backs, a good oline and good WRs and underachieved thus we won 5 games.  this whole excuse narrative is so damn laughable.

Thank you...

Are we kidding.....Bill Walsh could have been running the Jets offense last year and we wouldn't have been great!

Folks act like being a coach is like being some sort of magician or wizard, it isn't.....

The Jets were and are bereft of talent and only delusional Jets fans somehow believe that McCown and Co were being "held back" by the coaching...even the Jets players by their statements know that they lack talent and hence their now leaked criticism that the Jets are "not" the NO Saints....

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Shouldn’t Maccagnan have to answer a few questions about this, or is our crackerjack crew of preemie cub reporters too busy with the XBox’s their parents got them for Christmas to do some legwork? 

Mac certainly should be held to the fire but its been painfully obvious that the Jets drafts have been influenced and weighted on the defensive side of the ball. Shouldn't the unit with all the "new toys' and #1 draft picks be scrutinized more than the offensive side. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Mac certainly should be held to the fire but its been painfully obvious that the Jets drafts have been influenced and weighted on the defensive side of the ball. Shouldn't the unit with all the "new toys' and #1 draft picks be scrutinized more than the offensive side. 

Were they better than 2016? Answer that question

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

McCown goes down, the offense goes down with him? 

Who looks like the most important factor in an offense, McCown or Morton?

So are you saying the game plans stayed the same and it was just a matter of McCown vs Petty or will you openly admit the Jets went ultra conserative with Petty which further makes Todd's want of more running laughable at best. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So are you saying the game plans stayed the same and it was just a matter of McCown vs Petty or will you openly admit the Jets went ultra conserative with Petty which further makes Todd's want of more running laughable at best. 

I don't think they were ultra conservative. They let Petty pass the football.

Ultra conservative means 20 passes a game or less

Total passes in his 3 starts: 39, 28, 36

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Right. That's on Morton. If Bowles had any impact, Petty wouldn't have thrown AT ALL.

If your QB throws 39 passes in a game, that's not ultra conservative.

God , you can't be this thick headed can you .

How many games were the Jets losing in . Newsflash 5-11 football teams are forced to pass because they are losing.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

God , you can't be this thick headed can you .

How many games were the Jets losing in . Newsflash 5-11 football teams are forced to pass because they are losing.

Not if they are "ultra conservative" as you call it. Bowles is stubborn, why wouldnt he just keep running the football, if he is as stubborn as you believe he is.

Serious question, because I can't be bothered reading through any of the random nonsensical articles:  do these "rumors" that Bowles' great issue with the offense was simply a desire to run more exist anywhere outside of Jets' fans saying as much?  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it were true, but from what I've seen, this seems to be turning into another one of those circumstances where we're starting to argue our own random guesses as hard evidence.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Serious question, because I can't be bothered reading through any of the random nonsensical articles:  do these "rumors" that Bowles' great issue with the offense was simply a desire to run more exist anywhere outside of Jets' fans saying as much?  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it were true, but from what I've seen, this seems to be turning into another one of those circumstances where we're starting to argue our own random guesses as hard evidence.

I mean the only person who complained about not running enough was Forte. 

Meh.  I think everyone is over reacting.  If the FO and TB didn’t like Morton, now was the time to fire him.  

The development of our young WRs isn’t gonna suffer much with a new OC.  What’s more important from a continuity standpoint is the QB and the Oline.  Both of which are in for major overhauls this offseason. 

So firing a mediocre (at best) OC now, even though it’s been multiple OCs in a few short years doesn’t get my panties in a bunch. 

In fact, with our high draft picks and extra cap space we’re probably an attractive destination for a good OC who will see the opportunity to build and develop the offense he wants with his players. 

Archived