JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Meh.  I think everyone is over reacting.  If the FO and TB didn’t like Morton, now was the time to fire him.  

The development of our young WRs isn’t gonna suffer much with a new OC.  What’s more important from a continuity standpoint is the QB and the Oline.  Both of which are in for major overhauls this offseason. 

So firing a mediocre (at best) OC now, even though it’s been multiple OCs in a few short years doesn’t get my panties in a bunch. 

In fact, with our high draft picks and extra cap space we’re probably an attractive destination for a good OC who will see the opportunity to build and develop the offense he wants with his players. 

Really tough to call a guy a mediocre oc when he has perhaps the worst talent in the whole league to work with.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Serious question, because I can't be bothered reading through any of the random nonsensical articles:  do these "rumors" that Bowles' great issue with the offense was simply a desire to run more exist anywhere outside of Jets' fans saying as much?  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it were true, but from what I've seen, this seems to be turning into another one of those circumstances where we're starting to argue our own random guesses as hard evidence.

Serious answer. This is whole thread is filled with opinions on opinions. Fans on here read an opinion, comment on the opinion, argue the opinion, and it ends up being facts that are quoted in every thread. A lot of drama queens on here 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Because if they are upset at the lack of progress from Hackenberg and Petty, why would you only cut off one branch?

You missed the point. It's just a stunt to make the new QB hype go away. Firing Bates would be overkill.

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Disappointing. Best OC we have had in years. 

Oh really?  Tell us why.  People made the same claims about Gailey after his 1st year here as well as Morningwheg.  Schottenheimer was everyone's favorite one year in.  

Morton did nothing special from what I can see.  

31 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Oh really?  Tell us why.  People made the same claims about Gailey after his 1st year here as well as Morningwheg.  Schottenheimer was everyone's favorite one year in.  

Morton did nothing special from what I can see.  

Sure. I thought he had an innovative, modern take on a WCO. I thought he had some of the worst offensive talent in the league and, for the most part, managed to field a competitive offense, week in and week out. I don't think the guy was perfect, but I thought the offense had a precision to it that it had not had in years, and again, we easily had bottom 5 offensive personnel in the NFL. 

The bottom line: Another year, another offensive coordinator, another season of excuses pertaining to the players having to learn a new system. Nothing changes. Some continuity would have been nice.

IMO, the best part of this news is it makes it more unlikely that we will waste another year with McCown (But, I sincerely doubt we were going to do that anyway). 

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I love that Bowles pulled the trigger and let Morton go. He was not going to wait to see if they could work it out. No, he is in charge, made the decision and he took action. I know he takes a lot of crap on this board, but Bowles is a cold, hard man when it come to what it takes to put together a winning team. I like the cut of his jib. He's still got some growing to do, but he has the personal qualities of a very good head football coach. And I do sincerely believe he will end up being a great HC. Even the great Bill Parcells couldn't always win. In fact over 25% of BP's seasons as a HC ended without a losing record. We Jet fans have been patient for so long, but for the first time since they hired Dick Steinberg as GM, they actually understand the goal is to create long term success, rather than become instant winners. I'm willing to wait a little longer. I feel, in my bones, that this organization is on it's way to great things. The hard work and sense of accomplishment and pride of turning a loser into a winner is what creates a winning "organization" allowing those that follow to excel fueled by the high expectations set by their predecessors.  

this is the most optimistic post I've seen around these parts in a very long time.  I applaud your positive view.  It is very refreshing. =D>

I also think you are insane, but never mind that.  :P

5 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Between Morton and Bowles, I would keep Morton every day of the week.  He was one of the better OC's the Jets have had in a while.  Bowles on the other hand...

How so? You and a few others are saying this.  But it surely didn't show on the field with even a remote sense of consistency.  So after reading 20+ pages of this, I have yet to be shown any evidence that Morton has been the best OC in a long time for the Jets.  None whatsoever.  The stats don't bear it out and points scored don't either.

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sure. I thought he had an innovative, modern take on a WCO. I thought he had some of the worst offensive talent in the league and, for the most part, managed to field a competitive offense, weak in and weak out. 

Freudian slip?

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

this is the most optimistic post I've seen around these parts in a very long time.  I applaud your positive view.  It is very refreshing. =D>

I also think you are insane, but never mind that.  :P

He also used the phrases "I can feel it in my bones" and "I like the cut of his jib."  Outstanding.

Just now, Dcat said:

How so? You and a few others are saying this.  But it surely didn't show on the field with even a remote sense of consistency.  

Again, we had very little offensive talent. As the saying goes, it's the jimmies and joes, not the X's and O's. Coming into the season, we were expected to have one of the worst offenses in NFL history. We were starting Josh ******* McCown, our number 1 receiver was out for the season, our offensive line was considered to be utter sh*t, etc. 

Morton managed to field a relatively competitive offense, all things considered. He got a career year out of McCown and worked around a very suspect offensive line. I'm just not sure what people were looking for this year. We need more talent, fellas . . . starting with a decent quarterback who doesn't check down every other play. 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

How so? You and a few others are saying this.  But it surely didn't show on the field with even a remote sense of consistency.  So after reading 20+ pages of this, I have yet to be shown any evidence that Morton has been the best OC in a long time for the Jets.  None whatsoever.  The stats don't bear it out and points scored don't either.

We won too many games

4 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I didn't find anything special about Morton's play calling.

Neither did I.  Morton showed nothing special at all and the offense he gave us in the Denver game was putrid and now I'm reading it was all him that day (which really makes no sense).  The Jets are one seriously f-cked up organization. Dysfunctional should be the team nickname.

Seriously, how many teams had worse offensive personnel than us this year? 2? 3? I challenge anyone to name 5 teams with distinctly worse offensive talent. 

Another year, another offensive coordinator. Meanwhile, we keep Kacey Rogers, the coordinator of our underachieving, 25th ranked defense. Makes sense. 

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sure. I thought he had an innovative, modern take on a WCO. I thought he had some of the worst offensive talent in the league and, for the most part, managed to field a competitive offense, week in and week out. I don't think the guy was perfect, but I thought the offense had a precision to it that it had not had in years, and again, we easily had bottom 5 offensive personnel in the NFL. 

The bottom line: Another year, another offensive coordinator, another season of excuses pertaining to the players having to learn a new system. Nothing changes. Some continuity would have been nice.

IMO, the best part of this news is it makes it more unlikely that we will waste another year with McCown (But, I sincerely doubt we were going to do that anyway). 

I completely disagree with the bold above.  The offense was as inconsistent as ever and there were too many times where the offense couldn't get out of its own way.  Morton's offense occasionally showed promise.  Look I'm not saying that Morton was a slug of a coordinator, but in this thread people are implying tht he was great and he was as far from great as you can be.  If the players are saying in exit interviews that he was terrible to deal with and if Bowles and the other coaches didn't like him or were rarely on the same page, then now was the right time to make the change.  No player to the best of my knowledge has gone to bat for Morton either.  I find that strange.

10 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

It’s pretty fkn obvious what the implication of my post was. If you need it explaining then perhaps this dsicussion is not for you

Not really. The fact that you remember people having similar sentiments about Chan Gaily and Marty Morninwheg has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not getting rid of Morton was, in fact, a prudent decision. So . . . maybe this discussion is not for you?

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

but in this thread people are implying tht he was great and he was as far from great as you can be. 

Well, I'm not sure about others, but I certainly never implied he was a great offensive coordinator. I implied that he was a competent OC, and more importantly, that our offensive rankings were commiserate with our talent level  (i.e. bottom five offensive talent should be expected to yield bottom 5 offensive rankings)

If the players are saying in exit interviews that he was terribkle to deal with and if Bowles and the other coaches didn't like him or were rarely on the same page, then now was the right time to make the change.  No player to the best of my knowledge has gone to bat for Morton either.  I find that strange.

I Agree

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Another way to look at it is that Bowles and GM guy are getting fired if 2018 sucks. There is not a single doubt about this. Let them fall on the swords of their choice, Morton was neither good nor the first choice last year. If your job was on the line and you had a drag of an employee with literally no track record of success at his position....

Except Morton was the one guy who could have saved Todd Bowles job next yr. The offense was the least talented in nfl heading into this season. Ok maybe 2nd worse. He made josh McCown, a career jag look like a guy in pro bowl contention. With no real weapons, ( Robbie sometimes ) and a very shaky Oline. Plus the D underachieved badly that it never put the O in a good position. Now had Bowles been an Offensive tracked coach, not 99% Defensivs minded HC, I could agree with you. He could go down calling his own offense, ect. In fact he should have canned his dc who did not have a good season, and take over the D. But bowles has no idea what he is doing on offense. Stability is important for short term success. A lot of guys on O are coming back, now you are bringing in a new OC to switch up all they grew accustomed to. Bowles is entering the unknown with no promise of even coming here from these unknowns, in a era he has zero expertise. I guess Bowles excuse next yr could be, the offense did not do well in 18 because we had a new OC ha. But he is telling the ownership, it was Morton why offense didn’t do well, my next guy will get them on right track. If the offense doesn’t do cinsiderably better, Bowles is gone. 

But Mac deserves as much to blame. He can’t listen to Todd Bowles telling him to draft all D players in early rounds. The offense needs MAJOR attention in the draft, and FA. Tie Bowles down, and make your first 3 of 4 picks offense. 

I liked Morton but I wasn't at all the team meetings, didn't know how well he got along with the players, although Forte expressed some concerns, didnt know how well he gelled with the rest of the staff and don't know who they have in mind to replace him so i guess i have to wait like the rest of us... as the Jet drama continues. 

I’m not sure who the players were that “didn’t like him,” but there isn’t a damn player on our offense who’s opinion means anything when it comes to input on the coaches.

Why do we care that Forte didn’t like not getting the ball enough?  He’s already played his last game with the team.  And do you know what I didn’t like...a starting RB making $$ rushing for 381 yards and 2 TDs.

McCown?  He’s not resigned, maybe we fired Morton so McCown would come back for a cool $8M...

Is there another player besides Anderson whi has done anything to warrant having a voice?  And to be honest, what has Anderson done?

The sad truth, Morton’s offense with nothing but scrubs performed better than Bowles defense despite being littered with blue chip draft picks.  Is Bowles blaming Morton’s passing offense for causing his defense to suck?

How many more seasons will we go with defensive HCs and defensive 1st rounders in a pass happy league.  We are NEVER beating Tom Brady scoring 17 points a game.

42 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not really. The fact that you remember people having similar sentiments about Chan Gaily and Marty Morninwheg has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not getting rid of Morton was, in fact, a prudent decision. So . . . maybe this discussion is not for you?

I didn’t say it was

12 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I liked Morton but I wasn't at all the team meetings, didn't know how well he got along with the players, although Forte expressed some concerns, didnt know how well he gelled with the rest of the staff and don't know who they have in mind to replace him so i guess i have to wait like the rest of us... as the Jet drama continues. 

dont worry neither were some of the team leaders bowles made captain

bowles and mac want patience when judging them but dont want to give others the same consideration

bowles and mac are terrible-I despise them.

I wish woody and co would be willing to write me a check for my psls and we can act like I never bought them-the team is not "committed to winning" they are committed to being a sub par franchise. I sat through 40  years of games since a young kid. I have spent a small fortune on psls and tickets. My patience is over. I am walking away from my psls along with what may be the longest standing jet fan there is my father who had tickets since day one

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I’m not sure who the players were that “didn’t like him,” but there isn’t a damn player on our offense who’s opinion means anything when it comes to input on the coaches.

Why do we care that Forte didn’t like not getting the ball enough?  He’s already played his last game with the team.  And do you know what I didn’t like...a starting RB making $$ rushing for 381 yards and 2 TDs.

McCown?  He’s not resigned, maybe we fired Morton so McCown would come back for a cool $8M...

Is there another player besides Anderson whi has done anything to warrant having a voice?  And to be honest, what has Anderson done?

The sad truth, Morton’s offense with nothing but scrubs performed better than Bowles defense despite being littered with blue chip draft picks.  Is Bowles blaming Morton’s passing offense for causing his defense to suck?

How many more seasons will we go with defensive HCs and defensive 1st rounders in a pass happy league.  We are NEVER beating Tom Brady scoring 17 points a game.

Why are you making this anything more then it is. The reason have been put out there and it's pretty black and white. Bowles didn't think he ran a balanced offense. He deviated from the script. Coaches didn't think he adjusted well outside of that script. Players AND coaches did not get along with him. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Why are you making this anything more then it is. The reason have been put out there and it's pretty black and white. Bowles didn't think he ran a balanced offense. He deviated from the script. Coaches didn't think he adjusted well outside of that script. Players AND coaches did not get along with him. 

bowles the same guy that advocated quitting in a game when we still had a slim chance and the playoffs were not out of the question either-the same bowles that called guys that dont show up to meetings leaders

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Ok...if they fired him because no body liked him, but based on the timing, Haley would be a candidate.  Problem probably gets worse.

Or we fired him because didn’t run the ball enough...so how is promoting the QB coach or bringing in Haley gonna solve this?  It’s not.

Or maybe Morton’s inexperience was the issue...but Bates who has 1 more year calling plays than Morton has now.  And zero experience since 2010, when he was fired after 1 year.

Look, I get holding players and coaches accountable.  Absolutely.  But when Bowles defense has been what it is despite having all of the first round picks, most third round picks the past 9 years, including the 2 of the top 40 picks from last year, you would think we would have a top 5 defense.  If we don’t, why the hell are we wasting all our draft capital?  So Bowles and Rodgers can skate by with no one calling them out?

Archived