LB David Harris Retires from the NFL

joewilly12

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

Overrated by Jets fans like so many of our own are.

Chose to play for Belichick.

Don't let the door hit you, David.

The NFL is a business he didn't quit on the Jets the Jets quit on him free to do whatever he wants and play with who ever pays him the $$$$. 

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Man...don’t know how to feel about this.

Mangold is done, Brick is done, Harris is done, Revis is done.

It truly is a new era for us. These guys are retired for the most part. Doesn’t feel real.

You know what it means you have started to get old.....

10 minutes ago, David Harris said:

My username namesake.

proud to have it DH- true warrior- at his peak the hardest hitting Jet ever.

LaRon Landry? Lol..dare I say.. Eric Smith? Hey now and before we freak about that name drop he did lay the WOOD on Boldin against the Cardinals in 08’. He also chipped Wes Walkers helmet, he hit him so hard.

One of the only players in the draft ever that I really wanted and mocked to the jets that we actually picked.  Most times i end up disappointed by round 3 but I really liked Harris and was elated that we went and got him.  Good player for a lot of years.

(I still can't forgive him for not scoring after picking off brady in the playoffs though.)

4 hours ago, gEYno said:

2007 - David Harris

2008 - None

2009 - None

2010 - Vlad Ducasse

2011 - None

2012 - Stephen Hill

2013 - Geno Smith

2014 - Jace Amaro

2015 - Devin Smith

2016 - Christian Hackenberg

2017 - Marcus Maye

Being drafted in the 2nd round by the Jets has about a good a trajectory as being cast as one of Liam Neeson's children.  Hopefully Maye stops the bleeding.

This is really bad.  

Rounds 1 and 3 are not much better.  

So the black Chad Pennington retires.

Another "good person" who didn't achieve a damned thing but makes Mets fans feel a sense of accomplishment anyway.  Rusty Staub, David Wright, Chad Pennington, David Harris.  A bedroom full of posters from loserville.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Another "good person" who didn't achieve a damned thing but makes Mets fans feel a sense of accomplishment anyway.  Rusty Staub, David Wright, Chad Pennington, David Harris.  A bedroom full of posters from loserville.

SAR I

you're not wrong. weve lost so many games cause his ass couldnt defend a wheel route.

4 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

you're not wrong. weve lost so many games cause his ass couldnt defend a wheel route.

Yup.

Not to mention, where was his leadership when we needed it the most?  Pittsburgh.  January 2011.  The 11-5 Jets have just upset the Patriots in Foxboro to get back to the AFC Championship Game and are 60 minutes from the Super Bowl.  After the collapsed 10 point lead in the same game the year before you'd think our defense would be spitting blood to get another chance at the Big Game. 

But, no, the defense doesn't get off the bus.  Because there's no leader on that D like Lawrence Taylor or Ray Lewis to get the guys fired up and passionate.  That D played that first half like it was a preseason game.  It's unforgivable.  And I hold Black Pennington responsible above all others.  David Harris.  What a joke.  I'll be sitting down looking at my iPhone watching his no-show in Pittsburgh when the Jets dedicate some teary-eyed pregame ceremony in his honor.

SAR I

12 hours ago, Savage69 said:

A good player and a nice guy yes, but he never even made a Pro Bowl. I know many Jet LB'ers that were great and David isn't one of them..

He never made a pro bowl b/c he was a quiet guy, no one ever heard him speak.  He wasn't one of those popular guys that would make it b/c people knew him.  He did make an all pro team though which is bigger than pro bowl.

and it's not about pro bowls anyway as Wayne Chrebet and Marty Lyons are in our ROH w/o making a single pro bowl.

He's not getting his # retired but he is 100% going to be in the ROH and he deserves it.  he was an all time great Jet.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Yup.

Not to mention, where was his leadership when we needed it the most?  Pittsburgh.  January 2011.  The 11-5 Jets have just upset the Patriots in Foxboro to get back to the AFC Championship Game and are 60 minutes from the Super Bowl.  After the collapsed 10 point lead in the same game the year before you'd think our defense would be spitting blood to get another chance at the Big Game. 

But, no, the defense doesn't get off the bus.  Because there's no leader on that D like Lawrence Taylor or Ray Lewis to get the guys fired up and passionate.  That D played that first half like it was a preseason game.  It's unforgivable.  And I hold Black Pennington responsible above all others.  David Harris.  What a joke.  I'll be sitting down looking at my iPhone watching his no-show in Pittsburgh when the Jets dedicate some teary-eyed pregame ceremony in his honor.

SAR I

Do you think it's fair to compare him to a Lawrence Taylor(greatest defensive player of all time- check the great BB's defenses w/o him) and Ray Lewis(another all time great)? The whole D deserves their share of the blame but to single out Harris isn't fair.

1 hour ago, talisaynon said:

and we won so many b/c of how good he was.

Jet fans are just the worst.  we will prop up Brett Favre but bash guys that helped the Jets win.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Do you think it's fair to compare him to a Lawrence Taylor(greatest defensive player of all time- check the great BB's defenses w/o him) and Ray Lewis(another all time great)? The whole D deserves their share of the blame but to single out Harris isn't fair.

Nobody compares to LT at the linebacker position and to be fair to Harris my persistent memory of the Pitt debacle was Bart "Cant wait" Scott repeatedly getting shedded, trucked or dragged.

5 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Nobody compares to LT at the linebacker position and to be fair to Harris my persistent memory of the Pitt debacle was Bart "Cant wait" Scott repeatedly getting shedded, trucked or dragged.

Our entire D was shredded, they all deserve blame along w/ Rex but yeah the enduring image is Scott being carried into the EZ.  The Pats win was an emotional one but there's no excuse coming out flat a week later w/ a SB trip on the line. That game gets worse and worse w/ each passing year, at the time we thought we'd have more chances but looking back 7 years later and we haven't even played another playoff game it really sucks.

55 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He never made a pro bowl b/c he was a quiet guy, no one ever heard him speak.  He wasn't one of those popular guys that would make it b/c people knew him.  He did make an all pro team though which is bigger than pro bowl.

and it's not about pro bowls anyway as Wayne Chrebet and Marty Lyons are in our ROH w/o making a single pro bowl.

He's not getting his # retired but he is 100% going to be in the ROH and he deserves it.  he was an all time great Jet.

Not first team All Pro..LOL We just don't agree on what Great means. And as far as getting numbers retired if it was up to some Jet fans there would be no numbers left for any players..Chrebet was a special player and a huge fan favorite and Marty was good but not for a 1st rd pick IMO 

18 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

If only he had made that decision a year earlier... not that I can blame him for raking in a few million more mind you.

Oh well, he had a good run for the Jets, and it turned out they ultimately made the right decision.  Not going to lie though, I'm very happy he retired without a ring.

Absolutely!

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

LOL!  How did Rusty Staub get in your list?  The guy was a terrific PH for the Mets.  I remember he hit a big pinch-HR late in the game that on Old Timers Day that the umps decided was foul.  It felt like it would've been one of those too-good-to-be-true moments (as Rusty felt like he WAS an old-timer).  Then later in the AB (I feel like 2 pitches later), he did hit a HR and the Shea crowd went nuts.  

And fwiw, I don't really agree with putting David Harris on here either.  David Wright was overrated though.  Not saying he was a bad player but there was an aura about him as if he was the Mets' version of Jeter (or something along those lines) and he clearly wasn't!  I never felt like he was any good in the clutch.

And since we're talking Mets, I feel compelled to repeat the famous Ralph Kiner malaprop "And on this Father's Day, we wish you all a happy birthday!"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/02/24/rex-ryans-leader-david-harris-retires-after-11-season-in-nfl/amp/

Rex Ryan’s ‘leader’ David Harris retires after 11 season in NFL

Rex Ryan was the defensive coordinator of the Ravens in 2007 when David Harris was coming out of Michigan.

Ryan loved what he saw from the linebacker and told general manager Ozzie Newsome the Ravens should draft him.

“We had a pretty good linebacker in Ray Lewis,” Ryan said Friday by telephone. “Ozzie was like, ‘We can’t take him Rex.’ because I was bragging about him. I said I’ll start him at SAM linebacker. We’ll play a 4-3. I was going to change my defense just to get David Harris.”

The Jets beat the Ravens to it, trading up to draft Harris in the second round. Two years later, Ryan became the Jets’ coach and said he decided when he arrived he would build his defense around Harris and cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“I looked out there and I was proud that he was my middle linebacker,” Ryan said.

Harris retired Friday after an 11-year NFL career spent mostly in a Jets uniform. He spent last season with the Patriots after the Jets cut him this past June in an unpopular move with nearly everyone in the Jets organization.

Harris, 34, retired in the understated way he always handled everything off the field. His agent released a statement announcing his decision.

“After 11 years of having played the greatest team sport at its highest level, it’s now time for me to announce my retirement from the NFL,” Harris wrote in a statement released by Sportstars,

Harris was a mainstay in the middle of the Jets’ defense for a decade, including the two teams that reached the AFC Championship under Ryan in 2009 and 2010. He made 121 consecutive starts and missed just one game between 2009 and 2016. He played 154 total games for the Jets and is second in franchise history with 1,260 tackles, according to the team.

“He was such a damn leader for us,” Ryan said. “He was such a tough-ass guy, dependable, durable. He was such an underrated player.This guy was a freaking great player — a tackling machine.”

The quiet Harris was universally respected in the Jets’ building. Players and coaches attend his charity golf tournament every spring, a sign of their feelings for him.

Those feelings also showed last spring when the Jets cut him and many were bothered by the business move. He signed with the Patriots a few weeks later, but only played in 10 games for New England. He was inactive throughout the playoffs, including the Super Bowl.

“That was bulls–t,” Ryan said. “He was a Jet. I hated to see him go to New England. I really did. Sometimes that’s what happens.”

Ryan said he and Harris shared a special bond. When Ryan was fired after the 2014 season, he held one final team meeting the day after the season ended. Instead of speaking, Ryan thanked his players, put on a tape of highlights from his six seasons as coach and then left the room, hoping not to get emotional.

“I put the tape on and I went flying out of the room,” Ryan said. “There was one player that went out with me.”

Harris and the coach shared an emotional goodbye.

“I was pissed at him. God dang it David, I was going to make it out of there without bawling, but I never quite made it,” Ryan said.

Archived