Jet Rumors (Tony Pauline)

KRL

26 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Barring unforeseen trade(s) that take Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Allen off the board before our pick (unlikely), you can throw any chances of tanking for, or even drafting, a first round QB off the table for the next 4-5 years.  We will draft one of those guys and commit to them.  The "f this class, focus on a 2019 QB/rebuild" ship has sailed.  For better or worse, our immediate future is tied to one of the QBs from this class.  If there is another one, our next "rebuild" probably starts no earlier than 2023.

Trade up and get the right one, we’re set.  Sit on our hands and take the leftovers, we’ll be so screwed we won’t be able to fire anyone because no one will want to come here if we are stuck with a QB bust for the next couple of years because of draft status.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Trade up and get the right one, we’re set.  Sit on our hands and take the leftovers, we’ll be so screwed we won’t be able to fire anyone because no one will want to come here if we are stuck with a QB bust for the next couple of years because of draft status.

Pretty much nailed it here.

4 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

You should be shocked if the Jets signed Cousins.  Mac and Bowles have never been able to close the deal on a UFA who was actually in demand.  If you take your green goggles off, you'd also realize that there's absolutely no reason that a smart guy like Kirk Cousins would sign with the Jets.  And Pauline has talked to people connected to Cousins and around the NFL, not just the Jets.

And please, don't give Mac and Bowles that much credit for keeping secrets.  Sure, they don't talk like Tannenbaum and Rex, but it got out that they were going to draft Hackenberg and that's exactly what happened.

Mac and Bowles are ****ed.  They're going to miss out on the three best available QBs (Cousins, Darnold and Rosen) and be on the unemployment line next year.

Good thing you have no idea what you're talking about. Sojf idiot

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Re-Signing McCown sheesh some fans never learn and next year we can sign Eli Manning when the Giants cut him. 

I hear you but for triple the money, no thx... see reasons already stated above.

7 hours ago, Pcola said:

It really depends - you're going to be getting 1 of the 4 (Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold or Allen) 

I believe Rosen/Darnold will go 1-2 to Browns/Giants and they're not trading out - no matter what they say. Chubb/Barkely will go 3-4 (Those are legit impact players and won't be left on the board by their teams)

Then it really depens on who you like better - how much better etc. 

I honestly believe at 6 you're going to have either Allen or Mayfield there to take.  Likely Allen.   Do you like Allen better than Mayfield?

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Barring unforeseen trade(s) that take Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Allen off the board before our pick (unlikely), you can throw any chances of tanking for, or even drafting, a first round QB off the table for the next 4-5 years.  We will draft one of those guys and commit to them.  The "f this class, focus on a 2019 QB/rebuild" ship has sailed.  For better or worse, our immediate future is tied to one of the QBs from this class.  If there is another one, our next "rebuild" probably starts no earlier than 2023.

Any idea how aggressive we will be to trade up? Is Mac gonna be chicken little again?

35 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Any idea how aggressive we will be to trade up? Is Mac gonna be chicken little again?

Great question. Mac has always, it seems, been reluctant to trade up. I see his point. We have so many holes can we afford to give up say 3 extra picks to move up? That's why I'd love to see us fill some of those holes in FA. Then moving up becomes a more viable option IMHO.

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It really depends - you're going to be getting 1 of the 4 (Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold or Allen) 

I believe Rosen/Darnold will go 1-2 to Browns/Giants and they're not trading out - no matter what they say. Chubb/Barkely will go 3-4 (Those are legit impact players and won't be left on the board by their teams)

Then it really depens on who you like better - how much better etc. 

I honestly believe at 6 you're going to have either Allen or Mayfield there to take.  Likely Allen.   Do you like Allen better than Mayfield?

If the difference between all 4 prospects was minimal, yes we would be fine.  But the difference between prospect 1 and 4 is huge.  The difference between prospect 3 and 4 is huge.  

So while the NFL loves the outcome of this draft, NYC gets a superstar in Rosen,  

Cleveland quite possibly becomes relevant in a time where Balt and Cincy are meh teams and Roethlisberger is nearing retirement,

John Elway gets his star QB and everyone can talk about how great a GM he is,

and the Jets draft another QB flop and become the new Browns.

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Great question. Mac has always, it seems, been reluctant to trade up. I see his point. We have so many holes can we afford to give up say 3 extra picks to move up? That's why I'd love to see us fill some of those holes in FA. Then moving up becomes a more viable option IMHO.

I think the Colts are a team thatould be happy with Nelson, Chubb or Barkley so if all 3 are there when they pick I could see them dropping back to pick up and extra 2nd and taking one of them, Chubb IMO is the most likely to fall to 6 with the Browns and Broncos already having Garrett and Von Miller.

10 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

With Minnesota being the likely landing spot for Cousins, being aggressive in FA should be the PLAN A.

Fill as many holes and depth as possible, because you should be trading a boatload of picks to trade up for our QB. Its that simple. 

It still kills me though because I don’t think any QB this class will be on a level of Goff/Went/Watson/Mahomes will be. An extra 3rd?! Precluded us from one of the first two. One of next two could have been had without giving up a thing.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

With Minnesota being the likely landing spot for Cousins, being aggressive in FA should be the PLAN A.

Fill as many holes and depth as possible, because you should be trading a boatload of picks to trade up for our QB. Its that simple. 

It still kills me though because I don’t think any QB this class will be on a level of Goff/Went/Watson/Mahomes will be. An extra 3rd?! Precluded us from one of the first two. One of next two could have been had without giving up a thing.

What makes you feel that way? Not saying I disagree, but these guys this year are being touted and drooled over more than anyone last year to my recollection 

On 3/3/2018 at 12:10 AM, KRL said:

Many here believe if they lose out in the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, the contingency plan for the New York Jets is to make a move to acquire Sam Bradford, who is set to become a free agent.

I buy this 100%.  Its completely in line with how Big Mac and Todd have treated the QB position thus far in their reign over the Jets. 

It's like, ewwww gross, a QB?  We need one of those?  Ok, lets just throw this guy out there insert well traveled veterans name.  He's been around the league long enough that we dont need to talk to him during the week while me and Jamal Adams are figuring about which groovy dance routine he should bust out when one of his teammates makes a tackle 10 yards down field because leadership and stuff.

12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think the Colts are a team that could be happy with Nelson, Chubb or Barkley so if all 3 are there when they pick I could see them dropping back to pick up and extra 2nd and taking one of them, Chubb IMO is the most likely to fall to 6 with the Browns and Broncos already having Garrett and Von Miller.

If we had a FA QB locked up before the draft I'd be thrilled with any of your choices. Each would fill an area of need. G, RB and edge rusher

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I buy this 100%.  Its completely in line with how Big Mac and Todd have treated the QB position thus far in their reign over the Jets. 

It's like, ewwww gross, a QB?  We need one of those?  Ok, lets just throw this guy out there insert well traveled veterans name.  He's been around the league long enough that we dont need to talk to him during the week while me and Jamal Adams are figuring about which groovy dance routine he should bust out when one of his teammates makes a tackle 10 yards down field because leadership and stuff.

100%. Todd looks at the QB spot with one criteria: can they get me 25 TDs, 10 INTs, and avoid the delay of game penalty. That’s it. He won’t get that guarantee from a rookie, but he can get that from a handful of veteran washouts. And Maccagnan, dim as he seems, has to look at his own track record with QBs and admit that he might not know what he’s looking at in his evaluations. This is why I think they’ll both be more than happy to watch four QBs come off the board before six. They want an excuse to not draft one, and go -cough- “BPA” instead. The acid test will be if Mayfield slips through to six and they’re forced to make that decision. The fallout for passing on him will be intense.

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

That's the thing..you never know until 2-3 years later. It's a crap shoot. I just read an article by Rich Cimini about the Jets in 2012 interviewing WR's Stephan Hill and Alshon Jeffery. Jeffery bombed his interview so badly he was asked to leave the room. Hill aced his and the Jets chose him at draft time. Hills now out of the league while Jeffery has a SB ring. You just never know.

3 minutes ago, usanyj said:

What makes you feel that way? Not saying I disagree, but these guys this year are being touted and drooled over more than anyone last year to my recollection 

My own “eye test.” And I am no expert, nor claim to be. I completely underestimated Watson’s ceiling. But felt he would be worth taking if you molded your offense to him. He shredded Alabama on the biggest stage back to back years by throwing the football. He wasn’t just running like Vince Young vs USC.

But Mahomes I saw not just a rare talent, a once in a lifetime one.

Wentz I saw as someone who could be better than Big Ben.

Goff I loved. He just always threw such a nice accurate pass in college. Air raid didn’t worry me with him because I always saw him scanning the field. He wasn’t throwing long hand offs.

Darnold I think has great traits and intangibles. I feel his team wasn’t as talented as people think just cause they’re USC. His coaching staff also ran bland and predictable offense. I feel his ceiling is very high, but those turnovers are bad. His fumbles worry me more than the picks.

Rosen is a stud. But with his concussion history and his father being a neurosurgeon. I don’t know how much his heart will be in this game, and/or for how long? Darnold is all about ball. Rosen, I feel could make a big pay day and bow out early.

Mayfield I like a lot, but his physical skillset isn’t like the others. I’d still be happy to take him though. 

Josh Allen...thats a whole other convo.

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

That's the thing..you never know until 2-3 years later. It's a crap shoot. I just read an article by Rich Cimini about the Jets in 2012 interviewing WR's Stephan Hill and Alshon Jeffery. Jeffery bombed his interview so badly he was asked to leave the room. Hill aced his and the Jets chose him at draft time. Hills now out of the league while Jeffery has a SB ring. You just never know.

Definitely agree. There’s def a lot of luck with the draft. But Mac has had a real chance to draft 4 QB’s who could all be the face of the league once Brady retires. He has to get it right, as Woody even stated one of the goals of new gm in 2015 was to find a franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

100%. Todd looks at the QB spot with one criteria: can they get me 25 TDs, 10 INTs, and avoid the delay of game penalty. That’s it. He won’t get that guarantee from a rookie, but he can get that from a handful of veteran washouts. And Maccagnan, dim as he seems, has to look at his own track record with QBs and admit that he might not know what he’s looking at in his evaluations. This is why I think they’ll both be more than happy to watch four QBs come off the board before six. They want an excuse to not draft one, and go -cough- “BPA” instead. The acid test will be if Mayfield slips through to six and they’re forced to make that decision. The fallout for passing on him will be intense.

Todd Bowles is following the Marvin Lewis manual on how not to get fired:

Win between 5-8 games while everyone talks about how bad the roster is hence giving the HC a pass.  Never get aggressive in trying to build a winner because that raises the expectations of fans and media and leaves the HC vulnerable to not meeting expectations.  

Todds after the record for longest tenure with zero playoff games.

I agree with you that Macc has no F’n clue on QBs.  So then he needs to trade up to 1 and draft the consensus best one in Josh Rosen.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The "I dont talk to Todd throughout the week" comment from Fitz year 1 is all you need to know about Todd.  The less he has to think about the QB, the less he has to interact with the QB, the less he has to worry about who is going to be QB, the better.  That way him and Kacy Rodgers and play throw back games and be like, have we thought about playing 8 down lineman in a game?  Could be how we stop the run this week.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The is correct on so many levels. Macc and Bowles have no eye for talent at any position. Marcus Maye was a lucky pick as I see it and Jamal Adams was BPA. How can anyone expect them to choose a decent QB let alone a franchise QB (Christian Hackenberg)  COME ON MAN 

Best case scenario for Macc and Bowles is all 4 QB's gone by the 6th pick and Macc to scared to trade up any spots as we saw when he lost out on Alvin Kamara.  So season starts with McCown and hopefully it costs Macc and Bowles there jobs. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mccagnan's approach to the draft is hurting him.  His philosophy of filling needs before the draft so he can draft BPA has resulted on passing up qbs and relying solely on his board.  And mccagnan is so loathe to trade draft picks that he's really screwed if he's not ok with any of the 4 qbs.  And this excludes the possibility of Lamar jackson, who i can't see this coaching staff understanding how to utilize.

I think the huge decision will be based on whether they would take mayfield or not.  If the only qbs at the top of the draft they would take are darnold or Rosen, then we're screwed.  Allen won't work here b/c he needs to sit and that won't fly for two guys who have one foot out the door.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Mccagnan's approach to the draft is hurting him.  His philosophy of filling needs before the draft so he can draft BPA has resulted on passing up qbs and relying solely on his board.  And mccagnan is so loathe to trade draft picks that he's really screwed if he's not ok with any of the 4 qbs.  And this excludes the possibility of Lamar jackson, who i can't see this coaching staff understanding how to utilize.

I think the huge decision will be based on whether they would take mayfield or not.  If the only qbs at the top of the draft they would take are darnold or Rosen, then we're screwed.  Allen won't work here b/c he needs to sit and that won't fly for two guys who have one foot out the door.

I keep going back to the comment made about Maccagnan when he was hired, and some anonymous personnel guy said that the GM job would be “too big” for him. It’s possibly the most apt descriptor ever applied to anyone ever. Macc has no prevailing philosophy, no sense of the future, and no coherent plan for improving the team. The roster is just a mish-mash of cowardly drafting and short-sighted impulse buys in free agency. 

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

The "I dont talk to Todd throughout the week" comment from Fitz year 1 is all you need to know about Todd.  The less he has to think about the QB, the less he has to interact with the QB, the less he has to worry about who is going to be QB, the better.  That way him and Kacy Rodgers and play throw back games and be like, have we thought about playing 8 down lineman in a game?  Could be how we stop the run this week.

Meanwhile, Minnesota and Philadelphia stock their coaching staffs with multiple credible QB coaches and obsessively pursue quarterbacks who can take the field and not sh*t themselves. Todd and Macc? They’re pulling retread OCs off of their couches and out of their lean-to’s on the Appalachian Trail so they can come in and emphasize the running game.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The is correct on so many levels. Macc and Bowles have no eye for talent at any position. Marcus Maye was a lucky pick as I see it and Jamal Adams was BPA. How can anyone expect them to choose a decent QB let alone a franchise QB (Christian Hackenberg)  COME ON MAN 

Best case scenario for Macc and Bowles is all 4 QB's gone by the 6th pick and Macc to scared to trade up any spots as we saw when he lost out on Alvin Kamara.  So season starts with McCown and hopefully it costs Macc and Bowles there jobs. 

IMO, they won five games with a trash roster. It’s not unreasonable to expect them to purchase an additional three wins with their bunch of draft picks and $100 million dollars, thus ensuring they’re here for another three years, minimum. Especially with Mehta running cover for them.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I keep going back to the comment made about Maccagnan when he was hired, and some anonymous personnel guy said that the GM job would be “too big” for him. It’s possibly the most apt descriptor ever applied to anyone ever. Macc has no prevailing philosophy, no sense of the future, and no coherent plan for improving the team. The roster is just a mish-mash of cowardly drafting and short-sighted impulse buys in free agency. 

This is not all of his fault though.  Our gm was hamstrung the day the owner decided to have the coach and gm report separately to him and when the gm really has no say in who the coach is.

A guy that is in fact made to be a gloried scout because the team won't let him be anything else will remain a glorified scout.

Of all the foibles of this team the organizational chart annoys me perhaps more than anything, especially when he jags got smart and brought coughlin in to be what this team needs.  An old smart guy that knows the league that can form a team direction and can easily call bullsh*t on the coach and gm when they do dumbass things

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I keep going back to the fact that he cut his chops on the Texans where he watched the gm draft all these great defensive players, build a stout defense, and go to war with Matt Schaub.  That's what mccags is attempting to build here - draft defense, stick in a veteran qb and try to eke out wins.  

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is not all of his fault though.  Our gm was hamstrung the day the owner decided to have the coach and gm report separately to him and when the gm really has no say in who the coach is.

A guy that is in fact made to be a gloried scout because the team won't let him be anything else will remain a glorified scout.

Of all the foibles of this team the organizational chart annoys me perhaps more than anything, especially when he jags got smart and brought coughlin in to be what this team needs.  An old smart guy that knows the league that can form a team direction and can easily call bullsh*t on the coach and gm when they do dumbass things

You’re absolutely right, and what’s frustrating about it is that they didn’t learn their lesson with Idzik/Rex. Idzik was an accountant in the same way that Macc is a scout, and neither of them are close to being CEO material. They’ve needed a President of Football ops since the day Parcells left, and they never hired one because Woody sees himself as The Decider, which is disgusting. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

You’re absolutely right, and what’s frustrating about it is that they didn’t learn their lesson with Idzik/Rex. Idzik was an accountant in the same way that Macc is a scout, and neither of them are close to being CEO material. They’ve needed a President of Football ops since the day Parcells left, and they never hired one because Woody sees himself as The Decider, which is disgusting. 

And despite all this dysfunction, the past 3 gms have failed in drafting a viable qb.  And virtually every other team has been able to find one.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I keep going back to the fact that he cut his chops on the Texans where he watched the gm draft all these great defensive players, build a stout defense, and go to war with Matt Schaub.  That's what mccags is attempting to build here - draft defense, stick in a veteran qb and try to eke out wins.  

I’d disagree. This team is being built in Todd Bowles’ image. Maccagnan is just a scout. Look at the Bowles resume—this is the type of team he’s been around forever: Testaverde Jets, Pennington Dolphins, Mike Vick Eagles, Carson Palmer Cardinals. Even his playing career was with the Joe Gibbs Redskins which featured a carousel of game-manager vet QBs. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And despite all this dysfunction, the past 3 gms have failed in drafting a viable qb.  And virtually every other team has been able to find one.

Well, I think Idzik thought he had one with Geno, Tannenbaum thought he hit with Sanchez, and Macc went with the most inexcusable pick in Hackenberg. When the history is written, Macc will be remembered as being worse than Idzik. The only reason he hasn’t been burned in effigy yet is because Mehta hasn’t turned on him.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’d disagree. This team is being built in Todd Bowles’ image. Maccagnan is just a scout. Look at the Bowles resume—this is the type of team he’s been around forever: Testaverde Jets, Pennington Dolphins, Mike Vick Eagles, Carson Palmer Cardinals. Even his playing career was with the Joe Gibbs Redskins which featured a carousel of game-manager vet QBs. 

We can debate this but the result is that the team has not drafted an offensive player in the first round since 2009, none of their players would start for any other team on offense, the gm would rather go bargain hunting than trade up for a qb, and the gm's draft philosophy is that you can find offensive linemen, wrs and rbs in later rounds of the draft.  The entire operation is set up to fail.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Well, I think Idzik thought he had one with Geno, Tannenbaum thought he hit with Sanchez, and Macc went with the most inexcusable pick in Hackenberg. When the history is written, Macc will be remembered as being worse than Idzik. The only reason he hasn’t been burned in effigy yet is because Mehta hasn’t turned on him.

idzik was worse.  Williams and Adams don't suck and i think lee is good and would be better utilized as a blitzer.  

Archived