Ryan Leaf sees himself in Baker Mayfield

Philc1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key point that Leaf points out is How will Mayfield react/behave when he DOESN'T win. When he's NOT the Top Dog and loses (possibly) confidence, how will he react THEN?

Leaf admitted that was his issue.

I'm all for Mayfield as much as Rosen or Darnold, but his little hissy fit which led him to call his parents and leave TexasTech after his freshman can be PERCEIVED as a sore loser if he doesn't get his way similar to Leaf. I hope I'm wrong, but since it's microscopic nit-picking on all these QBs, that's the ONLY possible correlation/similarity I can see between Leaf and Mayfield.  Allen reminds me of Leaf, physically.

I

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Ex-player who busted at the qb position what would he know about other players acting and sounding similar to his 1998 self

I have little doubt that you'd be in just as great of a rush to provide every positive comparison made of Mayfield?  I mean, you're totally not desperate to push your own agenda.

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t think it’s even a discussion anymore at this point Macagnan would draft him over San Darnold 

And you know this how?  Kind of given that he goes somewhere else now.

15 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The key point that Leaf points out is How will Mayfield react/behave when he DOESN'T win. When he's NOT the Top Dog and loses (possibly) confidence, how will he react THEN?

A question almost every young freshly drafted college QB needs to answer.

How will Darnold react for the (say) 4-12 Browns next year?  When all the adulation turns into Dog Pound hooting at him?

14 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I'm all for Mayfield as much as Rosen or Darnold, but his little hissy fit which led him to call his parents and leave TexasTech after his freshman can be PERCEIVED as a sore loser if he doesn't get his way similar to Leaf. I hope I'm wrong, but since it's microscopic nit-picking on all these QBs, that's the ONLY possible correlation/similarity I can see between Leaf and Mayfield.  Allen reminds me of Leaf, physically.

I

So how come Leaf went off in camp?  He wasnt losing, was the top dog and didnt have a reason to lose confidence?  

If we were to take him at his word on what happened to him, why couldnt the same be true for Rosen or Darnold if theyre in the  same boat as Mayfield?  I like Rosen here, but not because of Mayfield being another Leaf

22 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm not sure which is more pathetic.  Ryan Leaf saying anything about anybody or the O.P. for actually using it as propoganda in his anti-Mayfield crusade.

Preach!!!

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So how come Leaf went off in camp?  He wasnt losing, was the top dog and didnt have a reason to lose confidence?  

If we were to take him at his word on what happened to him, why couldnt the same be true for Rosen or Darnold if theyre in the  same boat as Mayfield?  I like Rosen here, but not because of Mayfield being another Leaf

the TC incident was in '99. He wasn't an "issue" until he started losing in his rookie year, THAT's when he lost it:

August 19, 1999, 10:53 PM

Leaf Blows Up At Heckler

San Diego Chargers quarterback Ryan Leaf had to be forced away from a verbal confrontation with a heckling fan Thursday, the latest episode in his short but troubled NFL career.

The tense situation came the same day USA Today quoted Leaf as saying he probably won't be with the Chargers when his contract becomes voidable after the 2000 season.

"I don't think I'll be around long enough to win the community back over," the second-year quarterback said.

The fan, 32-year-old Sean Peck, had been heckling Leaf during the Chargers' combined workout with the Miami Dolphins, including singing lyrics from the song Lonesome Loser by the Little River Band.

Leaf underwent surgery on his right shoulder early in training camp, which could force him to miss the season, and has been reduced to just watching practices.

Several minutes after practice ended, Leaf was walking across the practice field with one of his brothers, heading away from the grandstands at UC San Diego, when Peck let loose with a verbal barrage.

"Hey, Ryan, you're the worst draft choice in NFL history. You make Heath Shuler look like an All-Star. You're a loser. Go talk to Jimmy (Johnson) and try to get a job next year," he said.

Leaf calmly walked back across the field, asking offensive coordinator Geep Chryst and security guards to come with him.

Leaf motioned at Peck, saying, "What's wrong, man, have I hurt you?"

Peck, wearing a Chargers cap and shirt, jumped up, hustled down the bleachers and came within a few feet of Leaf.

"You hurt me, you hurt all of us," Peck said. "You have no commitment."

If it had been most any other player, the incident might have been quickly forgotten. But it just happened to involve Leaf, the once-promising quarterback who was booed by San Diego fans just four games into his disastrous rookie season.

The Chargers weren't about to let it get out of hand.

Leaf, who is 6-foot-5 and 235 pounds, was forced back by Chryst and defensive backs coach Rod Perry. Chargers spokesman Scott Yoffe repeatedly said, "No, don't do it, Ryan. Don't do it."

Leaf left the field and declined comment as he got into a convertible Mercedes and drove off.

Leaf "was passionate," Chryst said. "I think he wanted to just engage him, `Hey, my family's around,' You know. I can't put words into his mouth."

"I think he just wanted to have a heated conversation," Peck said later.

Peck said he's a lifelong Chargers fan as well as a singer for a heavy metal band.

"I'm 'Joe fan' speaking out for the people and we feel betrayed," Peck said.

Several witnesses said they heard Peck commenting about "wanting a lawsuit"as Leaf approached. Peck later said he was joking.

Early in his rooke season, Leaf's obscenity-laced locker room tirade against a reporter was captured on videotape and shown nationally. Thursday's confrontation also was caught by TV cameras.

Despite Leaf's comments to USA Today, general manager Bobby Beathard said the Chargers want Leaf to be here the duration of the five-year, $31.25 million contract he signed after being taken with the second pick in the 1998 draft.

"I'm certain there's a high degree of frustration with Ryan" because of his shoulder injury, Beathard said.

"I think it's been said 100 times, everybody knows he's dug a pretty deep hole, but we have confidence he'll get out of it and play football. We want him to play football in San Diego. We don't want it to be someplace else."

Despite being benched after nine games, and throwing 15 interceptions with just two touchdown passes, Leaf met the criteria to have his contract voided after the third year. He was in for at least 35 percent of the offensive plays and the Chargers (5-11) won one more game than they did the previous year.

However, he won't be totally free to leave. The Chargers can hang onto him various ways, including paying him a $4 million bonus to activate the fourth and fifth years.

Leaf will be a restricted free agent after the third year, meaning he can receive offer sheets from other teams. The Chargers can either match an offer and keep him, or let him go and receive draft-choice compensation.

If Leaf didn't receive any offers, he could play out his fourth year and leave as an unrestricted free agent or, if he has a good year, the Chargers could keep him by designating him their franchise player.

©1999 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

the incident w/the reporter was his rookie year after his 3rd game. si yeah . . . UNTIL he STARTED losing and being criticized/questioned about it, he then became a Head Case:

Leaf was wigging out on reporter Jay Posner after a 1-for-15, four-yard performance in his third career game. It became the most talked about "highlight" (by default) of Leaf's brief career. It also followed a week that Leaf, allegedly, chucked a ball at the same reporter's head.

25 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

anything out of Ryan's mouth is cocaine and pixy dust. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thanks, I thought his blow up came in his first camp.  Guess my memory is shot, lol

you're semi right> I did more research and amended my post.

Leaf was wigging out on reporter Jay Posner after a 1-for-15, four-yard performance in his third career game. It became the most talked about "highlight" (by default) of Leaf's brief career. It also followed a week that Leaf, allegedly, hucked a ball at the same reporter's head.

After his 3rd game is when it all went down hill and he became the Ryan Leaf we recall today. It was ONCE the losing started, and that's the KEY question w/EGO QBs such as Mayfield & Rosen (both whom I prefer) vs. Humble Pie Allen & Darnold.

The thing Leaf is forgetting to point out is that Baker is a two time walk-on. He has dealt with tons of adversity in his football career. Everyone has always doubted him because of his height. So, it's kind of shallow for Leaf to compare himself to Baker. Ryan Leaf looks like a QB at 6'5" 240-250. So nobody probably ever doubted him. 

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The thing Leaf is forgetting to point out is that Baker is a two time walk-on. He has dealt with tons of adversity in his football career. Everyone has always doubted him because of his height. So, it's kind of shallow for Leaf to compare himself to Baker. Ryan Leaf looks like a QB at 6'5" 240-250. So nobody probably ever doubted him. 

Then what about Texas Tech? He was told he was to compete his sophomore year and he expected to start. PERCEPTION is that he threw a fit, called his parents and transferred to Oklahoma; THAT is the only link I can see in comparing Leaf and, due to that ONE isolated incident of pouting, Mayfield. Other than that stretch, I don't see ANY similarity between the two. 

EGO = Career Killer and THAT is the point Leaf is making. 

5 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Then what about Texas Tech? He was told he was to compete his sophomore year and he expected to start. PERCEPTION is that he threw a fit, called his parents and transferred to Oklahoma; THAT is the only link I can see in comparing Leaf and, due to that ONE isolated incident of pouting, Mayfield. Other than that stretch, I don't see ANY similarity between the two. 

I thought he was told he wasn't getting a scholarship even after starting as a walk-on and having a good year.  Would seem to be justified if this happened.

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

That's a good point. I don't know the exact details of how Baker reacted in TT. But that could be the only link and reason to believe this is a red flag.

Still a bit of a stretch though. Ryan Leaf was always put on a pedestal and came crashing down once he was taking off the pedestal. The other guy has never been put on a pedestal. 

Leaf is saying his downfall was not that he played bad but how he handled adversity. He basically alienated everyone around him and stopped enjoying the game. Baker never stopped caring about the game. If anything he said, ok I am going to walk-on over if you don't believe in me. 

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

I thought he was told he wasn't getting a scholarship even after starting as a walk-on and having a good year.  Would seem to be justified if this happened.

As I stated before, the PERCEPTION, can be construed to the equivalent of pouting, but further research may reveal he was justified in his position. That's why I said, other than that ONE vague incident: I know Baker Mayfield, and YOU Mr. Ryan Leaf, are NO Baker Mayfield (bonus points for anyone who can recall that quote of originally referring to JFK? :D)

10 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

As I stated before, the PERCEPTION, can be construed to the equivalent of pouting, but further research may reveal he was justified in his position. That's why I said, other than that ONE vague incident: I know Baker Mayfield, and YOU Mr. Ryan Leaf, are NO Baker Mayfield (bonus points for anyone who can recall that quote of originally referring to JFK? :D)

Bentsen in the VP debate against Dan Quayle when he compared himself to JFK.

Archived