Ryan Leaf sees himself in Baker Mayfield

Philc1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, looking back at the Ryan Leaf story is wild. 

Parrellels to these year's draft:

- 5 Weeks before the draft, the Chargers traded up to number 2 because they felt they would get one of the two QB's. It was apperently a no lose situation. Oh boy. The Jets are supposedly in a win-win after trading up weeks before this year's draft

- Ryan Leaf could throw the ball 80 yards flat footed. He was a better athlete than Manning. Had a 55% completion percentage in college. Sounds like anyone we know? Yup. That sounds like Josh Allen to me.

- He took a personality test that said his personality was not suited for the NFL. Apparently he was too cocky. Hmm. Rosen and Mayfield. Maybe. Maybe not. 

This would have all turned out differently if it weren't for Kansas City. Damn Chiefs. They should have played their backups. 

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

- 5 Weeks before the draft, the Chargers traded up to number 2 because they felt they would get one of the two QB's. It was apperently a no lose situation. Oh boy. The Jets are supposedly in a win-win after trading up weeks before this year's draft

- Ryan Leaf could throw the ball 80 yards flat footed. He was a better athlete than Manning. Had a 55% completion percentage in college. Sounds like anyone we know? Yup. That sounds like Josh Allen to me.

- He took a personality test that said his personality was not suited for the NFL. Apparently he was too cocky. Hmm. Rosen and Mayfield. Maybe. Maybe not. 

This would have all turned out differently if it weren't for Kansas City. Damn Chiefs. They should have played their backups. 

I agree, it's rather eery, but ALLEN doesn't have EGO which is the main point of Leaf's fodder. Mayfield and Rosen COULD FAIL due to EGO more so than Allen who is modest. 

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I agree, it's rather eery, but ALLEN doesn't have EGO which is the main point of Leaf's fodder. Mayfield and Rosen COULD FAIL due to EGO more so than Allen who is modest. 

Oh yea his point is definitely more of an attack on Baker. Just thought there were other interesting similarities to point out. Including the logic of why the Chargers traded up before the draft. 

The reality is that you can come up with an example for any of these QB's if you want to prove they will bust or if you want to prove they will be a great player. 

12 minutes ago, freestater said:

Yeah, but....Ryan Leaf was 6'5". There's no way he could have been a bust...?

He also played under center at Washington State. If he was in this draft Folks would be chomping at the bit for this one no doubt. 

Here's 5 minutes of Ryan Leaf's "6'5 pro style QB" highlights. Very fitting if you ask me. :-) Gotta love those Pac12 Pro ready QB's

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The key point that Leaf points out is How will Mayfield react/behave when he DOESN'T win. When he's NOT the Top Dog and loses (possibly) confidence, how will he react THEN?

Leaf admitted that was his issue.

I'm all for Mayfield as much as Rosen or Darnold, but his little hissy fit which led him to call his parents and leave TexasTech after his freshman can be PERCEIVED as a sore loser if he doesn't get his way similar to Leaf. I hope I'm wrong, but since it's microscopic nit-picking on all these QBs, that's the ONLY possible correlation/similarity I can see between Leaf and Mayfield.  Allen reminds me of Leaf, physically.

I

so he called his parents when he was 18 to leave texas tech?  think he maybe grew up a bit since then? leaf's issue is that he was (and is) a substance abuser.  he's just another in a long line of pro players who get too much too soon and flame out.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

you're semi right> I did more research and amended my post.

Leaf was wigging out on reporter Jay Posner after a 1-for-15, four-yard performance in his third career game. It became the most talked about "highlight" (by default) of Leaf's brief career. It also followed a week that Leaf, allegedly, hucked a ball at the same reporter's head.

After his 3rd game is when it all went down hill and he became the Ryan Leaf we recall today. It was ONCE the losing started, and that's the KEY question w/EGO QBs such as Mayfield & Rosen (both whom I prefer) vs. Humble Pie Allen & Darnold.

hmmm.....So maybe we should draft Darnold or Allen because they will handle the inevitable losing much better. Be right back. Gotta go reorganize my Top 5 QB ranking. 

On 4/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, Gas2No99 said:

The key point that Leaf points out is How will Mayfield react/behave when he DOESN'T win. When he's NOT the Top Dog and loses (possibly) confidence, how will he react THEN?

Leaf admitted that was his issue.

I'm all for Mayfield as much as Rosen or Darnold, but his little hissy fit which led him to call his parents and leave TexasTech after his freshman can be PERCEIVED as a sore loser if he doesn't get his way similar to Leaf. I hope I'm wrong, but since it's microscopic nit-picking on all these QBs, that's the ONLY possible correlation/similarity I can see between Leaf and Mayfield.  Allen reminds me of Leaf, physically.

I

Mayfield will fall apart as soon as he doesn’t play well with our mediocre OL and receivers

On 4/13/2018 at 2:52 PM, Jet Nut said:

So how come Leaf went off in camp?  He wasnt losing, was the top dog and didnt have a reason to lose confidence?  

If we were to take him at his word on what happened to him, why couldnt the same be true for Rosen or Darnold if theyre in the  same boat as Mayfield?  I like Rosen here, but not because of Mayfield being another Leaf

Leaf didn’t meltdown in camp the meltdown began after week 2 when a reporter asked him a challenging question in the chargers locker room after a loss he didn’t play well in

On 4/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, Gas2No99 said:

you're semi right> I did more research and amended my post.

Leaf was wigging out on reporter Jay Posner after a 1-for-15, four-yard performance in his third career game. It became the most talked about "highlight" (by default) of Leaf's brief career. It also followed a week that Leaf, allegedly, hucked a ball at the same reporter's head.

After his 3rd game is when it all went down hill and he became the Ryan Leaf we recall today. It was ONCE the losing started, and that's the KEY question w/EGO QBs such as Mayfield & Rosen (both whom I prefer) vs. Humble Pie Allen & Darnold.

Leaf’s first public meltdown was during the regular season.  So will Mayfield’s

27 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Leaf didn’t meltdown in camp the meltdown began after week 2 when a reporter asked him a challenging question in the chargers locker room after a loss he didn’t play well in

We went over this a while ago, thanks

27 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

There is a lot of him in Baker Mayfield - just without the booze and drugs, felony break ins and the 14-36 TD to INT ratio over three years. Other than those small details, they're a lot alike!

Leaf’s stats in college were equally impressive as the Hobbit’s

On 4/13/2018 at 3:56 PM, GreenFish said:

And we just traded up for a dwarf we could have had at 6

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sure he did

1F4C6259-598B-4F0A-B808-6E31D133B67B.jpeg

9C6C5AF9-DC04-4D62-9E5E-B9A0ED44C7D3.jpeg

by that criteria you'd be dissing namath for making his suberbowl boast before the game or stabler for missing a bowl game for staking out too late.  how about when pete carroll gave his famous choke sign to the doltfin kicker way back when? yah i guess you can say that mayfield has exhibited what can considered stupid behavior but in the final analysis, football is a game.  i think players that bring some attitude are a good thing.  and the other part of it is we need to know if he can take losing without taking taking out on his team mates or even himself. it seemed like leaf really didn't like losing that kc game and took it out on everybody.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

by that criteria you'd be dissing namath for making his suberbowl boast before the game or stabler for missing a bowl game for staking out too late.  how about when pete carroll gave his famous choke sign to the doltfin kicker way back when? yah i guess you can say that mayfield has exhibited what can considered stupid behavior but in the final analysis, football is a game.  i think players that bring some attitude are a good thing.  and the other part of it is we need to know if he can take losing without taking taking out on his team mates or even himself. it seemed like leaf really didn't like losing that kc game and took it out on everybody.

Good I didn’t know being a drunken problem child is now required criteria for being a franchise qb

28 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Good I didn’t know being a drunken problem child is now required criteria for being a franchise qb

No but it’s basically the exact definition of a college kid. You are trolling so hard on this. If we draft him it’s goung to be interesting how this turns out. 

Archived