Saquon Barkley Will Be The Pick

SAR I

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

My point was that we would not have had to trade all those seconds if we wanted an RB.

The Jets traded to #3 to give themselves the best chance to draft the QB they were very excited about, nothing more.  When a team picking ahead of them took that QB they were disappointed, however they felt that Barkley was the BPA and so they took him.

No NFL GM is going to trade up to #3 just to get one of the four quarterbacks; he is going to trade up to get the one guy he wants and if he's not available he's not going to settle for one of the others.

SAR I

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I have to say that it stinks we were not in position to take Saquon Barkley (meaning we already had a FQB but just happened to pick this high - similar to the Colts).  He's a great prospect, supposedly a terrific kid, and he grew up a Jets fan.  Now he'll make his name with the Giants.  But at least we'll get to watch his career if he ends up with the Giants.  And that offense should be interesting with Beckham and Barkley.

Why are you talking about Barkley as a Giant when I told you he is going to be drafted by the Jets?

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

I stand to make more money off of the sale of the technology than any Marty McFly Sports Journal scheme.  Not to mention, in the future they come back in time to catch white collar criminals who take advantage of this knowledge.

I'm just glad I'm not a Mets fan.  I can say no more.

SAR I

If you have created a working flux capacitor, I will take one. You should start up a kickstarter for this.

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets traded to #3 to give themselves the best chance to draft the QB they were very excited about, nothing more.  When a team picking ahead of them took that QB they were disappointed, however they felt that Barkley was the BPA and so they took him.

No NFL GM is going to trade up to #3 just to get one of the four quarterbacks; he is going to trade up to get the one guy he wants and if he's not available he's not going to settle for one of the others.

SAR I

My bet is that there are two guys they like and they calculated that they would get one of them at 3.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

As some of you are aware, I recently returned from the future and know what the Jets destiny is.

While I cannot reveal too much as it could have serious consequences on future events, I can tell you that the Jets pick at #3 on Thursday will be Saquon Barkley.  It takes awhile for the story to come out but the QB the Jets were considering was off the board, there were no trade partners, and Barkley was the BPA.

Now that you know, you can stop all the quarterback bickering and relax.  Until next season, that is.

SAR I

in the future are PSL still investment gold?

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

in the future are PSL still investment gold?

I was only able to spend a limited amount of time in the future and I don't have all the answers.  Personal choice; the technology is capable.

SAR I

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

As some of you are aware, I recently returned from the future and know what the Jets destiny is.

While I cannot reveal too much as it could have serious consequences on future events, I can tell you that the Jets pick at #3 on Thursday will be Saquon Barkley.  It takes awhile for the story to come out but the QB the Jets were considering was off the board, there were no trade partners, and Barkley was the BPA.

Now that you know, you can stop all the quarterback bickering and relax.  Until next season, that is.

SAR I

SAR since you already know we're taking Barkley based on your visit to the future can you enlighten us on which of the QBs will be the first to win the Super Bowl?

4 hours ago, oldandintheway said:

SAR since you already know we're taking Barkley based on your visit to the future can you enlighten us on which of the QBs will be the first to win the Super Bowl?

Eff that; get me Friday's Mega numbers. 

3 hours ago, WestCoastOffensive said:

So strange...Joe Pesci has been in my dreams lately....squeezing my head in a vice...it had a Jets decal! Anyway...your message from the future helps me see what's going on. Bless you sir

OMG. WCO!  How long has it been?

I am glad my travels have brought you comfort.

SAR I

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Then Mac trades our number 1 next year to get Lauletta.

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

was this trip to the future after you switched to the Giants, then found out we win the SB before them and you then switched back to being a Jet fan?

20 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It would be idiotic to take Barkley in a stacked RB draft after giving up 3 2nd round picks in order to move up and still have no QB. Macc would be fired on sight.

Beyond idiotic. The most idiotic thing the Jets could do.

every year, it seems, the talking heads are talking up this guy or that guy.  it's as if every draft is stacked with qb's.  this is mainly because the position is so important.  so even though the jets picking barkley may be far fetched, without knowing how they actually rank the qb's it's hard to rule out.  imo, mac basically chose his top guy(s) just before the trade and thats why he moved from 6 to 3.

16 hours ago, roscoeword said:

if Barkely is the second coming of Barry Sanders, don't see why that would be a bad idea.

Why? Because the Lions never win SH*T with Barry Sanders....or Calvin Johnson! Jets better get a f*cking QB or I'm done with them! 

You know that last statement is BS, I'm always a glutton for punishment with this team. Being a Jet fan is like that line from The Rolling Stones, "I've come to get my fair share of abuse".

38 minutes ago, rangerous said:

every year, it seems, the talking heads are talking up this guy or that guy.  it's as if every draft is stacked with qb's.  this is mainly because the position is so important.  so even though the jets picking barkley may be far fetched, without knowing how they actually rank the qb's it's hard to rule out.  imo, mac basically chose his top guy(s) just before the trade and thats why he moved from 6 to 3.

Based on the scouts, guys like Mayock, Bucky Brooks, Jeremiah, Cosell, this draft does IN FACT have more QB prospects than any draft since 1983. We need to draft one & hopefully it's the RIGHT one. Based on past drafts & where QBs were taken, and most mock drafts this year, either EVERY ONE OF THESE GUYS ARE IDIOTS, or there truly are a group of talented signal callers in the 2018 draft.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Based on the scouts, guys like Mayock, Bucky Brooks, Jeremiah, Cosell, this draft does IN FACT have more QB prospects than any draft since 1983. We need to draft one & hopefully it's the RIGHT one. Based on past drafts & where QBs were taken, and most mock drafts this year, either EVERY ONE OF THESE GUYS ARE IDIOTS, or there truly are a group of talented signal callers in the 2018 draft.

you know, i truly want the jets to get a qb and i have faith that mac knows which guy(s) he will chose.  i also think that guys like maycock, kiper, et al are mostly self serving clowns who like to talk a lot.  and all of the published scouts don't need to be idiots.  most are just bandwagon climbers.

20 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

If Rosen and maybe Mayfield are gone I am completely OK with this.

As you should be, it's smart thinking.  It is better to settle for the fantastic can't-miss franchise running back than settle for a diceroll QB you didn't really want just to appease the fans.

One can also argue that if the Jets were slam-dunk going to draft a QB no-matter-what that there was no need to spend $5M+ on Teddy Bridgewater.  Remember, Josh McCown played very well last year for a rebuilding team and Bryce Petty is functional as a decent backup.

When the two QB's the Jets coveted are off the board tomorrow, it's Saquon Barkely, New York Jet.  He's Ladanian Tomlinson 2.0, he's a Jets fan, he's a necessary component of a Super Bowl contender, and it's a really nice consolation prize.

SAR I

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

As you should be, it's smart thinking.  It is better to settle for the fantastic can't-miss franchise running back than settle for a diceroll QB you didn't really want just to appease the fans.

One can also argue that if the Jets were slam-dunk going to draft a QB no-matter-what that there was no need to spend $5M+ on Teddy Bridgewater.  Remember, Josh McCown played very well last year for a rebuilding team and Bryce Petty is functional as a decent backup.

When the two QB's the Jets coveted are off the board tomorrow, it's Saquon Barkely, New York Jet.  He's Ladanian Tomlinson 2.0, he's a Jets fan, he's a necessary component of a Super Bowl contender, and it's a really nice consolation prize.

SAR I

Also a point not to be ignored is he's a leader, he will change our culture.  Good kid, smart kid, unbelievably hard working.  He would make an impact.

Gil Brandt longtime VP of Player Personal for the Cowboys and now NFL Draft Analyst said this week that he's evaluated 632 running backs in all his years, and Saquon Barkley is the clear cut best he's ever scouted.

This QB class is deep but they all have gaping holes.  Whoever passes on Barkley will regret it, promise you that.

1 hour ago, burkett2112 said:

Also a point not to be ignored is he's a leader, he will change our culture.  Good kid, smart kid, unbelievably hard working.  He would make an impact.

Gil Brandt longtime VP of Player Personal for the Cowboys and now NFL Draft Analyst said this week that he's evaluated 632 running backs in all his years, and Saquon Barkley is the clear cut best he's ever scouted.

This QB class is deep but they all have gaping holes.  Whoever passes on Barkley will regret it, promise you that.

So you would pass up Sam Darnold for Barkley? We haven't had a QB in YEARS! My god man, just draft Penny in the 3rd round if he's still there. What do Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, LT, AP, David Johnson, Zeke Elliot have in common? No superbowls. Name the Pats RBs from their 2016 Super Bowl win, Eagles, Broncos, Pats in 2015, Ravens 2013, Giants 2012, Packers 2011, Saints 2010.

Barkley over a QB? You guys are CRAZY!

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So you would pass up Sam Darnold for Barkley? We haven't had a QB in YEARS! My god man, just draft Penny in the 3rd round if he's still there. What do Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, LT, AP, David Johnson, Zeke Elliot have in common? No superbowls. Name the Pats RBs from their 2016 Super Bowl win, Eagles, Broncos, Pats in 2015, Ravens 2013, Giants 2012, Packers 2011, Saints 2010.

I do not think any of these top 4 QBs are can't miss guys.  This draft is deep at QB but they all have major holes.  There is no can't miss Andrew Luck, Manning (eli or Peyton).  Hell I don't even think I like any of these guys as much as I liked Wentz.

Since 1999, 33 Quarterbacks have been drafted in the top 10 of the NFL draft.  1 has won a super bowl.  So if you're of the concept that you need to mortgage your future and top trade into the top 3 and MUST take a QB you're mistaken.  

Also let's clarify something.... Nobody is saying you necessarily HAVE to take Barkley over any QB (I personal would but I get the other side of the argument).  The real discussion was we traded up to 3 without knowing what happens in front of us (hence why almost no teams ever do what the jets just did), our argument was IF the top 2 qbs on our board were gone then we should take Barkley.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Not that I think that RB is as important as QB, but Jay Ajayi isn't hard to remember.  Neither is Ray Rice or Marshawn Lynch.  Legarrette Blount was on 3 of the teams you list.  I noticed no Reggie Bush in your list, but I guess Pierre Thomas was well ahead of him by that point.

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not that I think that RB is as important as QB, but Jay Ajayi isn't hard to remember.  Neither is Ray Rice or Marshawn Lynch.  Legarrette Blount was on 3 of the teams you list.  I noticed no Reggie Bush in your list, but I guess Pierre Thomas was well ahead of him by that point.

What round were all those guys you just mentioned taken in?

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What round were all those guys you just mentioned taken in?

If you think that is how to judge them, maybe you think we should look for guys who were suspended?  Blount and Thomas were undrafted. Ajayi was a 5th, Rice a 2nd.  Marshawn Lynch was 12th overall (I thought 10th, but I was wrong) and Reggie Bush 2nd.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you think that is how to judge them, maybe you think we should look for guys who were suspended?  Blount and Thomas were undrafted. Ajayi was a 5th, Rice a 2nd.  Marshawn Lynch was 12th overall (I thought 10th, but I was wrong) and Reggie Bush 2nd.

I think any team without a QB passing on Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield at the top of the draft is a mistake. I think all 3 will have varying success in the NFL but all 3 will be starting QBs eventually. I actually wish we could take a flyer on Allen but its too risky for this organization. Lamar Jackson will also go mid to end of 1st.

Someone else will surprise later like Lauletta, Allen, Rudolph, White. There is a reason many think this class has a chance to equal the amount of starting NFL QBs as 1983. Their individual success will be determined by many factors, coaching, surrounding talent ect.

Archived