Oakland Raiders release Hackenberg

16 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

My two cents.  I feel bad for the kid because he should have never been drafted that high by Mac in the first lace.  It put incredible pressure on a player that required a ton of development. Not only did Mac make a terrible pick, he also wasn't prepared to put a proper development program in place to maximize whatever talent Hackenberg might have had.  This organization really screwed Hackenberg as far as I'm concerned and was one of the worst draft swing and misses Ive seen in the NFL draft n a long time. That's all on Mac. 

This is true. When you reach so far for a guy and pick him early in the second round, you should be fired if he doesn’t pan out. Mac is all about BPA but then picks a 4th rounder in the early 2nd ?‍♂️

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I'm sure he'll be fine in the non football world. Still shocked that he didn't even make it to TC. Gruden must have said WTF? and decided not to waste anymore time on him. Kinda sad.

Suspect sometime today we'll be hearing that Gruden signed Hack to his PS.  Gets to keep his 7th, and keep a developmental player on the PS

56 minutes ago, JiF said:

Homeboy made a cool million playing Xbox in an NFL locker room and he had no more business being there than you or I...and you feel sorry for him? 

I am not talking about financially. 

The kid has become the poster child for QB draft busts as the only 2nd round QB in the last 35 years who never got into a game.  Had he been drafted on day 3 -- when he probably should have been -- he would just be another long shot project QB that someone took a shot with that didn't work out.  No shame in that.  Instead, because he was overdrafted (through no fault of his own) he has become a punching bag for the fans and media.  Not his fault that he was overdrafted.

1 hour ago, jackhuntr said:

Think about this......the Raiders think higher about a 7th round pick than Hack.

It's worse than that really -- they could have held him through training camp and cut him without giving up the 7th. What cutting him now says is that he was so bad they felt like spending minicamp reps on him was a waste and that they were better served by bringing 34 year old Frostee Rucker onto the 90 man roster. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not talking about financially. 

The kid has become the poster child for QB draft busts as the only 2nd round QB in the last 35 years who never got into a game.  Had he been drafted on day 3 -- when he probably should have been -- he would just be another long shot project QB that someone took a shot with that didn't work out.  No shame in that.  Instead, because he was overdrafted (through no fault of his own) he has become a punching bag for the fans and media.  Not his fault that he was overdrafted.

Do you think he cares?  He got to hang out and kick it with NFL players making a million dollars in the process. 

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

agreed but I thought based on his resume he would be better. NOT ONE professional liked the HACK pick. 

I loved how Mac was scared Houston traded/moved up from right behind jets, to right in front of them, to pick hackenberg. Since O’Brien use to coach hac at penn state, Mac thought his steal was all over ? but no they were being professional. They knew jets had a glaring need at center to replace mangold, so they jumped the jets in fear they would pick the stud center they wanted. They didn’t get the memo I guess, Mac would never pick a offensive lineman before the 5th round lol

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Do you think he cares?  He got to hang out and kick it with NFL players making a million dollars in the process. 

I think he cares....  he was not NFL caliber and of course he had a GREAT experience but he will , in a few years look back at a great opportunity gone awry.  Yes..he after taxes may have $1,000,000 in the bank but that's no big deal in the big scheme of things.  Bottom line, I think he cares.  

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I get you never liked the guy; but to say he could never play is ridiculous.  I am not saying he should have been 'given a chance.'  He never should have been drafted in the first place. But he was ranked as one of the best recruits coming out of high school (5 star) by multiple ranking sources, and had a decent year as a freshman.  I find it strange that he never developed into anything better from that point.  Just a thought, just a comment.  

True, but Chris Leak was the highest-ranked HS prospect in the nation at one point also.  He didn't do much at Florida.  It happens....

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True, but Chris Leak was the highest-ranked HS prospect in the nation at one point also.  He didn't do much at Florida.  It happens....

Ummmmm....he's the all time leading passer in the history of the program and won a National Championship taking home the MVP of the game.  Other than that...yeah, didnt do much.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are we really gonna credit him more than Tebow for that?

100%.  Not even close.  Tebow as basically a Full Back that season.  I think he attempted like 30 passes, mostly in mop up duty.  Yeah, he had an impact on games and had some TD's but that was Chris Leak's team.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

100%.  Not even close.  Tebow as basically a Full Back that season.  I think he attempted like 30 passes, mostly in mop up duty.  Yeah, he had an impact on games and had some TD's but that was Chris Leak's team.  

Tebow attempted 8 passes the entire season. And completed 6. He also played on special teams and Westhoff said he was a good ST player. That season there was no logical reason to not give Tebow more of an opportunity as a Qb no matter how bad he looked in practice. Mark was going south and they had nothing to lose. You'd have to ask Rex on that one. I'm still confused by it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Tebow attempted 8 passes the entire season. And completed 6. He also played on special teams and Westhoff said he was a good ST player. That season there was no logical reason to not give Tebow more of an opportunity as a Qb no matter how bad he looked in practice. Mark was going south and they had nothing to lose. You'd have to ask Rex on that one. I'm still confused by it. 

We were talking about Leak vs. Tebow while at Florida but good take either way.  Never understood why he want to McElroy over Tebow. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jackhuntr said:

Think about this......the Raiders think higher about a 7th round pick than Hack.

The fact is it's hard to develop a young Qb with three Qb's in camp.( almost impossible with four) Due to the new rules there isn't enough time for NFL teams to work with non finished Qb.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders sign another Qb that further along than Hackenberg.( never can have enough competition in camp- that can really push for the backup job.

my advice to Hackenberg if he's serious about continuing his career as a Qb , he should try to  play up in Canada.   He needs to play, (only way he's going to develop) and if he improved he will get another chance in the NFL.( right now there are so many Qbs that you can get that are much closer to being NFL ready.

I’m shocked there are still folks around here advocating for Tevow as an NFL QB. He just did not have the tools. It is amazing he got as far as he did.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The fact is it's hard to develop a young Qb with three Qb's in camp.( almost impossible with four) Due to the new rules there isn't enough time for NFL teams to work with non finished Qb.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders sign another Qb that further along than Hackenberg.( never can have enough competition in camp- that can really push for the backup job.

my advice to Hackenberg if he's serious about continuing his career as a Qb , he should try to  play up in Canada.   He needs to play, (only way he's going to develop) and if he improved he will get another chance in the NFL.( right now there are so many Qbs that you can get that are much closer to being NFL ready.

Actually in Canada accuracy is even more important than in US due to wider field. Plays tend to go horizontal than vertical. Misnomer that a bust in USA could automatically be a star in Canada. Pennington would’ve been incredible in canada due to accuracy.

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This is true. When you reach so far for a guy and pick him early in the second round, you should be fired if he doesn’t pan out. Mac is all about BPA but then picks a 4th rounder in the early 2nd ?‍♂️

The 20th pick of the second round. It was bad enough without the exaggeration. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I’m shocked there are still folks around here advocating for Tevow as an NFL QB. He just did not have the tools. It is amazing he got as far as he did.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm talking only 2012. With the Jets. And only using him because Sanchez was having a terrible season. Mark deserved to be the starter for 2012. Tebow looked bad but won games for the Broncos including leading a drive that beat us and winning a playoff game. So he had some credibility. I would have liked to see him play more as a Qb and maybe get a few starts that season. We had nothing to lose. As for after 2012 he had tryouts with Belichick and Chip Kelly and both of them told him he didn't have it as an NFL Qb. He eventually listened to them. He also doesn't have it as an MLB player. He's a .230 hitter in the minors with little power. He's in reality an Independent League player. 

32 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

I guess connor cook was > the hack after all.  Who would have guessed that a guy who won like 90% of his games and lead his team to multiple bowl games was better than a guy who couldn't hit the side of a barn with a pass.

Having seen Cook play against the Texans in the playoffs I'm not sure this is much to crow about.

14 hours ago, jmat321 said:

My take on Hack is he should of transferred when Penn St hired Franklin.  He was not a fit in that Offense, took a beating, lost all confidence, etc.  Only reason he was a prospect in the ‘16 draft was that freshman season in a pro style offense.  Should of never went in the 2nd, but could def see someone taking a flyer on him in rounds 4 thru 6.  Thought Houston or NE would take him around there.  Mac likely heard a ton about Hack thru O’Brien, got cute/cocky in the war room, reached at 2, probably thought he got a steal.  Hack got to camp, coaching staff realized he was completely lost, not all there and that was it.  

the decision not to transfer cost him a lot of money and cut short his livelyhood.  

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Teddy

And no we are not resigning Hackintard under any circumstances I’d rather we sign Tim freaking Tebow or Colin “look at me” Kaepernick or Johnny “Baker in 4 years” Manziel to start one lousy preseason game 

the NFL would be very wise to have some team pick up Kaep for the 4th preseason game.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets aren't looking at Teddy as a potential starter. Darnold is getting the bulk of the work, and McCown is getting all of his work with the starters. Bridgewater is an insurance policy. Once they feel he's worth more in a trade than he is on the bench, they'll move him. 

They should be. If he's playing lights out, then mission accomplished. We have competent QB play... this is like caveman mentality - "We draft qb. we don't need qb. we trade qb. get picks. make happy"... 

I'm preaching to practice some patience and prudence. We don't have a proven winner on the team. All options should be explored better than your reply intimated. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

They should be. If he's playing lights out, then mission accomplished. We have competent QB play... this is like caveman mentality - "We draft qb. we don't need qb. we trade qb. get picks. make happy"... 

I'm preaching to practice some patience and prudence. We don't have a proven winner on the team. All options should be explored better than your reply intimated. 

Bridgewater has never been a "lights out" player. He was a pretty good starter in Minnesota, never putting up a better year than McCown had for the Jets last year. This idea that he's some great QB is misguided. 

The Jets are looking at all three guys, giving Darnold the most reps, many with the starters, giving McCown nothing but reps with the starters, and giving Bridgewater the scraps. You may think they should be looking at Bridgewater as a potential starter, but they're not. They're preparing McCown to start, and Darnold to take over ASAP. It should be no surprise that the Jets are the most impressed with the #3 pick in the draft (who most predicted to go #1 overall) over a guy who went at the end of the first round and hasn't really played football for the two years since his leg accidentally fell off. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, it ABSOLUTELY does....I'm glad he is gone; I had us picking him in a mock I did in the 7th round.  thought he would be worth a flyer there, NOT as the 2nd round pick.

I am just the type that wonders about sh*t like this....how do you go from such a highly touted prospect to not being able to hit the water in the ocean?  Weird....But hey, he got a cool million, can now move on to whatever he wants.  Not his fault Mac pulled an all-time, top ten worst NFL draft pick.