Redskins - Jets Joint Practices: Days 2 & 3

Lith

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Worth a listen -- Josh Norman on Darnold.

WOW. Kinda all you need to know. If he has that effect on one of the best corners in the game, how can he not be ready? Clearly he fell for none of Normans traps and like he said "what rookie does that?"

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Not surprised to see Swearinger actling like a cowardly thug.  Typical Gamecock who talks and talk and never wins anything. 

Pretty sure he is also the guy that took out Dustin Keller's knees in preseason against Dolphins a few years ago.  Ended his career.

30 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im just frustrated with the constant criticism that Mac hasnt addressed the offensive line enough and yet the people who hammer away at that narrative never have good examples of where we missed on someone.  I posted this in another thread:

When exactly did Mac pass on some cant miss LT to take this infamous BPA?

Mac passed on 2 LTs in the Leo draft - Ereck Flowers (he should get an award for that) and Andrus Peat, who is a fine player but no better then Leo

In the Lee draft he tried to trade up for Tunsil (is he even good) but didnt have a shot to get Taylor Lewan or Jack Conklin who were both excellent prospects.

Last year the first tackle was Garrett Bolles who would have a been an extraordinary reach at 6.

Our Oline has holes, no question.  But for everyone ripping Mac for not addressing it, where are your examples where he made a mistake?  Ive mentioned in the other Mac-Oline-Bashing threads that I was floored that he passed on Pat Eflein when he traded down and took stewart.  Elflein was a great college player, who fell further then people thought and fit a need.  Ill never understand why he didnt take him.  But other then that I dont see concrete examples of where he missed on a lineman.

Mac has traded up for Brandon Shell, a RT who has improved each year.  He resigned winters after a good season and he unfortunately got hurt in 2017.  He signed Beachem and Spencer Long and also signed Carpenter who has been a god jet.  

He hasnt been perfect but Oline has been a tough find in the draft for the whole league lately, we arent that different.

I think you could also argue that with our cap space we could have possibly signed Ryan Jensen and Long for good interior depth, but for some reason Jensen was never really mentioned as an option here, but I certainly wouldnt have complained about it given how much cap space we have.

The draft followers on this site (myself included) have watched good prospects like Germain Ifedi (seattle), Jason Spriggs, and Jake Fischer all fall WAY below expectations, and all three are worse players then Brandon Shell.  All im saying is that the complaints that we have missed on edge rushers is a lot more valid given the success of mid-round OLB/DEs that Mac missed on then the narrative that we are consistently shunning the Oline. 

I see where you are coming from but he lack of O-line drafted in first 3 rounds is where I think most people with that stance (myself included) are coming from and it’s valid. I wasn’t thrilled with many 1st round O-line prospects during 2015-17 but there were some solid prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round that should have been considered. Considering the disasters that we drafted there, it wouldn’t have been such a bad thing.

Mac did a good (not great) job with Shell and has done a really good job with value O-line via FA like Beachum/Long/Carpenter(pre scheme change). It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other. It just deserved more attention is all.

30 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

3 stand up guys

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Haven’t been happier with our QBs in years. Wish we could keep Sam and Bridge with McCown as coach. That would be a dream but not realistic at all unless Bridgewater fails elsewhere, settles for being a backup and comes back home to us. I can dream haha. 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Josh McCown should be given a lifetime gig with the organization.

You don’t just “cheer lead” and love the team/success of others without genuinely loving the game of football AND being a great guy. I can see more than QB coaching in McCown’s future and what better way to start his coaching career than with us as a QB coach. It’s the perfect transition for him. 

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is extremely telling...woah boy I liked that.

Praise from respected/tough players that aren’t even on the Jets will help us become a destination for free agents again. I really hope this year can be a great learning experience for Sam and the whole team so we can load up in 2019 for good. 

46 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im just frustrated with the constant criticism that Mac hasnt addressed the offensive line enough and yet the people who hammer away at that narrative never have good examples of where we missed on someone.  I posted this in another thread:

When exactly did Mac pass on some cant miss LT to take this infamous BPA?

Mac passed on 2 LTs in the Leo draft - Ereck Flowers (he should get an award for that) and Andrus Peat, who is a fine player but no better then Leo

In the Lee draft he tried to trade up for Tunsil (is he even good) but didnt have a shot to get Taylor Lewan or Jack Conklin who were both excellent prospects.

Last year the first tackle was Garrett Bolles who would have a been an extraordinary reach at 6.

Our Oline has holes, no question.  But for everyone ripping Mac for not addressing it, where are your examples where he made a mistake?  Ive mentioned in the other Mac-Oline-Bashing threads that I was floored that he passed on Pat Eflein when he traded down and took stewart.  Elflein was a great college player, who fell further then people thought and fit a need.  Ill never understand why he didnt take him.  But other then that I dont see concrete examples of where he missed on a lineman.

Mac has traded up for Brandon Shell, a RT who has improved each year.  He resigned winters after a good season and he unfortunately got hurt in 2017.  He signed Beachem and Spencer Long and also signed Carpenter who has been a god jet.  

He hasnt been perfect but Oline has been a tough find in the draft for the whole league lately, we arent that different.

I think you could also argue that with our cap space we could have possibly signed Ryan Jensen and Long for good interior depth, but for some reason Jensen was never really mentioned as an option here, but I certainly wouldnt have complained about it given how much cap space we have.

The draft followers on this site (myself included) have watched good prospects like Germain Ifedi (seattle), Jason Spriggs, and Jake Fischer all fall WAY below expectations, and all three are worse players then Brandon Shell.  All im saying is that the complaints that we have missed on edge rushers is a lot more valid given the success of mid-round OLB/DEs that Mac missed on then the narrative that we are consistently shunning the Oline. 

Agreed. The other thing I would like to point out is that he inherited a team with very little talent, most of the talent the team had was old (for NFL) and aging by the minute and absolutely no depth. It wasn't like the team was great and all we needed was OL. When you have that many holes, why reach at all. Fill them as the players fall in the draft.

He has made some mistakes (and IMO some real head-scratchers), but you cannot draft 20 players a year all in the first 3 rounds. We have some decent talent, some real depth, and hopefully a franchise QB. I have been reading that next year might have a good depth in OL, hopefully we draft a few early on.

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Agreed. The other thing I would like to point out is that he inherited a team with very little talent, most of the talent the team had was old (for NFL) and aging by the minute and absolutely no depth. It wasn't like the team was great and all we needed was OL. When you have that many holes, why reach at all. Fill them as the players fall in the draft.

He has made some mistakes (and IMO some real head-scratchers), but you cannot draft 20 players a year all in the first 3 rounds. We have some decent talent, some real depth, and hopefully a franchise QB. I have been reading that next year might have a good depth in OL, hopefully we draft a few early on.

I would also argue that Brick retired a year (at least) before anyone thought he would, which obviously was at a very important position.

45 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Macc has done some good things, but I am violently opposed to his stance on the OL. He actually has stated he does not like using high draft picks on OL. I could not disagree with that more. To me the OL (next to QB which is in a different category by itself) the #1 priority for building a team is OL, followed DL. In my opinion though you can develop a far more competent DL with second tier players than OL, where second tier players just cannot get it down. Drafting 2 first round OL solidified this team for 10 years. Macc needs to wake up. OL is more important that edge rusher as well.

I don't remember him every saying that, do you have a link? (not calling you out, just would be curious to read it). It also seems pretty weird for him to say that especially since it appears he tried to trade up to draft an OL instead of Lee.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

what a load of sh*t.

All I know is Pryor has never been labeled a prick in any of his stops in OAK, CLE, SEA etc. He's been a respectable leader at QB... This is more about that toxic waste dump that is Snyder's skins. 

Why would you say that?  If a guy is showboating and the coach won't let you hit him, you aren't going to get mad?  You aren't going to lay into him when you can? It's probably more on the coach than on Pryor, but still. 

Love what Josh Norman said here...... LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Norman said on one play Tuesday, he tried to fool Darnold into a throw, playing a little tighter on an underneath route, knowing another receiver was just a little behind him.

"I gave him some cheese," Norman said. "He held it and he was going to throw it and he pulled it back and I jumped back real fast and I was like, you little devil. OK, I see you working really good right now. I couldn't bait him like I wanted to and he saw it and he read it out and he read it out like a vet. You tip your hat to a guy like that, learning at an early age when guys are messing with him and when they're not. It's pretty awesome."

There's that awesome word again and I'm Loving it!!!

No Pants Parties and More Weekend Events in Boston | BDCWire

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Norman said on one play Tuesday, he tried to fool Darnold into a throw, playing a little tighter on an underneath route, knowing another receiver was just a little behind him.

"I gave him some cheese," Norman said. "He held it and he was going to throw it and he pulled it back and I jumped back real fast and I was like, you little devil. OK, I see you working really good right now. I couldn't bait him like I wanted to and he saw it and he read it out and he read it out like a vet. You tip your hat to a guy like that, learning at an early age when guys are messing with him and when they're not. It's pretty awesome."

jet Homer.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Pretty amazing, coming from a great player like that. Have a new-found respect for Norman. I'm taking his side now in that Beckham duel he had.

Jets camp Day 13 observations: More fights, terrible penalty and some surprise standouts

Posted August 14, 2018 at 02:47 PM | Updated August 14, 2018 at 03:33 PM

1share

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

RICHMOND, Va. — The Jets held their 13th day of training camp practice and the last of three joint practices with Washington on Tuesday morning. The Jets and Washington play in a preseason game – the second for both teams – on Thursday night at FedEx Field. So how are the Jets looking, as Sam Darnold competes for the starting quarterback job? 

WR Pryor staying patient coming off broken ankle
Steve Helber/Associated Press

Here are some takeaways and observations from Tuesday's practice.

Light final day

The Jets and Redskins practiced without pads on Tuesday, taking it a little easier on the final day of joint workouts and in the last practice before Thursday night's preseason game at FedEx Field. Practice also ended a little early, wrapping up around 11:55 a.m. – just a little more than two hours after it began.

Pryor vs. Redskins eruprts

Jets wide receiver Terrelle Pryor got into it with Redskins safety D.J. Swearinger at the end of a one-on-one drill toward the start of practice on Tuesday. Swearinger broke up a pass in the drill's final rep, then the two started jawing at one another after. A few seconds later, Swearinger faked a punch and got Pryor to bite, as he flinched and turned away.

Other tensions bubble up

Pryor vs. Swearinger was far from the only incident during practice. Jets corner Rashad Robinson chirped with tight end Cam Sims after breaking up a pass. Jets offensive lineman Jonnothan Harrison got into a verbal battle with Washington's Zach Brown, who could be heard yelling threats. Jets offensive lineman Dakota Dozier and linebacker Ryan Anderson got into a shoving match, as did Jets defensive end Nathan Shepherd and Washington offensive lineman Shawn Lauvao.

And at one point the entire Jets offense and Redskins defense came together in a skirmish, though no punches were thrown.

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Injury report

The following players did not practice on Tuesday: running back Trenton Cannon, wide receiver Jonah Trinnaman, tight end Neal Sterling, tight end Chris Herndon, cornerback Parry Nickerson, offensive lineman Brian Winters, offensive lineman Ben Ijalana, fullback Dimitri Flowers, cornerback Juston Burris, cornerback Xavier Coleman and kicker Cairo Santos.

Todd Bowles also said after Monday's practice that linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin did not make the trip to Richmond. That brought the list to six players. Offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum, running back Isaiah Crowell, nose tackle Steve McLendon, safety Rontez Miles and running back Eli McGuire are the others.

Wide receiver Quincy Enunwa returned, but only did individual drills without defense. Safety Kacy Rodgers II returned to full action and tight end Jordan Leggett was back in full action for the second straight day.

Offensive line update

Finally some consistency on the offensive line. With Beachum, Ijalana and Winters all out, Brent Qvale was back in as the starting left tackle and Harrison was at right guard. Travis Swanson took the reps at second-team center. All of those fill-ins were the same as Monday. Obviously it's not ideal to have so many injuries, but keeping things the same for another day limited the chaos, at least. 

More OLB upheaval

Once again, the Jets changed things up at outside linebacker. Jordan Jenkins and Josh Martin took most of the first-team reps, but Brandon Copeland and Frankie Luvu rolled in with the starters on occasion, too. On Monday, it was Jenkins and Copeland that saw the starting reps. 

On an unrelated note, safety Doug Middleton took some first-team reps in the secondary, subbing in for Marcus Maye on occasion.

Kick return battle

Only two players were in the mix during kick return drills on Tuesday: Andre Roberts and Lucky Whitehead. The limited numbers were a function of injury with Cannon sitting out practice. He's still in the mix for that job, he just couldn't participate this time around.

7-on-7 highlights

The Jets' backup defense looked strong against the Redskins' depth offensive players during 7-on-7 drills. Linebacker Anthony Wint snared an interception, then safety Terrell Sinkfield followed it up with another pick on the next play. Sinkfield also made a diving pass breakup earlier in the segment, while Robinson broke up a would-be TD pass at the back of the end zone.

Defense gets flagged

The Jets were penalty-free on offense Tuesday, but the defense was a different story. That unit got flagged five times, including one penalty for having 12 men on the field. That's obviously a sloppy penalty to take in practice, especially one that was run without pads and featured relatively low-intensity team drills.

Ugly drops

A pair of tight ends – Leggett and Eric Tomlinson – had some low moments. Tomlinson dropped a simple, short dump-off pass from Darnold. Leggett dropped a pass while wide open in space during the two-minute drill, but at least his error came after he'd already made two nice catches during the sequence.

TD of the day

Darnold found tight end Clive Walford with a 20-yard touchdown pass to cap a well-executed two-minute drill toward the end of practice. Walford ran a seam route, managed to shed his defensive back, make the catch and score. He flipped the ball and celebrated with some passion after slashing through the Redskins' defense, too.

Surprise RB standout

Thomas Rawls has generally had a rough training camp, but he had a strong Tuesday. The highlight was a catch-and-run TD from Darnold during a red-zone team period, but he also made a handful of other grabs. He'll need some more of those days if he wants to grab the Jets' No. 3 running back job, which is currently open with Eli McGuire injured.

More extra work

For the second straight day, Pryor and intern coach Antonio Cromartie stuck around after practice to get some extra work in, with Pryor running routes and Cromartie giving him pointers on technique.

How did the QBs look?

Darnold looked good on Tuesday as he continued getting comfortable working with the first team. He drew rave reviews from Redskins cornerback Josh Norman. Here are highlights from Darnold's day. And here is a full breakdown of his day, plus notes on Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater.

How do the rookies look?

The Jets have 14 rookies on the roster, including a handful who are in position battles and could see serious playing time. Here's how they've stacked up in camp so far.

Five observations from Tuesday's Jets-Redskins practice: 1.) Sam Darnold was sharp. Consider: He threw only six incompletions in 19 attempts, and that includes three drops. 2.) RB Thomas Rawls, battling for a roster spot, had one of his better practices. He got off to a slow start in camp, then got banged up. Now he's healthy and contributing as a runner and receiver. Rawls, who sat out the opener, will get a lot of work on Thursday. 3.) S Marcus Maye (ankle) continued to work his way back slowly, getting limited reps. If he plays in the game, it won't be much. 4.) Lot of rotating at linebacker, but it looks like the third-down rushers this week will be Brandon Copeland and rookie Frankie Luvu. 5.) WR Chad Hansen, having a quiet camp, flashed with a nice catch in team drills.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

Jets' Sam Darnold Day 13 camp takeaways | Impressive in final prep for likely start at Redskins

Posted August 14, 2018 at 03:30 PM | Updated August 14, 2018 at 03:30 PM

3shares

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

RICHMOND, Va. — The Jets and quarterback Sam Darnold finished up their third and final joint practice with Washington on Tuesday. It was the Jets' 13th practice of training camp — and their final one before their second preseason game, Thursday night at Washington, where Darnold will likely start. But first, let's bring you some Darnold takeaways from Tuesday's action. 

Jets Rookie Camp Football
AP Photo

Darnold is competing with Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater for the Jets' Week 1 starting quarterback job. 

HOW DID DARNOLD LOOK IN MOST RECENT ACTION?

On Day 12 of Jets camp, Monday in Richmond, Darnold got a lot of first-team reps and looked sharp. 

DARNOLD'S DAY 13 STATS

Darnold on Tuesday once again got a lot of work, especially with the first team. He received 28 reps (23 with the starters) and completed 11 of 19 passes for two touchdowns. 

THE GREAT STUFF

Darnold's best drive came at the end of practice, when he was going against Washington's starting defense in a hurry-up, move-the-ball period. Darnold, in six reps, completed 5 of 6 passes, including a pretty, well-timed 20-yard touchdown pass down the seam to Clive Walford. Darnold started the drive with two fantastic, strong sideline throws to Jordan Leggett. Darnold's only incomplete pass on the drive was a Leggett drop. 

THE GOOD STUFF

After practice, Washington cornerback Josh Norman, one of the NFL's most prominent defensive players, raved about Darnold's progress. Click here to read what Norman had to say about Darnold. 

THE BAD STUFF

On Darnold's eight incomplete passes, he was victimized by three drops (Eric Tomlinson and Charles Johnson, in addition to Leggett) and by Leggett short-arming a ball over the middle that he probably should've caught. He also threw a ball away under pressure. So he really had just three incomplete passes, one of which was batted down at the line of scrimmage. Darnold also missed on a short pass and was high for Robby Anderson in the end zone. 

THE UGLY STUFF

Darnold did throw one interception Tuesday, but not in team periods ... and Charone Peake didn't exactly run a great route on this interception play. It happened in a one-on-one drill, with Peake facing off against cornerback Greg Stroman, who picked Darnold off at the goal line. It was a goal-line situational drill. Otherwise, a strong day for Darnold, especially in team periods. 

HOW DID JOSH MCCOWN DO?

Limited work for him again. Don't expect him to play on Thursday in Washington. He got five reps (all with the starting offensive line) and completed both passes he threw. 

HOW DID TEDDY BRIDGEWATER DO?

He got 24 reps (including three with the starters) and completed 7 of 13 passes. Like McCown, no touchdowns or picks for Bridgewater in team periods Tuesday. And no picks for Darnold in team periods, either. It seems likely Darnold gets the first half in Washington on Thursday and Bridgewater gets the second half. 

IS DARNOLD PROGRESSING?

He sure is. Just check out what Norman said about him. And just watch these practices. You can see Darnold's progress daily. If he plays well on Thursday night in preseason game No. 2, this could be his starting job to lose entering next week's third preseason game, against the Giants. 

WHAT DARNOLD HAD TO SAY

He didn't speak to reporters Tuesday. 

WHAT TODD BOWLES HAD TO SAY

Bowles declined to say if Darnold will start on Thursday, but it's pretty obvious he will, based on how the practice reps unfolded in these joint practices with Washington in Richmond. 

"He's catching up," Bowles said of Darnold. "He's getting a grasp of the offense. It's good to go against another team. He's seeing some things that he hasn't seen before. It was good work for us to come down here." 

Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

DARNOLD'S TOTAL CAMP STATS

299 reps (112 with starters), 90-of-156 passing (57.7 percent), 15 touchdowns, five interceptions 

(Team periods stats only, in 10 total practices for Darnold, as compared to 13 for the other two quarterbacks.)

MCCOWN'S TOTAL CAMP STATS

218 reps (all with starters), 80-of-120 passing (66.7 percent), seven touchdowns, one interception

BRIDGEWATER'S TOTAL CAMP STATS

327 reps (69 with starters), 103-of-163 passing (63.2 percent), five touchdowns, two interceptions 

OVERALL THOUGHTS ON DARNOLD'S DAY 13 PRACTICE

Quite encouraging, especially his final drive of practice, including that 20-yard touchdown strike to Walford. As we mentioned, five of Darnold's eight incomplete passes Tuesday weren't really on him (three drops, short-armed catch attempt, throwaway under pressure). This was another day of progress for Darnold. 

Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

SO WHO LEADS QB BATTLE?

Still technically McCown. But if Darnold plays well Thursday night in Washington, he could immediately become the leading contender to be the Jets' Week 1 starting quarterback. Things very trended in Darnold's favor this week at practice, given how much work he got with the starters and how (mostly) solid he looked. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Archived