### Jets vs Giants - Preseason Game 3 --- The Game Thread ###

Maxman

11 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I just want a game with no injuries.

Speaking of injuries, this is worth a look for old times sake ...

Ah, the unforgettable game that knocked Sanchez out and ultimately started the long and fruitful career of Geno Smith. 

I get chills when watching this. Reminds me of Mo Lewis/Tom Brady.

?

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ah, the unforgettable game that knocked Sanchez out and ultimately started the long and fruitful career of Geno Smith. 

I get chills when watching this. Reminds me of Mo Lewis/Tom Brady.

?

May be the first time in NFL history a QB won the starting job by throwing three interceptions. What a great time it was to be a Jets fan.

For those circling this thread:

1. Who needs to look good tonight? (non-Darnold please) Like who do you think stands to gain (or lose) the most tonight 
  2. Rookie or 2nd stringer you're watching closely tonight 

I think the WR corp needs to establish itself tonight. Who, and where they'll line up. This is horsesh*t to be going into a dress rehearsal and not know who's lining up at X, Z, slot etc. Pryor (is he playing), McBride, these guys all have to show up tonight, or start packing. We've got an excess of mediocrity there. 

Secondly, I'd like to see Cannon (is he playing) on offense, and Jones on defense pop tonight. I really don't think we need to keep 12 backs and I want the secondary to be more physical and dominant because lord knows we don't got a passrush. 

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

If the Giants had called the Jets and said "we have a deal for our pick but we'd rather not drop too far...give us a 4th rounder to swap places" do you think the Jets would have agreed?  Or do you think the Giants were actually so concerned that we might take Barkley over Darnold that they didn't want to risk it?  It seems like at the very least they could have held us up for a little more draft capital.  I'm glad they didn't, but it is mind-boggling that they didn't even try.

i am still shocked the Giants were not able to get something from us.   i think we would have agreed to give up a fourth.

Agreed, on the first part.
But I don't think Eli is durable they should have taken a QB.
Anyway what do you mean by Before Sam D is in NY?

Im thinking he thinks Barkley will be onto another team or his career will be over while we will still have our Franchise QB here his whole career.

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

1. Who needs to look good tonight? (non-Darnold please) Like who do you think stands to gain (or lose) the most tonight 

I think the WR corp needs to establish itself tonight. Who, and where they'll line up. This is horsesh*t to be going into a dress rehearsal and not know who's lining up at X, Z, slot etc. Pryor (is he playing), McBride, these guys all have to show up tonight, or start packing. We've got an excess of mediocrity there. 

Secondly, I'd like to see Cannon (is he playing) on offense, and Jones on defense pop tonight. I really don't think we need to keep 12 backs and I want the secondary to be more physical and dominant because lord knows we don't got a passrush. 

I'd like to see Leggett actually be productive. Herndon I can wait on, Sterling I've seen but Leggett needs to show he's healthy, can take some hits, and catch the damn ball. 

One of the damn pass rushers need to step up, no idea who. But if you're lined up against Flowers, I expect you to beat him. 

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

1) Eric Tomlinson, Lawrence Thomas, Xavier Cooper, Dylan Donahue, Chad Hansen.....Terrence Brooks vs JJ Wicox at safety, Daryl Roberts vs Justin Burris at CB

2) Ben Braden, Travis Swanson, Jonnathan Harrison on the OL.  Brandon Copeland and Frankie Luvu at OLB

15 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

huge chip on his shoulder.  i think we have the snoopy bowl locked up for the next decade.

I think the kid is too level headed to have a chip on his shoulder because the Giants didn't pick him. I don't think he cares because he feels like he is going to be successful wherever he goes and it's their loss. 

OL: sounds like all starters will be playing. Let’s see how they hold up against an average pass rush.

Defensive Scheme: I know we don’t want to show our hand but whatever. I want to see how Bowles expects us to generate pressure. Send 11 after the QB if we need to. We need that Rex Ryan amoeba defense.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Couple of things I will be looking for. 

Agree with you on WRs -- especially the 4 young guys: McBride, Peake, Hansen and Stewart.  Really hoppng Mcbride gets a chance to return punts.  I believe there were some tweets during the week that he was back there in practice.  Don't want a 30-year old Andre Roberts taking a roster sport.

How much of a difference at OL does Winters return make, will we actually be able to summon up some sort of running game.  Agree with you on Cannon and your post in the other thread -- is Cannon falling out of favor with coaches and could West, an experienced RB potentially steal his roster spot.

In addition to Jones, I think Nickerson is playing tonight.  Hope to see him flash -- it would be nice to know that we have a replacement for Skrine by the end of the season.

And I really love watching Nathan Shepherd.  Looks he could be a steal -- already playing with and against the 1s.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

They had Chubb as #2 on their board.  Plausible they moved down to #5 with DEN and then would have reasonably expected to get Chubb.  Regardless, it was a case of at least taking a shot.  I forget the year, but about 20 years ago or so, we traded down one pick (from 3 to 4 I believe) with the Cardinals.  They moved up to get Garrison Hearst.  We slid down and got Marvin Jones.  It's rare but it happens.

Happened last year also.  Bears jumped from 3 to 2 to take Trubisky.

Giants vs. Jets odds: 2018 NFL preseason Week 3 picks from proven expert on 4-0 run

The Giants and Jets meet Friday night at 7:30 p.m. ET in the battle for New York at MetLife Stadium. The Giants won by one in a 32-31 thriller last year on the strength of two interception returns for touchdowns. It's technically a Jets home game, and Gang Green is favored by 2.5. The Over-Under, or total number of points Vegas thinks will be scored, is 41.5. Bettors from around the world will be locking in wagers on this high-profile game, so before you make any Giants vs. Jets picks, you need to see what SportsLine's Mike Tierney has to say.

Tierney knows the NFL. A national sportswriter whose work appears in the New York Timesand Los Angeles Times, he has reported from seven Super Bowls. Tierney excels both against the spread and straight up, gaining valuable insight covering the NFL and other major sports up close that you can't find anywhere else. 

Tierney has been a winner for SportsLine members in every sport, but the NFL has proven to be his specialty. Last year, his expertise led to an astounding profit of more than $16,000 for $100 bettors who followed his plays. That record includes a perfect 4-0 mark in ATS picks involving the Giants. 

We can tell you Tierney likes the under for Friday's Giants-Jets showdown, but he has unearthed the critical x-factor that will determine which side of the spread hits hard. He's sharing his pick, and the key reason for it, only over at SportsLine.

Tierney knows the Jets' defense has allowed just 15 points in two preseason games, lowest in the NFL. Such defensive success would be a welcome change from last season, when the team finished 24th in overall defense and 22nd in points allowed.

But the team's big story in preseason has been at quarterback. Rookie Sam Darnold has vaulted up the depth chart and is expected to get big minutes Friday in a regular-season tryout. He's 21 of 29 for 158 yards, one touchdown and one interception in two games. 

Teddy Bridgewater, who has been the center of trade rumors the past week, has shown his mettle in preseason as well. He has gone 17 of 23 for 212 yards and two touchdowns. 

The Giants have gone 1-1 in the preseason led by reserve QB Davis Webb, who is 23-for-42 passing for 210 yards. Eli Manning is just 4-for-7 for 24 yards, but is expected to see significant action Friday. Manning had 121 yards and a pick last year in this game.

He may be without RB Saquon Barkley and WR Odell Beckham Jr. Barkley, the heralded first-round pick, was back at practice Thursday after battling a minor hamstring injury, but is unlikely to play Friday. Barkley has managed just four rushes so far, but Robert Martin has been a capable option, with 12 carries for 86 yards. 

Beckham is also questionable to suit up for the first time since breaking his left ankle on Oct. 8, but the Giants should get solid defensive play, as linebacker Landon Collins said many of the regulars will play three quarters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giants-vs-jets-odds-2018-nfl-preseason-week-3-picks-from-proven-expert-on-4-0-run/amp/

Archived