Could Todd Bowles be fired in season ?

Jetsplayer21

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the candidates were slim last off season, and the clowns were basically extended before Morton was fired.  

DeFelippo is now OC and doing well. He is as qualified as Nagy was.  Fire the clowns week 14 and hope the Vikings don’t last long in the playoffs. We need a DC. Maybe Greene can do it. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I think the candidates were slim last off season, and the clowns were basically extended before Morton was fired.  

DeFelippo is now OC and doing well. He is as qualified as Nagy was.  Fire the clowns week 14 and hope the Vikings don’t last long in the playoffs. We need a DC. Maybe Greene can do it. 

There’s always someone available.  The stupid losers who won the lucky sperm contest Woody and Chrissy were going to extend Bowles and Mac as long as we didn’t have the nfl’s Worst record

I just hope that the Johsnons are noting how Goff and Wentz have had success and realize that the hyper conservative defense and running focused philosophies of old are irrelevant in today's NFL. QB OL and playmakers are really all that matter in todays NFlL. Note playmakers include pass rushers.

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

IMO, this should have been done last January instead of the opposite stupid thing they did, extending him off of 2 5-11 hideous seasons. Now we waste another season with or without him, I mean where are we going by firing everyone mid season? And where are we going if we keep him until the end? As another poster put, firing him is important, but who replaces him is more important and you are not going to find anyone mid season. 

@Philc1 suggested the name Jack Del Rio two days ago, and I love that idea. He could step in mid season, fire Rodgers too and take over the D while evaluating the rest of the CS and players. I know guys are going to yell about another D minded HC, but him and his staff did a good job with Carr in Oakland. They were a hot team going into the playoffs in '16 when Carr got hurt and killed their chances. He got railroaded last year because Davis wanted Gruden so badly.

7 hours ago, Larz said:

If you want to hire a coach that will be in demand you have to prove that ownership will give its coaches time to get the right players and to install the system and won't bend to the fans and sports radio 

The billboard incident probably turned off a hundred coaches to ever coming here and I hope it never happens again 

Bowles has had time so now ownership needs to support him privately and publicly 

Chances are if the Jets are going for the hot assistant everybody else wants they will have to wait for the guy to lose in the playoffs 

So why fire him now? 

It just tells all the other coaches that nothing has changed around here and it's a dead end job for B level candidates 

Having Darnold as QB changes all of that. I'm sure more coaches would be in line as opposed to when we were trotting out Fitz or McCown

It’s much more likely that as Darnold progresses he winds up saving Bowles job than Bowles being outright fired in season.

while some may want it, it isn’t going to happen unless you see some additional catastrophic losses and culture breakdown. 

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's possible if we totally collapse and go 1-9 or something before the bye, but IMO, it's extremely unlikely. Also, it's sort of meaningless whether it gets done during the season or at the end of the season. 

That’s right eliminate all glitter of hope. Thank you very much. 

80CFF56A-048A-4F60-B69A-C64A60AD9E2A.gif

35 minutes ago, BigO said:

That’s right eliminate all glitter of hope. Thank you very much. 

80CFF56A-048A-4F60-B69A-C64A60AD9E2A.gif

Interesting.

Why does it matter to you whether we get rid of Bowles now or at the end of the season? Do you believe a viable long term replacement is already on the coaching staff? 

15 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

This question obviously needs to be asked along with the question who would be his replacement. The firing is actually not as important as the future after the firing. 

Good point. But when the Johnsons realize there is no way they will retain him for next yr and the whole world knows it, why torture the guy and the fans ? Giants did that, and just let one of their coordinators be a place holder.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's possible but extremely unlikely. The OP alluded to McAdoo last year -- for Bowles to be fired in season that's the kind of season we'd have to have. 2-10 with lifeless players who have clearly quit on him and a massive PR blunder (McAdoo benching Eli, that bizarre Idzik press conference, etc.)

Mara fired McAdoo to quell the massive fan uproar. The fans were calling for McAdoo’s head and Mara gave them their wish. If the Johnsons know they aren’t bringing Bowles back next yr,  we aren’t winning, and Bowles tries something like putting McCown in and we still don’t win, you don’t think the fans will be calling for Todd Bowles head ? 

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He will be the head football coach come game one next year no matter if we go 1-15.  Book it.   More than likely the team will cobble together 5 or 6 wins and win a few at the end of the year to show 'we are going in the right direction'. 

Not a chance in hell he is coming back anything short of five wins, maybe 4

15 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

This question obviously needs to be asked along with the question who would be his replacement. The firing is actually not as important as the future after the firing. 

Bates can play placeholder. Giants used their cord as 1 last yr. it would also signal to prospective HCs “ hey this HC job is going to be open Next yr. they will have a lot of extra time to think about it. I know OCs in playoffs cannot speak to other teams without permission, but firing Bowles in season would send a clear message to some OCs “ well here is one job I know I can apply for “ no way we are hiring another DC

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Mara fired McAdoo to quell the massive fan uproar. The fans were calling for McAdoo’s head and Mara gave them their wish. If the Johnsons know they aren’t bringing Bowles back next yr,  we aren’t winning, and Bowles tries something like putting McCown in and we still don’t win, you don’t think the fans will be calling for Todd Bowles head ? 

Well they're calling for his head now and he still has a job.

Frankly I see the Jets going 6-10 and firing him on black Monday. I think it would need to be more like 2-14 with lots of blowouts for that kind of result.

17 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well they're calling for his head now and he still has a job.

The fan grips are not even close to how bad it could get. We are only 1-2, not bad Start for the Mac/Bowles  Standard. I. Frankly don’t want Bowles to be fired mid season, because that would mean we would be enduring a horrendous season. 

34 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The fan grips are not even close to how bad it could get. We are only 1-2, not bad Start for the Mac/Bowles  Standard. I. Frankly don’t want Bowles to be fired mid season, because that would mean we would be enduring a horrendous season. 

A horrendous season is the only way we can get rid of bowles

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Interesting.

Why does it matter to you whether we get rid of Bowles now or at the end of the season? Do you believe a viable long term replacement is already on the coaching staff? 

Probably not but it sends a distinct message to everyone in the organization- shape up or be shipped out. What terrifies me is they’ll give Bowles a pass this year because of starting Darnold. Even if he is somewhat raw, Bowles is still responsible for making these games somewhat competitive. We’ve looked like the Bad News Bears version of football the last 3 weeks and the schedule is not getting easier. We could easily be looking at 1-8 before we meet a beatable opponent. 

Archived