Sam Darnold is growing up in front of our eyes.

hawk

3 hours ago, jack48 said:

Bad pass.  What kills me is I saw Mahomes thtow some sh*t last night but everyone kisses his ring. He is throwing to gazelles running free in the secondary.   It isn;t hard when you have talent everywhere you look.   And Brady---that fumble.  He did everything wrong:  held the ball too long, ran with it like a loaf of bread.  If Darnold had done that  folks would have been killing him for his rookie foolishness.  I have said all along I see dumb INTs from all kinds of QBs every week--even really good vets.  Sam has to stop throwing off that back foot.  Has to set quicker and step forward when he throws.  But he hs improved his ball security (fumbles) quickly, so I think this will be a piece of cake

Sam will always throw INTs because he is aggressive with the ball, but it should end up about 2 to 1 or better, which I can live with if he keeps converting third downs and throwing touchdowns.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, EM31 said:

A lot of them I talk to now seem to think Eli is done even if they did not think that before.  They also think that Barkley is a once in a generation talent and that a QB will be available to them where they are likely to pick next year or, that they can pick up a QB on the free agent market.

Maybe so maybe not.  Barkley is pretty good, but still.

Barkley is very good.  I would love to have him, don't get me wrong.  But I'm not sure he is a "once in a generation talent" as a lot of people are saying.  He gets big, spectacular plays, but most of his runs seem to be for less than three yards.  Then he breaks one every once in a while, which makes his stats look impressive.  My main criticism is that he doesn't play like a 235 lb back.  He plays more like a scat back.  I would love to have him on my team.  But there is no way that I would have drafted him over Darnold, especially if I had a 37 year-old QB coming off of a lousy year.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Eli didn't win 2 Super Bowls for them, he helped them win 2.  He never gets close w/o incredible defense doing all the heavy lifting.  Eli has been mostly bad post 2nd SB and that 2nd SB was 7 years ago.  The man has led NYG to missing the playoffs 7 of the last 9 seasons which is about to be 8 of the last 10 and when they last made the playoffs 2 years ago he led his offense(w/ the best weapon in the game to throw to) to just 17 PPG. 

The Giants made a major mistake passing on Sam believing Eli could still play when he hasn't played well in 6-7 years.  The Giants organization in recent years has been acting like the old Jets, allowing fans to dictate decision making.  They didn't buckle to fan pressure when Giant fans wanted Eli gone and Coughlin gone in 2007 and then they won a SB, they didn't buckle under the pressure when Giant fans wanted Eli & Coughlin gone after 2010 and they won in 2011.  They did buckle firing Coughlin after 2015 then firing the GM and HC last year while keeping Eli.  The problem w/ the giants post 2011 has been Eli Manning more than anyone else but after SB #2 Eli became a fan favorite no matter how bad he was and when they had the audacity to bench him for a Jets reject last year the social media mob attacked the giants and they wilted.  It also led them to the decisions they made this offseason.  Barkley is going to be a big time player but he's a RB, they had a chance to get a franchise QB and passed b/c of the social media mob.  I am thankful the giants started acting like the old Jets and I hope they keep it up.

I agree that the Giants made a mistake passing on a QB but Eli has been good for them for a long time. This board would pay for and erect a shrine in Darnold's honor if he somehow leads us to the promised land once let alone twice. 

5 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I agree that the Giants made a mistake passing on a QB but Eli has been good for them for a long time. This board would pay for and erect a shrine in Darnold's honor if he somehow leads us to the promised land once let alone twice. 

He didn't lead the Giants to those super bowls, he was their mark Sanchez.  He played well in postseason but they won because of incredible defense.  He's been a mostly mediocre QB his entire career with some great games here and there.  We'd all sign up for 2 SBs no matter what else happens but I expect Sam will be a lot better than Eli, I just hope our D can play like Eli's D's did in those postseason runs.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He didn't lead the Giants to those super bowls, he was their mark Sanchez.  He played well in postseason but they won because of incredible defense.  He's been a mostly mediocre QB his entire career with some great games here and there.  We'd all sign up for 2 SBs no matter what else happens but I expect Sam will be a lot better than Eli, I just hope our D can play like Eli's D's did in those postseason runs.

I think you are underestimating his career in general, sorry. He is no Mark Sanchez, please. The guy not only won 2 SB's, he won 2 SB MVP's. He's thrown for over 53,000 yards including 6 years with 4000+ yards, He's been good and clutch in post season when it counts the most. To call him mediocre is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Warching it live yesterday, I knew it was a good, tight window NFL throw -- just did not realize how good a throw it was.

Being a Jets fan has become fun again because of Sam. Getting to watch him play on Sundays is obviously the grand prize. But then throughout the week we get little snippets and articles and statlines like this, and it's just so much fun.

Great clip.

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I think you are underestimating his career in general, sorry. He is no Mark Sanchez, please. The guy not only won 2 SB's, he won 2 SB MVP's. He's thrown for over 53,000 yards including 6 years with 4000+ yards, He's been good and clutch in post season when it counts the most. To call him mediocre is ridiculous. 

He didn't deserve either SB MVP, he led his offense to 17 & 19 pts. The D held Brady and co. to 14 & 17.

He's thrown for a lot of meaningless yards in meaningless games in meaningless seasons. No QB has been better in garbage time. He's stayed healthy and thrown more than almost any QB in history.  He's mark Sanchez with more talent around him. If the Jets surrounded mark with as much talent he could have done the same.  

He's played 15 yrs or so and earned just 2 pro bowl trips, he's never made a single all pro team, he's been named NFC offensive player of the week just 4 times ( for comparison Ryan Fitzpatrick has won the conf player of the week award 7 times), he's gone and done 4 of his measly 6 playoff apps, he's never won a playoff game when his D allowed more than 20 pts in a playoff game.  He's been mostly mediocre despite what meaningless, compiled stats may say.

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

Eli Manning? What? The Giants were 0 for their last 15 on third down until garbage time on Thursday. 

That stat doesn't say they are getting first downs, he's checking down completing meaningless passes to pad stats.

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

By the way, in 12 postseason games Eli has led his offense to 18.4 PPG in regulation.

In 6 postseason games Mark led his Os to 20 PPG.

The lowest amount of points Mark led his Os to in postseason was 17, Eli led his offense to ZERO, 9 and 13 in 3 of his playoff games

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Just think when Sam is the same age as Mayfield and Mahomes he will be in year 3 of his career.  

..and then he will be a year from free agency. 

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i see the mayfield fans have crawled back under their decrepit bridges...

They'll be back.  He plays the three worst pass defenses in football the next three weeks. 

This chart is showing: when a QB passes on 3rd down, what percent of the time do they get a first down.

%First Downs, Pass on 3rd Down

Rank Name Team Stats
1 M. Ryan Atl 51.7 ( 30/58 )
2 P. Mahomes KC 48.9 ( 23/47 )
3 A. Luck Ind 48.7 ( 37/76 )
4 C. Beathard SF 47.6 ( 10/21 )
5 K. Cousins Min 46.3 ( 31/67 )
6 A. Dalton Cin 46.0 ( 23/50 )
7 M. Stafford Det 45.8 ( 22/48 )
8 M. Trubisky Chi 45.7 ( 16/35 )
9 C. Wentz Phi 43.9 ( 18/41 )
10 D. Carr Oak 43.8 ( 21/48 )
11 S. Darnold NYJ 43.4 ( 23/53 )
12 J. Goff LAR 43.2 ( 19/44 )
13 J. Flacco Bal 42.4 ( 28/66 )
14 B. Bortles Jax 42.2 ( 27/64 )
15 R. Fitzpatrick TB 41.9 ( 13/31 )
16 E. Manning NYG 40.7 ( 24/59 )
17 B. Mayfield Cle 40.4 ( 19/47 )
18t T. Brady NE 39.6 ( 19/48 )
18t A. Rodgers GB 39.6 ( 19/48 )
20 D. Brees NO 39.4 ( 13/33 )

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He didn't deserve either SB MVP, he led his offense to 17 & 19 pts. The D held Brady and co. to 14 & 17.

He's thrown for a lot of meaningless yards in meaningless games in meaningless seasons. No QB has been better in garbage time. He's stayed healthy and thrown more than almost any QB in history.  He's mark Sanchez with more talent around him. If the Jets surrounded mark with as much talent he could have done the same.  

He's played 15 yrs or so and earned just 2 pro bowl trips, he's never made a single all pro team, he's been named NFC offensive player of the week just 4 times ( for comparison Ryan Fitzpatrick has won the conf player of the week award 7 times), he's gone and done 4 of his measly 6 playoff apps, he's never won a playoff game when his D allowed more than 20 pts in a playoff game.  He's been mostly mediocre despite what meaningless, compiled stats may say.

I'm not a huge fan but you have to admit that he has come up big in some big games.  And I owe him a personal debt of gratitude for beating Brady twice when it counted most.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm not a huge fan but you have to admit that he has come up big in some big games.  And I owe him a personal debt of gratitude for beatin Brady twice when it counted most.

Eli was definetly a guy who played his best in those two superbowl runs, I have to give him credit. However when you look at the other years he was a little above average and some years below average. However at the end of he day he still beat Brady twice which hasnt been done

47 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm not a huge fan but you have to admit that he has come up big in some big games.  And I owe him a personal debt of gratitude for beating Brady twice when it counted most.

He played well in those two postseasons (just as Sanchez did in his to you for us) but they won because of great defense. Great defense allowed Eli and the O to win super bowls scoring 17 & 19 points.  That's 36 combined pts, last yr foles led Philly to 41 in one game and NE scored 33 while in the two games vs NYG combined they scored 31.

Eli deserves credit for helping them win but without incredible D he has no SB wins and no SB apps and should have been let go by the Giants at least 5 years ago

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He played well in those two postseasons (just as Sanchez did in his to you for us) but they won because of great defense. Great defense allowed Eli and the O to win super bowls scoring 17 & 19 points.  That's 36 combined pts, last yr foles led Philly to 41 in one game and NE scored 33 while in the two games vs NYG combined they scored 31.

Eli deserves credit for helping them win but without incredible D he has no SB wins and no SB apps and should have been let go by the Giants at least 5 years ago

Eli said you and Sanchez can kiss his super bowl rings, and you're welcome for beating the Pats twice. 

Respectfully, the Sanchez analogy doesn’t fit because he never even made it to a SB, let alone won two.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

21 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I know novel idea for some posters who act like the QB position is the only one that matters.   In their mind if the Jets win, Darnold played well, if they lose Darnold played badly. 

When you dont have a QB, it's the only thing that matters.  Now that the Jets have a QB, other things matter!  It's fun! 

58 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This is a Sam Darnold thread.

When Sam Darnold took that 3rd and impossible from the Jets 2 and threw that perfect deep seam route to Sam Darnold who proceed to juke 4 players out and take it to the house, it was cool.  I smiled.

And then when Sam Darnold handed off to Sam Darnold and he ran over like 3 guys and broke away in another gear for that 79 yard TD, it was neat.  I high fived myself. 

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

When Sam Darnold took that 3rd and impossible from the Jets 2 and threw that perfect deep seam route to Sam Darnold who proceed to juke 4 players out and take it to the house, it was cool.  I smiled.

And then when Sam Darnold handed off to Sam Darnold and he ran over like 3 guys and broke away in another gear for that 79 yard TD, it was neat.  I high fived myself. 

This is my dream. The salary cap ramifications alone.

Archived