This Jets/Vikings game is a MUST WIN. Here's why.

Villain The Foe

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

The Jets are 3-3 and is currently in 3rd place in the AFC East. 

Teams that go 4-3 have a 49% chance of making the playoffs. 

Teams that go 3-4 have a 17% chance of making the playoffs. 

The Vikings also need this game as they're in a 3-way tie for 1st place, but with tie breakers currently sit in the 3rd position of that tie. Minnesota losing this game would be absolutely devastating given those expectations and certainly what they did at the QB position. 

Tomorrow is a playoff game. The Jets cannot go 3-4 and feel like that 17% even applies to them when they also have the Patriots in their division. If we lose this game this season is most likely over, and before Halloween.

We must win this game. 

Can I get the % of teams that make the playoffs who lose to go 3-4, but then go on to win their next 7 games?  Or how low that 49% playoff chance becomes when the following week they lose, and go to 4-4?

Listen I get the analytics has a place, but calling this a playoff game/must win in week 7 is the worst thread you ever started, and trust me it’s difficult to top those Glennon, and Mayfield threads, but you out did your self here.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, given the fact that the Jets havent seen a playoff game in almost a decade, maybe I was getting a little too excited that the Jets were playing in a game that had some implications outside of next year's draft spot. WTF was I thinking though? 

I should carry on. 

Jets were 3-2 last year, and 3-3.  What’s different this year?

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont watch football expecting my team to not atleast make the playoffs. The win/loss record matters because you are what your record says you are. 

Does any Jets fan actually believe that they can win a Superbowl? Probably not, but we should atleast expect to make the playoffs. 

The only Jets fans not getting emotionally burned are fans who've been burned to the point that they watch a team with 0 expectations. What's the point of even watchng then?

Im not looking to watch Sam "Get Better". I dont just watch quarterback, I watch Football. If I wanted to watch quarterback I would have just been a Colts fan. 

Then your watching wrong, and that would make a lot of your posts make much more sense.

1 hour ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I root for the Jets to win every week.  I spend too much time and money on them to do otherwise.  

For me tomorrow’s big test is how do they handle success.  We have seen so many times the Bowles coached Jets get us pumped up and then throw up a dud.  Right now the Jets have gotten us excited the past two weeks.  Tomorrow is a big test can they handle that success or do they fall flat on their faces like they have done in the past.  

Fixed 

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Can I get the % of teams that make the playoffs who lose to go 3-4, but then go on to win their next 7 games?  Or how low that 49% playoff chance becomes when the following week they lose, and go to 4-4?

Listen I get the analytics has a place, but calling this a playoff game/must win in week 7 is the worst thread you ever started, and trust me it’s difficult to top those Glennon, and Mayfield threads, but you out did your self here.

Give the guy a break.  This isn't a bad thread for a night before the game thread.  :) 

If the Jets show up and Toilet and Co. don't coach scared like they did against Jacksonville, it should be a great game. I don't think, however, that there are any MUST WIN games this season. We still have a lot of rebuilding left to do and Darnold is still a rookie. 

My prediction this year, however, still stands: we go 9-7 and squeak in as a WC.

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

seriously - i could care less about playoffs this year.

(not to mention you'd be locking in Bowles for extension - who the eff wants that)

This year is about development and not making the same mistakes and building some momentum.

Well I do. Every year is about development. That isnt something you do separately from trying to win football games. And development for who....one guy? (Sam Darnold). You have 53 guys on this roster and I doubt they feel like "I couldnt care less about the playoffs this year for as long as Darnold develops". I doubt Chris Johnson feels that way when he stated that "Sam is going to transform this entire franchise".

But most of all, it was the fans that was willing to tank a season (if needed) to draft Sam because he's "That damn good". 

Im not saying that it's playoffs of bust, but that "I couldnt care less about the playoffs" position is a load of bull 

Also, using our feeling for Bowles to support that bull makes it even worse. You mean to tell me that every fan knew that we had issues at QB, I mean, our QB's were Fitz and McCown, and Bowles finally gets the "chosen one" and they make the playoffs and people are going to have a problem if he gets an extension? Look at this team right now. It would be absolute overachievement if this roster headed by a 21 year old rookie makes the playoffs. Im not saying that his extension would be guaranteed, but wasn't last year the year were it was just development and looking for guys who we could keep? 

Well we did that, it's time to move on from that. This is about not making the same mistakes and building on momentum right? Well, missing the playoffs and looking mediocre to below mediocre seems like that's what we've been doing. If we can start beating teams like the Vikings, that doesnt sound the same to me. Losing to that team during a point in the season like this doesnt seem like that would be building momentum or is good for development. 

Im not really following this logic

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Can I get the % of teams that make the playoffs who lose to go 3-4, but then go on to win their next 7 games?

I did already. It was 17%. 17% of teams that started the season 3-4 made the playoffs. That obviously includes teams that won their next 7 games. However, if you're trying to ask what is the percentage of teams going to the playoffs who have a 10-4 record, then I'll provide that if the Jets get to 10-4. 

Or how low that 49% playoff chance becomes when the following week they lose, and go to 4-4?

I'll provide that stat if we win this game then lose next week. However, generally your chances are lowered the more games you lose. I dont know why I even had to explain this fact, but given your line of questions, it seems like you dont understand the impact of wins and losses relative to playoff births or the percentages of trying to overcome a string of losses early in your season. Either you dont understand, or this response was less about you actually engaging the thread topic and you just wanting to talk about Mike Glennon and Baker Mayfield. Lets see how the rest of your quote goes.

Well, I'll be damned. How didnt I see THAT coming?!?! lol. What's funny, I think I've made about 2 Mayfield threads, maybe 3, and one was way back in 2016 and it was clips of his games when I first came across him. But lets not f'up your narrative. 

Anyway, my threads I tend to support with facts when I can. Some I get wrong, like Mike Glennon. Some I get correct like Alshon Jeffery to whomever WR we drafted over him...and Stephon Diggs, but like Mike Glennon or Baker Mayfield, those guys have nothing to do with this topic here...but I understand the need to force narrative here. I've heard it all before and will hear it again tomorrow. Being wrong doesnt bother me. With that said, given that you feel like I've out done myself here, maybe the next time I make a thread, I'll hear about the time I called a Jets week 7 match up a "playoff game" because Mike Glennon comments are stale, Baker Mayfield is having a pretty solid rookie season and the bottomline is that you folks really needed some new material so Im glad that I've provided that. 

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You do realize that after the whole MIke Glennon masturbation ordeal.. we take you a lot less seriously. ?

You do realize your ability to talk about Mike Glennon in every thread you quoted me in over the years, regardless of the content, makes me not take you seriously at all. ?

But I understand, you were his roommate. Today I rarely mention Glennon, though I never run away from the fact that I still think he's better than what's been displayed so far, yet with that fact, you seem to have your own ordeal with Glennon and Villain. Who's the one really masturbating over Mike, Southie? Example: 

Next week when you quote me in a completely unrelatable thread about Glennon, like you did here and as you did last week and the week before and the month before, is that not you masturbating? 

So, I guess I'll see you next week hairy hands. lol. Oh, and the next NC State alumni reunion you go to, please, tell your former roomie that im a huge fan! :-) 

12 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Explain to me again why the win-loss record of this season matters?

Does any Jets fan actually believe they can win a Super Bowl?  How many believe they can win the division without an injury to Brady?  

You guys are setting yourself up to get emotionally burned...

Just watch Sam get better and enjoy that... it's safer.

Agreed but the fact is that because of Darnold I'm actually excited to watch the Jets play on Sunday again is kind of good enough right now.

the last time i was actually excited to watch the Jets play on Sunday was when we thought Mark Sanchez might be good

You do realize your ability to talk about Mike Glennon in every thread you quoted me in over the years, regardless of the content, makes me not ever take you seriously at all. ?

But I understand, you were his roommate. Today I rarely mention Glennon, though I never run away from the fact that I still think he's better than what's been displayed so far, yet with that fact, you seem to have your own ordeal with Glennon and Villain. Who's the one really masturbating over Mike, Southie? Example: 

Next week when you quote me in a completely unrelatable thread about Glennon, like you did here and as you did last week and the week before and the month before, is that not you masturbating? 

So, I guess I'll see you next week hairy hands. lol. Oh, and the next NC State alumni reunion you go to, please, tell your former roomie that im a huge fan! :-) 

That’s actually pretty good.  all in good fun.  Be Kool and NC Dtate got exposed big time yesterday. 

12 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Tomorrow is a playoff game. 

It just sucks that we are going into this game without half of our starting defensive secondary. I hope that Middleton, Nickerson & Roberts play well. 

It would be nice to see Jamaal Adams have a big game too.

These are games you have to win. Also, did anyone see the video of Sam on the Jets Facebook mic’d up? Lots of good footage on there, but probably none better than when Sam says “guys, time to put them away. We’re going to get really good at doing this”

this kid is the real thing and the team is starting to rally cause they know it. 

Archived