Did this game change your opinion on Darnold?

Patriot Killa

Did your opinion change after today or even after the past few games?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I'm going to say is.....Sam was horrible, this had to be the worst performance for a multi-sport athlete like Sam in his entire life.  His sports career has been fully documented, and a thing of lore in his home town.  

We know what he did at USC in football, but nothing close to this bad.  The frustration that has never really surfaced in the worst of times, was on full display the last few games.  He's going to have to deal with his part in this debacle, he was largely responsible.

but how in the hell do you draft a QB at the top of the draft, and not build a competent team around him?  That special on the Jets 2018 draft specifically noted that the Jets waited till the 2018 draft to select a QB, since the 2017 class lacked a QB they had interest in.  They were looking and scouting QBs in the 2017 class.  Why did they not begin to revamp the offense then?

a center that can't even snap the ball?  No adjustment by putting Sam under center instead of shotgun?  I don't know, I'm just a clueless old woman, but every time a QB has to worry about bad snaps, protecting the ball, is seconds away from scanning the field and making his reads.  I would imagine even a vet would be frustrated.  The bad snaps have been for how many games now?

I'm frustrated too...and it's not just because Sam is my boy, I would be frustrated for any QB playing in that situation.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No.  Jesus Christ.  

Thank you!!

The ever resilient Jet fan show themselves after 9 games. 

Unfortunately Jets fans have reason to be disappointed but not in Darnold but rather in an organization that couldn't imagine getting quality skill players to surround the best QB they have had on the team in a generation...

Amazing!!

5 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

All I'm going to say is.....Sam was horrible, this had to be the worst performance for a multi-sport athlete like Sam in his entire life.  His sports career has been fully documented, and a thing of lore in his home town.  

We know what he did at USC in football, but nothing close to this bad.  The frustration that has never really surfaced in the worst of times, was on full display the last few games.  He's going to have to deal with his part in this debacle, he was largely responsible.

but how in the hell do you draft a QB at the top of the draft, and not build a competent team around him?  That special on the Jets 2018 draft specifically noted that the Jets waited till the 2018 draft to select a QB, since the 2017 class lacked a QB they had interest in.  They were looking and scouting QBs in the 2017 class.  Why did they not begin to revamp the offense then?

a center that can't even snap the ball?  No adjustment by putting Sam under center instead of shotgun?  I don't know, I'm just a clueless old woman, but every time a QB has to worry about bad snaps, protecting the ball, is seconds away from scanning the field and making his reads.  I would imagine even a vet would be frustrated.  The bad snaps have been for how many games now?

I'm frustrated too...and it's not just because Sam is my boy, I would be frustrated for any QB playing in that situation.

I've been screaming this for 2 years. I watched that Rose Bowl game, and said on this board, IF the Jets get an opportunity to draft this kid, do everything you can starting then to have a solid O Line and a decent receiver group to walk into. Instead, they took a DT and a SS with their next 2 first rounders....

#Fireeveryone

Oh, the saddest thing is that this isn't the first time the Jets have done this. Remember Ken O'Brien? He got picked in the first out of Cal-Davis and got destroyed behind a crap o line. At least he had legit, borderline HOF level talent around him with Wesley Walker and Al Toon....

I still believe in Darnold. He's been running for his life out there with not much time to make his reads. His center can't even snap the ball directly to him consistently. We've had s lot if injuries to our skill positional players. Play calling and game plans have been questionable. He'll learn from this and become a better quarterback for it. He is going to be a great one. Just needs some help and time to find his way in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, RSJ said:

He still made a couple of great throws today. I think they need a new coaching staff and I hope they get one before he gets ruined.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

And this is PRECISELY why I wanted Mayfield not because I thought Mayfield was better but because I truly was afraid of this organization ruining DARNOLD!!!

The way the situation with Long is being handled is beyond bizarre.  I'm not even blaming Long.  I've heard he's got either a dislocated, or broken finger.  The way he's snapping it might be both.

What ever it is, it is clearly preventing him from playing out of the gun.  He didn't play last week because of the injury.  Harrison didn't embarrass himself.  The first time there was a bad snap he should have been on the bench .  How do you let that go on?  It's been going on for weeks.

He was bad today. Really bad. You know because of the poise he has shown its easy to forget Sam is only 21. He has accomplished a lot and for a 21 yr old, playing with this cast of characters, that is nothing short of amazing. You have to take the good with the bad and today was Bad with a capital B. It won't always be this way and I think Sam would be the first to tell you how bad he stunk. That's why Sam will get better but he needs the guys around him to get better too. With all the injuries this team looks pathetic and Sam does too. No excuses and there will be mistakes but Sam is the guy. I know that as sure as I know my name.

13 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Maccagnan is the one word answer.....the longer answer is we are the Jets and it's what we've been doing for 50 years.

No, for several reasons.

He's surrounded by bad offensive players and poor coaching. He can't be held responsible for that. 

He's a young QB who had a lot of these same problems in college. It's going to take time to work that out. 

He's a rookie and lots of great QBs had terrible first years.

It was a bad game and sometimes good players have bad games.

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

No, for several reasons.

He's surrounded by bad offensive players and poor coaching. He can't be held responsible for that. 

He's a young QB who had a lot of these same problems in college. It's going to take time to work that out. 

He's a rookie and lots of great QBs had terrible first years.

It was a bad game and sometimes good players have bad games.

Yeah it’s sam’s fault every nfl caliber WR inthe roster is injured 

75% of the board has become helen of troy.

Anyone not expecting games like this didnt pay attention to Darnold's play last year.

A kid with three years starting experiance who turned the ball over > 1.5x a game in the PAC10 was never going to be instantly good at this level, surrounding him with bottom 1/2 talent and poor coaching just compounds the problem.

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

The kid was terrible today. That’s what happen. I want him to play better but he is digressing. Terribly mishandled by the front office. 

Darnold stinks right now, but he was always going to stink this year. What we should be happy about is hes flashed competancy at times unlike Josh Allen

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Darnold stinks right now, but he was always going to stink this year. What we should be happy about is hes flashed competancy at times unlike Josh Allen

I don’t disagree but I can’t help but think his parents feel like the parents who sent there kids to summer camp at Camp Crystal Lake. “Ooooo it look so pretty in the brochure!”

The idea that any big body can play in the o-line is false.  Have to blame the GM for not getting quality o-line people.  The group of receivers as a whole scare no one.  The NFL is a throwing league which requires the o-line keep the QB vertical and WRs that get separation.

16 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Nah, he's a rookie gunslinger who doesn't quite know what he's going yet. 

I think he's going to be an awesome QB in a few years. 

Agree, but did you read Manish's column this morning. Sounds like yesterday was a bad day for Sam.

Archived