Interesting HC/Front Office Rumor

KRL

As others have said, it’s now obvious that all the crap about big-game hunting was just a way to get the dumbest and loudest elements of the fanbase excited that the franchise is Really Taking This Seriously, and thus insulate them from criticism when they hire Todd Monken or whoever the ****.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

McVay, Kyle, and Lynn were all under Shanahan at one point but Shanahan is highly regarded within the NFL, BB has a ton of respect for his family which is why Jimmy G went to the 49ers. Bringing in Shanahan would give our franchise legitimacy for the first time since Tuna was here.

Lynn barely coached with him. Lynn is on Rex's coaching tree.

Mcvay coached a while with him and he deserves some credit but also mcvay came from a coaching family.  

For a guy that coached as long as mike did this isn't much if a tree.

Parcells turned around 2 franchises, won super bowls with 2 different QBs, made a third with another QB.  He had a much greater track record than Mike who has one career playoff win without elway/TD.  

Look at Mike's work with young QBs like griese, Plummer, rg III, Cutler.  We want that around Sam?

I'm just not a Shanahan guy. He helped get Denver over the hump but did so with an all time great QB and an all time great RB (when RBs were more valuable).

Shanahan is nothing like Parcells.

Let's not confuse ineptitude with cheapness.  The Johnsons are not the Wilpons.  They will spend and they won't crawl under a rock and mutter "Bernie Madoff".  Their issue is simply they haven't shown any competence when it comes to running a football team... 

50 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Lynn barely coached with him. Lynn is on Rex's coaching tree.

Mcvay coached a while with him and he deserves some credit but also mcvay came from a coaching family.  

For a guy that coached as long as mike did this isn't much if a tree.

Parcells turned around 2 franchises, won super bowls with 2 different QBs, made a third with another QB.  He had a much greater track record than Mike who has one career playoff win without elway/TD.  

Look at Mike's work with young QBs like griese, Plummer, rg III, Cutler.  We want that around Sam?

I'm just not a Shanahan guy. He helped get Denver over the hump but did so with an all time great QB and an all time great RB (when RBs were more valuable).

Shanahan is nothing like Parcells.

I never implied that Shanahan was like Parcells, merely that he has the influence to attract coaches where a hot coordinator likely won't have those connections. 

37 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Let's not confuse ineptitude with cheapness.  The Johnsons are not the Wilpons.  They will spend and they won't crawl under a rock and mutter "Bernie Madoff".  Their issue is simply they haven't shown any competence when it comes to running a football team... 

You are 100% correct. Since the Wilpons have owned or co owned the Mets, they have been to three World Series and won one of them. I wish the Johnsons were the Wilpons.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:02 PM, KRL said:

Could Shanahan come in as President of Football Operations pick
the HC and be over him and Maccagnan?

Chad Forbes‏ @NFLDraftBites 4h4 hours ago

#Jets Status Mike Maccagnan irrelevant. Next Coach will have power in organization. Jets want to go 'Big Game' Hunting.

Mike Shanahan is clearly very interested in the position. For the "Mike Shanahan is too old crowd".... Born less than 2

months prior to Bruce Arians.

If Shannahan wants a job here, it's not as Head Coach.

He'll want Pres. of Football Ops (i.e. over Macc) and his chosen Head Coach would be...his own son.

Decide for yourself if that appeals to you.

Shanahan makes no sense to me. Too old for a team trying to establish chemistry long term with a young QB. They need to think about the future and potentially staying 10 years with this team - best case scenario and unlikely, but that’s what we should shoot for. New uni’s and a vintage coach - no way.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:25 AM, JiF said:

Apples to Oranges, my man.  Not even remotely a close comparison.

Pete Carrolll was in the NFL for 20 years and had 2 Head Coaching gigs before going to USC.  He made the playoffs, twice, in New England before heading to USC.  When he fled USC to escape all the sanctions that were coming his way for all the cheating he did and went to Seattle, he was still in his late 50's.  Pete had clearly demonstrated he had the chops to be an NFL coach. 

Nick Saban has spent 4 seasons in the NFL, 3 as a DC and 1 1/2 as a Head Coach when he lied and quit on his team mid season.  He was a failure at both stops.  He refers to his time under Bill Belichik in Cleveland as the DC as "worst year of his life".  lmfao.  He's pushing 70, he's stubborn, he's a dictator and he hated the NFL life.  I honeslty think its a huge stretch to think he'd adapt to the NFL.  Tigers dont change their stripes. 

Pointless conversation anyway, Saban isnt leaving Bama till he retires.  

Plus, there isn't a team in the NFL that has the talent, top to bottom, that he has every year at Alabama.

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Shanahan makes no sense to me. Too old for a team trying to establish chemistry long term with a young QB. They need to think about the future and potentially staying 10 years with this team - best case scenario and unlikely, but that’s what we should shoot for. New uni’s and a vintage coach - no way.

I don’t get this “too old” argument.

Guys like Belichick, Carroll, Saban, etc are all the same age as Shanahan or older.

Hell, everyone always loves to toss Bruce Arians’ name around and he’s 2 months older than Shanny.

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I never implied that Shanahan was like Parcells, merely that he has the influence to attract coaches where a hot coordinator likely won't have those connections. 

I get your point and I respect your opinion, I just disagree.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:25 AM, JiF said:

Apples to Oranges, my man.  Not even remotely a close comparison.

Pete Carrolll was in the NFL for 20 years and had 2 Head Coaching gigs before going to USC.  He made the playoffs, twice, in New England before heading to USC.  When he fled USC to escape all the sanctions that were coming his way for all the cheating he did and went to Seattle, he was still in his late 50's.  Pete had clearly demonstrated he had the chops to be an NFL coach. 

Nick Saban has spent 4 seasons in the NFL, 3 as a DC and 1 1/2 as a Head Coach when he lied and quit on his team mid season.  He was a failure at both stops.  He refers to his time under Bill Belichik in Cleveland as the DC as "worst year of his life".  lmfao.  He's pushing 70, he's stubborn, he's a dictator and he hated the NFL life.  I honeslty think its a huge stretch to think he'd adapt to the NFL.  Tigers dont change their stripes. 

Pointless conversation anyway, Saban isnt leaving Bama till he retires.  

Carroll inherited a young team that was just in the super bowl.  Many of the players he had would be a part of the brady dynasty.

I have no doubt saban would have succeeded if he stayed in Miami and I have no doubt he'll succeed if he goes to the NFL but I don't think he'll leave college again

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If Shannahan wants a job here, it's not as Head Coach.

He'll want Pres. of Football Ops (i.e. over Macc) and his chosen Head Coach would be...his own son.

Decide for yourself if that appeals to you.

Does he have another son?  You think SF is going to let him out of his contract? You think he wants to leave SF?

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Carroll inherited a young team that was just in the super bowl.  Many of the players he had would be a part of the brady dynasty.

I have no doubt saban would have succeeded if he stayed in Miami and I have no doubt he'll succeed if he goes to the NFL but I don't think he'll leave college again

A lot was made at the time down here how much his wife hated Miami and wanted out even more than Nick. No way would he or she sign up for an NFL lifestyle and never in the NY/NJ market.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

As others have said, it’s now obvious that all the crap about big-game hunting was just a way to get the dumbest and loudest elements of the fanbase excited that the franchise is Really Taking This Seriously, and thus insulate them from criticism when they hire Todd Monken or whoever the ****.

Well I am WAY more in favor of hiring a Todd Monken or whoever the ****, since I think all the retreads would be awful hires.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Wasn't that just Manish who was saying that? Maybe we fell for Manish's tease announcements with little sources again.

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Does he have another son?  You think SF is going to let him out of his contract? You think he wants to leave SF?

If it meant working for his Dad, yeah, I doi.  San Fran is no beauty queen.  With that said, it's hard to get out of a contract, so the Son move wouldn't be immediate I presume.

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Find it irritating to no end that this dolt Mehta who pretended Bowles was a good coach for 4 years still appears to have the ear of the Johnsons. 

Seems like the Jets floated this "big game hunting" stuff out early to make it seem they were serious about spending on a coach. 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If it meant working for his Dad, yeah, I doi.  San Fran is no beauty queen.  With that said, it's hard to get out of a contract, so the Son move wouldn't be immediate I presume.

If Shanny took over as VP, I think he’d tab someone like Kubiak or LaFleur to be HC.

Kubiak is supposedly very interested in getting back into coaching. They were talking about the Falcons potentially interviewing him for their OC position yesterday on NFL Network.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

huh?  Are you referring to the Matt Hasselbeck, Sean Alexander and Darrell Jackson Super Bowl year in 2006?  That was recent and young in your estimation? 

I don’t think Saban would be successful in the NFL because he can’t control everything the way he can in college.  Apparently he feels the exact same way, so...

On 12/18/2018 at 4:24 PM, KRL said:

Forgot about him, he would be interesting if this plan happened

You want to put a guy with known heart problems as a coach of the Jets - can I sign up as his benificiary for life insurance policy because that would be a death knell. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I get your point and I respect your opinion, I just disagree.

The Special Teams coach is already here, if Richards is hired as HC, why couldn't he try to put Monken at OC & Greg Williams at DC?

I understand there are 8 head coaching vacancies but not all are really pleasing. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

He has a contract which has four more years on it.  SF is in great shape when they are healthy.  I don't he'd have the desire to move and unless SF didn't like him (I can't imagine that's the case) it would be impossible to get him out of last 4 years of a deal

1 hour ago, JiF said:

huh?  Are you referring to the Matt Hasselbeck, Sean Alexander and Darrell Jackson Super Bowl year in 2006?  That was recent and young in your estimation? 

I don’t think Saban would be successful in the NFL because he can’t control everything the way he can in college.  Apparently he feels the exact same way, so...

I'm referring to the limited success he had in NE. NE made the SB in 1996, he took over in 1997.  He did a poor job in NE.  They got worse every year under him.

Saban has enough NFL experience to understand what he needs to do and he won 9 games with a terrible Miami team his first year.  I don't expect him back but if tried it again I think he'd succeed.

Archived