Interesting HC/Front Office Rumor

KRL

51 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Pro's & college... 2 Totally different animals... saban has Proved he blows at the former.

Over a decade ago - he's since won a crap load of football games in the NCAA including 5 National championships. People grow and learn from there mistakes. If anyone has earned a second chance at the NFL it's Saban. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KRL said:

Could Shanahan come in as President of Football Operations pick
the HC and be over him and Maccagnan?

Chad Forbes‏ @NFLDraftBites 4h4 hours ago

#Jets Status Mike Maccagnan irrelevant. Next Coach will have power in organization. Jets want to go 'Big Game' Hunting.

Mike Shanahan is clearly very interested in the position. For the "Mike Shanahan is too old crowd".... Born less than 2

months prior to Bruce Arians.

This statement scares the pee pee out of me: Next Coach will have power in organization. If true, the Johnsons never learn and will continue their search for the next Parcells among the DC ranks.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Urban Meyer was an innovative college coach -- twenty years ago. 

He runs the same dual threat running QB system he back then and has become stale -- he's continued to succeed because he's an ace recruiter.

He is in no way, shape or form an NFL coach.

I dislike Urban as a person but he's still a tremendous coach.

I can't take credit for this line (a friend of mine said it) but what big game has Saban won when he's had less talent?  Meanwhile Urban won the national championship with his 3rd string QB against Bama a few years ago.

What people are forgetting or never realized is that RGIII + Agent went to Snyder in the offseason after his rookie year ended in injury. They told HIM “No more RPO offense for him. He’s your franchise player and will keep getting hurt.” Snyder agreed.

Snyder told Shanahan “no more RPO. Make RGIII a pocket passer to keep him healthy.”

Shanahan disagreed and probably said “no.”

Snyder: “Why not?” 

Shanahan: “Because you need to be smart to be a pocket passer...read defenses, adjust line blocking assignments, audibles for routes.”

Snyder: “Huh?!” (Scratches head)

Shanahan: (rubs temples vigorously... Picks up a pea and a baseball) “Baseball is smart quarterback brain. Pea is Robert’s brain. There’s only one way for Robert to be successful, and that’s RPO.”

Snyder: “I have no idea what you’re saying. All I know is that if I see him run...you’re fired. If you keep him in the pocket and we lose...”

Shanahan: “It means I’m right?! And wr can trade RGIII to some team with a pea brain, like that one in NY with John Idzik as the GM for a boatlod of picks?! And I can start Kirk Couins?!”

Synder: “No...you’re fired then too.”

42 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Oh come on? Everyone gives a sh*t right now, any idiot that watched last Saturday's game saw a f*cking 21 year old QB facing a a team that had won 9 out of 10 games, has JJ Watt, Jadaveon Clowney, Mercillus, and the best WR currently in football taken to the 5 minute mark of the 4th quarter. Stop being an idiot, everyone knows this kid Darnold is special, that brings out out interest from anyone who has an interest in continuing their coaching career in the NFL! It's no f*cking different than a coach being offered the LSU job or Louisiana Tech. 

How the f*ck are Jet fans still skeptical? Darnolds a f*cking dream QB scenario! The Jaguars got Tom Coughlin with Blake Bortles! Because of Maccs move to 3 Jets are top 2 destination. Browns...Jets...that's it. 32 teams...Jets are at the top. Believe it, it's true. Stop being buzz kills, it's ok to be optimistic. How many fans have come on this site & exclaimed ITS ALL ABOUT THE QB? Well, the QB is here for a coach with BRASS BALLS! 

I don’t care who the next coaches as long as Bowels is gone. 

7 hours ago, KRL said:

#Jets Status Mike Maccagnan irrelevant. Next Coach will have power in organization. Jets want to go 'Big Game' Hunting.

Mike Shanahan is clearly very interested in the position. For the "Mike Shanahan is too old crowd".... Born less than 2

wow. that would be he news if he is even legit interested. he’s like the offensive VP football ops version of Bill Cowher. Would take Shanny and run with that shizzle all day

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

HC Mike Shanahan 

OC Matt LaFleur

DC Mike Nolan/Gregg Williams

ST Brant Boyer

I’d sign up for that all f*cking day. And a guy like Bell could put up 2500 yards from scrimmage in Shanny’s offense.

Bell would be the favorite to lead the league in rushing and scrimmage yards in Shanny’s zone blocking scheme 

19 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If they really wanted to go big game hunting they'd dangle a blank check under Sabans nose with control over personnel. 

why?  little nicky didn't fair too well when he was in the pros with the browns and doltfins.  besides, alabama is paying that guy more than he would be making in the pros.

21 hours ago, slats said:

Read this yesterday: 

Report: John Elway considered firing Vance Joseph, hiring Mike Shanahan

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 17, 2018, 10:08 AM EST
GettyImages-472235034-e1545059287332.jpg
Getty Images

The Broncos are out of the playoffs for the second consecutive year, and head coach Vance Joseph is on the hot seat. And now a very surprising name has been floated as a potential replacement: Mike Shanahan.

Shanahan, of course, won two Super Bowls with the Broncos, when Broncos General Manager John Elway was his quarterback. And Elway reportedly considered firing Joseph after last season, and hiring Shanahan to replace him.

Longtime Denver sports columnist Woody Paige reported that Elway and Shanahan met a year ago to discuss the possibility of Shanahan returning to the sideline. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported that he heard the same.

Standing in the way was Broncos CEO Joe Ellis, who said if Elway was going to move on from Joseph, he needed to conduct a full coaching search, and not just hand the job to Shanahan. (Elway would have to interview a minority before hiring Shanahan to comply with the Rooney Rule.) Elway eventually came around to giving Joseph a second year in Denver.

But now that Joseph’s second year has ended out of the playoffs, the Broncos may be ready for a new head coach. Could Shanahan be the guy? It’s entirely possible. The 66-year-old Shanahan has said he would like to coach again, if he finds the right situation.

Elway is likely to begin conducting another coaching search in two weeks. Shanahan may be on his list of candidates.

Maybe Shanahan would prefer the Jets for Darnold, control, and built-in lower expectations? 

Darnold likely makes this a more appealing destination than Denver. If I'm a coach I'm going somewhere with a FQB  in place or young guy that looks the part.

I think it's clear football bros love Darnold which should give us a leg up

19 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Woody and Chris want to go big game hunting now, until they realize that the bait for big game is big money. 

Not holding my breath for anything other than the latest hot coordinator candidate.

I'm with ya. I get tired of all the speculation and nothing rarely comes of it.

17 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Shannahan is more than a HC because he will be bringing an organizational infrastructure which is just as crucial as being the HC.  

Indeed the last 4 HCs the Jets hired really couldn't command the respect of the league to guarantee top quality assistants across the board. Rex and now Bowles had folks that might not be on any other staff in their current designated positions and that is really really telling......

Shanny please... please....please...

I have no love for Rex and am very, very glad that he is long gone, but if there's one thing that you actually can't criticize him for, is his ability to bring in assistants.  If you look back at his 2009 staff, there are a lot of guys who have gone on to some pretty successful careers.  Just look at the rundown of some of these guys and what they've done since then:

Anthony Lynn - Current Chargers head coach, and they're having a hell of a season.  We'd all kill for him right now.

Bill Callahan - Got another run as OC in Dallas and while back down to OL coach again, has always been highly regarded in that role.

Schotty - I hated the guy, but he's currently on his third OC gig in the NFL (Jet, Rams, and now Seattle).  And as much as it pains me to say it, seems to be doing a solid enough job this year from the games I've seen.

Matt Cavanaugh - Current OC in Washington, which seemed to be going well enough before he got Sanchized.

John DeFilippo - Who even remembered he was on that staff?  He's certainly come a long way since his days as Jets Assistant QB coach (even despite his recent firing)

Mike Pettine - Onto his third job as DC after getting his first crack at it with the Jets.  We'll actually be seeing him this Sunday.

Bob Sutton - While likely on his way out, had a pretty good run for a while as KC DC (which he's been for 6 years now)

Mike Westhoff - I mean... duh

There are actually a few more that have continued career growth since then, but these are the guys who have had long term success in the NFL since then.  Quite frankly, a very real argument could be made that one of Rex's biggest benefits of his first 2 years here was thanks to the assembling of a pretty strong coaching staff.

20 hours ago, KRL said:

nope..

?

18 hours ago, Untouchable said:

HC Mike Shanahan 

OC Matt LaFleur

DC Mike Nolan/Gregg Williams

ST Brant Boyer

I’d sign up for that all f*cking day. And a guy like Bell could put up 2500 yards from scrimmage in Shanny’s offense.

Without John Elway, Shanahan has been a pile of dog sh*t.  Thinking back to his masterful job of coaching the Redskins makes me misty eyed.  Yes, that's exactly what the Jets need.

19 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Once again...

- Offensive guru
- Super Bowl pedigree
- Plenty of front office experience 
- Knows how to assemble a FANTASTIC offensive staff
- Changed his entire offense to suit gimmicky RGIII, who had the most efficient season by a rookie QB in history
- Drafted a legit franchise QB in the 4th round (Cousins)
- Runs an incredibly balanced offensive system
- Doesn’t take sh*t from anyone 
- Is one of the most connected guys in league history
- Produces 1,000 yard rushers like it’s no sweat off his balls
- Darnold would be virtually guaranteed to develop into a Top 10 QB

That was one element in his system that amazed me. Plug in any guy and he is elevated to STUD RB.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

why?  little nicky didn't fair too well when he was in the pros with the browns and doltfins.  besides, alabama is paying that guy more than he would be making in the pros.

I've already addressed this - Saban wasn't a HC at Clevand either.

Since Shanahan started his disastrous stint in Washington (24-40 over 4 years, 0-1 in playoffs), Saban has won 4 NCAA championships. Maybe taking 5 years off has recharged the batter for Shanahan but I worry the game has passed him by. He was great with the Broncos in the 90's and early 2000's.

35 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have no love for Rex and am very, very glad that he is long gone, but if there's one thing that you actually can't criticize him for, is his ability to bring in assistants.  If you look back at his 2009 staff, there are a lot of guys who have gone on to some pretty successful careers.  Just look at the rundown of some of these guys and what they've done since then:

Anthony Lynn - Current Chargers head coach, and they're having a hell of a season.  We'd all kill for him right now.

Speaking of Lynn: 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25560711/how-anthony-lynn-molded-chargers-case-coach-year

This article brings up some solid points on what we should be looking for in our next HC. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Since Shanahan started his disastrous stint in Washington (24-40 over 4 years, 0-1 in playoffs), Saban has won 4 NCAA championships. Maybe taking 5 years off has recharged the batter for Shanahan but I worry the game has passed him by. He was great with the Broncos in the 90's and early 2000's.

saban is where he is because that's where he wants to be.  i don't think his way of coaching plays well at the pro level.  many coaches are like this.  as for shanahan, he had help in washington because snyder was the owner.  and i don't think people want him to coach but be the team's head honcho.  it might be a good fit, of course he also may just want a cush job with a good pay check (like phil jackson did with the knicks).

22 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Given the amount of talent he managed to gather in Washington DC before Snyder pulled a Snyder and ran him out because he likes to have the biggest d*ck in the room, I'd be more than thrilled with Shannahan.  I also have zero doubts that he would have Sam reach his full potential. 

However, I'd put the chances of this happening at about zero.

I too like to have the biggest dick in the room.

I spend a lot of time alone. Wonder if that's a coincidence.

Somewhat related, how big is Shanahan's dick? Asking for a friend.

22 hours ago, Jetster said:

If the Johnsons keep Macc it's because he's convinced them that what Bowles told him was needed on this defense limited what he was able to do with the offense. 

Its always easy after the fact to go back to these 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders & pull the successes out like Galloday, but every other team missed on him too, only one was right (Lions). 

Its not going out on a limb that Bowles wanted back to back safeties, or told Macc, "I need to fix the backend of this defense 1st". Everyone has seen the videos in the draft room of Bowles toothy grin after all of these defensive picks. 

Otherwise, it the decisions were all Macc, there is no way they would keep him around with an entire new regime brought in here. Also, with him landing Darnold you'd have to be a fool going forward without switching gears & surrounding him with better players. It's obvious Sam is the most important player on the Jets & its imperative resources get poured into offense so he can be successful. 

I'm pretty sure even these owner would know what Bowls told Mac. Especially since they are in the draft room when it's going down.

1 minute ago, jayrad01 said:

I'm pretty sure even these owner would know what Bowls told Mac. Especially since they are in the draft room when it's going down.

The drafts & free agency have been heavily weighted to defense. If the GM & Coach are on even footing, which we all know to be true under this stupid set up here, this seems to me like a Bill Parcells quote, "If they want me to make the dinner, they might as well let me pick out the groceries". 

22 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Given the amount of talent he managed to gather in Washington DC before Snyder pulled a Snyder and ran him out because he likes to have the biggest d*ck in the room, I'd be more than thrilled with Shannahan.  I also have zero doubts that he would have Sam reach his full potential. 

However, I'd put the chances of this happening at about zero.

I agree totally. If Shanahan and Elway have truly buried the hatchet then there is no way he comes to New York.

But if something along these lines is being formulated then the guy I hope they can buy is Bill Cowher. He is already in New York and would bring Parcellsian like respect back to the organization on name recognition alone. It will be painful to the Johnsons to pay him but an exodus of fans in protest of this garbage product they have given us will surely be more painful.

Sorry to be long winded but i posted that potentially Mike Evans could be had in trade ( new regime might not want that new giant contract and the Jets can absorb it) sign Lev Bell and draft Jonah Williams/ Greg Little. With Cowher and a well executed offensive overhaul the future could be sparkling.

But this is the Jets were talking about here.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Nick Saban is almost 70 himself and basically runs the power I exclusively, unless his QB cant throw, then he'll add some RPO elements.

He wins because he has the most talent on the field not because he's innovative.  

23 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Woody and Chris want to go big game hunting now, until they realize that the bait for big game is big money. 

Not holding my breath for anything other than the latest hot coordinator candidate.

Bit has documented it here often; Johnsons don't like spending big money on front office and coaching personnel. Not something they have ever done. So not sure if this is big talk or the usual MO of hiring some career assistant as HC. But if I were betting, it's mostly big talk.

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Bill Callahan - Got another run as OC in Dallas and while back down to OL coach again, has always been highly regarded in that role.

Schotty - I hated the guy, but he's currently on his third OC gig in the NFL (Jet, Rams, and now Seattle).  And as much as it pains me to say it, seems to be doing a solid enough job this year from the games I've seen.

Matt Cavanaugh - Current OC in Washington, which seemed to be going well enough before he got Sanchized.

John DeFilippo - Who even remembered he was on that staff?  He's certainly come a long way since his days as Jets Assistant QB coach (even despite his recent firing)

Mike Pettine - Onto his third job as DC after getting his first crack at it with the Jets.  We'll actually be seeing him this Sunday.

Bob Sutton - While likely on his way out, had a pretty good run for a while as KC DC (which he's been for 6 years now)

Mike Westhoff - I mean... duh

There are actually a few more that have continued career growth since then, but these are the guys who have had long term success in the NFL since then.  Quite frankly, a very real argument could be made that one of Rex's biggest benefits of his first 2 years here was thanks to the assembling of a pretty strong coaching staff.

Westhoff and Sutton were here since Parcells. But you left out Jeff Weeks, Ryan's drinking buddy who was a total zero who bitched about using computers, something Pop Warner teams do for going on 2 decades. Yeah, may be not. 

38 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

I agree totally. If Shanahan and Elway have truly buried the hatchet then there is no way he comes to New York.

But if something along these lines is being formulated then the guy I hope they can buy is Bill Cowher. He is already in New York and would bring Parcellsian like respect back to the organization on name recognition alone. It will be painful to the Johnsons to pay him but an exodus of fans in protest of this garbage product they have given us will surely be more painful.

Sorry to be long winded but i posted that potentially Mike Evans could be had in trade ( new regime might not want that new giant contract and the Jets can absorb it) sign Lev Bell and draft Jonah Williams/ Greg Little. With Cowher and a well executed offensive overhaul the future could be sparkling.

But this is the Jets were talking about here.

You think this is long-winded?  Oh man, you really are new here.  Yours is short and to the point by many of our standards.

15 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Westhoff and Sutton were here since Parcells. But you left out Jeff Weeks, Ryan's drinking buddy who was a total zero who bitched about using computers, something Pop Warner teams do for going on 2 decades. Yeah, may be not. 

Yeah, you clearly missed the point here.  Westhoff was actually hired by Herm, but regardless, that still doesn't change they were very good assistants for the Jets, including their time under Rex.  Either one could have left when he came to town, particularly Sutton who actually accepted a demotion in order to stay here.  Weeks is irrelevant, as the point was never that Rex didn't make a single bad hire, because that's clearly not true.  Rather, the idea that no quality assistant would ever agree to coach under Rex, as was being claimed, is patently false.

This isn't even a defense of Rex, because as I said, I'm very happy he's long gone, but some of the revisionist history that goes on around here just to fit a particular narrative (in this case, the dislike of Rex) can get a bit ridiculous.

Archived