Report: Jets Land Gregg Williams as Defensive Coordinator

JetNation

Gregg-Williams.jpg

After much speculation regarding whether or not Adam Gase would be adding defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to his coaching staff, it looks like we finally have an answer.

NFL insider Adam Schefter reporting that the Jets and Williams are putting the final touches on a 3-year deal could shake things up along the Jets sideline.  Williams’ approach is the polar opposite of what players have grown accustomed to over the past few years as the always laid back tandem Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers have been running things on the defensive side of the ball for the past four years.

With the addition of Williams, it could mean some significant changes for some big names on the Jets roster.  Players such as Leonard Williams and Darron Lee could see new roles on defense while cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who had his best years under Williams with the Rams, will likely welcome the change.

In the meantime, 3-4 outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins, coming off of a career year in which he racked up seven sacks, could find himself being expendable along with soon-to-be free agent defensive lineman Henry Anderson who his a better fit in a 3-4 scheme and may not return.

The post Report: Jets Land Gregg Williams as Defensive Coordinator appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
XA6qrD-mT3c

Click here to read the full story...

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Has the guy signed yet. I keep reading about final touches. They have been touching this for an entire day. 

Right? I have not seen anything official yet. I wonder what the hold up is, and only a 3 year deal? I haven't seen or been able to find the terms to Gase's deal either.

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Has the guy signed yet. I keep reading about final touches. They have been touching this for an entire day. 

I know right?  It's like last week with Gase.  Wednesday night it's "reported" he's our coach.  Next day, radio, papers, etc all talking like he is our coach, meanwhile PC was not till Monday.  geez.

If you look at back pages of both the News and Post, and they both are saying he "is" the DC.  imagine if something happens and they can't agree on a contract and it falls through?  Still waiting to get that ping on my phone from my Jets app announcing it.  Amazing how they can send out like 20 notifications a day throughout the season:  "ST coach PC on the app RIGHT NOW!" etc, but we have to wait days for Gase and Williams?  WTF?

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It's a shame that we won't recoup a compensatory pick for Anderson. I would guess a 5th or 6th for him. Considering the amount of FA we will be signing.... no chance to see that pick.

We will sign far more than we lose. So Jets will be getting no comp picks in 2020.

Gase and Williams are 2 intense, fired up displinary no nonsense coaches. There will be no BS or mediocre players playing on the Jets team with these 2 guys. Players will either give 110% at all times or they will be riding the pine or off the team. 

Just what the Dr. ordered.

This is a huge improvement and way different approach than the Bowels days....

However, after reading the fins board, they seem to concur that Gase is not quite a disciplinarian. He rarely ever yells at a player that messed up (parcells) and rarely screams at officials to get his way. So take it with a grain of salt.

still, anything is better than that upright corpse we just dumped. Its been like weekend at Bernies for the past 4 years

3 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

If you look at back pages of both the News and Post, and they both are saying he "is" the DC.  imagine if something happens and they can't agree on a contract and it falls through? 

I see what you mean. I really want him. Hope it happens.

070A36F4-DED6-473F-84E7-22050FADE9FE.jpeg

83B7BBF5-B893-4499-AE87-ACC0E329A9BD.jpeg

Archived