How does the NFL deal with that no call?

Prestige Worldwide

4 hours ago, MaxAF said:

While I agree completely with your point, penalties are not reviewable and if they become reviewable where do you draw the line. Like I was saying you can watch replays and see helmet to helmet calls that were missed, holding calls and PI calls that are missed continuously. The refs get flag happy and I for one complain to keep your flags in your pocket and let the game play out. There’s 2 extremes with penalties in this league and I don’t know where the happy medium is. It’s always been part of the game and I don’t see any easy answers to fixing it. It just happens, refs make mistakes and sometimes it cost the other teams a game. If you allow a penalty to be reviewed and changed, you would have to do that for every flag and then for times they don’t throw a flag. No way to consistently police it.

I recall there was a time in one of our games where several minutes ticked by as they reviewed whether or not we had 12 men on the field. So irrelevant to the outcome of the game, yet the Saints call is game changing and nothing gets done.

Very difficult to adjudicate for all situations, as you say. Not all PI calls are game changing, it's situation dependent - which is all down to judgement. Imagine trying to write a clear definition of "game changing situation".

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Love them to explain this:

To be honest this is the first time I've seen this, and while 15 yards is harsh there is definitely an infraction that caused the errant throw. Thing is, do we want to have two different penalties for very similar offences, a 5 yd and a 15 yd variety? 

If that was Sam getting hit like that (esp. by a Patsie defender) I'd be screaming for a flag. There was a game last year where he did get a knock to the helmet just after he threw the ball, nothing was said and I was livid.

45 minutes ago, jamesr said:

To be honest this is the first time I've seen this, and while 15 yards is harsh there is definitely an infraction that caused the errant throw. Thing is, do we want to have two different penalties for very similar offences, a 5 yd and a 15 yd variety? 

If that was Sam getting hit like that (esp. by a Patsie defender) I'd be screaming for a flag. There was a game last year where he did get a knock to the helmet just after he threw the ball, nothing was said and I was livid.

I didn't see any blow to the head, a blow to the chest, yes.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Brady's story started with an upset win against the Rams. Now, the Rams have a chance to end his story.

I know, but the vast majority of viewers aren't going to care a lick about that -- it was nearly 20 years ago. Two high-octane offenses led by young QB's on the rise would be more compelling. The Pats are frankly a stale old routine all ready. Seeing them again will not generate more interest. 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

I’ve been quoted a bunch of times, and I think I’m the only guy here who’s pulling the I see why they didn’t call it line. Let me be honest it was a penalty. The guy didn’t turn his head around and made contact, so of course it was a penalty. What I am saying though is, I don’t think I would’ve called either. The DB had the right to be where he was, that wasn’t the problem, and that call would’ve decided the game. I don’t want to see any championship games decided by a PI call. 

it wasnt just "contact" he drilled him well before the ball got there without any clue where the ball was....

52 minutes ago, tuffhand said:

I didn't see any blow to the head, a blow to the chest, yes.

The view I saw, the hand hits the face mask, Brady reacts & closes his eyes as he is throwing. Contact was made, but tough to call it a "blow to the head".

I do wonder if a 5 yd face mask is the more appropriate call there, but that's probably not an allowable call; with the QB's head it's probably 15 yards or nothing.

5 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

At least it wasn't so obvious as the non call PI.

Wow didn’t see that. Perhaps it was viewed as a hit to the helmet. Pats got called with alot of penalties yesterday though so things kind of even out. 

14 minutes ago, jamesr said:

The view I saw, the hand hits the face mask, Brady reacts & closes his eyes as he is throwing. Contact was made, but tough to call it a "blow to the head".

I do wonder if a 5 yd face mask is the more appropriate call there, but that's probably not an allowable call; with the QB's head it's probably 15 yards or nothing.

No his hand passes over the front of his mask. Call was made from behind Brady so there’s no way they could have seen if the DE’s hand hit Brady’s mask anyway. It’s clear as day on the replay. Of course, if you breathe on Brady you’re going to get called for roughing the passer. 

13 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

At least the saints got the ball first in OT.  And their D couldn’t stop the rams when it mattered. They had multiple chances to win.  The chiefs - they lost b/c of a coin flip.  

I still feel that in the post-season you need to somehow "raise the stakes" in overtime, so the game is decided on the field, not on a coin-flip. Both sides 1 possession minimum, guaranteed - no ifs & buts.

In tennis, the 5th set never goes to a tie-break, it's played till one player wins by a clear margin. Do the same.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I still feel that in the post-season you need to somehow "raise the stakes" in overtime, so the game is decided on the field, not on a coin-flip. Both sides 1 possession minimum, guaranteed - no ifs & buts.

In tennis, the 5th set never goes to a tie-break, it's played till one player wins by a clear margin. Do the same.

They’ve already changed the OT rules radically once 15 years ago  If the chiefs D cannot keep Brady out of the end zone on one drive they do not deserve the SB they were ranked 31st for a reason

14 hours ago, jamesr said:

It’s garbage.  How the f is the player supposed to keep his arm clear of a face mask while trying to sack the qb and getting blocked by a 350lb Offensive Lineman

The intent of the rule was to stop Ndamakung Suh from kicking Ryan Fitzpatrick in the head while he’s on the ground.  Now the refs are using it to extend Brady’s drives 

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/01/21/monday-hot-clicks-rams-saints-pass-interference-rule-17

“The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game,” Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1 states. 

Article 3 of the same rule gives the commissioner the authority to reverse the result of the game and order it be played again “either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

21 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Why? Rams-Chiefs is better storyline and I think many fans are frankly tired of the Pats being there. Not just Jets fans. Pats are a seriously disliked team outside NE.

Outside of the NE area ( Albany NY as well since it's only 3 hrs. away) I don't know anyone who will be rooting for the Pats in the SB. People are getting sick of them. 

32 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/01/21/monday-hot-clicks-rams-saints-pass-interference-rule-17

“The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game,” Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1 states. 

Article 3 of the same rule gives the commissioner the authority to reverse the result of the game and order it be played again “either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

Sadly D*ckless Goodell will not do anything. The official silence from the NFL on this whole matter amazes me. They just hope it all goes away.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know if it would be a good idea to actually have them replay from before the non-call but I hope they at least considered it.

I don't think they considered diddly squat. They , IMHO, just want to stick their heads in the sand till it all blows over. It will be interesting to see if they fine the Saints owner for her remarks.

Thru all this I'd love to hear the refs explanation of why he didn't call it. He was in perfect position to see it.

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

I don't think they considered diddly squat. They , IMHO, just want to stick their heads in the sand till it all blows over. It will be interesting to see if they fine the Saints owner for her remarks.

Thru all this I'd love to hear the refs explanation of why he didn't call it. He was in perfect position to see it.

The should fine that gold digger and use the money to buy tissues for all the Saints fans and players who are still crying about a blown PI. 

22 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Why? Rams-Chiefs is better storyline and I think many fans are frankly tired of the Pats being there. Not just Jets fans. Pats are a seriously disliked team outside NE.

50 million patriots haters will be tuning in to hope he loses

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Really? I would be complaining for the rest of my life if the Jets got screwed like that.

Yes, I'd be upset over the call, but like McVay said, football is an imperfect game. I'd be mad at Brees for choking in OT after winning the coin toss. I'd be mad at my defense for allowing the opposing team to drive the field in 82 seconds to get a game tying field goal. I'd be mad at my coach for not trying to drain the clock once we get in field goal range and forcing the Rams to burn all their timeouts. Calls go your way and don't go your way. That's the way it is in sports man. The truth is the Saints were not the better team that day. If they were, they wouldn't have lossed after a blown call. The Rams didn't get the face mask call and still won. Their defense is why they won the game. The Saints kicked field goals instead of scoring touchdowns early on in that game. Credit the Rams defensively and credit the Rams on offense for making key plays to score late to tie the game, and then win it. I'm glad the Saints aren't going to the Super Bowl, because I know Brady would have beat the Saints. The Rams present a bigger obstacle to the Patriots winning another Super Bowl. 

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yes, I'd be upset over the call, but like McVay said, football is an imperfect game. I'd be mad at Brees for choking in OT after winning the coin toss. I'd be mad at my defense for allowing the opposing team to drive the field in 82 seconds to get a game tying field goal. I'd be mad at my coach for not trying to drain the clock once we get in field goal range and forcing the Rams to burn all their timeouts. Calls go your way and don't go your way. That's the way it is in sports man. The truth is the Saints were not the better team that day. If they were, they wouldn't have lossed after a blown call. The Rams didn't get the face mask call and still won. Their defense is why they won the game. The Saints kicked field goals instead of scoring touchdowns early on in that game. Credit the Rams defensively and credit the Rams on offense for making key plays to score late to tie the game, and then win it. I'm glad the Saints aren't going to the Super Bowl, because I know Brady would have beat the Saints. The Rams present a bigger obstacle to the Patriots winning another Super Bowl. 

I mostly agree but the timing and situation of that call were such that it was essestially game over, Saints win if they call it. 3 runs to force the timeout, milk the clock, kick the FG.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1087740133644869632

BREAKING: Attorney Frank D'Amico says he has filed a civil suit in New Orleans on behalf of Saints season ticket holders to make the right call and bring both teams back to replay the end of the game. First reported by @TraversWDSU More to come...

35 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mostly agree but the timing and situation of that call were such that it was essestially game over, Saints win if they call it. 3 runs to force the timeout, milk the clock, kick the FG.

Flip the script. The Jets won that way. How would you feel? The bottom line, you don't cry about calls you did or didn't get. Those most outraged wanted the Saints to win is all. They're mad. They want to take their ball and go home. lmao

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There were a couple of missed face mask calls that went the saints way. It was an awful call at an awful time. Nothing you can do. Just be happy it wasn't a call that cost the Jets a chance at a super bowl.

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Flip the script. The Jets won that way. How would you feel? The bottom line, you don't cry about calls you did or didn't get. Those most outraged wanted the Saints to win is all. They're mad. They want to take their ball and go home. lmao

I can already hear the haters calling the championship invalid if we won that way.

19 hours ago, jamesr said:

Oh well if Brady closed his eyes it really had to be a penalty. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1087740133644869632

BREAKING: Attorney Frank D'Amico says he has filed a civil suit in New Orleans on behalf of Saints season ticket holders to make the right call and bring both teams back to replay the end of the game. First reported by @TraversWDSU More to come...

Good pr for lawyer 

57 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Most of us pretend it didn't happen and that Vinny Testaverde's knee didn't hit the ground well before the endzone.  We act like or lord and savior Bill Parcells actually orchestrated the greatest season in Jets history before choking against the Broncos even though Testicles actually ran for 3 yards on 4th and 5 down 5 points with 30 seconds left against the Seahawks.  That loss may have cost us our bye and home field against the Jags, but I'm not completely sure.  GO TEAM!

Archived