How does the NFL deal with that no call?

Prestige Worldwide

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I firmly believe that was a makeup for allowing the pats* to video tape the rams walkthrough before the super bowl. 

Please tell me you're joking. That's straight up delusional if you think the NFL would do anything like that on purpose to hurt the integrity of their product. All it was is a horrible call, and it will result in a rule change.

11 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

he made two rotten passes in a row at the end of regulation.  And another in OT.  The floater to Ginn should have been defended or picked.  Defender did an awful job once ball was in the air.  And the PI--which was a PI--was a pick 6 in the making for any DB smart enough to look.  I was not impressed with Brees.  Glad he did not advance.  I want someone to beat NE

I think the camera angles made the call worse that it really was. If you look carefully the DB hits the WR when the ball is basically at the WR. It wasn't really a late hit. The ball was in front of the receiver so the sideline angle makes it look like the hit was way early - it really wasn't. 

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I didn’t see the play, but I wanted the Rams to win, so it was probably a decent no call

I thought Brees was meh.  throwing a bunch of outs to Kamara covered by a LB is not going to beat NE.  Glad Rams won.  Wish someone played defense in the 4th quarter.

The league has to let teams challenge NON calls such as the late one against Lewis.  Cannot let the refs under any circumstances decide which team goes to the Super Bowl because of a wrong call.  And if the league doesn't want to give the power to the coaches to flag these situations, they should have someone on call for each game and call down to the field IMMEDIATELY when a blatant call is missed so they can reverse it on the spot. 

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Except that in real time it was a bang bang play, and it happened where the DB had the right to be. The ball was underthrown, and while it should’ve been called in a perfect world because he didn’t turn his head around and he made contact but, the receiver had to come back into the area where the DB had a right to be which is why they didn’t call it. Not great, but I don’t want to decide at a tire NFC championship game on that play which is what it would have done 

Under thrown? Looked like it would have been exactly where it needed to be if the receiver could have kept running. The ball landed past them.  Also defender never looked back, but maybe that rule changed? Hard to keep up.

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yes i know. God, i'm not saying it was a good no call or that it wasn't a PI... LIVE when it happened, it didn't look as gratuitous as the replay showed -- but more importantly the DB had right to be where he was, the receiver would needed to fight through the defender, AND calling that would have decided the game. Brees need to throw that higher and on the back shoulder

I don't see your point.  I thought it was completely obvious when it happened while watching it on TV (regular speed, no replay).  On the replay I saw the helmet-to-helmet as well.  I understand it would have been a critical call in a conference championship game but it would have absolutely been the correct call and it should have been made.

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The league has to let teams challenge NON calls such as the late one against Lewis.  Cannot let the refs under any circumstances decide which team goes to the Super Bowl because of a wrong call.  And if the league doesn't want to give the power to the coaches to flag these situations, they should have someone on call for each game and call down to the field IMMEDIATELY when a blatant call is missed so they can reverse it on the spot. 

I wouldn't have an issue if the league was allowed to use replay to fix obvious mistakes like this one even if there was no rule saying "challengeable".  In fact, that's exactly what it is supposed to be there for (e.g. Vinny falling 1 yard short against Seattle).  

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

There’s zero reason why a TV official can’t stop the game to review an obvious mistake especially one that changes the game. They already review every score. 

If you look hard enough you can call a penalty on just about every play. The O-line holds almost every play. The D-backs have contact with receivers on almost every play. If the NFL starts to overturn plays due to penalties the games will be 5 hours long and a coach will be throwing the red flag endlessly. Refs are going to make mistakes. It’s part of the game. How about the Roughing the passer call on Brady when the D- lineman never touched his head. It’s just not practical and if you overturn one penalty you’ll have to overturn them all

16 hours ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Every ref on the crew needs to be fired or fined. It was so obvious, the damage control will be interesting. 

The no-call is less of a problem going forward than the roughing the passer call on Chris Jones.

The no-call was a mistake. The roughing call is how the NFL wants refs handling this.

16 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

If you look hard enough you can call a penalty on just about every play. The O-line holds almost every play. The D-backs have contact with receivers on almost every play. If the NFL starts to overturn plays due to penalties the games will be 5 hours long and a coach will be throwing the red flag endlessly. Refs are going to make mistakes. It’s part of the game. How about the Roughing the passer call on Brady when the D- lineman never touched his head. It’s just not practical and if you overturn one penalty you’ll have to overturn them all

The coach has only two times he can use it and the call on roughing Brady should of been overturned. It takes away doubt and corruption and makes it a fair game. 

both games had horrible game changing calls.  the saints game was the worst because if they call the penalty, the saints win, hands down.  in the patsie game they called that ticky tacky encroachment call on ford and it had absolute zero impact on the ensuing play (brady int).  that would've ended the game for the patsies.  obviously ford is pretty stupid for lining up a couple of inches over the line but still,  it's ticky tacky.  to their credit they did get the edleman call right.  the little punk should've muffed the punt but he didn't even though he did try to catch the ball.

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The coach has only two times he can use it and the call on roughing Brady should of been overturned. It takes away doubt and corruption and makes it a fair game. 

yep, that wasn't roughing by any stretch of the rule.  the dlineman was going for the ball and he didn'tcome anywhere near tommy boy's head.

46 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

While I agree completely with your point, penalties are not reviewable and if they become reviewable where do you draw the line. Like I was saying you can watch replays and see helmet to helmet calls that were missed, holding calls and PI calls that are missed continuously. The refs get flag happy and I for one complain to keep your flags in your pocket and let the game play out. There’s 2 extremes with penalties in this league and I don’t know where the happy medium is. It’s always been part of the game and I don’t see any easy answers to fixing it. It just happens, refs make mistakes and sometimes it cost the other teams a game. If you allow a penalty to be reviewed and changed, you would have to do that for every flag and then for times they don’t throw a flag. No way to consistently police it.

24 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

While I agree completely with your point, penalties are not reviewable and if they become reviewable where do you draw the line. Like I was saying you can watch replays and see helmet to helmet calls that were missed, holding calls and PI calls that are missed continuously. The refs get flag happy and I for one complain to keep your flags in your pocket and let the game play out. There’s 2 extremes with penalties in this league and I don’t know where the happy medium is. It’s always been part of the game and I don’t see any easy answers to fixing it. It just happens, refs make mistakes and sometimes it cost the other teams a game. If you allow a penalty to be reviewed and changed, you would have to do that for every flag and then for times they don’t throw a flag. No way to consistently police it.

TDs, turnovers, ball placement, PI, possession. Not holding and stuff like that. They already review most of them. Let the guys upstairs tell them to stop and look at an obvious mistake. You don’t need to review everything the guys upstairs are watching the game just like us. They can easily see something that’s blatantly wrong and tell them. The coaches only have two challenges so they’re not going to waste them. 

Does anyone notice that every season there is some type of controversy with the refs and the rules. Every season is the same nothing gets fixed maybe the rules get fixed but the referees are still messing up. I don't see the league stepping in suspending referees like they do with players. I feel the same rules should apply to the referees when they mess up.

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yes i know. God, i'm not saying it was a good no call or that it wasn't a PI... LIVE when it happened, it didn't look as gratuitous as the replay showed -- but more importantly the DB had right to be where he was, the receiver would needed to fight through the defender, AND calling that would have decided the game. Brees need to throw that higher and on the back shoulder

Defender didn’t play the ball, didn’t turn around, he just got beat, panicked and blew up the WR.  It’s as textbook as it comes. 

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

There needs to be greater tech integration into the game. Bottom line. These calls are either so ticky tack or totally goofed it’s ridiculous. Football has too big of a field with too many moving pieces, and too many rules to rely on human perception and judgement.

Put sensors in balls, helmets, on and above the field to triangulate position. Easy. Done.

Have an AI redundant system backup the on field system to “automatically and continually review” the game (not just the calls) to determine violations. This can be done at computational abilities now in milliseconds.

reduce the team reward / punishment system for irrelevant to the game infractions that always winds up damaging the game quality itself and move to a more individualized system of punishment:

have players personally docked for certain penalties. A point system, financial penalties, and dock the coach simultaneously. Have thresholds and cut offs. Punish players financially for serious repeated violations; Take a player off the field for crossing a severe threshold, whether suspension or ejection or a penalty box type thing. 

Penalties like helmet to helmet tackles shouldn’t punish the team, they should punish the player. 

Team penalties should only be levied if the infraction gave a team a competitive advantage, like offsides, DPI, holding, etc.

I’ve been quoted a bunch of times, and I think I’m the only guy here who’s pulling the I see why they didn’t call it line. Let me be honest it was a penalty. The guy didn’t turn his head around and made contact, so of course it was a penalty. What I am saying though is, I don’t think I would’ve called either. The DB had the right to be where he was, that wasn’t the problem, and that call would’ve decided the game. I don’t want to see any championship games decided by a PI call. 

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

I think the camera angles made the call worse that it really was. If you look carefully the DB hits the WR when the ball is basically at the WR. It wasn't really a late hit. The ball was in front of the receiver so the sideline angle makes it look like the hit was way early - it really wasn't. 

The hit was way early.  ridiculous non call.  Look at it again.  You know its embarrassing when the league calls the coach in the locker room to apologize

24 minutes ago, Vader said:

Defender didn’t play the ball, didn’t turn around, he just got beat, panicked and blew up the WR.  It’s as textbook as it comes. 

There needs to be greater tech integration into the game. Bottom line. These calls are either so ticky tack or totally goofed it’s ridiculous. Football has too big of a field with too many moving pieces, and too many rules to rely on human perception and judgement.

Put sensors in balls, helmets, on and above the field to triangulate position. Easy. Done.

Have an AI redundant system backup the on field system to “automatically and continually review” the game (not just the calls) to determine violations. This can be done at computational abilities now in milliseconds.

reduce the team reward / punishment system for irrelevant to the game infractions that always winds up damaging the game quality itself and move to a more individualized system of punishment:

have players personally docked for certain penalties. A point system, financial penalties, and dock the coach simultaneously. Have thresholds and cut offs. Punish players financially for serious repeated violations; Take a player off the field for crossing a severe threshold, whether suspension or ejection or a penalty box type thing. 

Penalties like helmet to helmet tackles shouldn’t punish the team, they should punish the player. 

Team penalties should only be levied if the infraction gave a team a competitive advantage, like offsides, DPI, holding, etc.

I think you covered everything. That’s definitely the solution. ?

18 hours ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Every ref on the crew needs to be fired or fined. It was so obvious, the damage control will be interesting. 

The problem is that these guys refused to apply the unwritten rule that if their mistake is really obvious on the big replay board, you huddle up, one guy says he had a better look and it was PI, and you call the penalty. This is not rocket science.

And for that matter, I don't no what the difference is between the official seeing it on the filed during the play as compared to on the big screen replay. It is my belief that most of the officials don't believe there is a difference and use the big screen when they know they got an important play wrong.

29 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Why? Rams-Chiefs is better storyline and I think many fans are frankly tired of the Pats being there. Not just Jets fans. Pats are a seriously disliked team outside NE.

Brady's story started with an upset win against the Rams. Now, the Rams have a chance to end his story.

6 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Makes you wonder who had stakes in the game.......

I think the refs only make like 80-100k. Heck they can make more than that on a Vegas bet in one game. People are people. Some are just opportunistic than others. ?

Archived