Why did bill leave the jets

BornJetsFan1983

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Because he was going to end up working for Woody Johnson or James Dolan and he knew better. End of story.

this. he lived through the browns moving while he was the HC.....and he knew Dolan was a very real bidder on the jets. see ya.....

Leon Hess was a WW2 veteran who rose to the rank of Major while serving under George Patton. After helping save Europe from fascism, he rescued his father's bankrupt oil company and built it into one of the world's largest, most successful oil producers.

While certainly not a great football owner, the guy was a self-made man through and through who demanded the respect of anyone who was lucky enough to stumble into the same room as him. While success escaped him for much of his tenure as the NY Jets owner, there was never much doubt that he wanted to win at all costs, and it was clear that he would do whatever was necessary to make that happen.

Robert Kraft, much like Leon Hess, certainly benefited from family ties, but made his fortune by building and selling company after company before eventually finding his way into football. There was never any doubt in Belichick's mind, based on Kraft's previous track-record of successful business dealings, that Kraft would be 100% committed to success. The idea of working for a guy, like Kraft, who has put in untold time, energy, and effort, is always preferable than working for a guy who inherited his fortune simply because he had a father who wasn't smart enough, or disciplined enough, to pull out in time. 

The fact is that Bill Belichick was never going to work for either bumbling idiot that was James Dolan or Woody Johnson. He wanted to work for an owner who was hell-bent on success, and not someone who was just interested in a billion-dollar hobby that would gain him access to some new billionaire friends.

The last 20 years of watching Jets football and Knicks basketball proves yet again that Bill Belichick is smarter than all of us.

Just now, Greensleeves said:

You could argue that Parcells cost us the greatest regular season QB of all time (Manning) and the greatest coach of all time - and never got us to a SB. Did more harm than good, IMO.

For all the great things he did in turning the franchise around he cost us either Manning or Brady and belichick.  The pats dynasty should be ours assuming BB has the same staff in place and they select Brady.

Here is my understanding of what went down. While parcells was still head coach the Patriots had sent a fax to the Jets to request to interview belichick for the Patriots head coach job. Parcells hid this fact from belichick, haphazardly resigned and put the succession plan in place naming belichick head coach. Belichick became angry when he discovered that parcells hid the Patriots fax from him and had issues with regard to the uncertainty of the Jets ownership. He put these two things together and decided he did not want to be HC of the NYJ, scrawled it on a napkin and the rest is history.

53 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Leon Hess was a WW2 veteran who rose to the rank of Major while serving under George Patton. After helping save Europe from fascism, he rescued his father's bankrupt oil company and built it into one of the world's largest, most successful oil producers.

While certainly not a great football owner, the guy was a self-made man through and through who demanded the respect of anyone who was lucky enough to stumble into the same room as him. While success escaped him for much of his tenure as the NY Jets owner, there was never much doubt that he wanted to win at all costs, and it was clear that he would do whatever was necessary to make that happen.

Robert Kraft, much like Leon Hess, certainly benefited from family ties, but made his fortune by building and selling company after company before eventually finding his way into football. There was never any doubt in Belichick's mind, based on Kraft's previous track-record of successful business dealings, that Kraft would be 100% committed to success. The idea of working for a guy, like Kraft, who has put in untold time, energy, and effort, is always preferable than working for a guy who inherited his fortune simply because he had a father who wasn't smart enough, or disciplined enough, to pull out in time. 

The fact is that Bill Belichick was never going to work for either bumbling idiot that was James Dolan or Woody Johnson. He wanted to work for an owner who was hell-bent on success, and not someone who was just interested in a billion-dollar hobby that would gain him access to some new billionaire friends.

The last 20 years of watching Jets football and Knicks basketball proves yet again that Bill Belichick is smarter than all of us.

This is the single greatest answer I have ever heard with regards to this topic....as if it came straight from BB being completely honest about the situation rather than what we have been fed...the politically correct answer.

I think the Bill Parcels angle does hold some weight, but the owner situation was the overriding reason.

The timing could not have been any more SOJ.  If Leon lived on for a few more years, Jets history is completely different. 

8 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

Did anyone (at the time, circa 1997-99) think much of Bill Belichick?  I for one, didn't think that highly of him.  He had some success in Cleveland but overall, outside of maybe Kraft, Hess and Parcells, who knew the guy was a football genius?

No, Belichick was considered a “retread” 

Funny how getting the GOAT Qb fall in your lap can change the world’s perception of you

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He made some comment where he was talking about Parcells and called us "another organization" and anyway it occurs to me I don't really know why Bill left us inside 24 hours...

Is there a thread on it in the forums or anyone that can break down the reasoning? Did someone sleep with his wife of something? 

I've always thought it was because the deal he would be getting with the Patriots was like ten times as rich with much more control.  

belichick_napkin_sm_010418_1280x720_1129

On-this-day-in-New-York-Jets-history-Bil

bill-300x300.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

maxresdefault.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I've always thought it was because the deal he would be getting with the Patriots was like ten times as rich with much more control.  

belichick_napkin_sm_010418_1280x720_1129

On-this-day-in-New-York-Jets-history-Bil

bill-300x300.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

maxresdefault.jpg

I was around when it happened.  I remember local sports radio guys saying we dodged a bulletin and that Al Groh was such a better coach and they were proven right until a guy named Brady played

I’ve never quit a job with a napkin but I did once send a boss I had an email and all it said was I quit

11 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

does it matter at this point?

No, not at all.  The only reason I think it keeps coming up is because he is the HC of a team that seems to go to the SB every year and has gone to 8 AFC championship games in a row.  Jets fans know that he should've been our head coach with Peyton Manning as our QB.

Meanwhile our clueless moron owner hired loser after loser.

The Jets knew that Kraft was hot for BB. Parcells resigned as head coach and according to contract automatically  made BB the HC of the NY Jets. BB knew Kraft wanted him and like others said  did not want to be under Parcells shadow anymore and wanted the Patriots job so he quit. Transitioning ownership did not help.

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He made some comment where he was talking about Parcells and called us "another organization" and anyway it occurs to me I don't really know why Bill left us inside 24 hours...

Is there a thread on it in the forums or anyone that can break down the reasoning? Did someone sleep with his wife of something? 

I remember asking this some time back and also doing research on it.  I can't remember if I read this or someone commented it but it seemed more related to uncertainties with ownership.  He didn't like either of the prospective guys who were buying the team (Dolan or Woody).  I wonder if he also learned from "big Bill" (though obviously BB will be looked at as "Big Bill" when it's all said and done) that if his job was on the line that he'd better do things his way (as BP did his 2nd year with the Giants after the disastrous 3-12-1 first season where he was almost fired).  He probably trusted his gut instinct to go back to Kraft and the Pats.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Bill Parcells.  Parcells and BBs relationship was strained at the time.  BP wouldn't let BB know he was stepping down, thus making BB HC, and BB didn't want to wait around so he made his deal with Kraft.  If BP doesn't play games then BB stays and the dynasty is ours if he drafted Brady while he's fired within 3 years if he doesn't draft Brady.

I do think we would've ended up drafting Brady and the dynasty would've been our dynasty but I think BB would've been fine even without Brady.  I still think we'd have won a Superbowl under BB, even without Brady.

1 hour ago, afjetsfan said:

Did anyone (at the time, circa 1997-99) think much of Bill Belichick?  I for one, didn't think that highly of him.  He had some success in Cleveland but overall, outside of maybe Kraft, Hess and Parcells, who knew the guy was a football genius?

He was well thought of as a defensive "mind" and coordinator, but considered a "retread" as a coach.  @Philc1  is right.

1 hour ago, afjetsfan said:

I remember being very worried at the time he left that he'd be a very good HC.  I remember feeling a little better when someone on a Jet forum commented that we were lucky to be rid of him because he seemed so nervous at his intro press conference with the Pats.  Of course this is the Jets though so it ended up being the worst move in this (and possibly any) NFL franchise's history. 

51 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Who cares what all you people speculate? Is that what this site has come down to,,like the old saying,,everybody has an opinion......

These aren't just opinions or speculation though.  These are fan compilations of what was communicated over the years through the media and interviews with BB and BP.  The rub has always been to try and piece together the truth from the chaff.  I think some of the knowledgable fans on this forum have actually correctly pieced together the puzzle of information and deduced what is probably the most accurate set of reasons BB left.  BB will tell you it was the uncertainty of the ownership and that is partly true, but there is more that happened behind the scenes and outside the media's attention that has alluded us for years. BB won't publicly say that Woody Johnson is an idiot and that he would never want to work for him.  But that is true, he just won't and really can't publically say it.  Either way, I think we have finally figured it out and can put this to rest...at least I can. 

22 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

These aren't just opinions or speculation though.  These are fan compilations of what was communicated over the years through the media and interviews with BB and BP.  The rub has always been to try and piece together the truth from the chaff.  I think some of the knowledgable fans on this forum have actually correctly pieced together the puzzle of information and deduced what is probably the most accurate set of reasons BB left.  BB will tell you it was the uncertainty of the ownership and that is partly true, but there is more that happened behind the scenes and outside the media's attention that has alluded us for years. BB won't publicly say that Woody Johnson is an idiot and that he would never want to work for him.  But that is true, he just won't and really can't publically say it.  Either way, I think we have finally figured it out and can put this to rest...at least I can. 

well until BB retires and writes a tell all expose,,it is all speculation

I think the reason both Bill's left the Jets is because of owner Woody Johnson. They both know something the we don't know. I always believed Woody had something to do with Bill Parcells leaving before his contract is up. Yes he had to complete his contract obligation and find a coach because Belicheck turned downed the Jets head coaching job. Remember Parcells claim that he was tired of coaching and then he goes and takes the Dallas Cowboys head coaching job instead of staying with the Jets.

I believe Parcells and Belicheck talk during their time with the Giants and Jets. I believe they shared their information both and agreed on things weren't going to go right with the Jets. I believe both Bill's wanted to rebuild the Jets and Woody had other ideas or plans. IMO, Belicheck checked his options, he checked in with Kraft first to see what they are offering and during that conversation Belicheck told him of building a team for the playoffs and for the future and Taft was sold on the idea and hired Belicheck. Since he took over, the team has made a total of 11 Super Bowl appearances and won 5 total in his tenure. 

Both Bills were given a chance to stay and coach and both turned it down. One left to coach one last time, while the other went on to build a dynasty.

I believe and ask yourself do you think Belicheck would of been able to do what he has done to the Patriots with the Jets? No, because Woody Johnson has a win now mentality; Look at how long it took him to accept that this team needed to be rebuilt. If anyone noticed since Metlife stadium was built the only thing he cares about is selling PSL's and when the Jets lose, people don't want to buy the PSLs or don't want to renew. Woody wouldn't give Belicheck full control of the team like he has with the Patriots. Belicheck has his own people in place in the front office and he picks his own coaching staff and players that he wants on his team. Woody Johnson is the reason IMO!!!

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I do think we would've ended up drafting Brady and the dynasty would've been our dynasty but I think BB would've been fine even without Brady.  I still think we'd have won a Superbowl under BB, even without Brady.

Belichick would have inherited a good team built by parcels and had similar success to Herm until Chad’s body fell apart

2 hours ago, GaryM said:

Who cares what all you people speculate? Is that what this site has come down to,,like the old saying,,everybody has an opinion......

Jets fans hate Brady so much they want to pretend like Belichick created this “system”

No it’s all about Brady he’s the best qb ever and best football player ever

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets fans hate Brady so much they want to pretend like Belichick created this “system”

No it’s all about Brady he’s the best qb ever and best football player ever

I understand we're Jets fans... "screw Belichick for abandoning us," rah rah rah but come on man. You can't actually believe Belichick is a Herm-level coach...

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

BB developed into a great coach but I don't think he gets that chance if Brady doesn't emerge.  He was already on the hot seat. 

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

BB developed into a great coach but I don't think he gets that chance if Brady doesn't emerge.  He was already on the hot seat. 

100%

The often overlooked key to both their success is they neither of them had to endure a stretch of rebuild. Beli took over a Pats team built by Parcells and Carroll. Even had a QB already. The most adversity they’ve ever faced was keeping Bledsoe benched. Rebuild means installing new, acclimating, and really leaves room for rudimentary planning. When you don’t have to do those things, then it leaves room to plan at a level the rest of the league isn’t at. 75% of the league is in year 1-3 of a rebuild at all times. This creates an incredible advantage for the Patriots.

16 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Well, it's also cause he's also a disloyal doosh who chased the money in NE and then put on a red-ass like the Jets did him wrong - and that was BEFORE Mangini ratted him out for SpyGate. F him - I hope he dies of syphilis in prison.

It was all about the money.   Kraft paid him as if he had hired Parcells.  I think they more than doubled his salary

They went over this on the 30 for 30, you can say all you want about relationships and who he wanted to work for etc. but it was 100% because Parcells played games with him and he wasnt having it.

Parcells used the Jets like a dirty whore while simultaneously created a dynasty that has haunted the Jets for 20 years.  The most damaging person in the history of the franchise and the NFL for that matter.

Yet people here worship him like a god.

Archived