Why did bill leave the jets

BornJetsFan1983

He made some comment where he was talking about Parcells and called us "another organization" and anyway it occurs to me I don't really know why Bill left us inside 24 hours...

Is there a thread on it in the forums or anyone that can break down the reasoning? Did someone sleep with his wife of something? 

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Most say it's because he wanted to get out of Parcells' shadow.  Parcells had just retired from being the HC and went on to become the GM.  Thus being in charge of the "HC of the NYJ".

Yep. Parcells fan boys blame Woody and point to something Belichick said as evidence, cause Belichick is known for his honesty and stuff 

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Most say it's because he wanted to get out of Parcells' shadow.  Parcells had just retired from being the HC and went on to become the GM.  Thus being in charge of the "HC of the NYJ".

That, Jet ownership was up in the air, and he had a decent relationship with Kraft.

Bill Parcells.  Parcells and BBs relationship was strained at the time.  BP wouldn't let BB know he was stepping down, thus making BB HC, and BB didn't want to wait around so he made his deal with Kraft.  If BP doesn't play games then BB stays and the dynasty is ours if he drafted Brady while he's fired within 3 years if he doesn't draft Brady.

31 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He made some comment where he was talking about Parcells and called us "another organization" and anyway it occurs to me I don't really know why Bill left us inside 24 hours...

Is there a thread on it in the forums or anyone that can break down the reasoning? Did someone sleep with his wife of something? 

image.png.b6fa4b7148342b8749eacc16e5deb049.png

21 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That, Jet ownership was up in the air, and he had a decent relationship with Kraft.

The Patriots fans say that Parcells was the disloyal douche that was negotiating a deal to go to the Jets on the flight to the super bowl against the Packers.  They say that is contributed to them coming out flat.  Supposedly Belichick was pissed about the way Parcells played Kraft.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Bill Parcells.  Parcells and BBs relationship was strained at the time.  BP wouldn't let BB know he was stepping down, thus making BB HC, and BB didn't want to wait around so he made his deal with Kraft.  If BP doesn't play games then BB stays and the dynasty is ours if he drafted Brady while he's fired within 3 years if he doesn't draft Brady.

that's probably closer to the truth.  but the way the bellichicken described it, it was like he didn't have any faith that he would be able to succeed for the new owners.  maybe parcells did force his hand by handing things over so quickly but it was also up to bellichicken to take up the challenge. of course going to the patsies and drafting brady didn't hurt.  and who knows what would've happened if mo lewis doesn't knock bledsoe into the next century.  the patsie revisionist history says bellichicken was moving on from bledsoe anyway so lewis just hastened it along.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

A lot of things played into his decision including the new ownership, which he saw as less desirable than Kraft and of course, to seperate himself from Parcells once and for all.

All true but BB was hired as the HC in 1997 and the Tuna was still under contract to Kraft and was in the Bowl 1996.. At first the Tuna was going to be a adviser to the Jets but when a deal was worked out that had the Tuna come in as GM/HC BB was the DC again.. Even though Hess gave him extra money to wait out the Tuna's 3 year commitment to the team I think that always had pissed off BB..  

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Because he was going to end up working for Woody Johnson or James Dolan and he knew better. End of story.

In The Two Bills documentary, BB says he had a problem with the owner being Woody or Dolan, but would have stayed if Hess was still the owner.

One former player of theirs (I forget who) in the documentary says BB was shook of BP’s shadow.

Either way, BB should have been a man and spoken to Parcells, who returned as GM after 2000 anyway. BB would have had full control I’m sure if he asked Parcells before you retire to make it part of the deal.

Instead he pulled his bullsht.

22 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

All true but BB was hired as the HC in 1997 and the Tuna was still under contract to Kraft and was in the Bowl 1996.. At first the Tuna was going to be a adviser to the Jets but when a deal was worked out that had the Tuna come in as GM/HC BB was the DC again.. Even though Hess gave him extra money to wait out the Tuna's 3 year commitment to the team I think that always had pissed off BB..  

BB knew what he was getting into, he knew he was HC until BP could get out of his pats deal.

Parcells originally wanted to coach 2 years and the plan was for BB to take over for 99 but with getting so close in 98 and he's on his deathbed BP wanted to give it one more shot then hess have BB the million dollar bonus to stay even though no one wanted him.

Fast forward to late 99 and BP still didn't let BB know he was stepping down so BB wisely pursued other opportunities.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because he was going to end up working for Woody Johnson or James Dolan and he knew better. End of story.

Yeah because Woody has always meddled with coaches.  He didn't stay because of BP not because of an owner we didn't have yet

This whole narrative that BP quit and BB had no idea and that’s the reason he left hs is completely nonsensical. 

1. We (pre twitter/smart phone age) knew there was a great chance Parcells was gone during the entire 99 season. By the season finale against Seattle we were chanting “One more year!” Because we knew he was out the door. 

2. BB had all year to talk to Parcells if he had reservations about the future.

3. BB accepted the job and held off season player evaluation meetings with Parcells, coaches, and executives.

It’s real simple. He accepted the job. Kraft called him and said I’ll give you full control. BB figured well I they can’t make me pay back my $1 million bonus to Hess, so instead of talking to my dick of a mentor like a man and saying “Hey I’m being offered full control, can you promise me the same after you leave as GM?” He weasled his way out and him and Kraft stuck it to Parcells, because as others have said BP/BB had tension at that point.

32 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

BB knew what he was getting into, he knew he was HC until BP could get out of his pats deal.

Parcells originally wanted to coach 2 years and the plan was for BB to take over for 99 but with getting so close in 98 and he's on his deathbed BP wanted to give it one more shot then hess have BB the million dollar bonus to stay even though no one wanted him.

Fast forward to late 99 and BP still didn't let BB know he was stepping down so BB wisely pursued other opportunities.

Then there was no reason to name him HC was there?? Tags had to talk Kraft into taking a 1st rd pick

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

After the Jets loss to Denver in the AFC Championship, Leon Hess gave Bill Belichick a $1 million bonus for him to automatically succeed Parcells as the Head Coach of the NYJ. Leon Hess died three months later and the ownership was up in the air. Bill Parcells was know to always let everyone in the dark about his future plans. After the 1999 season, Parcells was thinking about coaching for one more year to honor Leon Hess death (and money, obviously).

When Robert Kraft fired Pete Carroll, Belichick saw the perfect opportunity to be a Head Coach again, with a roster that fit his system (Parcells build that Patriots team) and a stable owner that he had a good relationship. Belichick was tired of chasing Parcells and the Jets new owner (Woody or Dolan) could be a new Art Modell in his life.

So the minute Kraft sent a fax to the Jets requesting to interview Belichick, Bill Parcells quickly stepped down as a HC, triggering Belichick contract, elevating him as the new NYJ Head coach, against his will, and blocking the Patriots attempt to hire him.

The next day, Belichick resigns and a long legal battle started. The NFL ruled in favor of the Jets, who receive a 1st round draft choice in compensation to Belichick signing with the Patriots. Parcells used that pick to trade up for Shaun Ellis and the rest is history...

Parcells is so ******* overrated here because we came off of 3 years of absolute disaster when he was hired, which was preceded by years of mediocrity. 

Yes, Parcells stabilized the Jets and made them a (briefly) respected organization, but also sentenced them to years of more.mediocrity. 

His drafts sucked. The 1998-99 team was made of old Free agents. It was going to be short lived success. He traded away good players out of stubbornness (Hugh Douglas), and he COST the Jets our 1998 and 1999 first round picks. Seriously, go look it up if you dont believe me. The Jets didnt make a first round pick for 2 consecutive years. The 1997 draft was a COMPLETE DISASTER, because Parcells refused to state the obvious, that he would take Peyton Manning #1 overall, so he stayed in Tenn. He then traded back instead of picking future HOF'er Orlando Pace, and selected James Farruor, who would get traded 4 years later. 

The 1998 Draft was an Idzikian dumpster fire, 12 picks of futility (but with a side of Cap Hell):

Dorian Boose, Preseason legend...

Scott Frost

Kevin Williams (rough break)

Jason Fabini (Adequate starter)

Casey Dailey?

Doug Karczewski?

Blake Spence(1 brief moment, lol)

Eric Bateman (Jasons better)

Eric Ogbogu

Chris Brazzell?

Dustin Johnson?

Lawrence Hart?

The 1999 draft was as bad. Yeah. Until Parcells managed to ship Keyshawn to TB (Where he barely contributed to a SB win) and make 4 1st round picks in 2000 (Anthony Becht? Really?), Parcells contributed almost nil in young talent. He left the team in cap hell. He cost us Peyton Manning AND Orlando Pace in one offseason. He ****ed over Bellichick one too many times. He walked away from us, and left a disaster in his wake crying about the Man in the Mirror or some sh*t, only to resurface in Dallas AND Miami after. 

Thank you,  Bill Parcells, for a minute of success. Solid pump and dump. Hooray, you....

Even if the communication between the two Bills had been better and Belichick knew what Parcells plans were, I suspect the fact that Jet ownership was up in the air compared to the stability of the Pats would have made him walk anyway.

It's actually a lesson from Kraft in not burning all your bridges. He could have blackballed anyone associated with Parcells after he left NE out of spite. By not doing that Belichick was ok to go back.

Archived