Jump to content
JetNation

JetNation Prospect Preview: Kentucky Linebacker Josh Allen

Recommended Posts

Josh-Allen-kentucky.jpg

When the NFL draft gets under way just a couple of months from now, the New York Jets are slotted to have the third overall pick with which to address one of their many needs.  In a perfect world, the Jets top option should be to trade down while staying in the top 10 while adding picks.picks.  Assuming they stay at three, we’ll start our prospect previews with Kentucky Linebacker Josh Allen, who could easily be the Jets pick at 3 if Bosa is off the board.

Allen, a 6′ 5” 260 lb linebacker who has excelled in getting after the passer and blowing up running plays while opening some eyes in coverage against opposing tight ends figures to be a cornerstone on somebody’s defense for years to come.

Name: Josh Allen

College: Kentucky

Position: DE/OLB

2018 Stats:  

88 tackles (56 solo), 21.5 TFL, 17 sk, 4 PD, 5 FF

Strengths:

Allen shows an explosive first step along with good enough bend to get around the edge as proven by his eye-popping sack numbers.  He has a high motor and will beat linemen to the outside and use relentless effort to chase down opposing QB’s.  Uses his hands well at the point of attack and shows good use of leverage against o-linemen.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of Allen’s game that pops out in watching Kentucky games from last season is his ability to drop back in coverage.  When he does, it’s not just window dressing.  He shows the ability to stick with opposing tight ends, meaning if paired with a player such as Jamal Adams, Gregg Williams would have a great time disguising blitzes and coverages.

Weaknesses:

Allen doesn’t dominate up front against the run as much as you might like and will need to be coached up in that area as he looks to get stronger when holding his ground against NFL linemen.  Even with his combination of explosion, speed and motor, he relies on pure ability to beat opposing linemen.  Will have to add more variety to his arsenal in trying to get to opposing quarterbacks.

Scheme fit:

Allen’s versatility is what makes him a good choice for the Jets with the third pick.  He can play with his hand in the dirt or standing up in Gregg Williams’ defense.  For that reason, he should be the pick for the Jets if they aren’t able to trade down or add a player such as Demarcus Lawrence in free agency.

 

 

The post JetNation Prospect Preview: Kentucky Linebacker Josh Allen appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

DncaX05agxg

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He's #1 on my Wish List as of right now 

You know how will go then...Arizona (Joey Bosa), 49ers (Josh Allen), NY Jets ? (Can't pass up BPA so Quinnen Williams). 

No one will care if we sign a stud Edge rusher & 2 stud lineman. This draft is gonna be very interesting. Jets need to win free agency badly. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Draft offense.

Who if stuck at 3? Be pretty cool if they signed Saffold & Paradis and just said f*ck it & draft Jonah Williams. Happiest Coach on the Jets? Pollack! Happiest player? Sam Darnold. 

I would LOVE to see what Sam can do with an above average Oline in front of him. I'm still amazed at how different he looked after sitting. Can't wait to see him with a full year under his belt, full camp with all the reps, better Oline, better coaching, a few more weapons. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice player.  But, if  the "War in the trenches" wins football games, you draft Quinnen Williams.  He is the trench.  Unblockable , even when double teamed. Dominant.  Will anchor the defensive line for years.  Will improve the entire unit. Can't miss.  Won't miss.  Hope he" falls" to us.  Biggest Defensive raw talent in this draft.  Bar none.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Very nice player.  But, if  the "War in the trenches" wins football games, you draft Quinnen Williams.  He is the trench.  Unblockable , even when double teamed. Dominant.  Will anchor the defensive line for years.  Will improve the entire unit. Can't miss.  Won't miss.  Hope he" falls" to us.  Biggest Defensive raw talent in this draft.  Bar none.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetster said:

You know how will go then...Arizona (Joey Bosa), 49ers (Josh Allen), NY Jets ? (Can't pass up BPA so Quinnen Williams). 

No one will care if we sign a stud Edge rusher & 2 stud lineman. This draft is gonna be very interesting. Jets need to win free agency badly. 

maybe but if the giaints still want the qb then the jets can trade back and still pick up a really good player plus get an additional draft pick.  frankly, the way the edge rushers got handled in the playoffs i wouldn't be so quick to grab one.  maybe if they grab the next lawrence taylor .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Who if stuck at 3? Be pretty cool if they signed Saffold & Paradis and just said f*ck it & draft Jonah Williams. Happiest Coach on the Jets? Pollack! Happiest player? Sam Darnold. 

I would LOVE to see what Sam can do with an above average Oline in front of him. I'm still amazed at how different he looked after sitting. Can't wait to see him with a full year under his belt, full camp with all the reps, better Oline, better coaching, a few more weapons. 

i like the free agent choices.  imo if they get those guys then the 3rd pick should be a skill position, offense or defense.  i think i'd be looking hard at the corners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

frankly, the way the edge rushers got handled in the playoffs i wouldn't be so quick to grab one.  maybe if they grab the next lawrence taylor .

So only get an edge rusher if he’s the best LBer of all time?

reasonable.

look, as much as I wouldn’t be able to stomach a DE at #3...you can’t say you won’t take a player(especially at a position of need) because of what you perceived to be a lack of impact in the playoffs. Reality is defense played a huge part throughout the entire 2018-19 playoffs and OLB/DE is an important defensive position.

As much flack as I give Josh Allen..if we couldn’t trade down and were planning on being a 3-4 Defense...I wouldn’t feel so bad about the pick at all. Josh Allen as a 4-3 DE though? I’m just not feeling it. Especially when there are so many good 4-3 DE options in FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

So only get an edge rusher if he’s the best LBer of all time?

reasonable.

look, as much as I wouldn’t be able to stomach a DE at #3...you can’t say you won’t take a player(especially at a position of need) because of what you perceived to be a lack of impact in the playoffs. Reality is defense played a huge part throughout the entire 2018-19 playoffs and OLB/DE is an important defensive position.

As much flack as I give Josh Allen..if we couldn’t trade down and were planning on being a 3-4 Defense...I wouldn’t feel so bad about the pick at all. Josh Allen as a 4-3 DE though? I’m just not feeling it. Especially when there are so many good 4-3 DE options in FA. 

my point is they need to score points and imo a superior corner is more important than an edge rusher because the corner can't necessarily rely on the guy next to him to cover his responsibility.  and as i said, i didn't see jc watt, or bosa, or ford or fowler do much in the playoffs.  granted mack looked like an impact player but the rest were neutralized.  and let's agree that the patsie oline, individual talent wise, is no great shakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rangerous said:

maybe but if the giaints still want the qb then the jets can trade back and still pick up a really good player plus get an additional draft pick.  frankly, the way the edge rushers got handled in the playoffs i wouldn't be so quick to grab one.  maybe if they grab the next lawrence taylor .

This would be ideal, trade down and still get someone like Jonah Williams to help out Sam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, rangerous said:

my point is they need to score points and imo a superior corner is more important than an edge rusher because the corner can't necessarily rely on the guy next to him to cover his responsibility.  and as i said, i didn't see jc watt, or bosa, or ford or fowler do much in the playoffs.  granted mack looked like an impact player but the rest were neutralized.  and let's agree that the patsie oline, individual talent wise, is no great shakes.

So you are a Greedy Williams advocate? Okay fine. But not at 3 I hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can't trade down, I have to say, I'm an advocate of Quinnen Williams at #3 now that we are officially a 4-3 Defense.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If, and it's a big if, Josh Allen can rush from a 3 or 4 pt stance I'd love him at 3.  The problem is that really all he's been is a 3-4 OLB. You can't just assume that he'll be just as productive playing the 4-3 DE position. That would be my biggest concern.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If, and it's a big if, Josh Allen can rush from a 3 or 4 pt stance I'd love him at 3.  The problem is that really all he's been is a 3-4 OLB. You can't just assume that he'll be just as productive playing the 4-3 DE position. That would be my biggest concern.

+1

Now that it's a 4-3, I'm not as interested in Allen. I keep having flashbacks of Barkevious Mingo. He just seems too light for a 4-3 DE. I hope I'm wrong, but I see it as either boom or bust if he's taken at #3. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

So you are a Greedy Williams advocate? Okay fine. But not at 3 I hope.

maybe not greedy williams but the point is they need to get skill position players when they can get them.  if they trade back and a really good offensive player is there then so be it.  but if a superior corner is there and the offensive player is a guard then you gotta look at the corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, rangerous said:

my point is they need to score points and imo a superior corner is more important than an edge rusher because the corner can't necessarily rely on the guy next to him to cover his responsibility.  and as i said, i didn't see jc watt, or bosa, or ford or fowler do much in the playoffs.  granted mack looked like an impact player but the rest were neutralized.  and let's agree that the patsie oline, individual talent wise, is no great shakes.

Cool is that why Jason Pierre Paull and Von Miller have rings

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Cool is that why Jason Pierre Paull and Von Miller have rings

eric flowers has one too.  so does rick lyle. lohn abraham doesn't.  the point is it takes more than having a really good edge rusher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 10:44 AM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Very nice player.  But, if  the "War in the trenches" wins football games, you draft Quinnen Williams.  He is the trench.  Unblockable , even when double teamed. Dominant.  Will anchor the defensive line for years.  Will improve the entire unit. Can't miss.  Won't miss.  Hope he" falls" to us.  Biggest Defensive raw talent in this draft.  Bar none.

Then where was he in the National Championship game? Business decision? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Allen is in the board when we pick it should be a lock! Not 1 person in this draft I want more than Allen.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, joewilly12 said:

 

I've seen this highlight video. About 5 times over the last decade. Saw the same college highlights with the same "unblockable" hyperbole before. Saw it with D'rob.

With Gholston.

Coples.

Wilkerson.

Richardson.

Most recently with Leonard Williams. 

Same hype. Same highlights. Same claims of being dominant and unblockable, and the BPA.

Enough. 

 

Time to draft Offense. I don't care if its a "reach", I don't care if its a WR or a Guard at this point. But they have to stop making the same mistakes over and over again. 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Cool is that why Jason Pierre Paull and Von Miller have rings

Adam Vinieteri has about 6 rings. As a matter of fact, EVERY SB winning team had at least one kicker!! Lets draft 4 kickers, then!!

 

 

Its as valid as the point you're making....

 

🤔

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Then where was he in the National Championship game? Business decision? 

Good point.  Not his best game, but he did have 4 tackles, second on the team as far as Defensive Lineman.  They got beaten by a better team, in my opinion.  I was glad for that, I wanted Clemson to win anyway.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I've seen this highlight video. About 5 times over the last decade. Saw the same college highlights with the same "unblockable" hyperbole before. Saw it with D'rob.

With Gholston.

Coples.

Wilkerson.

Richardson.

Most recently with Leonard Williams. 

Same hype. Same highlights. Same claims of being dominant and unblockable, and the BPA.

Enough. 

 

Time to draft Offense. I don't care if its a "reach", I don't care if its a WR or a Guard at this point. But they have to stop making the same mistakes over and over again. 

 

Get your frustration.  That's why we have to trade down.  Even if it's less than "chart value".  Worse, if they reach and miss.  There is a need for this type of player on this roster.  You don't draft a player a full round early because of need or the fact that we're "tired" of drafting defensive players in that drafting position.  Every time  you draft a player at a certain position, you can pull out all of the "busts" as rationale for passing on a particular choice.  That makes no sense.  If that were the case they would never have drafted Sam, because of  "Sancheese" and " Hackenslack",  Where would we be then.  You are a smart man, who knows a lot more about these college players than I do.  Get your emotions out of it and use the good sense you usually display on these topics.  DK Metcalf is not a #3 overall pick.  Neither is Jonah Williams. Nor Greedy Williams.  If not Quinnen Williams, who then?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, joewilly12 said:

 

Where were the high lights from the National Championship game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Get your frustration.  That's why we have to trade down.  Even if it's less than "chart value".  Worse, if they reach and miss.  There is a need for this type of player on this roster.  You don't draft a player a full round early because of need or the fact that we're "tired" of drafting defensive players in that drafting position.  Every time  you draft a player at a certain position, you can pull out all of the "busts" as rationale for passing on a particular choice.  That makes no sense.  If that were the case they would never have drafted Sam, because of  "Sancheese" and " Hackenslack",  Where would we be then.  You are a smart man, who knows a lot more about these college players than I do.  Get your emotions out of it and use the good sense you usually display on these topics.  DK Metcalf is not a #3 overall pick.  Neither is Jonah Williams. Nor Greedy Williams.  If not Quinnen Williams, who then?

Honestly, none of us know what any of these players will wind up doing in the NFL, not even the teams selecting them. But its not just frustrations or prior busts, its that the league has tilted itself towards offense, and I just dont think building the foundation of your team, with a young cornerstone QB on the roster should start at interior DL. 

 

They drafted Leonard at 6 overall 3 years ago. They're switching to a base 4-3 (hybrid) D. If anything, they NEED a 4-3 end before they take the luxury pick of a DT.  Again.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Honestly, none of us know what any of these players will wind up doing in the NFL, not even the teams selecting them. But its not just frustrations or prior busts, its that the league has tilted itself towards offense, and I just dont think building the foundation of your team, with a young cornerstone QB on the roster should start at interior DL. 

 

They drafted Leonard at 6 overall 3 years ago. They're switching to a base 4-3 (hybrid) D. If anything, they NEED a 4-3 end before they take the luxury pick of a DT.  Again.  

 

Got it but Josh Allen makes me nervous.  I think Quinnen Williams is more of  a lock, younger, with more upside.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Allen's burst off the snap.  It's unique.  The one thing I wonder, though, is his lateral quickness and ability to finish against NFL tackles.  If he can figure that out he's a potential 12+ sacks guy.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Adam Vinieteri has about 6 rings. As a matter of fact, EVERY SB winning team had at least one kicker!! Lets draft 4 kickers, then!!

 

 

Its as valid as the point you're making....

 

🤔

Wow comparing Pierre Paul and Von Miller to a kicker.  Sharp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Bosa and Allen are gone and they can't trade the pick they will take Williams, Greedy Williams. Macc won't be able to resist. Especially with Clairborne probably gone and not to mention Skrine gone as well. Add in the fact that our high priced CB mailed in last season and you could see the need. Not saying I agree with it but it's probably what will most likely happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

If Bosa and Allen are gone and they can't trade the pick they will take Williams, Greedy Williams. Macc won't be able to resist. Especially with Clairborne probably gone and not to mention Skrine gone as well. Add in the fact that our high priced CB mailed in last season and you could see the need. Not saying I agree with it but it's probably what will most likely happen.

That would be a shocking pick and there's no way, " Mr. BPA"  would do that, certainly not this year.  Any "reach" would put him in the spotlight immediately, and any perception of failure would put him squarely in the crosshairs of the fan base and media.  This is not Denzel Ward, he is much more of an "unknown" entity.  Late first rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, rangerous said:

my point is they need to score points and imo a superior corner is more important than an edge rusher because the corner can't necessarily rely on the guy next to him to cover his responsibility.  

Couldn't disagree more. Corners get safety help and their job is made much easier when the QB doesn't have all day to throw the ball (thanks to elite pass rushers). Corners just can't effect the game the way a dominate edge rusher can.

In today's NFL, QB's have so many passing options at wr/te/rb. Having a shut down corner has minimal effect (taking away 1 wr), whereas an elite pass rusher can take away all those options.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×