What is the Jets biggest need in this Draft?

jetstream23

What is the Jets biggest need in this Draft?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Jets biggest need in this Draft?

• Offensive Line
    • WR
    • TE
    • Edge Rusher (OLB or Pass-rushing DE)
    • Defensive Line (Interior or 3-4 DE)
    • CB
    • Other

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

edge is the biggest need on the roster, and that's coming from someone that hopes for Williams/Oliver. Bosa or Allen would fill the bigger need  

OL needs help but it's not the worst need

Harrison isn't that terrible tbh. if he's so sh*t how come Darnold played awesome when he replaced Long 

Been saying that all offseason.  Darnold played his best with Harrison under center.  

And the other factor the pound the table for OL crowd keeps missing is; Darnold improving as much as we think he will, in turn will make the OL play stronger.  The better he sees the field, knows the playbook, makes quicker reads and gets the ball out fast, having an all world OL doesnt matter as much.  

Someone posted the top rated OL's in the league recently, there is no coincidence that all the teams listed had top 10 QB's too.

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

C, Edge, OT, CB, WR, OG

Doesn't mean they need to be drafted in that order.

Bingo!  If we can line those up with the appropriate value then I'm thrilled (ex.  Stay at 3 and we take Edge first, Trade back to 15 and maybe get the best Center before coming back for Edge in Round 2, etc.)

Also, this poll is almost 50/50 right now.  We certainly know where our 2 biggest needs are....even if we disagree about which one should be the priority.  I have to wonder if this Draft was top heavy with OT and the Edge guys were more like Top 20 talent, would the poll skew a little more towards OLine.  In other words, is there some degree of bias slipping in simply because of how people perceive the talent that should be available around #3?  Just a thought.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

edge is the biggest need on the roster, and that's coming from someone that hopes for Williams/Oliver. Bosa or Allen would fill the bigger need  

Harrison isn't that terrible tbh. if he's so sh*t how come Darnold played awesome when he replaced Long 

Because Spencer Long is a turd.

Dont get me wrong. He isn’t a sh*t player but he isn’t as reliable at starter nor I would expect him to be put up starter results more than I’d expect a Tru Johnson resurgence and solid play from Poole. Roberts played well...Idk what to expect from him though. I’m not saying we don’t need help at corner but I just don’t see a damn thing at Center that makes me comfortable.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

so wait. You’d rather Jonathan Harrison start at Center than Trumaine, Roberts and Poole at CB?

both sh*t positional depth but Jonathan Harrison? No.

its definitely Center.

imho

well with Harrison starting at center darnold has had his best games .. let me know how feel if Trumaine isn’t back to form and looks like last year again and Roberts proves that he really isn’t starting quality .

23 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

If a trade down happens they pick oline. 

If the stay put they will pick Edge.

I the the situation is fluid, The Cards choice will govern a lot of what happens. 

Gotta agree. I think a trade will be in play right up until they pick depending on what happens in front of them. The only way they don't entertain a trade will be if Bosa "falls" to them. Looks like that has a legit chance of happening.

49 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

well with Harrison starting at center darnold has had his best games .. let me know how feel if Trumaine isn’t back to form and looks like last year again and Roberts proves that he really isn’t starting quality .

Harrison starting over the course of a 16 game season and Harrison starting 4 games is quite different. No center impacts this team more than no corner.

Over the past 30 seasons, the Jets have finished top 10 in scoring offense only 2 times. 

Their average record when finishing top 10 in scoring offense was 11-6.

Over the past 30 seasons, the Jets have finished top 10 in points allowed (defense) 10 times.

Their average record when finishing top 10 in points allowed was 9-7.

I believe the time has come to focus on our offense, behind our QB prospect Sam Darnold.  All-in, as they say.

I would prefer to see our team try to score more points than their opponents.  Not to try and keep their opponents from scoring fewer points than the paltry average of this team over the past 30 seasons.

But what will be, will be.  I control none of it, so I will not be emotionally invested in any of it.  

The Jets have two obvious needs Edge and Oline, and they have the 3rd pick in the 1st round. The Jets do have a problem by having that pick. They have two choices one stick with that pick, the other is trade that pick for more picks.

If they stick with that pick which only means nobody gave them a good offer for a trade. The Jets should then pick  OLB Josh Allen for their edge rusher. This is the only obvious choice to take at #3 in the 1st round because there is no olinemen worth picking at #3 and they have been needing a edge rusher for years since John Abraham left and it was never addressed by the previous GMs.  Unless Bosa falls on their lap, which would be a steal in the first round.

If the Jets do make a trade depending with who and where in the draft, that's when the Jets should pick the olineman  like a center. With this trade they can also add draft picks like a second round pick for this years draft and for next years draft. But it all depends on what is being offered to the Jets.

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

I guess all Sam needed to do was catch the ball clean. :)

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Over the past 30 seasons, the Jets have finished top 10 in scoring offense only 2 times. 

Their average record when finishing top 10 in scoring offense was 11-6.

Over the past 30 seasons, the Jets have finished top 10 in points allowed (defense) 10 times.

Their average record when finishing top 10 in points allowed was 9-7.

I believe the time has come to focus on our offense, behind our QB prospect Sam Darnold.  All-in, as they say.

I would prefer to see our team try to score more points than their opponents.  Not to try and keep their opponents from scoring fewer points than the paltry average of this team over the past 30 seasons.

But what will be, will be.  I control none of it, so I will not be emotionally invested in any of it.  

It is too hard to keep scores lower these days

The Jets need a center, #1WR, CB, an Edge, a NT, and a LT of the future. 

These are all needs so the only question is which position you feel is more important. 

I think the Jets biggest need is top 50 draft picks. We need to acquire as many as we can get, now and in the future. 

On 4/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, JiF said:

The Jets this offseason needed help and had huge holes at:  OL, WR, RB, CB, DL and Edge.

OL - resigned Harrison, traded for Osemele, added depth with a plug in starter in Tom Compton

WR - signed the best available slot WR who is a QB's best friend and fits Gase's scheme perfectly in Crowder.  Resigned Que.  Tendered Robby and added Bellamy for depth.

RB - signed the best available player period in FA in Bell.  Not only was he the best RB available, he was also the best WR available. They also added Ty Montgomery for depth.

CB - the resigned Daryl Roberts and upgraded a nickle with Brian Poole.

DL - they brought back both McLendon and Anderson.

Edge - nothing, nada, zilch.  

But yeah, they need more offense. 

Great point, but how do you envision the starting offensive line? 

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

this is the line 

LT  - Kelvin Beachum. Average if not good starter for at least 1 more year  (they need to develop a replacement or draft one high 2020)

LG - Kelechi Osemele (who Jets fans may not know but is a fricking mauler)

C - Jon Harrison, Jon Toth or Free agents like Travis Swanson and Ryan Groy (clearly this is the problem area)

RG - Brian Winters - actually played well last year and every snap (like Beachum probably another year, replace in 2020) 

RT - Brandon Shell - young player still improving, also Mac's only decent OL draft pick ever  

swing player - Tom Compton - country strong North Dakota dude has starting experience at guard and right tackle. 

There are some long term concerns but Mac's style is to find FA and also use mid to late round picks on the line look for more of the same. (rd 3-6). 

Put it another way the Jetnation message board has way more stomach for drafting a lineman high and developing him than Mac and Gase. These guys want the Jesse Davis of the world (look him up) 

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I think the Jets biggest need is top 50 draft picks. We need to acquire as many as we can get, now and in the future. 

when any Jets fan thinks about the lost 2nd round picks, think about Sam Darnold 

cause that's what they spend it on 

also think about all the 2nd round picks they pick that sucked. I'd list them all but it might break the internet 

4 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

this is the line 

LT  - Kelvin Beachum. Average if not good starter for at least 1 more year  (they need to develop a replacement or draft one high 2020)

LG - Kelechi Osemele (who Jets fans may not know but is a fricking mauler)

C - Jon Harrison, Jon Toth or Free agents like Travis Swanson and Ryan Groy (clearly this is the problem area)

RG - Brian Winters - actually played well last year and every snap (like Beachum probably another year, replace in 2020) 

RT - Brandon Shell - young player still improving, also Mac's only decent OL draft pick ever  

swing player - Tom Compton - country strong North Dakota dude has starting experience at guard and right tackle. 

There are some long term concerns but Mac's style is to find FA and also use mid to late round picks on the line look for more of the same. (rd 3-6). 

Put it another way the Jetnation message board has way more stomach for drafting a lineman high and developing him than Mac and Gase. These guys want the Jesse Davis of the world (look him up) 

Well said Bit, the OL had a few really bad games where they were over matched early.  Dolphins games stands out.  The Jags.  But they buckled down and were considerably better with Harrison at C and Long at G. Osemele is a huge upgrade.  Compton is solid depth. And there are still some older decent vets still out there.  I would assume the 3rd round pick is OL if they arent able to trade down too.

It already upgraded and could be more.  The biggest variable to their success is Sam Darnold's improvement.  If he improves, so will the OL.

Archived