What is the Jets biggest need in this Draft?

jetstream23

What is the Jets biggest need in this Draft?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Jets biggest need in this Draft?

• Offensive Line
    • WR
    • TE
    • Edge Rusher (OLB or Pass-rushing DE)
    • Defensive Line (Interior or 3-4 DE)
    • CB
    • Other

OL. PERIOD. I do not want my young franchise QB going out and getting killed because the GM never got his priorities straight. There is nothing more important than properly aiding your young QB with a supporting cast capable of building his confidence. CONFIDENCE ultimately leads to success and that is certainly the objective. 

That also pushes aside needs of the defense... At least for one season......

It's split between oline and outside linebacker / pass rusher. We need two O lineman that are good and become really good! We also need somebody like Burns or Sweat after we trade down. Everything else after that as far as role players that can contribute is cake and gravy

The Jets this offseason needed help and had huge holes at:  OL, WR, RB, CB, DL and Edge.

OL - resigned Harrison, traded for Osemele, added depth with a plug in starter in Tom Compton

WR - signed the best available slot WR who is a QB's best friend and fits Gase's scheme perfectly in Crowder.  Resigned Que.  Tendered Robby and added Bellamy for depth.

RB - signed the best available player period in FA in Bell.  Not only was he the best RB available, he was also the best WR available. They also added Ty Montgomery for depth.

CB - the resigned Daryl Roberts and upgraded a nickle with Brian Poole.

DL - they brought back both McLendon and Anderson.

Edge - nothing, nada, zilch.  

But yeah, they need more offense. 

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Jets this offseason needed help and had huge holes at:  OL, WR, RB, CB, DL and Edge.

OL - resigned Harrison, traded for Osemele, added depth with a plug in starter in Tom Compton

WR - signed the best available slot WR who is a QB's best friend and fits Gase's scheme perfectly in Crowder.  Resigned Que.  Tendered Robby and added Bellamy for depth.

RB - signed the best available player period in FA in Bell.  Not only was he the best RB available, he was also the best WR available. They also added Ty Montgomery for depth.

CB - the resigned Daryl Roberts and upgraded a nickle with Brian Poole.

DL - they brought back both McLendon and Anderson.

Edge - nothing, nada, zilch.  

But yeah, they need more offense. 

Needs are not created equal. Do you want to repeat the Colts mistake and have Darnold miss significant time?  Too many fans still fixated on defense . Darnold is only thing that matters thus year and the offense

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

+1 If we’re being real, it’s CB. For practical purposes it’s OL or WR.

If we still had Kacey Rodgers as the DC I'd agree but I'm hoping GW can get it done with what scraps we have.

I just don't want to get Sammy killed before we have a chance to solidify the team.

The guy that could not beat out wesley johsnon and spencer long is currently our starting center.

Our medicore RT is coming off a bad injury.

If our LT gets hurt we have no one viable.

The one and only player that is keeping mcnoober employed is a 21 year old QB

We just watcehd Andrew luck almost end his career due to a low priority on the oline.

Mac was part of the front office that watched david carr get destroyed.

This team may not be able to use the #3 pick on the oline but if they take a Cb or anything else over oline starting in the 3rd round the gm should be forced to date robert kraft.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

OL. PERIOD. I do not want my young franchise QB going out and getting killed because the GM never got his priorities straight. There is nothing more important than properly aiding your young QB with a supporting cast capable of building his confidence. CONFIDENCE ultimately leads to success and that is certainly the objective. 

That also pushes aside needs of the defense... At least for one season......

Couldn't agree more.  We can't let Darnold get hurt or lose confidence.  Even before we get him weapons we need to protect him.  

34 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

If a trade down happens they pick oline. 

If the stay put they will pick Edge.

I the the situation is fluid, The Cards choice will govern a lot of what happens. 

This really is the answer.

If they stay at 3 they can't reach for a player that will still be on the board at 8, 9 or 10.  They'd have to go Edge/DLine as those are the top three players in this draft.

If they trade down then the value equation gets better to go with OLine.  The Giants really do seem like the perfect trade partner here.  If Murray drops to #3 then this could be a rare win-win for the Jets and Giants.

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Needs are not created equal. Do you want to repeat the Colts mistake and have Darnold miss significant time?  Too many fans still fixated on defense . Darnold is only thing that matters thus year and the offense

You're right, needs are not created equal.  And no, I dont want Darnold to miss significant time.  I am not one of those fans fixated on defense, I'm simply answering the proposed question.  Darnold is the most important player on the Jets but he's not the only thing that matters.  That is just silly fan talk but not reality.  

The good news is, it seems based on this offseason the Jets are aware that they need to surround Darnold with talent and a strong OL because they heavily addressed the offense.  As mentioned; they traded for a top 5 guard, signed a C and G who both were starters last season, signed the best available player on offense in Bell, resigned Que, tendered Robby and signed a fantastic scheme fit slot WR.  Time will tell if all that works but that's a significant focus on offense.  On paper, I think you can easily say they upgraded each offensive unit; even at back up with Trevor Siemian.  They also addressed CB with resigning Roberts and upgrading Poole over Skrine and stayed flat on DL.  So now when you look at the biggest needs there is only one position they didnt address; pass rusher/edge.  

Pass rushers are premium positions in the NFL and are a perfect example of needs are not created equal.  That's not to say they could use more offensive help.  They absolutely can and should be looking at every position but if you're asking what the biggest need is right now, it's pass rusher.  No doubt.  

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The guy that could not beat out wesley johsnon and spencer long is currently our starting center.

Our medicore RT is coming off a bad injury.

If our LT gets hurt we have no one viable.

The one and only player that is keeping mcnoober employed is a 21 year old QB

We just watcehd Andrew luck almost end his career due to a low priority on the oline.

Mac was part of the front office that watched david carr get destroyed.

This team may not be able to use the #3 pick on the oline but if they take a Cb or anything else over oline starting in the 3rd round the gm should be forced to date robert kraft.

I was getting ready to make the EDGE argument, because I thought that at least the OL had NFL players, whereas for EDGE we really did not have anyone.  

But I think you make a very good case about the fragile nature of the OL.  Quite frankly, I am not worried about the Center as much, because I do believe that the Jets can draft a Center in the 3rd round that should be as good as Harrison.   Significant upgrade?  I don't know.  At least in the last two years, the best C drafted in the 3rd round or below was Elflein, and last year Harrison actually graded better than Elflein did when he played.  Eric McCoy, who people like, is actually comped to be another Elflein.   Pierschbacher and Gaillard do not have great athleticism.  

But it is the tackles that look most fragile.   If we lose either of them, or Winters, it will not be pretty.  The good news is that Beachum, Shell and Winters should all be motivated for new or to keep their contracts.   If I were the Jets I would be giving Darnold younger, better Tackles and a better Center.  

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

It's split between oline and outside linebacker / pass rusher. We need two O lineman that are good and become really good! We also need somebody like Burns or Sweat after we trade down. Everything else after that as far as role players that can contribute is cake and gravy

And a CB. If we go with Roberts and the other overpaid scrub who was burnt damn near every game, this defense will be screwed 

If Greg Williams can make Leo better, according to many people here, can't he make Tru better as well? At least Tru has a history with Williams. He had his best years when Williams was his DC. I expect a huge turnaround in his play next year.

edge is the biggest need on the roster, and that's coming from someone that hopes for Williams/Oliver. Bosa or Allen would fill the bigger need  

OL needs help but it's not the worst need

Harrison isn't that terrible tbh. if he's so sh*t how come Darnold played awesome when he replaced Long 

Archived