First round picks spent on defense in the last 20 years....

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We do come second to the Packers in % of 1st round picks spent on defense so I guess there is that to hang our hats on.

image.thumb.png.0d5e2bbeb5ba7a2a78ba8b75af5fa8de.png

another interesting point is the jets are second in the number of 1st round picks over the same period.  i guess this list includes the 2000 draft where 4 players were taken in the first round.

• Upvote 3

also not a coincidence that we have had almost all DC's turned HC in that time frame as well. Only exception being our current HC.
Yet the first two picks under that new HC are both defense ...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

another interesting point is the jets are second in the number of 1st round picks over the same period.  i guess this list includes the 2000 draft where 4 players were taken in the first round.

yes, 2000 draft to present

If you can find a stud CB, a stud pass rusher and couple of other guys at DT and LB over a few drafts then they can last a decade (like in Baltimore) and you don't need to keep drafting.  But when your guys flame out like Milliner, Richardson, Coples, Gholston, Wilkerson, etc. then you need to keep going back to the well for more.

I will say that I'm hesitatingly optimistic that we're.....close....on D.  I think the one remaining piece to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on will be CB.  If QW and Polite become starters and the Jets already have guys like Henry Anderson, Mosely, etc. locked up for a while then I don't think there's much "heavy lifting" left on D assuming they retain and extend some guys that are already in place like Jenkins, Adams, Maye, etc.

• Sympathy 1

We do come second to the Packers in % of 1st round picks spent on defense so I guess there is that to hang our hats on.

You want more revealing numbers? Do the same study, but for the last 10 years instead of 20. The Jets % of defensive 1st rd picks should be the most in the NFL by leaps and bounds. 

• Upvote 2

Even more surprising to me is that the Jets have had the second most 1st round picks in that span.  They've drafted 25 players.  Only one other team (San Fran) has drafted more players in the 1st round.

That fact makes the Jets draft record even more disappointing since they've had more opportunities than 30 other teams to get 1st round talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

yes, 2000 draft to present

That’s even worse.  You had 2 of the 8 offensive players taken 19 years ago.  That’s only 6 over the next 18 years.  

Then two more in 2006.  Half the players were taken in just 2 drafts.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Yup, that’s it.  

It's actually not that bad...

Pennington sucked but at least he brought a level of consistency to the position when healthy.  Becht obviously wasnt worth the pick but played 11 years in the NFL.  Moss was a great player in this league for a long time.  DBrick and Mangold were great players.  Sanchez sucked but was part of the best run I've ever seen from this franchise.  Keller was a good player.  And Darnold is the hopeful savior.  

You'd think it would give them encouragement to try and draft offense more in the first round but no.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, JiF said:

It's actually not that bad...

Pennington sucked but at least he brought a level of consistency to the position when healthy.  Becht obviously wasnt worth the pick but played 11 years in the NFL.  Moss was a great player in this league for a long time.  DBrick and Mangold were great players.  Sanchez sucked but was part of the best run I've ever seen from this franchise.  Keller was a good player.  And Darnold is the hopeful savior.  

You'd think it would give them encouragement to try and draft offense more in the first round but no.  

True, no Calvin Pryors, Quinton Colpes, Dee Milliners, Darron Lee’s  or Kyle Wilson’s on that list.  

20 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

OTOH with the Lions and Bengals at the bottom of both of those lists you can't say drafting 1st round offense is a path to success either. 

It doesn't matter whether you draft offense or defense.  It matters that you hit on your picks, especially your 1st-3rd rounders.  Accumulate assets via the draft so you have less holes to fill in free agency or in future drafts. 

• Upvote 2

I know this will elicit some laughter/pity... but I reallllllly believe next year we go heavy on offense. 

The WR and OL talent is rich in 2020 and whatever Sam does this year they will want to surround him with more weapons. No way they go DL/LB/S so unless some generational CB is sitting there then it's OL/WR next year. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

I know this will elicit some laughter/pity... but I reallllllly believe next year we go heavy on offense. 

The WR and OL talent is rich in 2020 and whatever Sam does this year they will want to surround him with more weapons. No way they go DL/LB/S so unless some generational CB is sitting there then it's OL/WR next year. 

I've seen the opposite re. O-line. Very thin next year. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The pathetic Jets took too many players on defense. The pathetic Lions took too many players on Offense, The pathetic Redskins were too balanced. 

The lesson learned: Nothing. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The same or more number of offensive players taken as ten other teams over that same period of time. 

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

also not a coincidence that we have had almost all DC's turned HC in that time frame as well. Only exception being our current HC.

We still have a D HC’s wet dream of a gm.  One who is psycho obsessed with bpa. Unless it’s a pure pass rusher, D is not reached for like O. Why Mac almost always picks D 

33 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

So you think we are getting a new gm then. Because ours doesn’t care what position we need, he strictly drafts by his “ bpa “ chart. Qb his only exception obviously

16 minutes ago, freestater said:

I've seen the opposite re. O-line. Very thin next year. 

Walker Little, Tre Smith, Andrew Thomas, Trey Adams -- this time last year who were the potential 1st round OL? Jonah Williams and Greg Little? 

Things can definitely change but at least there are four high ceiling 1st round tackles going into next season, we can poke holes in all of them but the potential is there... also don't know who will break out.  

11 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We still have a D HC’s wet dream of a gm.  One who is psycho obsessed with bpa. Unless it’s a pure pass rusher, D is not reached for like O. Why Mac almost always picks D 

Seems like every year there are stud DLs coming out, also depth with FAs -- just want them to go for the BPA on offense for once. 

10 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Seems like every year there are stud DLs coming out, also depth with FAs -- just want them to go for the BPA on offense for once. 

Ya me too. Know Gase wants that and even the Johnsons. Since they see loaded up with weapons and protection for darnold is best to max his ability, which lines their pockets. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they can mac in Jan no matter what our record is. Unless Mac agrees to be a yes man and throw his little “ bpa book” out the window. No way do they let him just ignore O another year 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Wish I shared your optimism....I mean, who's going to replace Leo when he walks lol?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesn't matter whether you draft offense or defense.  It matters that you hit on your picks, especially your 1st-3rd rounders.  Accumulate assets via the draft so you have less holes to fill in free agency or in future drafts. 

The fact that you have to be so unbalanced in drafting means you have failed badly on picks on that side of the ball.

• Upvote 2