The next five years of QBs

I was having a conversation with a buddy on what QBs you’d take over Darnold for the next 5 years and beyond. Honestly there weren’t too many.

AFC East

Brady? Who knows he’ll probably play another 5

rosen nope

allen nope 

AFC South

Luck - Yes

Mariotta Nope

Foles Nope

Watson Maybe? Lean towards Darnold

AFC North

Ben Nope

lamar nope

Dalton nope

Baker coin flip btwn him and sam

AFC West 

Mahomes Yes

Rivers nope 

Locke Nope 

Carr Nope

NFC East 

Jones nope

Dak nope 

wentz Maybe? Injuries are a concern 

Haskins Nope

NFC South

Cam nope

Winston nope

Ryan nope

Brees won’t last 5 years

NFC North

Rodgers Give him a yes out of respect

Stafford Nope 

Trubisky Nope

Cousins nope 

NFC West 

Goff Maybe?

Russel Wilson give him a yes 

Jimmy G Nope

Murry Na taken Sam over him

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I was having a conversation with a buddy on what QBs you’d take over Darnold for the next 5 years and beyond. Honestly there weren’t too many.

AFC East

rosen nope

allen nope 

AFC South

Luck - Yes

Mariotta Nope

Foles Nope

AFC North

Ben Nope

lamar nope

Dalton nope

AFC West 

Mahomes Yes

Rivers nope 

Locke Nope 

Carr Nope

NFC East 

Jones nope

Dak nope 

Haskins Nope

NFC South

Cam nope

Winston nope

Ryan nope

Brees won’t last 5 years

NFC North

Stafford Nope 

Trubisky Nope

Cousins nope 

NFC West 

Goff Maybe?

Jimmy G Nope

Darnold is (or will be) a better QB than Goff. 

• Upvote 4

While it's a fair point, there's a whole bunch of those nopes that are dependent entirely on age, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but the flip side to that is those teams will soon be finding their replacements with the next set of franchise QBs in the coming years, so who knows how that will all really work out with those next guys compared to Darnold.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Darnold fan and excited about his future, but there's still plenty for him to do.  While he has crazy amounts of potential, there are a number of the guys on that list, even among the younger crowd, who have proven more than he has to date.  Here's hoping he proves to be better than every single one of them, but certainly not there yet.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wayyyy too early in Sam's career for this. Year 5 and beyond to can better evaluate over these younger QB's like Watson, Goff, Wentz, Trubitsky. Cant wait for Reg Season to begin

If you had to do a draft today to start your franchise. Which QBs would you take over Sam. That was the point of the exercise. I understand it’s early in his career

• Upvote 3

It’s too early to say on a lot of these QBs. 

Darnold is part of a group of 10 young QBs that are still TBD.

But I also would only take Mahomes, Rodgers, Ryan, and Luck over him for the next 5 years.

Of the 10 guys that are still finding their way, I would only take Baker ahead of Darnold. I liked Baker better coming out of college and he had an excellent rookie year. Darnold has shown me a ton though. So that gap is close. This season will be a big tell.

42 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Can I please bitch about Mayfield not being a clear "yes". 

Or is this where Im supposed to act like a Jets fan? 

?

Baker 24.... Sam turns 22 June 5th. 

Baker college career 5 years 2013 - 2018 (2014 ineligible to play transferring to Ok.)

Sam Red-shirted Freshman yr. Started 2017 & 2018. 

Baker has more game experience and leadership chops than Sam at this point in his young career.... but as much as I like Baker, I still take Sam.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Baker 24.... Sam turns 22 June 5th. 

Baker college career 5 years 2013 - 2018 (2014 ineligible to play transferring to Ok.)

Sam Red-shirted Freshman yr. Started 2017 & 2018. 

Baker has more game experience and leadership chops than Sam at this point in his young career.... but as much as I like Baker, I still take Sam.

Sam will be top 10 in the league within 2 to 3 years and he wont hit his prime for like another 8 years. You take him for that fact alone

• Upvote 3

Sam looked great over the final quarter of the 2018 season when the Jets still had few playmakers and mediocre coaching (at best).  The expectation is that 3 things improved for him going into 2019 - Better playmakers, Better Offensive coaching, A year of experience under his belt.

The sky is the limit for Darnold.  We all saw what he's capable of when things are going well on offense.  If he syncs with Gase and this new scheme then I would not be shocked if Darnold is a Top 8 NFL QB by the 2021 season.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

AFC East

rosen nope

allen nope 

AFC South

Luck - Yes

Mariotta Nope

Foles Nope

AFC North

Ben Nope

lamar nope

Dalton nope

AFC West 

Mahomes Yes

Rivers nope 

Locke Nope 

Carr Nope

NFC East 

Jones nope

Dak nope 

Haskins Nope

NFC South

Cam nope

Winston nope

Ryan nope

Brees won’t last 5 years

NFC North

Stafford Nope 

Trubisky Nope

Cousins nope 

NFC West 

Goff Maybe?

Jimmy G Nope

Luck's arm strength looks dodgy to me.  Goff showed me he was a robot in t he SB.

• Upvote 1

Sam is arguably already the 2nd best QB the Jets have ever had.  Jets fans (myself included) cannot comprehend consistent Jets QB play at his soon to be level.  

All of the other team drama is nothing as long as Sam is happy. 

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Gotta be honest. I’ve seen Watson enough in his young career and I don’t like how scared he gets when he has pressure on him. He tends to tuck and run a bit too much, has a little bit of Dak-itis where he throws well before the 1st down even on 3rd down. He’s very panicky and easily shaken but on the flip side he IS a tremendous arm talent. 

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Sam looked great over the final quarter of the 2018 season when the Jets still had few playmakers and mediocre coaching (at best).  The expectation is that 3 things improved for him going into 2019 - Better playmakers, Better Offensive coaching, A year of experience under his belt.

The sky is the limit for Darnold.  We all saw what he's capable of when things are going well on offense.  If he syncs with Gase and this new scheme then I would not be shocked if Darnold is a Top 8 NFL QB by the 2021 season.

There’s a name for this post, it’s called EVIDENCE.

So along with what’s stated here there is video evidence of Darnold making some of the sickest throws imaginable, even under duress, even with very lackluster “talent” surrounding him.

Sky is the limit for Darnold.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

There’s a name for this post, it’s called EVIDENCE.

So along with what’s stated here there is video evidence of Darnold making some of the sickest throws imaginable, even under duress, even with very lackluster “talent” surrounding him.

Sky is the limit for Darnold.

When you have the quick processor to pick apart the defense, you can make jaw dropping tight window throws AND you can move around really well and throw outside the pocket?

boy....you have one dreamy combination of good QB traits.

Darnold can be absolutely great and I think we have the team to help him show it now...(with the exception that the OL still needs work in the coming years)

• Upvote 1

If talking about the future of the QB position you’d have to include names like Tua, Lawrence, and Herbert. All those guys could be big time players who ascend to the top of the league for the QB position. Bottom line is that Darnold should and could be a top 5 qb for years to come in this league 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

When you have the quick processor to pick apart the defense, you can make jaw dropping tight window throws AND you can move around really well and throw outside the pocket?

boy....you have one dreamy combination of good QB traits.

Darnold can be absolutely great and I think we have the team to help him show it now...(with the exception that the OL still needs work in the coming years)

I guess that’s why Romo called him “the next Peyton Manning” (he actually is a way better athlete and definitely has a stronger arm than Manning in my mind, it’s how close Darnold can match Manning cerebrally is the question) and the “best QB in the NFL within a few years” and was clear to note his projection had a lot to do with Darnold’s “spatial perception” gift coupled of course with the physical and mental talents, which few QBs even at the highest level (the spatial perception) of the NFL have.

I still am having a difficult time understanding how the Jets lucked into this kid.

Anyone who saw the comeback he led against Penn St in the Rose Bowl could see this is a “generational” QB.

Thank you again Dave Gettleman.  I don’t know, I feel I have a need to say that every day.

• Upvote 4

At this point, I still see Brett Favre when I look at Sam.   There's good and bad that comes with that, and so far, I think Darnold shows both sides of that coin.  Overall, there are far worse comps to have pinned to you.  Maybe he grows into a Peyton type of player.  Maybe not.  But I'll take it either way!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I guess that’s why Romo called him “the next Peyton Manning” (he actually is a way better athlete and definitely has a stronger arm than Manning in my mind, it’s how close Darnold can match Manning cerebrally is the question) and the “best QB in the NFL within a few years” and was clear to note his projection had a lot to do with Darnold’s “spatial perception” gift coupled of course with the physical and mental talents, which few QBs even at the highest level (the spatial perception) of the NFL have.

Peyton's passion, dedication, preparation, and ability to transform everything in his mind into tangible results on the field far exceeds anything I've ever seen from any athlete at the highest level in any sport - and all of it was done without super-natural athletic ability.

Sam is already a more gifted athlete. If he can adapt even 80% of the cerebral aspects of Peyton's game, he'll be a top 5 QB in the league for many many years. The below excerpt gives me great optimism.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/27/adam-gase-new-york-jets-cj-mosley-nfl-combine-jerry-jones-cowboys-contracts?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com

Darnold’s work ethic has jumped out. To get the offense down, the second-year quarterback has devoured tape of Gase’s offense from the last six years—Denver to Chicago to Miami. And that got his coach’s attention.

“When you watch him just throw, anyone can watch him throw and go, ‘that guy can throw the football,’” Gase said. “I think the side that I didn’t know as much, and I’ve seen it since I’ve been here, is how competitive he is as far as learning football.  He wants to be as good as he can be. He wants to be a great player. And you can tell by his work ethic, that’s what he wants to do. He’s not just talking the talk.”

As you might imagine, a lot of that study, with all due respect to Ryan Tannehill and Jay Cutler, has led to Darnold to one place. “He asks a lot of questions about Peyton [Manning], obviously,” Gase says. And it’s everything from how Manning handles himself/the offense at the line to what Manning would ask in meetings, all the way down to how Manning would take notes.

“He watches a lot of the old stuff—he’s watched a lot of Peyton’s stuff,” Gase said. “He’s watched almost all of our cut-ups. The good thing is we’ve got a pretty healthy library of examples … He’s watched so much of it he can bring up certain plays from different seasons to where he’ll ask a question—hey, what made him do this? Or why did he think this way? He’s really gone through a lot of this stuff already.”

Gase hasn’t talked to Manning since January, so no Manning/Darnold summit has been arranged. But, he says, “If it ends up happening, that’s great. Hopefully I can eventually. I just try not to bug Peyton too much. I feel like I’ve asked enough of him already throughout my career.”

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Having arguably the best rookie season of any QB in NFL history, was a top 10-12 QB as a rookie statistically and will probably be top 100 best players in the league isnt clear. 

I love you guys. :-)

Yeah, one whole season on a good team with better offensive talent.  Hes good but one its one year.  Proves nothing about who will be better in a year, two or three.  Nothing is clear about how they will continue to develop.  Nothing is clear about how hes better than Darnold.  Hes not bigger, stronger, doesnt have a better arm.  They both showed a lot.

I wouldnt trade Darnold for Baker.  But thats me.  Want to find someone to love, go to the Browns forum, I's sure you'll find lots of love for your Baker

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, one whole season on a good team with better offensive talent.  Hes good but one its one year.  Proves nothing about who will be better in a year, two or three.  Nothing is clear about how they will continue to develop.  Nothing is clear about how hes better than Darnold.  Hes not bigger, stronger, doesnt have a better arm.  They both showed a lot.

I wouldnt trade Darnold for Baker.  But thats me.  

He’s more accurate, with a stronger arm and better stats at all levels of play up to this point. Mayfield is better than Darnold but that’s doesn’t mean Darnold isn’t a great prospect. He’s just not Mayfield who was just the best rookie thrower of the football ever.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s more accurate, with a stronger arm and better stats at all levels of play up to this point. Mayfield is better than Darnold but that’s doesn’t mean Darnold isn’t a great prospect. He’s just not Mayfield who was just the best rookie thrower of the football ever.

Stronger arm? They both have more than enough arm, no advantage to anyone and Baker doesn't have a stronger arm.  

Better numbers yes.  One year, I'm not making any predictions as to careers.  And still wouldnt trade Darnold for him. Or ever thinking he was better than Marino as a rookie.

Thats me

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I wouldnt trade Darnold for Baker.  But thats me.  Want to find someone to love, go to the Browns forum, I's sure you'll find lots of love for your Baker

Hey, im not the one who decided to even make the comparison 1 year into Sam's career. 

As for offensive talent, that's a lame excuse show me a QB he said yes to that didnt have more offensive talent than the Jets.

Love you guys ?

Oh, and stop telling me to go to the Browns forum. You're going to just have to deal with me talking football here. ?

There's a TON of Mahomes fans on this site, and they make sure to remind us how terrible Jamal is everyday on this site. So suck it up

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Oh, and stop telling me to go to the Browns forum. You're going to just have to deal with me talking football here. ?

You want to pimp Baker?  Go for it.  But you want to add, "I love you guys" to Jets fans on a jet board that don't share your man crush, go to the Browns forum to find lots of fans who agree with you.  Don't get that or understand why I said it, too bad, that's on you.

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You want to pimp Baker?  Go for it.  But you want to add, "I love you guys" to Jets fans on a jet board that don't share your man crush, go to the Browns forum to find lots of fans who agree with you.  Don't get that or understand why I said it, too bad, that's on you.

You are so emotional. Lol

Actually it's on you since I will remain here. Your emotions wont change that. 

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You are so emotional. Lol

Actually it's on you since I will remain here. Your emotions wont change that. 

Emotional?  You're the one defending a player who plays for another team.  I'm emotional though because I need more than one season to say who will have the better career.  Never said one will definitely be better, just I wouldn't make the trade.  But your not the emotional one, I am.

Just like you complained that a key fan on a jet board isn't sold on one over another and recommended you discuss with fellow Browns fans.

But I'm emotional.  Lol