The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

18 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

From same reporter before the 2018 draft....

just read the replies on Twitter. Apparently this guy is as popular there as Maneesh is here. They hate the guy. Baker ended a PC this season saying "Jesus, Tony..." to his question, then walking out. Fans are using that as a battle cry to have Grossi gone for good.

When I read he is 5'7" tall, I couldn't stop laughing at the irony of him calling Baker a "f-ing midget".

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:51 AM, 14 in Green said:

just read the replies on Twitter. Apparently this guy is as popular there as Maneesh is here. They hate the guy. Baker ended a PC this season saying "Jesus, Tony..." to his question, then walking out. Fans are using that as a battle cry to have Grossi gone for good.

When I read he is 5'7" tall, I couldn't stop laughing at the irony of him calling Baker a "f-ing midget".

Maybe he’s self-loathing?

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...

https://www.nfl.com/news/baker-mayfield-browns-time-to-do-our-thing-instead-of-talking-about-it

Mayfield: Browns' time 'to do our thing instead of talking about it'

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Baker Mayfield spoke for the first time this offseason Wednesday, and it wasn't by mistake.

Mayfield has intentionally remained quiet in the months following the most disappointing Browns season in over a decade. None of these Browns are prancing about and asking for attention during this offseason, an approach that would've been likely even if the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic didn't happen.

They're still busy getting the bitter taste of humble pie out of their mouths.

"Everybody that has been interviewed on our team has kind of hit the nail on the head over and over about, it's time to work," Mayfield told reporters Wednesday. "It's time to do our thing instead of talking about it.

"I guess this is the first media thing I've done just because there's no need to be talking about it, it's just time to go do it. And right now it's kind of moving in silence, which is fine with me. That's how I used to do it before getting on a bigger stage, so I'm happy to get back to those roots, and like I said earlier, get back to the fundamentals to where I can accomplish the goals for when the season comes around."

About this time last year, all the Browns did was talk. There was Mayfield's interview with ESPN, including accompanying photos of the quarterback leading a pack of dogs on leashes, and his photoshoot with a tiger. There was Damarious Randall's bold proclamation that those Browns were good enough to go from just talking playoffs to talking Super Bowl. There was even the receiving duo of Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated, which proclaimed the Browns were "back".

The Browns' media day meetings featured visits from all three major networks carrying NFL football, with each outlet occupying space in or near the team's Berea headquarters for production shoots and the like. It was a media madhouse for a team that typically doesn't get visited by more than one of the outlets, let alone three. A lot of what was shot by the in-house media team on that day was never used (or at least used often), as the team fell incredibly short of its expectations. Visions of touchdown dances and euphoric seas of orange and brown never came to life.

In a few short months, the Browns went from lovable losers to a promising bunch to a team about which most of the country was tired of hearing. When they faltered, the rest of the league reveled in their failure. The Browns had no one but themselves to blame for the negative noise, either -- they'd repeatedly asked for the attention.

They're doing the opposite this time around, focusing instead on installing and learning new coach Kevin Stefanski's offense (under the direction of offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt), getting healthy and preparing to take a measured, consistent and hopefully productive approach to the 2020 season. Some analysts have wisely pointed out that folks shouldn't forget about the Browns just because they went down in a ball of flames last season; they're still just as talented, if not more. It's just they aren't leading the A block of programming on major sports networks this time around.

It sounds as if Mayfield, the quarterback whose confidence sometimes borders on cocky, prefers to stay out of the spotlight. He has a new reason to believe doubters again exist. He needn't look further than the Browns' schedule -- and to their division rivals in Maryland.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Time to sit back and watch everyone rip Mayfield for saying he wants to keep quiet, and focus on playing well and winning football games.

Let the fun begin.... :hap:

Only took him 7 years of saying and doing endlessly stupid things in college and the pros to finally recognize this.  

Let's see how well he sticks to this script when the team opens up with a Week 1 blowout loss against the Ravens.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Only took him 7 years of saying and doing endlessly stupid things in college and the pros to finally recognize this.  

Let's see how well he sticks to this script when the team opens up with a Week 1 blowout loss against the Ravens.

Well he gave the Ravens one of their two regular season losses last season, but if that happens Week 1, hopefully Baker handles it as well as Darnold did late last year when it happened to him against Baltimore.

• Thumb Down 1

Kevin Stefanski is a friend of a friend (I'll just leave it at that).  Kevin Stefanski won't be putting up with the Baker Mayfield bullsh*t show, that's for damn sure.  I expect this guy to be out of the league entirely in 3-4 years.  Waste of a pick.  Adios.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, southtown24th said:

Kevin Stefanski is a friend of a friend (I'll just leave it at that).  Kevin Stefanski won't be putting up with the Baker Mayfield bullsh*t show, that's for damn sure.  I expect this guy to be out of the league entirely in 3-4 years.  Waste of a pick.  Adios.

If it comes down to Baker or Stefanski in Cleveland (with apology to Tony Montana) say goodbye to your little friend.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Not if we get more of 2019 Baker as opposed to 2018 Baker.  QBs can only kill off coaches if they're worth their salt.  

As we learned this week in the CBS article, Mayfield is a "QB you can win with" btw you can also do it with a RB at QB apparently, so if Stefanski can't win with him he's gone. ?

In all seriousness though, I think Stefanski will be really good, and I love the fact he ran more 2 TE formations than anyone last year, so the Hooper signing was huge. He got a bunch of the WRs to go down to Dallas to work out with Baker last week.

It's May, so who knows, but the Browns getting rid of Kitchens as quickly as they did, and hiring Stefanski looks like a great move.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

You, also, want to know why you're wrong? Andrew Berry didn't draft Baker...start there...

You’re trying way too hard here, and you’re coming off sounding ridiculous, lol.

As far as the Berry thing... If that’s where you want to “start”, I guess Sam should be getting ready to pack his bags also. Douglas and Gase didn’t draft HIM did they? They drafted Taylor, amirite? Uh oh.

See what I did there? I made up some dumb sh*t just like you did and just posted it like it was true. It’s not that hard to do.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Time to sit back and watch everyone rip Mayfield for saying he wants to keep quiet, and focus on playing well and winning football games.

You are misunderstanding the "fun" part.  The fun begins when big mouth Baker does the opposite of his proclamation by the end of week 1.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have a feeling his new “philosophy” won’t last ? 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Wow you got those pompoms out early for your hero the glorified Case Keenum

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You are setting yourself up to ridicule.  Baker is going to talk ? and do stupid things. Doing that isn't out of character for him, it is the real Baker. To think he is suddenly going to be Cally cool like Darnold is not reality. Personally I think Bakers way is ok as long as you back it up but as you can see, Baker couldn't  even stop himself from talking about not talking.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, More Cowbell said:

You are setting yourself up to ridicule.  Baker is going to talk ? and do stupid things. Doing that isn't out of character for him, it is the real Baker. To think he is suddenly going to be Cally cool like Darnold is not reality. Personally I think Bakers way is ok as long as you back it up but as you can see, Baker couldn't  even stop himself from talking about not talking.  

I agree with you 100%, he probably will. That's the way he is.

It's in Mayfield's DNA to be brash, just like Darnold's is more laid back, or as you say, "Cali cool." When I read the article @Jetsfan80 posted here, I took it as Mayfield admitting he and the rest of his team got caught up in the hype last year, and he wasn't going to let that happen this year. Whether it does or not, who knows?

Personalities rarely change, people are who they are. I don't expect Baker to lose his cocky attitude, nor do I expect Sam to start acting like that. I think Mayfield was saying he's going to tune out the outside noise. I don't think it would be wise for him to be anyone but who he is on the field however.

I'm probably not explaining this very well, so let me try this.

I love to play golf. My personality is very aggressive, and I tend to move and talk very quickly. My golf swing matches my personality, I have a very fast tempo, and I play very aggressively on the course. My buddy and I score about the same, but he's a quiet, soft spoken person. His tempo, and game reflects that. His action is very slow and deliberate and he plays conservatively. That works for him. Neither way is wrong, yet if either of us tried to play the way the other did, our games would suffer.

Look I don’t sugarcoat it I don’t like Baker on a personal level.  I never liked the brash personality type.  It’s just not for me and when I played sports I was more reserved and let my play do the talking.  Now I do think Mayfield is talented. However I never felt his ceiling was that high.  He was the most QB ready coming out of the draft compared to Sam and Allen but I think it was because he a couple years older and more experience.  I mean last year was an eye opening experience because he had more hype than anyone coming into year 2 along with a Ton of talent around him and he took a big step back.  Maybe that was just a down year but who knows.  I’m not gonna blame Kitchens just like I’m not blaming Gase.  We shall see 

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2019 at 9:35 AM, Legend Killa7 said:

THIS is the type of crap that drives me nuts.  will Mayfield be better than Darnold?  maybe, maybe not.  But man, I would not want this crap on my team!  so sick of years upon years of crap like this on our Jets.  Could you EVER see Darnold doing anything like this?  I mean the guy is borderline boring to be quite honest!!!

they try to mic him up during practice and you fall asleep!!  LOL

but yeah Mayfield...and just wait till OBJ gets going...

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

If it comes down to Baker or Stefanski in Cleveland (with apology to Tony Montana) say goodbye to your little friend.

Would love it if the browns fired a fifth coach in three years as a result of Baker being Baker, but his second GM in three years won’t let it happen. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

Would love it if the browns fired a fifth coach in three years as a result of Baker being Baker, but his second GM in three years won’t let it happen. 

Don't put it past their owner.

I don't remember where I read it, (probably SI) but since he bought the team Haslam has fired a ton of HCs. In the article he and his wife talked about how embarrassed they had become about it, and vowed to stop interfering with the FO. I think it's been 4 new coaches in the 3 years since.

You guys are right when you say the organization is a dumpster fire. Right now the team of DePodesta, Berry and Stefanski looks solid... lets see how long THEY last.

20 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You’re trying way too hard here, and you’re coming off sounding ridiculous, lol.

As far as the Berry thing... If that’s where you want to “start”, I guess Sam should be getting ready to pack his bags also. Douglas and Gase didn’t draft HIM did they? They drafted Taylor, amirite? Uh oh.

See what I did there? I made up some dumb sh*t just like you did and just posted it like it was true. It’s not that hard to do.

Douglas and Gase drafted Taylor?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

damn the redneck riviera really produces some winners.

settle down texas pete.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

damn the redneck riviera really produces some winners.

settle down texas pete.

Not bad, I got a chuckle out of this post, so consider this me giving you the last word.

@Jets723 seems to be a big fan of yours also, so you've got the weasel stamp of approval thing going for you too.

Baker makes me appreciate Sam darnold even more.

Way too many soundbites, too much spotlight. Granted, it doesn't affect his 'game'...and its kind of what he's done throughout his career, but he's playing for a crappy, underachieving franchise...at least win a few more games, bro. I feel like he's set up to fail.

I actually liked his game in college, i never thought of him as a potential bust. Then again, i get the impression that he's a 'good when the goings good' type of quarterback. What if its not good? All the media appearances and commercials are great, but how's he gonna keep everyone happy? If you allow them to build you up, you allow them to knock you down.

Unless he wants to be the next tim tebow, and parlay a short-term NFL gig into a career as a TV talking-head. If that's the case, he's doing great.