Expectations

A realistic expectation for me is 7-9. Most of these posts point out that the Jets are better, and they're right, but not enough to transform this team. They have a few good pieces, but they also have gaping holes at corner and Center, they are paper thin in that there are no suitable replacements if a starter is lost to injury, and the second half schedule is tough. 2020 is the year when we should be expecting playoffs.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

.500 is the minimum expectation.  Even with a below average Center, weak CB2 (and potentially CB1), I'm with @Warfish when he says, "we should expect .500 in this modern made-for-mediocrity league."  In fact, I'd probably feel a slight bit of disappointment with .500.  I'd hope than in a division with a weak Miami team, a rebuilding Buffalo team (similar to the Jets with offseason upgrades this year), and an older and weaker New England team (no Gronk) the Jets could find a way to go 4-2.  They would then just need to go 5-5 against everyone else to get to 9-7.

In fact, you can point to 3 or 4 games last year that were very winnable and the Jets just couldn't close out or find a way to seize.  GB, Miami, Titans, Browns, etc. were all winnable games and this team could have had 6 or 7 wins last year.  I don't think it's a big jump to say 9 wins is a fair expectation.

I’d consider 8-8 as a minimal and disappointing season. I’m expecting at least 9-11 wins this year. I think we’re going to see a different Jets. They got some holes to fill but not anything that any other team has to deal with as well. Jets have a  good mix of young talent and vets. 

Its gonna be a good ride this year.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Losmeister said:

expectations? the team is watchable...

Fixed and good point it has been over 6 years since this team was enjoyable to watch for most of the season, even a hard fought loss should be watchable - 4th quarter collapses, forfeit punting, prevent defense, afraid offense, laughable coaching decisions and screw ups on the field, etc... all need to leave the Jets

The 10 win season was fun since it was a bubble of fresh air in a septic tank but still had a few terrible wins (Jets tried to lose but other team tried harder) and embarrassing losses including the "win and in" game to end the season

IMHO, for this team to be a SB contender before Sam breaks the bank, they need to be in the playoffs this year to be serious contenders the year or two after... Chiefs are ready in Mahomes 3rd year, Rams might have peaked to soon and missed their chance (see Falcons, Panthers), Colts are up and coming, maybe Browns too, Saints and pats* will be there - window will be open for Jets

The challenge is the Draft did not help 2019 at all and will probably go down as one of the worst Jets draft classes in the Mac era (QW replaces LW and maybe one of the other picks overcomes injuries/conditioning and becomes a player, right now it's a mash unit) only good thing to come of the draft is the front office was cleaned out and significantly upgraded as a result...

All of that said, my expectation is to be in 14 of 16 games with a chance to win (enjoyable to watch win or lose), bad bounces and getting screwed by the refs will happen (so will a clunker game) but multiple double digit (embarrassing) losses will highlight glaring weaknesses that other teams will feed on (especially in the playoffs)

We need Sam to prove he is the franchise but it takes more than that for a Lombardi

• Upvote 1

It's playoff berth or bust for me. Whether that's 8-8 or 12-4, I just want a shot to win the whole thing in the winter months. I expect Sam to take a big leap this season. Yes, there will be some ups and downs, especially being as thin as we are at CB and C/G. But honestly, with the new pieces we added, the new coaching staff/front office, the new uniforms, and shift in the culture itself, it just feels like it's time to take a jump. 

17 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

A realistic expectation for me is 7-9. Most of these posts point out that the Jets are better, and they're right, but not enough to transform this team. They have a few good pieces, but they also have gaping holes at corner and Center, they are paper thin in that there are no suitable replacements if a starter is lost to injury, and the second half schedule is tough. 2020 is the year when we should be expecting playoffs.

I think our offense is going to be really good

Our pass defense is going to stink

I'm really looking forward to opening day against the Bills.  I think that will be very telling.  I view the Bills as an up and coming team who, like us, upgraded their team this offseason.  I don't think (or hope) Josh Allen will be able to exploit our defense (read: secondary) as Brady, Ben or others will be able to do.  Gase and Williams should have these guys besides themselves to start the season (as will the Bills coaches) so it will be telling.

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

I'm really looking forward to opening day against the Bills.  I think that will be very telling.  I view the Bills as an up and coming team who, like us, upgraded their team this offseason.  I don't think (or hope) Josh Allen will be able to exploit our defense (read: secondary) as Brady, Ben or others will be able to do.  Gase and Williams should have these guys besides themselves to start the season (as will the Bills coaches) so it will be telling.

Bills scare me a little bit.  They are better in the trenches than we are and Allen can get a lot of yards with his legs and we have zero pass rush

On 6/18/2019 at 1:03 PM, Warfish said:

I expect .500 and would say we (fans) should accept no less.

We're materially better at almost every spot of weakness, we have a roster as talented as any other .500-type team, we have a new Coach our fans think is a genius QB whisperer, we have a better D-Co, we added a stud RB, an All-Pro LB, a "best in draft class" DT and a (according to some fans) potentially elite Edge guy.

We're weak at CB, presuming our very well paid #1 CB doesn't bounce back.  And our O-line isn't the greatest, despite two potentially solid improvements from Oakland and the draft. 

We should expect .500 in this modern made-for-mediocrity league.

It's funny, we have so many fans loudly proclaiming how great every move is, then when asked about expectations they suddenly back right off and start making mealy mouthed excuses for why shucks, this year will be so hard, and we can't expect much, and no talent still, and etc, etc, etc, on the way to declaring a 5 win season a "success" for Gase.....

.500 or we failed, period.  IMO, of course. 

Exactly. Douglas deserves at least one full offseason to clean up macs big mess.. 

49 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Exactly. Douglas deserves at least one full offseason to clean up macs big mess.. 

I don't think this roster is a "mess" nor is our cap position a "mess".

That's not to say that Douglas won't/shouldn't get time to make his mark on the team, but looking at 2019, and this roster, and saying "well, Douglas needs time" when discussing 2019 expectations is a bit silly to me.  

We're a pretty good roster today, with only a few real weak spots (CB primarily).  We should compete.

• Upvote 1

I do not expect a losing record. 8-8 or better. 

Gase is supposed to be a better overall coach than Bowles along with being offensive-minded.

I personally love the Greg Williams hire as he is clearly better than Kacey Rogers given his resume. 

Also, as the initial post suggests, we have our franchise QB. So Darnold should field a better product than any QB who's started for this team since Penny.

The Jets spent over $150 million in free agency to get guys like C.J. Mosley, the best MLB we've had since Marvin Jones or David Harris. And LeVeon Bell, the best RB threat we've had since "my favorite" Martin. 

We've drafted who may be considered the next big defensive lineman to come out of college since Aaron Darnold along with a 1st round talent by some in the 3rd round in Polite.

If we have a losing record in any way, this season is a failure. We have better coaching, a franchise QB, splurged in free agency and guy a top guy in the draft. 

That needs to translate on the field, period.

This is an interesting topic, with many layers. 

Coach: I've maintained that Bowles was probably one of the worst coaches in the league for the past few years, right there with Jeff Fisher/Hue Jackson.  

It's not the game plans that bothered me, because there is only so much you can do with Petty/Hackenberg/Fitz on offense, but rather the lack of control in the locker room.  Bowles was essentially the substitute teacher that got promoted, and didn't understand the long game.  He let the players run wild, and pretty much everyone took a step back.  

I remember reading how Wilkerson was one of the most respected players locker room wise under Rex (taking Sheldon under his wing), and then he does a complete 180 under Bowles.  Ditto with Richardson, with how he went from promising to average.  We saw Fitzpatrick bash the coach, after throwing about 11 interceptable passes in one of the worst QB performances ever.  Marshall fighting.  Geno/IK.  No QB development at all.  I know everyone hates Hack around here, but I remember the quotes after he was drafted, saying he was basically getting a redshirt year, and they did absolutely nothing with his mechanics.  He sucks, but you take a redshirt year or any time off to work on specific things, not sit and watch the game.  Look at Aaron Rodgers delivery from Cal and when he first started, and the difference in loading points.  Granted, he had more time, but it just shows a head coach that just didn't have an idea on how to develop talent.  He acquired a loaded Arizona defense and kept it good, but they didn't struggle after he left either.  

The upgrade from Bowles to Gase is twofold, at least in my view.  One, there will be accountability because that was one of the reasons why guys like Ajayi, Landry, and Suh were let go from Miami.  You can't have certain stars run the team, unless they completely produce on the field.  Yeah, Tom Brady can yell at his coaches, and no one will care because he's Tom Brady.  If guys performing at an average level starts to run the team, then accountability goes out the window.  

Two, Gase's offense is miles ahead of what the Jets were throwing out there recently.  The amount of easy throws and reads for the QB is staggering.  I don't think I've seen a good offensive system since Gailey left.  He actually had a plan to develop young QBs because his system allowed for reads at the line of scrimmage to cut down the field.  He would have consistent mirror routes, and the QB would just have to look at one side based on pre-snap reads.  A lot of teams do this to ease their QBs in.  The Rams do this with Goff, where they get to the line of scrimmage, and then base their QB plans on what the defense is showing.  It's why the Patriots were extraordinary at disguising coverage in the SB and it flustered Goff.  Gase runs a better system than Gailey, but he also builds in easy reads that aren't overly complicated.  The last two OCs made me think of the function video games had in the past, where you could create your own play.  You would never create a simple crossing route, but rather an elaborate route tree or run scheme reverse because that's how you stood apart from the playbook (or in OC's case, other OCs),

Weapons:  Last year's offense was lacking because it just didn't have weapons that actually threatened a defense.  This year's offense has more weapons, but it's not the Bucs either.  I think the key addition is really Crowder because he is the safety valve over the middle, and Gase loves to use that constantly.  

You can't win in this league consistently if your team doesn't force the defense to abandon base defense.  Last year, it was safety over the top for Anderson and daring folks to beat you.  This year, I think teams will have more difficult choices to make.  

Darnold:  A second year leap from him should go a long way, especially with the pre-snap reads.  He already has shown good ability to make reads, but if he can understand the system better, then the offense can really shine.  I gotta dig deeper on Darnold, but I'll get into that later.  

Defense:  I have no idea.  Williams relies on good CB play, and we don't have good CB play.  Good news: Kacey Rodgers picked plays out of a hat, so at least there will be a plan.   

• Upvote 3

On 6/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, Philc1 said:

Bills scare me a little bit.  They are better in the trenches than we are and Allen can get a lot of yards with his legs and we have zero pass rush

Having a ton of BUFF fans as buddies and I actually know the GM I can tell you they are not afraid of the JETS and believe they will be the dominant team moving forward. 

54 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

9-7

2 Wins with NO Bowles, 2 Wins because Darnold 

I see us going 10-6 as well possibly.

no... I haven’t had a drink yet. 

I think it’s underestimated how bad Bowles was. The team lost games with fourth quarter leads all the time. It was depressing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I think 8-8 is realistic +- a game depending on injuries/coaches/luck/Darnold.

This team has a lot less talent than people claim we have, and everyone is learning new schemes.  It will likely take time to gel.

But I agree with the poster above who said that at the end of the day, its all about Darnold.   Bad QB play can lose a lot of winnable games in a hurry, and is the main difference between the W/L between the 2017 and 2018 squads (the much maligned McCown had a much better season than Darnold's rookie year).

I have a good deal of faith that he is going to show some serious progress, and will push us into the playoff discussion.  A lot will depend on how good our new schemes are.  Last year's offense was just completely embarrassing.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Having a ton of BUFF fans as buddies and I actually know the GM I can tell you they are not afraid of the JETS and believe they will be the dominant team moving forward. 

Being afraid of the Jets would be silly. 

Jets had a few big money additions, but we've seen those sorts of things bust before (see: Johnson, Trumaine). It really comes down to Darnold and whether or not that last month of the season was a launching point for things to come. And for the Bills, Allen, who definitely appears to have a lot further to go. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I think it’s underestimated how bad Bowles was. The team lost games with fourth quarter leads all the time. It was depressing.

I’ll never understand how or why he was so soft on his players. He came in with the rep of being a no-nonsense tough guy and, almost immediately, allowed himself to get steamrolled with zero pushback. 

• Upvote 2

Having expectations for the upcoming season is tricky. New systems on offense and defense. No idea of what injuries we will have. No idea of how our schedule will play out.

Only expectations should be improvement for Darnold and being able to say at the end of the season, we definitely have our guy. Also, would like to be able to say we have competent coaching, and a core building for the short term future with a few added pieces.

what does that amount to from wins and losses? If it’s worse than 7-9, and not a lot of injuries, I’d say we had a disappointing season. 

• Upvote 1