CIMINI : HOW ADAM GASE WENT FROM ANNOYING LACKEY TO NFL HEAD COACH

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

Shame for cimini that he’s still an annoying lackey 

People trash him because of his snarky schtick.

Frankly, if any of us were around the Jets as much as he is... we probably would carry a similar attitude.  We certainly trash them enough around here.

Cimini is one of the best sportswriters in the country when he puts something together above the usual day to day stuff, IMO.

19 hours ago, Jetstream said:

This is the quote that most need to hear...feel like all the detractors say this...

"Everybody says, 'Oh, Peyton Manning, anybody can coach him,'" former Denver coach John Fox said. "Not really true. All quarterbacks want answers, and Adam did a fantastic job of giving him answers."

It's a nice quote and all but Peyton manning had many OC's and continually performed at an exceptionally high level.   Like Gase or not but he should NOT be ANY credit of Mannings success - which was late in his career.  It's not like he taught the guy.

19 hours ago, JiF said:

Meh, unless you're a former player or daddy's little boy, all these dudes start out the same way.  Impressive that Gase was able to make it to the top of the mountain but discouraging how ugly the fall was once he got there.  I hope it's different his second time around.  

he said that he had a troublesome owner and that he should hve done better. We know iami is one by an a$$hole.  Miami does not concern me.  He has good support here.  Most coach hires are a crapshoot

20 hours ago, JiF said:

Meh, unless you're a former player or daddy's little boy, all these dudes start out the same way.  Impressive that Gase was able to make it to the top of the mountain but discouraging how ugly the fall was once he got there.  I hope it's different his second time around.  

LOL

C'mon JiF, that's a bit dramatic no?  Guy was 23-25, not 9-23.  His starting QB missed 25 games.  Was replaced by Cutler (off the couch, lol) Osweiler, Matt Moore, and David Fales, all played games.

Last year Had 13 players end the season on IR, and was still in the playoff hunt until week 16.  In games decided by 8 points or less the Fish were 20-6.  (Not sure what that means, but it's a hell of an interesting stat LOL)

To say he failed is fair.  23-25 is in fact a losing record.  But "how ugly the fall was once he got there" is a bit silly. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/19/2019 at 10:49 AM, SAR I said:

greateight.jpg

It is happening.

SAR I

it sure seems like it.  the jets have made some nice moves player wise and in the front office.  of course the downside is all the players so far can be attributed to mac.  blind squirrel finding a nut?

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it sure seems like it.  the jets have made some nice moves player wise and in the front office.  of course the downside is all the players so far can be attributed to mac.  blind squirrel finding a nut?

or building a nut house?

On 7/19/2019 at 1:17 PM, Warfish said:

That sounds great.

I guess what I keep wondering is how much actual "coaching" DID Payton Manning require in his 16th and 17th years as a starting NFL QB, one well known for calling his own plays and doing his own thing.

If Peyton says alot, and he DOES admittedly give alot of happy talk when it comes to Gase, ok, that says something.  

Gase's career to-date is almost entirely working with long-established-as-starters, veteran QB's. 

Manning (in his 16th and 17th year) in 2013 and 2014.  He was a HOF'er when Gase got him, but did have his best production year with him.

Cutler (in his 10th year)) in 2015.  He had a long resume of similar-level success before Gase got him.

And Tannehill (in his 5th, 6th and 7th years) in 2016-2018.  His best years were all before Gase arrived, production wise at least.  He did win more with Gase than before, to be noted.

So the real question is how will Gase do with a non-veteran, extremely young QB with no real success yet in the league.  A QB to mold for himself?

It will be exciting to see, no matter how much you do or don't "have faith" in Gase himself.  Sam as a materially better potential talent than Tannehill or Cutler, although comparing his potential to manning is (IMO) a step too far, certainly at this point.

Interesting times ahead! :yahoo:

brady doesn't play as well without little joshy and he's been in the same system for nearly a generation.  i am not worried about what gase did or didn't do in miami.  by all account they are tanking that team and tannehill was never the solution at qb.

51 minutes ago, rangerous said:

The players can be attributed to Christopher Johnson. 

We have continuity and proven leadership.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

brady doesn't play as well without little joshy and he's been in the same system for nearly a generation.

What are you basing that claim on exactly?

Might want to relook at the numbers....

In any event, are you saying that Darnold is equal to Brady, making such a 1:1 comparison carry some value? 

If not, why compare Darnold to the GOAT QB in NFL history? 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, JiF said:

Fox alluded to it being "answers", hard to dissect specifically but if I had to guess?; he's probably referring to accountability for players being where they needed to be, down and distance tendencies of the D they were facing and maybe the off chance he had a presnap read wrong or went the wrong place with the ball and Gase was able to call it out on Ipad on the sidelines or in the meeting room.  Essentially, providing more of the situational awareness stuff that might not be as easy to keep track of while you're in the moment or having the balls to challenge one of the greatest of all time.  None of which actually made Peyton a better QB, per say, but more so putting the unit in position to succeed, which helped him have his best statistical season. 

Totally spitballing here...because I'm with you, it's hard for me to credit Gase for that job when Peyton was already Peyton.  

great post as I think you're spot on here.