Unofficial Depth Chart released

8 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

In my opinion -

Biggest Winner / Positive Surprise: Kyron Brown ahead of Perry Nickerson at CB

Biggest Loser / Negative Surprise: Trevon Wesco running with the scrubs at TE

I can't remember reading anything on Harvey Langl before?

Kyron Brown's ascendancy indicates that either we stole one as an UDFA, or our backups suck.  Possibly a bit of both.

Tim White as the backup to Robbie is interesting, ahead of Deonte Thompson.

I thought Langi was an ILB, so surprising to see him listed as the top backup on the outside behind Copeland. 

18 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

In my opinion -

Biggest Winner / Positive Surprise: Kyron Brown ahead of Perry Nickerson at CB

Biggest Loser / Negative Surprise: Trevon Wesco running with the scrubs at TE

Was just about to comment on this but you beat me to it. I will say though that I think the coaching staff has a very specific role planned for Wesco as a blocking TE and he has already shown he is proficient at that- not just in college but in practice. So he may be buried on the depth chart but he will be utilized more than we may think. 

11 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Also, I wonder how much base 3-4 they'll really play.  Because having Brandon Copeland on the field and Quinnen Williams on the bench for too many plays would be stupid.

This is where the 'official depth chart' is deceiving. Although I think QW will start off as a backup on the depth chart to McLendon, he will get a lot of snaps in a variety of different hybrid formations. I have no doubt we will see him in Dime formations on passing plays or 4-3 formations to stop the run, etc. because of his versatility. McLendon will start strictly because of his experience. 

I think you will see the same thing with Polite. He is 'buried' with the third stringers. However, we will probably see him used extensively on  3rd and longs and/or obvious pass plays.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Wide receiver too.

I don't really agree with this narrative. We've heard it throughout training camp from some of the fanbase but it's never really had much merit IMO. 

I mean let's just start by looking at it from a numbers perspective. Let's say the Jets carry 6 WRs (most likely b/c they will carry 4 RBs at least- might even be 5 RBs). Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Burnette. That's 4 WRs that are locks to make the roster. So that leaves 2 more WR spots. That's it. Dortch and White are young guys who have been tearing it up. Dortch in particular is a guy that has show he can also be an asset on special teams as a returner. Bellamy and Thompson are vets that have proven they can contribute on special teams and have also held their own in camp. So there are 4 backups who can contribute on special teams who I feel confident bringing in as the last two guys on the depth chart fighting for the last two spots. And I'm not mentioning some of the other guys who are special team contributors like JJ Jones, Peake and J.Smith. 

So as far as the numbers game, the depth at WR is good. The Jets have a lot of guys who can do a lot of different things. 

But what about talent and firepower? Well, yes, this is where the Jets are not top of the charts. If Robby goes down they lose one of their only deep threats and if Enunwa goes down they lose one of their only possession receivers. However, the Jets have so much versatility in the weapons they have across the board that it should cover up for some injuries that will undoubtedly come their way. They have multiple RBs that can catch, block and run. Especially having a Pro Bowl caliber RB in Bell will have defenses honoring his presence in the backfield. Herndon is a developing stud TE who can catch and block. Enunwa can play as a split end and is extremely physical but also has adequate speed that you have to honor his deep routes. Robby has shown late last season that he is far from a one trick pony and can do more than just run the go route. We have yet to see what Crowder can do in this offense but I think the possibilities as a slot receiver are endless. Darnold has a lot of weapons on this team that even if Robby or Enunwa go down, he should be fine utilizing other guys while someone like Burnette steps in as a backup in certain situations.

One thing I will say is that it would be good to see guys show that they can 1. take the next step and elevate their play and 2. stay healthy.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ryu79 said:

I can't remember reading anything on Harvey Langl before?

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Kyron Brown's ascendancy indicates that either we stole one as an UDFA, or our backups suck.  Possibly a bit of both.

Tim White as the backup to Robbie is interesting, ahead of Deonte Thompson.

I thought Langi was an ILB, so surprising to see him listed as the top backup on the outside behind Copeland. 

There was a bunch of chatter about Langi getting runs ahead of Polite.  

Where did this come from?  It seems like 

45 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't really agree with this narrative. We've heard it throughout training camp from some of the fanbase but it's never really had much merit IMO. 

I mean let's just start by looking at it from a numbers perspective. Let's say the Jets carry 6 WRs (most likely b/c they will carry 4 RBs at least- might even be 5 RBs). Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Burnette. That's 4 WRs that are locks to make the roster. So that leaves 2 more WR spots. That's it. Dortch and White are young guys who have been tearing it up. Dortch in particular is a guy that has show he can also be an asset on special teams as a returner. Bellamy and Thompson are vets that have proven they can contribute on special teams and have also held their own in camp. So there are 4 backups who can contribute on special teams who I feel confident bringing in as the last two guys on the depth chart fighting for the last two spots. And I'm not mentioning some of the other guys who are special team contributors like JJ Jones, Peake and J.Smith. 

So as far as the numbers game, the depth at WR is good. The Jets have a lot of guys who can do a lot of different things. 

But what about talent and firepower? Well, yes, this is where the Jets are not top of the charts. If Robby goes down they lose one of their only deep threats and if Enunwa goes down they lose one of their only possession receivers. However, the Jets have so much versatility in the weapons they have across the board that it should cover up for some injuries that will undoubtedly come their way. They have multiple RBs that can catch, block and run. Especially having a Pro Bowl caliber RB in Bell will have defenses honoring his presence in the backfield. Herndon is a developing stud TE who can catch and block. Enunwa can play as a split end and is extremely physical but also has adequate speed that you have to honor his deep routes. Robby has shown late last season that he is far from a one trick pony and can do more than just run the go route. We have yet to see what Crowder can do in this offense but I think the possibilities as a slot receiver are endless. Darnold has a lot of weapons on this team that even if Robby or Enunwa go down, he should be fine utilizing other guys while someone like Burnette steps in as a backup in certain situations.

One thing I will say is that it would be good to see guys show that they can 1. take the next step and elevate their play and 2. stay healthy.  

Burnett is a lock?  On what planet?  He is a 2018 UDFA that couldn't stick with the Titans and barely got run on a sh*tty team so low on options that they signed Rishard Matthews.  He adds nothing on special teams.  He can potentially make the team and be a contributor, but the idea of him as a roster lock is laughable. 

They have 3 legit NFL WRs and some potential. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Burnett is a lock?  On what planet?  He is a 2018 UDFA that couldn't stick with the Titans and barely got run on a sh*tty team so low on options that they signed Rishard Matthews.  He adds nothing on special teams.  He can potentially make the team and be a contributor, but the idea of him as a roster lock is laughable. 

This is what I am thinking as well. I am rooting for the kids but we have guys tear it up in camp every year, get cut, and never are heard from again.

My point is Charone Peake can't be running routes when two guys get hurt. Just isn't an NFL receiver.

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I believe he is a lock. I think he showed towards the tail end of last year that he can be a quality depth NFL WR. He showed great hands and a fantastic chemistry with Darnold. Probably from their days at USC. He continued his quality play into training camp this year and there is no reason to think that he will not make the roster this season, even with the additions the Jets have made at WR. I think if you ask most Jet fans right now most will say that Burnett is likely if not a lock to make the roster.   

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I believe he is a lock. I think he showed towards the tail end of last year that he can be a quality depth NFL WR. He showed great hands and a fantastic chemistry with Darnold. Probably from their days at USC. He continued his quality play into training camp this year and there is no reason to think that he will not make the roster this season, even with the additions the Jets have made at WR. I think if you ask most Jet fans right now most will say that Burnett is likely if not a lock to make the roster.   

especially with how crowder and enunwa have already been dinged up so far, you need guys who you know darnold can work with.   

i thought the interesting thing was at rb where powell was ahead of mcguire and cannon.  clearly he's better than they are, but i guess he's healthy now.

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is what I am thinking as well. I am rooting for the kids but we have guys tear it up in camp every year, get cut, and never are heard from again.

My point is Charone Peake can't be running routes when two guys get hurt. Just isn't an NFL receiver.

To be fair, there are no teams in the NFL where you can lose your top two WRs and trot out two studs off the bench. That's just not how they are built. Most teams if you lose your top two guys you are kinda effed and have to rely on pass catching TEs and RBs, etc. Most teams the last two guys on the bench are guys who are pretty much special team contributors like gunners or returners. 

12 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Just like 88% of the teams in the NFL. Except the Jets have more versatile WRs and RBs and for once have more speed than a lot of other NFL teams. 

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm not sure there's been anywhere near enough evidence to suggest "great hands" or "fantastic chemistry" when you have a team that had an endless stream of injuries at the WR position, and yet he still only showed up as a real contributor for 2 games all season, with a full 2 months in between.

image.png.c233df521c88d6a1337c037905517e91.png

That's not to say he doesn't have a shot, but he hardly qualifies as a proven resource for the position depth, and certainly is far from being guaranteed anything.  That's especially true when considering an entirely new coaching staff and front office.

37 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Tim White has a similar game to Robbie, no?  So that seems to bode well for him sticking.

Not sure who would be the backup for Enunwa / WR2...  

White and his speed being listed here as the #2 behind Anderson at WR and #2 at punt returner bodes very well for him. Dortch listed as the #1 PR bodes well for him. If Dortch can move past Burnett to be the #2 slot guy, they both make the team. If not, then I think White becomes the #1 PR and Burnett makes it ahead of Dortch. Not that they can't keep seven WRs, or that a guy like Bellamy is a lock. I know Bellamy is a Gase guy, and that Gase and Douglas will be working closely together, but Douglas has contractual control of the 53-man roster and Burnett and Dortch might bring more to the table than Bellamy. Might be worth it to have Dortch returning punts, Burnett backing up Enunwa, and White as depth at PR. 

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not sure there's been anywhere near enough evidence to suggest "great hands" or "fantastic chemistry" when you have a team that had an endless stream of injuries at the WR position, and yet he still only showed up as a real contributor for 2 games all season, with a full 2 months in between.

image.png.c233df521c88d6a1337c037905517e91.png

That's not to say he doesn't have a shot, but he hardly qualifies as a proven resource for the position depth, and certainly is far from being guaranteed anything.  That's especially true when considering an entirely new coaching staff and front office.

i wouldn't say burnett is a lock either but he certainly deserves to be in the mix.  he was making some tough catches at the end.  and we also need to consider the coaching.  bowles wanted verterans ahead o rookies.  he got on the field due to position attrition.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

too early to tell but it's not good that polite is 3rd on the depth chart for his position.  at least edoga is second behind shell for rt.

Well given that he's a bust, he should be thankful he's not cut yet!  :-)

All indications are that he has been picking it up at practice recently.  So it's still reasonable to hope he becomes a good pass rusher, though it might take time.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

too early to tell but it's not good that polite is 3rd on the depth chart for his position.  at least edoga is second behind shell for rt.

If I had to guess, Polite is likely being looked at as more of a situational pass rusher, at least to start things off.  So he can certainly get some play time, but wouldn't be considered to be the first guy off the bench for the position on regular downs if they don't trust him with the other responsibilities that come along with it (i.e., playing the run, dropping into coverage, etc.).

If that is the case, it will be more of a question of how much he can contribute in that situational role this year, and whether he can further develop from there.

20 minutes ago, slats said:

White and his speed being listed here as the #2 behind Anderson at WR and #2 at punt returner bodes very well for him. Dortch listed as the #1 PR bodes well for him. If Dortch can move past Burnett to be the #2 slot guy, they both make the team. If not, then I think White becomes the #1 PR and Burnett makes it ahead of Dortch. Not that they can't keep seven WRs, or that a guy like Bellamy is a lock. I know Bellamy is a Gase guy, and that Gase and Douglas will be working closely together, but Douglas has contractual control of the 53-man roster and Burnett and Dortch might bring more to the table than Bellamy. Might be worth it to have Dortch returning punts, Burnett backing up Enunwa, and White as depth at PR. 

I think there is a good chance that Crowder is the #1 punt returner.  They can do that if they want, but Crowder will require less work to prove himself since he probably has 100 career punt returns.  Let the other guys fight it out.  If one shines, cool.  If not - Crowder is there.  No shock he isn't on the depth chart for preseason game #1.

These early pre-season depth charts are fun, but I hope every one realizes the word UNOFFICAL, is the most important thing.

They aren't even put together by the coaching staff.  They are put together by someone in PR to give the fans something to look at before the 1st pre-season game.