McDermott had a 2 year head start

Jetster

We lost a game we should have won. 

But how good is that Buffalo Defense? Now that I've had a day & a half to absorb that kick in the nuts, I started thinking about a defense that was ranked #2 overall last year that obviously added to that above average defense this offseason & are playing in the same system for now their 3rd year in a row. 

So we played a top ranked defense with a WR that barely practiced leading up to the game, our top TE that gave them problems last year suspended, a 2nd year QB learning an entirely new system, playing behind an offensive line that hadn't played together all preseason that lets face it....isn't very good, wasn't good last year & had the addition of a 30 year old KO & a Center that just came out of retirement a few weeks ago. We have a new HC, DC a bunch of new players, and we barely played any of them in preseason.

The Bills come back to Metlife next week to take on the Giants. Fans in NY will get to see how the Giants combat that Bills defense. I personally think the Bills stroll into Metlife again & put a BEATING down on the Giants, with Allen rushing for almost 100 yards. If the Giants prove my theory wrong.....I will be sad....and worried about the rest of 2019. 

• Upvote 2

We have drafted defense high for 10 years straight.  We had a 10 year head start.

Bills trade down and then draft a #1 Cb in Tredavuous white the jets pick jamal adams

The bills have a play making disruptor in ed oliver fall to them the jets probably could have traded down and got him instead we take quinnen williams.

• Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

But how good is that Buffalo Defense? Now that I've had a day & a half to absorb that kick in the nuts, I started thinking about a defense that was ranked #2 overall last year that obviously added to that above average defense this offseason & are playing in the same system for now their 3rd year in a row. 

So we played a top ranked defense with a WR that barely practiced leading up to the game, our top TE that gave them problems last year suspended, a 2nd year QB learning an entirely new system, playing behind an offensive line that hadn't played together all preseason that lets face it....isn't very good, wasn't good last year & had the addition of a 30 year old KO & a Center that just came out of retirement a few weeks ago. We have a new HC, DC a bunch of new players, and we barely played any of them in preseason.

The Bills come back to Metlife next week to take on the Giants. Fans in NY will get to see how the Giants combat that Bills defense. I personally think the Bills stroll into Metlife again & put a BEATING down on the Giants, with Allen rushing for almost 100 yards. If the Giants prove my theory wrong.....I will be sad....and worried about the rest of 2019. 

I posted this the other day in another thread.  The Jets didn't play well enough to win but that Buffalo D is better than most people have thought.

1367236237_ScreenShot2019-09-08at9_18_14PM.png.cf7e30e1c9b6efdc95844c95c8b5db87.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

some good points.  i see the bills as being where the jets will be next season.  mcdermott is in his 3rd season and took that much time to get the stink of rex and then marrone out of the team.  marrone less so because he left the team in far better shape than the jets team gase has taken over.  from this standpoint there's a lot to be optimistic for.

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

McDermott was successful at his job prior to becoming the head coach. Gase wasn't.

Gase was very successful, he made the playoffs without a QB in Miami (just as McDermott did with Buffalo) and his teams overachieved every year.  He did a poor job Sunday, can we calm down after one game?

• Upvote 3

My god...the excuse machine has reached levels rarely seen in a fan base. At least Raider and Browns fans admit they suck and don’t make excuses.

A lot of our fans have accepted what the team has been selling. Its real simple and it’s complete loser mentality: LOSING IS OKAY BECAUSE WE’RE REBUILDING !

The infinite rebuild. The endless excuses.

”Mangini didn’t have enough time!”

”Rex just needs a QB”

”Idzik needs more time”

”It’s not Bowles’ fault Mac can’t pick players”

”It’s not Mac’s fault Bowles can’t coach”

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Icer said:

Just be thankful they have Allen at QB. With a competent QB we get blown out

This is basically it.  

For the last two years, the Bills have outperformed the Jets in team building, but for the QB.  They too passed on Mahomes and Watson (they actually traded their draft pick for Mahomes, which may be worse than the Jets drafting Adams and passing on him), and then reached for Allen.

The Bills will build a decent team but ultimately have to start over at QB, just like the Titans and maybe the Bears.  I think the Jets still have hope that Darnold can be a FQB, but it may be his second contract before we can see that. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, varjet said:

This is basically it.  

For the last two years, the Bills have outperformed the Jets in team building, but for the QB.  They too passed on Mahomes and Watson (they actually traded their draft pick for Mahomes, which may be worse than the Jets drafting Adams and passing on him), and then reached for Allen.

The Bills will build a decent team but ultimately have to start over at QB, just like the Titans and maybe the Bears.  I think the Jets still have hope that Darnold can be a FQB, but it may be his second contract before we can see that. 

We'll see about this one. Just please note the Bills had one of the worst 3 Offensive lines last year in the NFL and Allen was 5-5 as a starter, oh yeah with no real WR's on top of it.

Now, he arguably has a top 5 Offensive line (I'd say top 3 unit, but they need more time to gel) and he's 6-5 as a starter with four 4th QTR comebacks. What's Darnold record now 4-10 as a starter? 

Yeah, the trade down looks bad when you see Mahomes and Watson in hindsight for any club before them that needed a franchise QB, including your JETS. The Bills didn't have their current GM in place yet so I understand the trade down knowing a strong QB class was coming the next year. 

We traded down and still land Tre (a top 5 CB in the league) whom I still take over (S) Adams right now hands down.

The next year we draft QB of the O and D in the same 1st rd with our new GM and front office in place from the prior year trade down 1st pick we obtained from KC.

We'll see you 12/29, good luck Monday night.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

All that red ink and they still would have lost to a team with an average kicker that has been mismanaged forever.  What does that tell you?

That it's hard, but apparently not impossible, to win football games when your QB makes Mark Sanchez look like Fort Knox with a football.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't it funny to think about how different this place would be if Darnold hits Robby in stride on the last drive? Or, If Maye hangs onto the ball at the goal-line? Or, maybe if Anderson doesn't get called for roughing the passer on the Bills first scoring drive? Etc. 

I'm not saying that these negative threads aren't warranted. They are. This franchise is a perennial disaster and that was the worst opening day loss in franchise history (even including the Garrison Hearst game in 98). Also, the Bills deserve credit for having some nice pieces. 

But, it is interesting to think about how fine the line is between joy and misery in the NFL. That line is finer than in any other sport, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jetster said:

I will feel much better about things if the Bills beat the Giants by 30 and the Jets beat the Browns on Monday night!

Macagnan was terrible at his job, so was Bowles. For some inexplicable reason, both were more time than they should have, because our owners suck at their job.

You can't fix 10 years of awful drafting overnight, it will take one or two really strong drafts.

Gase may very well suck, Darnold may very well suck, but from playing football for most of my life, there is one thing I will tell you for sure. When your side of the line is getting blown up and dominated on nearly every play, its really hard to play that side of the ball, Offense or Defense. 

We left a lot of points on the field against a pretty good team, we lost, we aren't going to the playoffs this year.  When we pick 9th instead of 12th this year, we can look back at this game and feel a little better, and hope our current GM is better than our last one.

Now everyone take a deep breath!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

My god...the excuse machine has reached levels rarely seen in a fan base. At least Raider and Browns fans admit they suck and don’t make excuses.

A lot of our fans have accepted what the team has been selling. Its real simple and it’s complete loser mentality: LOSING IS OKAY BECAUSE WE’RE REBUILDING !

The infinite rebuild. The endless excuses.

”Mangini didn’t have enough time!”

”Rex just needs a QB”

”Idzik needs more time”

”It’s not Bowles’ fault Mac can’t pick players”

”It’s not Mac’s fault Bowles can’t coach”

It’s especially galling when the excuses come from this OP.Luv ya, @Jetsteryou know that, but c’mon man. You saw nothing but good things for this team in 2019 until the second half of game 1. Now you’re suddenly seeing the warts some of us told you this frog had all along?

BTW the Bills/Giants game will have absolutely no bearing on how good the Bills D actually is, the Giants offense is as bad if not worse then the Jets.

Here’s what you have to hope for this year. Darnold has to play better then he did in week 1. We all think he will, and by the end of the season he has to show us that he definitely is our FQB. Enough talking about his potential. It’s his second year, that’s how long good QBs take to show they’re good QBs, and by then they’re elevating those around them.

If he doesn’t show that by the end of this year, all we’ve probably got then is another Trubisky. Someone you gave up a lot to get, but who won’t move the needle by himself. Just someone who needs a great team around him.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But, it is interesting to think about how fine the line is between joy and misery in the NFL. That line is finer than in any other sport, IMO. 

Winning on Sunday would have been nice, but this roster would still be just as miserable after.  No secondary, no pass rush, bad receivers, bad O-Line.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Winning on Sunday would have been nice, but this roster would still be just as miserable after.  No secondary, no pass rush, bad receivers, bad O-Line.  

Agree, but I think, had we won on Sunday, we would have had a chance to start 2-0 and have a fun season, where we were "in the mix" headed into December (even if we had no realistic shot of actually finishing with a winning record). 

To not only lose, but lose in historically bad fashion (blowing a 16-0 lead in the 4th after being +4 in the TO margin, AT HOME) makes me expect 4-12. It's just interesting how important a single regular season game in September can feel. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Agree, but I think, had we won on Sunday, we would have had a chance to start 2-0 and have a fun season, where we were "in the mix" headed into December (even if we had no realistic shot of actually finishing with a winning record). 

To not only lose, but lose in historically bad fashion (blowing a 16-0 lead in the 4th after being +4 in the TO margin, AT HOME) makes me expect 4-12. It's just interesting how important a single regular season game in September can feel. 

A win had me thinking 7-9.  Now I'm sitting 6-10.  Not much difference for me.  But I agree that it would have been good for team morale (and fanbase morale) to get the W.  

• Upvote 2

I don’t think anyone really had lofty expectations for this year. 7-9/8-8/9-7 seemed to be the consensus, which is reasonable.

It isn’t just the loss (which was horrific being up 16-0 late in the 3rd at home)...

it’s the lack of creativity on offense.

its the offense only scoring 8 points in a league with rules designed to allow offenses scorinf.

it’s Darnold looking like a rookie.

If you’re gonna lose, take some shots. Don’t coach and play scared.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Icer said:

4 turnovers, and it could have been 6 with the dropped picks

I have no idea why you’re using that ??? to dispute my point lol. So I’ll just play along and say...

Yeah, and Darnold couldn’t put more the 8 points on the board with the 4 turnovers, so what is your point?

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Isn't it funny to think about how different this place would be if Darnold hits Robby in stride on the last drive? Or, If Maye hangs onto the ball at the goal-line? Or, maybe if Anderson doesn't get called for roughing the passer on the Bills first scoring drive? Etc. 

I'm not saying that these negative threads aren't warranted. They are. This franchise is a perennial disaster and that was the worst opening day loss in franchise history (even including the Garrison Hearst game in 98). Also, the Bills deserve credit for having some nice pieces. 

Very true -- particularly the point about Darnold hitting Robby. Jets effectively have a walk-off bomb to win the game, suddenly Darnold's stat line looks great and he weathered an early storm against an elite defense to deliver in the clutch.

Instead the offense was totally inept and the team is doomed.

• Upvote 1