Panthers Fire Ron Rivera

Welp

7 minutes ago, The Gooch said:

McCarthy will be the head coach of the Panthers now I guess!

The question for McCarthy (or anyone looking at the Carolina job) will be whether they think Cam comes back or Kyle Allen can lead the team.  It’s all about the QB spot and that’s why it was reported McCarthy wanted to coach the Jets (Sam Darnold).

How appetizing is that Carolina job?  Decent defense, Christian McCaffrey and Luke Keuchly....and what else?

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yes I would like to fire Gase. Yesterday.

I don't want to guarantee 4 years to anyone. That's not necessary. Rivera isn't my first choice, but he's a clear upgrade from what we have now.

You’re going to fire Gase after one year and expect to not give the next coach a standard four year run, even with the roster as depleted as it is? Who is your first choice and why would that person take this job under those conditions? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’re going to fire Gase after one year and expect to not give the next coach a standard four year run, even with the roster as depleted as it is? Who is your first choice and why would that person take this job under those conditions? 

Someone that desperately wants career suicide and to be miserable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With the limited information I have available I like Rhule as my first choice. If we act like a normal organization and allow him to choose his staff, as well as pay him enough money - he would accept the job. This would be the case for most any coach. 

Off the top of my head some coaches I'd prefer to Gase in no particular order:

Rhule

Rivera

McCarthy

Rex Ryan

Mangini

Saban

Brian Schottenheimer

Greg Roman

Mike Ditka

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

With the limited information I have available I like Rhule as my first choice. If we act like a normal organization and allow him to choose his staff, as well as pay him enough money - he would accept the job. This would be the case for most any coach. 

Rhule

Rivera

McCarthy

Rex Ryan 

Mangini

Saban

Brian Schottenheimer

Greg Roman

Mike Ditka

Go close your foot inside a hot waffle iron.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rhule

Rivera

McCarthy

Rex Ryan

Mangini

Saban

Brian Schottenheimer

Greg Roman

Mike Ditka

If the criteria is simply "better than Gase," then you're not really aiming high enough. If you're firing Gase, you're hiring a coach whom you think can handle a rebuild and bring you to a Super Bowl. Not many of those guys around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I just saw this. That Carolina job is a pretty solid gig, and they're going to be sifting through names like Doug Marrone and Pat Shurmur. The Jets aren't getting within a country mile of McDaniels, Harbaugh, or Urban Meyer. Does anyone here wasn't to hire Jason Garrett or Dan Quinn? Bleak.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets have beaten 2 (Redskins, Giants W’s) out of the 4 (Bengals, Dolphins L’s) teams they should have.  They’ve beaten one team they shouldn’t (Cowboys) and one team about the same as them (Raiders).  I’m not sure what that says about them.....but anyone who thinks that either the roster OR the coaching is the sole problem is not watching this team.  There have been deficiencies in both.

I don’t think Gase is going anywhere and I’m in the camp of giving him one more year with a (hopefully) improved roster.  A 3rd offensive system in 3 years wouldn’t be good for Darnold and everyone knows the offense is completely devoid of NFL caliber starters.  There’s a lot to criticize Gase about but it’s not time to cut the cord yet.

I’d evaluate Gase on his record in games that he has Sam Darnold (currently 4-5) and throw away the mess that was the Browns, Patriots, Eagles run from Weeks 2-4.  Unfortunately, this most recent game was the Jets worst loss of the year by far (and I’m including 33-0 vs. NE).

This is a week-to-week league.  Gruden is in Year 2 with a better roster and got anhiliated by the Jets.  Jason Garrett will likely win a weak division and he also lost to the Jets.  There are lots of bad coaches in the NFL.  How safe should Pat Shurmur be?  What about Kitchens and the 5-7 Browns?  The Bears have just 2 more wins than the Jets.  The Chargers and Philip Rivers have the same number of wins and both the Lions and Falcons have fewer.

I’m not trying to defend Gase here but there are some teams with a lot more talent who are doing just as bad (or worse) than the Jets.  The NFL is unpredictable and truly good HC’s are just as hard to find as truly good QB’s.  There are maybe 10 of them in the league.  In fact, three guys included in recent Jets’ Head Coach searches are currently HCs for NFL teams (Quinn in Atlanta, Marone in Jax, Kingsbury in AZ).  NONE of them have more wins than Gase right now.  It’s just weird.

I think Carolina is taking a big risk getting rid of Rivera.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rhule

Rivera

McCarthy

Rex Ryan

Mangini

Saban

Brian Schottenheimer

Greg Roman

Mike Ditka

super bowl 51 nfl GIF by ADWEEK

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is true enough, if they have their eye on a college coach they get a leg up on other teams.

The college coaching pool is just one aspect.

I can't think of an example in the real world where you would make the single most important hire in your entire billion dollar organization (i'd argue the HC is slightly more important than GM) in a highly contested and compressed two week window (give or take,)   It's insanity. 

Hell, these NFL teams probably conduct multi-month searches to hire a CFO or head of marketing.  It seems to me, starting the process in December is common sense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets have beaten 2 (Redskins, Giants W’s) out of the 4 (Bengals, Dolphins L’s) teams they should have.  They’ve beaten one team they shouldn’t (Cowboys) and one team about the same as them (Raiders).  I’m not sure what that says about them.....but anyone who thinks that either the roster OR the coaching is the sole problem is not watching this team.  There have been deficiencies in both.

I don’t think Gase is going anywhere and I’m in the camp of giving him one more year with a (hopefully) improved roster.  A 3rd offensive system in 3 years wouldn’t be good for Darnold and everyone knows the offense is completely devoid of NFL caliber starters.  There’s a lot to criticize Gase about but it’s not time to cut the cord yet.

I’d evaluate Gase on his record in games that he has Sam Darnold (currently 4-5) and throw away the mess that was the Browns, Patriots, Eagles run from Weeks 2-4.  Unfortunately, this most recent game was the Jets worst loss of the year by far (and I’m including 33-0 vs. NE).

This is a week-to-week league.  Gruden is in Year 2 with a better roster and got anhiliated by the Jets.  Jason Garrett will likely win a weak division and he also lost to the Jets.  There are lots of bad coaches in the NFL.  How safe should Pat Shurmur be?  What about Kitchens and the 5-7 Browns?  The Bears have just 2 more wins than the Jets.  The Chargers and Philip Rivers have the same number of wins and both the Lions and Falcons have fewer.

I’m not trying to defend Gase here but there are some teams with a lot more talent who are doing just as bad (or worse) than the Jets.  The NFL is unpredictable and truly good HC’s are just as hard to find as truly good QB’s.  There are maybe 10 of them in the league.  In fact, three guys included in recent Jets’ Head Coach searches are currently HCs for NFL teams (Quinn in Atlanta, Marone in Jax, Kingsbury in AZ).  NONE of them have more wins than Gase right now.  It’s just weird.

I think Carolina is taking a big risk getting rid of Rivera.

Good post. I wanted McCarthy because he was an experienced HC who has developed a young QB and knows what success looks like. He was a no brainer given the options at the time IMO.

Not having an experienced HC since Parcells, I was cautiously optimistic about Gase. He did the job before, theoretically understands the role, could put together a staff, knew the division, etc.  

But the one thing that made me really nervous - and I fear it will be his ultimate downfall - was his response to a reporter's question about what mistakes that he learned from his Miami experience that he will do differently with the Jets. I dont recall the exact phrasing but his answer was essentially I wouldn't do anything different.

You can't hire a guy who says/believes that. It also explains why he doesn't make adjustments. He believes too much in his game plan.  Good coaches are willing to throw away an entire game plan if need be. 

I hope I'm wrong about the guy, I really do, but if he doesn't change, next year will be his last.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The question for McCarthy (or anyone looking at the Carolina job) will be whether they think Cam comes back or Kyle Allen can lead the team.  It’s all about the QB spot and that’s why it was reported McCarthy wanted to coach the Jets (Sam Darnold).

How appetizing is that Carolina job?  Decent defense, Christian McCaffrey and Luke Keuchly....and what else?

I reckon Cam is done in Carolina. Been injured constantly for the last two years, only keeps defenses honest with his legs and is not a good pocket passer. With injuries hurting his mobility, he is a mediocre player now. Cap hit is pretty big, so I reckon Carolina will try to trade him. Chicago did look like a possible destination but with Mitchell Trubisky resurrecting his career there, perhaps not.

Rivera is a conservative head coach who made his name as Riverboat Ron when he decided to abandon caution because he has nothing to lose. In coaching the Panthers for nine seasons, he has had four winning seasons. That's good by Jets standards but I'm not sure whether he would be the right fit here.

• Upvote 2