The JF80 2020 Offseason Plan

Jetsfan80

53 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

My only quibble would be Peters. He’s such an injury risk that I’d rather just bring back Beachum. I’ve had a Dupree mancrush since before that draft, and I think he’s steadily improving, to the point that we’d actually be paying for future performance for once.

My thinking is Beachum will want too much and Peters, who Douglas knows, will come a lot cheaper as a stopgap starter.  Not that we should be pinching pennies at OT, but if the draft plays out like I hope it will, we should/could end up with a future franchise LT.  We'll see.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Key Free Agent Signings

• OLB Bud Dupree (Steelers) OR OLB Markus Golden (Giants):  4 years, $58M with $16M signing bonus (Contract Comparison:  Za'Darius Smith/Melvin Ingram)
  • CB Ronald Darby (Eagles):  5 years, $56M with $20M in guarantees (Contract comparison:  Stephon Gilmore/Malcolm Butler/Janoris Jenkins)
  • RG Michael Schofield (Chargers):  4 years, $36M with $18M in guarantees (Contract comparison:  Ronald Leary, Broncos)
  • LT Jason Peters (Eagles): 1 year, $9M with $4M in guarantees
  • QB Mike Glennon (Raiders)

Joe Douglas would be dead to me if he did any of this 

If a majority of Jets capital (FA money and early draft picks) is spent on Offensive lineman picks, I will be extremely disappointed in Joe Douglas.

And, yes the o-line needs to be revamped and a makeover.

But, if we cannot expect Joe Douglas to find some "value" at those positions, then I will be extremely worried about his ability to project talent. The one area he SHOULD have greater insight to, more than any other position, is the offensive line. 

I can understand a 1st round pick on the position. I can understand paying the best FA Tackle in Free Agency. I could not understand both. A good GM should be able to find value.

And I say all this without understanding the full FA class and draft class. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I can understand a 1st round pick on the position. I can understand paying the best FA Tackle in Free Agency. I could not understand both. A good GM should be able to find value.

Jason Peters is 38 years old.  He'd be a stopgap who Douglas is familiar with.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Any team with Sam Darnold at QB isn’t going to be good. Until the Jets come to their senses and dump him they will stuck in the mud. He’s Blake Bortles 2.0 and will set this franchise back years.

Like it or not Sam is getting another year or so. Way too many holes on this roster to try another rookie QB. Not using the weapons excuse but Sam gets another couple seasons as they upgrade the roster like it or not. 

Set the franchise back years? Back from what? 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

^^^ Expects is to believe he’s eligible for credit.

Pac's plan is to eventually re-sign Jamal Adams for "fair market value" (because if there's anything we know for sure, its that Jamal is humble and will give us a hometown discount) and let Macc's #PlayoffRoster shine.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I like this overall, but if we are trading our one obvious blue chip talent at his position, I want more for him

Exactly.  Dallas already offered a 1st and a 3rd and thankfully we stuck to our guns.  At the very least we need a first and second for Adams 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  Dallas already offered a 1st and a 3rd and thankfully we stuck to our guns.  At the very least we need a first and second for Adams 

That would be my minimum asking price. A 1st and a 2nd, particularly if we are trading him to a playoff team. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Good effort 80.  Dont hate it. That said, I'd be pretty disappointed if we only added 1 new WR this offseason in what might be a historic WR draft class.  I'd skip resigning DT and draft 2 WR's.  1 to replace DT and 1 to replace Enunwa as soon as we can get out of that mess.  Sam need some dynamic WR's and this is the year to find them. 

Totally agree. 

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That would be my minimum asking price. A 1st and a 2nd, particularly if we are trading him to a playoff team. 

Absolutely. Look I’m not a big Jamal Adams lover personally but there is no way we should trade him unless we are getting multiple high picks.  I think the Jets wanted  a 1st and two seconds.  I would be fine for a first, a second, and maybe a conditional 4th(that becomes a 3rd if he signs a long term deal)

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

So does that actually work out cap wise ?

We're projected to start the 2020 offseason with $62.1M in cap space.

I have us cutting Winters, which improves that to $69.4M.  

For our newcomers/re-signings, I'd have the following 2020 salary additions:

• Bud Dupree/Markus Golden:  ~$12M
  • Ronald Darby ~ $9M
  • Robby Anderson:  ~$9M
  • Michael Schofield:  ~$7M
  • Jason Peters:  ~ $7M
  • Jordan Jenkins ~ $6M
  • Brian Poole ~ $6M
  • Demaryius Thomas ~ $3.5M
  • Mike Glennon ~ $3.5M
  • Bilal Powell ~ $2M
  • Lac Edwards ~ $2M
  • Sam Ficken ~ $1.5M
  • Rontez Miles ~ $1.5M
  • Neville Hewitt ~ $1M
  • Alex Lewis ~ $1M
  • David Fales ~ $800K

That all totals up to $74M prior to signing our draft picks.  But I of course anticipate a bunch more players getting cut who are currently under contract.  We also should be able to re-work some current deals.  

Trumaine Johnsons dead weight so cut him & save the 3 million. DTs gotta go, he was cast off out of Denver for the dropsies & the Pats who are hurting at WR traded him inside their own division to the Jets. 

Rontez Miles? I think we can find a younger replacement. Same with Powell unless he's already signed? Was his a 1 year contract? 

Id like to see an Adams trade & use those picks for a LT Andrews? And a stud WR that falls. If we got a #1 & #2 minimum for Adams we'd have 2 seconds & 2 third rounders! Use 1 to target Biadesz in a move UP if he's there at the bottom of the 1st. I'm not a believer in the sh*t against the wall, stay & take your picks Idzik, Macc strategy. Jets need to target players NEED! If we came out of this draft with a LT (Andrews), a Center (Biadesz), a WR (Tee Higgins) with our top picks I'd be esctatic! 

Obviously free agency changes draft strategy, lets hope Joe Douglas is a great recruiter.