Grading Jets 2017 Draft Class…or What’s Left of it

JetNation

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And that goes to show you don't sign RBs to big money.  You draft them in the 2nd/3rd round then let them walk after their rookie deals end. 

The Vikings have an elite RB on a cheap contract for 2 more years.  Our mega expensive RB can't get handed the ball without being hit immediately because we didn't build an OL first. 

Spend money and high picks on OL.  Go cheap on RBs.

I'm glad we have Bell though. I see your point on the over spending. Sam needs a back of this caliber to make his life a little easier. Once the line can run block again it will all come to fruition, the run and the pass.

2 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'm glad we have Bell though. I see your point on the over spending. Sam needs a back of this caliber to make his life a little easier. Once the line can run block again it will all come to fruition, the run and the pass.

Well that was my other point:  We could have had Cook over Maye, then never needed to spend big on Bell.  

A RB absolutely can be one of the QB's best friends (after LT, WR1, the other OL spots and possession receiver/TE).  But there's a limit on how many resources you should devote to the position.

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Rating Adams as a player and Adams as a draft pick are separate things.  I think Adams is overrated, but he’s undoubtedly a good player.  That said, Watson/Mahommes and a 1, and 3 certainly would have been a far better situation.

To be fair we have now idea if Mahomes would have worked out here.  I think we can both agree he got put into a great situation and great team right away 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Johnsons didn't have to listen to him.  But since they're completely incompetent they'll take advice from anybody. 

Like they did with Peyton Manning prior to hiring Gase.  

And like they did when Paul Tagliabue told them to hire Herm.

Or like they did when Korn Ferry told them to hire Idzik.  

The Johnson brothers are football morons. 

It's not about winning its about earning money. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

To be fair we have now idea if Mahomes would have worked out here.  I think we can both agree he got put into a great situation and great team right away 

We have SOME idea how he'd have done.  He was an elite prospect by any metric.  Just because he walked into a great situation (much like Lamar Jackson) doesn't mean he wouldn't have done well here.  Darnold has had his moments and is pretty significantly less talented than Mahomes with a dreadful situation. 

I'd say Mahomes would have been an above average QB at minimum.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Matt Millen says hello.

Amazing that every time someone mentions Macc as the worst GM of all-time, Matt Millen is the only name that gets thrown out.  

Its pretty sad that, objectively, Macc is probably the 2nd worst GM in the NFL salary cap era.  Yes, he was THAT bad.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We have SOME idea how he'd have done.  He was an elite prospect by any metric.  Just because he walked into a great situation (much like Lamar Jackson) doesn't mean he wouldn't have done well here.  Darnold has had his moments and is pretty significantly less talented than Mahomes with a dreadful situation. 

I'd say Mahomes would have been an above average QB at minimum.  

I never said Mahomes would have been bad.  I just think it’s important to take into account that Sam has been in a rotten situation.  I’m not saying he has been great but I do think we will all be happy with him in the end.  I’m just not someone who looks into the past. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I never said Mahomes would have been bad.  I just think it’s important to take into account that Sam has been in a rotten situation.  I’m not saying he has been great but I do think we will all be happy with him in the end.  

This would be my "QB I'd like to have" hindsight rankings since 2017:

1.  Mahomes

2.  Watson

3.  Jackson

4.  Darnold

5.  Everybody else

22 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'll never forgive this motherf%$#@

Casserly could very well be responsible for about 10 consecutive years of not just losing NY Jet football, but a bottom feeding roster that will ALWAYS be overmatched against the best teams in the league during that time period.

The Idiot sack of sh*t flunky of his, that was about to be fired, that he pawned off on the stupidest Owner in the NFL is now more difficult to find than Sasquatch.  The rest of the NFL wouldn’t give Mike Maccagnan a Janitor’s job, but Jet ownership makes him GM.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

This would be my "QB I want to have" rankings since 2017:

1.  Mahomes

2.  Watson

3.  Jackson

4.  Darnold

5.  Everybody else

Ok that’s fine.  I’m not trying to convince you otherwise but at the end of the day that didn’t happen and we got Sam and I think that’s a real good thing

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jets723 said:

Ok that’s fine.  I’m not trying to convince you otherwise but at the end of the day that didn’t happen and we got Sam and I think that’s a real good thing

Yep.  I still like Darnold a lot.  Just not as much as those other 3.

I wanted Watson at the time in 2017.  

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well that was my other point:  We could have had Cook over Maye, then never needed to spend big on Bell.  

A RB absolutely can be one of the QB's best friends (after LT, WR1, the other OL spots and possession receiver/TE).  But there's a limit on how many resources you should devote to the position.

NEWSFLASH!!!!

Leveon Bell REFUSES to take HGH Test today hahahaha.

Pumped full of HGH and only 3.2 yds a carry...ONLY the NY Jets 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  I still like Darnold a lot.  Just not as much as those other 3.

I wanted Watson at the time in 2017.  

I get that.  I’m just the kind of person who doesn’t look into the past.  Now if we had drafted Rosen I would be really scared lol 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Casserly could very well be responsible for about 10 consecutive years of not just losing NY Jet football, but a bottom feeding roster that will ALWAYS be overmatched against the best teams in the league during that time period.

The Idiot sack of sh*t flunky of his, that was about to be fired, that he pawned off on the stupidest Owner in the NFL is now more difficult to find than Sasquatch.  The rest of the NFL wouldn’t give Mike Maccagnan a Janitor’s job, but Jet ownership makes him GM.

Well said. Sasquatch has more credibility than Maccagnan may ever have btw lol

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

1) Thus far you could say the same about Sam Darnold.  Despite JN's optimism (homerism?), from a stats and wins perspective, you could argue that Darnold is not working out here, no?

2) You could also use this argument to make the case that we should not have used four picks on any one QB, because the situation was too dire.  In fact, the additional 3 picks would probably go a long way to improving Mahommes/Watson's situation on the Jets.  No?

3) Lastly, in general, I just don't buy this line of thinking.  Yes, I agree that Mahommes wouldn't necessarily put up video game numbers here, but good players play good.  I don't think there's an argument to be made that Mahommes (or Watson) would be significant worse than Sam Darnold on the Jets.  And, that's reason enough to say that taking Jamal Adams over either was a huge mistake.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

I get that.  I’m just the kind of person who doesn’t look into the past.  Now if we had drafted Rosen I would be really scared lol 

This is fine.  Going forward, it is what it is.

However, this thread is specifically dedicated to rating the 2017 Draft.  And, within that context, Jamal Adams was a colossal mistake, considering we didn't have a QB, and what we had to give up to get one, who, as of today, is not playing as well as the two we had in our lap.

• Upvote 4

I believe Bill Belichick, being told about a Charley Casserly criticism said, "What the hell does Charley Casserly know?". 

So what does our idiot Woody do? Takes advise from a guy Bill Belichick, probably the best Head Coach in NFL history, basically called a f*cking tool to the press. There is no doubt in my mind that Belichick laughed his azz off when he heard Casserly was ADVISING Woody Johnson.

And he was right, Casserlys advise has ruined the Jets for 5 years now. Giant frigging Elf with dumb & dumber hairdo & Woody was taken in like some doofus on the playground. 

• Upvote 1

Mike Macagnan's Jets career drafting players from Ohio State:

1) Devin Smith 2nd round 2015 draft - eventually got cut by the Jets after being constantly injured.

2) Darron Lee 1st round 2016 draft - Even those draftniks out there questioned this pick the very second it was made. Didn't seem like a scheme fit even if you actually thought he could play? Because he was such a huge disappointment he was traded last spring for a 6th round draft on after the Jets went out and spent top dollar on CJ Mosley. 

3) Jalin Marshall UDFA 2016 - Actually looked better as a player than Lee in 2016. Eventually cut. Nothing much ventured, so we shouldn't feel as bad he didn't work out.

YES. This is the same Ohio State that is a professional football player factory. Almost every draft sees 2 or more OSU players drafted in the 1st round to say nothing about the total drafted.

Meanwhile, our SFB GM managed to wade through that river of talent and pull the most useless players ever.

ANY QUESTIONS?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

1) Thus far you could say the same about Sam Darnold.  Despite JN's optimism (homerism?), from a stats and wins perspective, you could argue that Darnold is not working out here, no?

2) You could also use this argument to make the case that we should not have used four picks on any one QB, because the situation was too dire.  In fact, the additional 3 picks would probably go a long way to improving Mahommes/Watson's situation on the Jets.  No?

3) Lastly, in general, I just don't buy this line of thinking.  Yes, I agree that Mahommes wouldn't necessarily put up video game numbers here, but good players play good.  I don't think there's an argument to be made that Mahommes (or Watson) would be significant worse than Sam Darnold on the Jets.  And, that's reason enough to say that taking Jamal Adams over either was a huge mistake.

I don’t see the “homerism”.  I don’t see anybody saying Sam has been great.  I think we simply feel that despite all the obstacles he has shown enough to give us hope.  Obviously there are some who really like Sam and others that don’t which is fine.   Personally if I had to do it over again still would have picked Sam because despite a tendency to make some bad throws he still had such a great ability to extend plays and has mental toughness and has shown the ability to make an impact even with little talent around him.  Now like I agree he had been inconsistent that’s fair BUT given the fact that the oline is dreadful and he only has 2 reliable weapons it’s safe to assume those mistakes will decrease significantly when we add those pieces around him 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Come on Teddy.  I could understand being upset with other picks which I agree were awful.  But Adams and Sam are two of the bright spots.  We just need to do a better job building around them now that Macc is gone

I know you’re Mr. Positive, but a team needing a QB taking Adams, no matter how good he turned out to be, was a huge mistake by a man whose job it was to build a football team.

He chose the safety over two QBs, who as @TeddEY said, are both better then Darnold, by a lot. Add in the fact that we lost a 1st and 3 2nd round picks to get Darnold a year later.

If we had taken a QB in 17, those 4 premium picks could’ve gone to OL, ER, CB or WR. Maybe even a RB freeing up the money later spent on Bell.

Instead, we have Darnold, who despite how you feel about his future, has yet to justifify the price we paid for him.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I know you’re Mr. Positive, but a team needing a QB taking Adams, no matter how good he turned out to be, was a huge mistake by a man whose job it was to build a football team.

He chose the safety over two QBs, who as @TeddEY said, are both better then Darnold, by a lot. Add in the fact that we lost a 1st and 3 2nd round picks to get Darnold a year later.

If we had taken a QB in 17, those 4 premium picks could’ve gone to OL, ER, CB or WR. Maybe even a RB freeing up the money later spent on Bell.

Instead, we have Darnold, who despite how you feel about his future, has yet to justifify the price we paid for him.

I’m not “Mr Positive”. I have no issue being pissed off at players, coaches, or management when they deserve it.  Yes I’m a Darnold fan BUT I’ve been very fair about his performance.  I simply don’t look back at past drafts and say” We should have done this” because there is no point.  I feel things are looking up as long as we have better drafts from now on and focus on the oline which admittedly Macc did a brutal job at.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Everything basically sucks about that draft, outside of Jamal.... sucked then. sucks now, and will suck forever. 

I could have drafted circles around that chowder head

Agreed. Outside of Jamal the draft sucked especially our 3rd and 4th round picks