2020 WR thread

maury77

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I read that Shenault is someone who will is going to have to have plays schemed for him to get the ball in his hands.  Ive never watched a single snap of him playing, so I have no idea but curious if anyone else read that, as its something that is a huge negative in my mind.  

He’s not a traditional WR, kind of a hybrid RB/WR.  Sort of like Cordarrel Patterson, sort of...Lol.  He’s fast and he’s agile, but if we’re talking first round receivers?  No thank you. 

On 1/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, maury77 said:

Hamler 

KJ Hamler - To start, whoever made these videos could have shown just the Hamler footage and cut the run time by 75%, so that was annoying. Short, slight receiver. He's fast and elusive, showing decent hands. Vanilla releases at the line and tends to round his routes. Not an overly physical player. I'm not a big fan as these slight, quick guys tend to not show well in the pros. I think Hamler is a day 3 pick. 

23 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Right now, Higgins by a million miles.  Ross needs to show me some more consistency and toughness at the point of attack.  When he had to step into the 9 position (the traditional x split end against the boundary) in Clemson’s offense when Tee was out against OSU, he played poorly.  He needs a big game against LSU to get back in my good graces...Lol.   Right now Tee is playing the WR position better than anyone else in college.   Ross plays the 5 in CU’s offense, which is like a flanker in the slot off the line.  He struggles with press man sometimes and is why he struggled at the 9 filling in for Tee.  

I dunno if it's all in my head but Ross down the stretch of his freshman year looked unstoppable. This year, especially over the last 6-8 weeks, I wouldn't known he was even on the team.

What happened?

23 hours ago, BCJet said:

I read that Shenault is someone who will is going to have to have plays schemed for him to get the ball in his hands.  Ive never watched a single snap of him playing, so I have no idea but curious if anyone else read that, as its something that is a huge negative in my mind.  

I've been saying for a while - he's a gangster with speed and no position at the nfl.... will have to manufacture touches IMO 

He's got the body of LB almost, and natural instincts/talent for RB but Colorado made him play in space as a WR. 

Good luck NFL scouts. 

On 1/12/2020 at 7:02 AM, Sammybighead said:

I would be perfectly happy with either lamb, jeudy or Higgins at 11. Love Higgins for Sam. Big, athletic, unstoppable. Need a guy like that for a change that can make a qbs life easier. You put him in an offense with our TEs when healthy, gonna be tough to cover these big guys

I'm starting to open myself to the idea that Higgins or Ruggs wouldn't be a horrible pick at #11 in a worst cast scenario.  But I feel like I'm forcing it.  If Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Jeudy, Lamb are all gone at #11 then my preference would be for a trade-down to accumulate another 2nd rounder.  If dropping somewhere from 3-7 spots nets the Jets a 2nd then I'd do it and still hope to land Higgin, Ruggs or one of the next group of OTs like Jackson, Becton, etc.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm starting open myself to the idea that Higgins or Ruggs wouldn't be a horrible at #11 in a worst cast scenario.  But I feel like I'm forcing it.  If Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Jeudy, Lamb are all gone at #11 then my preference would be for a trade-down to accumulate another 2nd rounder.  If dropping somewhere from 3-7 spots nets the Jets a 2nd then I'd do it and still hope to land Higgin, Ruggs or one of the next group of OTs like Jackson, Becton, etc.

Good points. I’m definitely open to Higgins. He’s 6’4”, runs like a gazelle and can make difficult catches. A guy like that can really help a Q4 out.

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

I dunno if it's all in my head but Ross down the stretch of his freshman year looked unstoppable. This year, especially over the last 6-8 weeks, I wouldn't known he was even on the team.

What happened?

He had a big game against South Carolina to end the regular season, but he hasn’t stood out like I feel he should.  Part of it is the CU coaches, they played a lot of players because they were in so many lopsided games.  Which is great for overall player development, but it keeps guys like Ross, Higgins and Etienne from having big seasons.  Etienne could have set records this year if he had played a lot in the second half of games this year.  

We’ll see tonight what Ross is about, I have to imagine the focus will be to keep Higgins and Etienne in check, so guys like Ross, Ngata, Ladson need to step up.  Despite all the talent CU has at WR, they are missing their go-to slot receiver.  They haven’t replaced Renfrow, and it’s affected the offense.  Adam Humphries and Renfrow were big in that offense for moving the chains, this team has no slot receiver.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Me either!!!   I’ve been trying to not take for granted being in all of these playoff games.  It’s not easy winning National Championships.  It’s been a fun run over the last several years.  

I want to see LSU overcome adversity tonight. Still want to see Clemson pull out the W, but it would be nice from an evaluation standpoint to look at some of these players and see how they perform with their backs against the wall. It’s been a while since I’ve had a dig themselves out of a hole. 

On 1/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, maury77 said:

Tyler Johnson

Tyler Johnson - Here is a guy that does everything pretty well, but isn't great at anything. Decent size at 6'1"-6'2". Good build. Good, but not great speed. Has the ability to take a slant to the house, but you don't see him make a lot of plays downfield (although that could be attributable to the QB). His releases off the line are the most impressive part of his game as you can see him string multiple moves together. Able to make some contested catches as well. I don't think he is going to be a dynamic player, but he looks like a high floor, solid #2 type receiver. 

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Tyler Johnson - Here is a guy that does everything pretty well, but isn't great at anything. Decent size at 6'1"-6'2". Good build. Good, but not great speed. Has the ability to take a slant to the house, but you don't see him make a lot of plays downfield (although that could be attributable to the QB). His releases off the line are the most impressive part of his game as you can see him string multiple moves together. Able to make some contested catches as well. I don't think he is going to be a dynamic player, but he looks like a high floor, solid #2 type receiver. 

So, what is the deal with Johnson.  Senior Bowl snub.  Then he pulls out of the Shrine game.  You would think a chance to practice/play in front of scouts for all NFL teams would be a great opportunity.  Instead he chose to prepare for the Combine.

11 hours ago, Lith said:

So, what is the deal with Johnson.  Senior Bowl snub.  Then he pulls out of the Shrine game.  You would think a chance to practice/play in front of scouts for all NFL teams would be a great opportunity.  Instead he chose to prepare for the Combine.

Matt Miller has been insinuating that Johnson has some pretty big character issues and the senior bowl thing is an example of that.  I dont know anything about Johnson or the actual character problems he is referring to but it seems like there is a thing here with Johnson

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Matt Miller has been insinuating that Johnson has some pretty big character issues and the senior bowl thing is an example of that.  I dont know anything about Johnson or the actual character problems he is referring to but it seems like there is a thing here with Johnson

Unless he blows up the combine, he may drop to day 3 b/c of this stuff. 

Taking a WR at 11 is ABSURD. Didn’t anyone watch this past season?  The OL must come first before ANY other position.  What good is it for Sam to have a good prospect to throw to if he’s flat on his back.  I don’t care if JD even signs 2-3 OL FA’s. The whole line needs to be upgraded at every position and that 1st pick must be a RT or LT. This is why it’s imperative to get extra picks (trade Adams for a #1 and extra). With the first 2 picks you can the take an OL player and an edge. At round 2 you hit the OL again. The WR class is very deep. We can get a good one in round 3 where we have 2 picks. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2020 at 9:33 PM, Dinamite said:

I can see the Jets targeting Brandon Aiyuk from ASU in the second round.   Looks like someone with size and speed that Gase would covet.  Daniel Jeremiah seems to like him in the senior bowl.

He pulled out of the Senior Bowl.  Had some medical red flags.  

On 1/1/2020 at 11:17 AM, maury77 said:

Aiyuk

Where is @Paradis with his evaluations on some of the WRs? :)

Brandon Aiyuk - Aiyuk reminds me of Desean Jackson. Both are 5'11" and have similar builds. Aiyuk looks like he is going to run under 4.4. On tape, you see him regularly eat up the cushion the CBs give him. At the same time, he isn't as straight lineish as Ruggs is. Aiyuk has some wiggle to him and you see him regularly set up CBs with jukes and fakes. For a thin guy, he has some strength as you see him frequently run through contact on his routes. Will occasionally have issues tracking the ball in the air if it is not a perfect throw. Also a game breaker as a punt returner. 

Aiyuk should be a first rounder, but with this loaded class, he may drop to the Jets pick in the second round. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure what the right comparison for Aiyuk is but Jackson is way more slight - listed at 175 versus Aiyuk who was 201 at the Senior Bowl. Need to watch more but he’s got solid size for a speed guy versus like Hamler and does some return stuff. Thought Reagor was more fun to watch. He’s going to be an interesting evaluation.

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2020 at 1:52 PM, Paradis said:

I've been saying for a while - he's a gangster with speed and no position at the nfl.... will have to manufacture touches IMO 

He's got the body of LB almost, and natural instincts/talent for RB but Colorado made him play in space as a WR. 

Good luck NFL scouts. 

Let's say we get our OT in the first.

Jeudy, Lamb and some of Ruggs, Higgins and Raenor are also off the board when we pick at #2.  For reasons like what you stated, teams swerved to avoid Shenault.  Do you like him at our pick in round 2 or do you go for another more traditional guy who's ranked a bit lower on most big boards (i.e. Jefferson, Aiyuk)?

46 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Jeudy, Lamb and some of Ruggs, Higgins and Raenor are also off the board when we pick at #2.  For reasons like what you stated, teams swerved to avoid Shenault.  Do you like him at our pick in round 2 or do you go for another more traditional guy who's ranked a bit lower on most big boards (i.e. Jefferson, Aiyuk)?

What about heliare Edwards in the 2nd, then go wr in the early 3rd?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Where is @Paradis with his evaluations on some of the WRs? :)

In Mexico my brother, chasing chicas while the wife is passed out in the sun

After the senior bowl I’ll stop procrastinating. I’m honestly a little gun shy falling in love this year. There’s only so many times I can have my heart broken. Whomever I fall for is the kiss of death. We typically wind up with a guy I dislike (start penciling in Shenault to the Jets)

Last year left a bad taste in my mouth as well. Losing out on Hurd hurt. And it was especially bizarre to see you guys like Ferguson and Doss whom I had mid round grades on go undrafted. Both proceeded to have strong camps and preseasons and then inexplicably got cut. I don’t get this game sometimes

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I think someone will roll the dice on him early day 2 at least just because they have a vision. And who knows. Maybe it works like a Percy Harvin minus the headaches (bonus points for the pun) I wouldn’t trust him before round 4.  Aiyuk either. 

undeveloped ceiling guys —> day 3

polished ballers like Mims/Pittman/Jefferson —> day 2

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'd go Aiyuk and LSU Jefferson before Shenault. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Seriously.  That’s a crazy wingspan.  Love guys who have that reach and can pluck the ball out of the air.  His hands are huge too, look at how he covers the ball.  

I'd be lying if i said i've spend much time watching the post-Harry sun devils... That will change this weekend. I have to find out if that wingspan is apparent in-game

43 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd be lying if i said i've spend much time but watching the post-Harry sun devils... That will change this weekend. I have to find out if that wingspan is apparent in-game

Agreed.  He had an injury red-flag at the Senior Bowl and couldn’t participate,  would have loved to see him there.