Jamal Adams trade proposals

Rhg1084

Wow. That sucks. As I'm sitting here talking shop with you goofballs, a red bellied woodpecker just tried to fly into my house. It thought my sliding door was open. I initially thought it was dead, but it has flown on to the nearest tree about 20 feet up. Let's hope it survives....

6 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You and I are in lock step. I get irritated listening to the posters always talking about trading away our best players. Meanwhile, they know every GM the Jets have had since probably Parcells has sucked A$$ and couldn't make a decent pick to save their lives.

I'm with you... Hold on to your best players and add talent along side them. That's the way the Jets break their stereotype of being a dumb team that makes dumb moves.

IF we trade an excellent starter like Adams (a KNOWN player) then I want more than just a couple of lottery tickets (draft choices).  I'd be more open to a starting player (even an OG) + a Draft pick (like a 2nd rounder).  That is the kind of deal we should be looking for.  This isn't a team that can afford to be taking chances.  Heaven forbid the Jets traded Adams for a 1st round player that busted and a 3rd rounder that simply became a rotational Edge rusher or something.  That's a downgrade and sets the team back even further.

The other thing Douglas could/should do is look for teams under some Salary Cap duress who have a talented player at a position of Jets need and who is already being paid a lot.  Take the contract off their hands and obtain a great player in a trade that sends a currently lower cost (and controllable) Jamal Adams contract to them.  The Jets have very little money earmarked for OLine and WR in 2020 right now....lots of guys aren't under contract.  They could absorb an OT, OG or WR contract if it came with a very talented and still young player.  JMHO.

17 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Nonsense. Tyron Smith was drafted in 2011. He's on the down side of his career. Smith would be a stop gap at best. Zach Martin, on the other hand, gives us a legitimately at the very top of his positional group, Alan Faneca type player. He's plug and play and you'll be getting a starter for many years to come. It's the equivalent of a no brainer 1st round draft choice. Accepting Tyron Smith and a 1st rounder is the Jets essentially getting a singular draft choice. It would be foolish beyond belief.

Tyron smith is YOUNGER than zach martin.  He is also a pro bowl calibre left tackle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Heaven forbid the Jets traded Adams for a 1st round player that busted and a 3rd rounder that simply became a rotational Edge rusher or something.  That's a downgrade and sets the team back even further.

The other thing Douglas could/should do is look for teams under some Salary Cap duress who have a talented player at a position of Jets need and who is already being paid a lot.  Take the contract off their hands and obtain a great player in a trade that sends a currently lower cost (and controllable) Jamal Adams contract to them. 

To answer the first paragraph, it's exactly what I'm thinking. Knowing the Jets history with GM's that suck, odds are that's exactly what would happen. They'd trade their franchise for a bust 1st round draft choice and a rotational linebacker. 

In the second paragraph, I'd be fine with it so long as Joe Douglas can fit said player on the roster without ruining his ability to add more talent.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I like Jamal and think he's the Jets best player and I would prefer to keep him* (see my note below), but if an offer like that comes along (1st, 2nd, 3rd) you probably take it and you don't really spend more than 2 minutes considering it.  As fans our first priority is for the team and making it better, and that seems like a deal that would make the team better.  It's up to Joe D to figure out what kind of value Jamal has both with the team (keeping him) and for the team (if trading him).  I don't know exactly what kind of deal is the "right" one to take.  I do think it has to be more than something like the Cowboys 1st (#17).  A 1st and a 3rd was floated around a while ago.....that might be closer but I personally would still want more.

Types of deals I'd take without much hesitation...

1. A 1st, 2nd, 3rd as you proposed from Dallas (middle of the round picks)

2. An above average/excellent starting OLineman + 1st round pick

Types of deals I'd strongly consider and likely take....

1. A 1st and a 2nd

2. An above average/excellent starting OLineman + 2nd round pick

Types of deals that seem close but no cigar (at least for me)..

1. A middle of the 1st Round pick only

2. A middle 1st and middle 3rd

3. Things less than that

* I've spoken about having high expectations for a GM.  We just gave a guy a 6-year contract to fix this team.  He has $$$ and will have 4 picks in the first 3 Rounds.  A good GM needs to think in terms of "And" not "Or."  Joe Douglas has to keep good players AND acquire the necessary new talent for this team.  Joe Douglas needs to build a roster and improve the talent here AND plan for a possible big contract for Sam Darnold in the coming years.  Joe Douglas needs to find a way to upgrade critical parts of the team at OLine/WR/CB, etc. AND keep the few great players that the Jets actually have drafted like Jamal Adams.  Great teams like KC find a way to be good AND to improve.  They don't float the idea of trading Travis Kelce for draft picks or so that they can sign S Tyrann Mathieu for their Defense.  The New York Jets do not have an abundance of talent...so keep what you actually do have.  If Joe Douglas wants more picks then trade down in Round 1 from something like #11 to #16 and take a team's 2nd round pick.  He shouldn't be auctioning off the few good parts we actually do have.  (Steps off soapbox.) :) 

You've been making compelling reasons not to trade Jamal Adams in this thread, but this is the post where I agree with you. If the Jets can get any of those top three or five proposed offers of yours (I'm listening at a first and a third), I think JD absolutely would have to pull the trigger. There are too many holes on the Jets to justify holding onto the best box safety for huge money. 

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tyron smith is YOUNGER than zach martin.  He is also a pro bowl calibre left tackle. 

But he's only been in the league since 2014. He has less tread on the tires, he's a BETTER player, and Tyron Smith has already started getting injured more often as older players tend to.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And PRO BOWL? What is this? Amateur hour? The pro bowl is a joke. Let's talk about players that truly benefit the Jets over the long term because that's what Jamal Adams is worth.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

61 tackles, 1 INT, 6.5 sacks does not merit a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick, nor does it merit $15-$16mm per year. Get a hold of yourselves.

it's funny.  jamal adams completely panned out for the jets.  he is a very good football player, maybe better.  he has lived up to his draft expectations.  

and yet, the jets would be better off trading him for a pretty good offensive lineman.  this is a great lesson in positional value.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Who says no to an Adams to Dallas deal for their 1st 2nd and 3rd rd picks? I think Douglas would do this deal as he’d be loaded with lots of ammunition in this draft to really rebuild this team the way he wants. Dallas might say no but at the same time they’re getting an All Pro safety who could really transform their defense.

Rants-Raves-Feelings

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Who says no to an Adams to Dallas deal for their 1st 2nd and 3rd rd picks? I think Douglas would do this deal as he’d be loaded with lots of ammunition in this draft to really rebuild this team the way he wants. Dallas might say no but at the same time they’re getting an All Pro safety who could really transform their defense.

high basketball wives GIF by VH1

BTW remember when Pittsburgh made that big trade for Minkah, 6 months after trading a 2nd and a 3rd rounder to move up 10 slots draft a MLB; both so soon after already burning a high pick on a safety?

This year it's hard to say, as much expectedly rides on Roethlisberger's health, but unless Rudolph becomes more than a game manager type, in the coming years I think we're going to see Pittsburgh fade.

Their OL is older and not just in upcoming need of new veteran contracts across the board (or will be cap casualties, like probably Foster will be this year), and they're not going to get their veteran LT to re-sign for $6MM/year again. Here are their OL draft picks going backwards in time:

• 2019 = rd 7 Derwin Gray (practice squad)
  • 2018 = rd 3 Okorafor (started 1 game and didn't exactly impress)
  • 2017 = (nobody)
  • 2016 = rd 4 Jerald Hawkins (traded for a 7th round pick) + found RT Feiler as a street FA (stupid luck)
  • 2015 = (nobody)
  • 2014 = rd 5 Wesley Johnson :) + found LT Villanueva as UDFA (extreme stupid luck)
  • 2013 = (nobody)
  • Their last draft hit was taking DeCastro in round 1 back in 2012; before him was Pouncey in 2010.

Despite knowing their OL is coming to an end, they've only minimally invested in the area while quadrupling-down on their secondary. They do tend to use a day 2 pick at WR almost every year. Feiler is an RFA this year, but they'll keep him for so little. Then after that, like I was saying above ... Villanueva's contract is up in 2021 when he turns 33, so is Foster's (if he's not cut now, but he's even older anyway), and Feiler is scheduled to be a 29 yr old UFA. In 2022 still more: Pouncey (turns 31), DeCastro (turns 32), and Okrafor (sucks so far; might be starting or may even be cut by then).

While all those OL guys hit FA status, there's more. Both Dupree & Hargrave are scheduled to be UFAs in March. TJ Watt in 2021. DBs Minkah-Edmunds-Nelson-Hayden all 2021-2022. They have just one draft pick between rounds 1 thru 3 this year (#49 overall) until they get a very late 3rd rd comp pick for Bell when those get announced (calling that a late 3rd or high 4th is a difference in semantics/name only; it's after the 32nd pick in round 3). 

I'm just saying it's a lot of guys they won't be able to retain even at double their 2018-2020 compensation. And they did so while using & losing a LOT of recent high picks for 2 safeties and an ILB (2018 1st, 2019 1st, 2020 1st, 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd); plus myopically missing out on another 1st round pick (perhaps more) by tagging Bell with the exclusive tag. 

Despite this one-time time investment on my part, I'm concerned about the Jets not the Steelers. But since they're following a similar investment pattern the Jets did a few years back, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out when the dust settles. 

• Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You guys and these Jamal Adams trades, you’re going to be very disappointed.  Ain’t happening. 

50 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

nope.  teams aren't willing to give up that much for him.  he's staying.  

I'm not going to predict whether it will or won't happen.  But SHOULD it happen if the opportunity arises again?  Absolutely. 

And this idea that there's no way Jerry Jones re-enters trade discussions for Jamal and would be unwilling to make a substanial offer again makes little sense to me.  Jones isn't getting any younger.  Big game hunting is part of his approach.  This Dallas team was already built via the draft.  Now he wants to win.  If he thinks Jamal is the final piece to that puzzle, he'll give up draft picks, and some pretty good ones. 

Maybe he'd try to give us 2021 picks in place of some 2020 ones (which I'd be OK with), but he'd give up picks.  

And of course its not just Jerry.  Other teams would jump into the bidding war.  Like Baltimore, Oakland, etc.

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's funny.  jamal adams completely panned out for the jets.  he is a very good football player, maybe better.  he has lived up to his draft expectations.  

and yet, the jets would be better off trading him for a pretty good offensive lineman.  this is a great lesson in positional value.  

Well, he panned out in a vacuum.  But to your point on positional value, he of course didn't pan out when compared to that ridiculously strong 2017 draft class.  Mahomes, Watson, Christian McCaffrey, TJ Watt, Kamara, Cook, JuJu, Eddie Jackson, Kittle, Kupp, Golladay,  etc.

We got Jamal, Marcus Maye, and 2 crappy WRs in a draft class where we had opportunities to grab a franchise QB, a stud RB/WR, and/or stud TE and STILL grabbed an awesome Safety in Eddie Jackson.  

What a travesty.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

BTW remember when Pittsburgh made that big trade for Minkah, 6 months after trading a 2nd and a 3rd rounder to move up 10 slots draft a MLB; both so soon after already burning a high pick on a safety?

This year it's hard to say, as much expectedly rides on Roethlisberger's health, but unless Rudolph becomes more than a game manager type, in the coming years I think we're going to see Pittsburgh fade.

Their OL is older and not just in upcoming need of new veteran contracts across the board (or will be cap casualties, like probably Foster will be this year), and they're not going to get their veteran LT to re-sign for $6MM/year again. Here are their OL draft picks going backwards in time:

• 2019 = rd 7 Derwin Gray (practice squad)
  • 2018 = rd 3 Okorafor (started 1 game and didn't exactly impress)
  • 2017 = (nobody)
  • 2016 = rd 4 Jerald Hawkins (traded for a 7th round pick) + found RT Feiler as a street FA (stupid luck)
  • 2015 = (nobody)
  • 2014 = rd 5 Wesley Johnson :) + found LT Villanueva as UDFA (extreme stupid luck)
  • 2013 = (nobody)
  • Their last draft hit was taking DeCastro in round 1 back in 2012; before him was Pouncey in 2010.

Despite knowing their OL is coming to an end, they've only minimally invested in the area while quadrupling-down on their secondary. They do tend to use a day 2 pick at WR almost every year. Feiler is an RFA this year, but they'll keep him for so little. Then after that, like I was saying above ... Villanueva's contract is up in 2021 when he turns 33, so is Foster's (if he's not cut now, but he's even older anyway), and Feiler is scheduled to be a 29 yr old UFA. In 2022 still more: Pouncey (turns 31), DeCastro (turns 32), and Okrafor (sucks so far; might be starting or may even be cut by then).

While all those OL guys hit FA status, there's more. Both Dupree & Hargrave are scheduled to be UFAs in March. TJ Watt in 2021. DBs Minkah-Edmunds-Nelson-Hayden all 2021-2022. They have just one draft pick between rounds 1 thru 3 this year (#49 overall) until they get a very late 3rd rd comp pick for Bell when those get announced (calling that a late 3rd or high 4th is a difference in semantics/name only; it's after the 32nd pick in round 3). 

I'm just saying it's a lot of guys they won't be able to retain even at double their 2018-2020 compensation. And they did so while using & losing a LOT of recent high picks for 2 safeties and an ILB (2018 1st, 2019 1st, 2020 1st, 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd); plus myopically missing out on another 1st round pick (perhaps more) by tagging Bell with the exclusive tag. 

Despite this one-time time investment on my part, I'm concerned about the Jets not the Steelers. But since they're following a similar investment pattern the Jets did a few years back, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out when the dust settles. 

I think similar with the Giants, the sentimentality from ownership about their aging qbs doesn’t help either. Ben isn’t Eli, but you can’t just absorb losing Bell and AB, not restocking at OL like you pointed out, And over investing Their resources in the secondary. 

the Minkah trade especially is so resource heavy because they’ve had a ton of bad corner drafts which caused the need gor this to happen. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, he panned out in a vacuum.  But to your point on positional value, he of course didn't pan out when compared to that ridiculously strong 2017 draft class.  Mahomes, Watson, Christian McCaffrey, TJ Watt, Kamara, Cook, JuJu, Eddie Jackson, Kittle, Kupp, Golladay,  etc.

We got Jamal, Marcus Maye, and 2 crappy WRs in a draft class where we had opportunities to grab a franchise QB, a stud RB/WR, and/or stud TE and STILL grabbed an awesome Safety in Eddie Jackson.  

What a travesty.  

All those players you mentioned are successful individuals some on decent teams. 

So do you propose we trade every good player we somehow hopefully manage to get for draft picks and just keep repeating that cycle because it seems we've drafted all crap with the #1 pick and basically entire drafts prior to drafting Jamal Adams. 

What happens if the picks we trade Jamal Adams for turn out to be busts. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What a travesty.  

he was billed as a top prospect, and he's played like one.  but having a top safety just doesn't really translate to points or wins that often.  the position needs to be considered when drafting at the top of a draft.  if the jets drafted adams with the 29th pick in the 1st round, adams would be heralded more here, but not to the point of wanting to pay him franchise money.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

what is wrong with you nicole kidman GIF

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

In the leaked proposal that came out at the deadline Dallas rejected the offer of a 1st and one of their o lineman. If they get to keep their lineman but have to add in a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd too might be something they’d do

Actually it was leaked a 1st and a 4th was asked and Jones said no. I'm sure he will think your deal is much better

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

And PRO BOWL? What is this? Amateur hour? The pro bowl is a joke. Let's talk about players that truly benefit the Jets over the long term because that's what Jamal Adams is worth.

wut?  Adams is a pro bowler and the only reason he has any perceived value as a player is because teams look at him as a pro bowler.

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

61 tackles, 1 INT, 6.5 sacks does not merit a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick, nor does it merit $15-$16mm per year. Get a hold of yourselves.

Agreed but IF some team is dumb enough to offer something like that the Jets would be equally as dumb if not dumber to pass on it.  It is conceivable the pitt miami deal for minkah was pretty good haul wise, worked out for pitt and jamal is at the absolute apex of his value.

• Upvote 1