Jets highly unlikely to sign Anderson

choon328

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Choon has always hated Robby. If he had 2000 yds receiving, he's say they were all yards in garbage time.

You guys act like Robby was Keyshawn Johnson here.  He’s never even had a 1,000 yard season and hasn’t even cracked 800 yards last 2 seasons

if this wasn’t a totally stacked draft class at WR I would agree with you guys we need to give Robby $70 mil

47 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You guys act like Robby was Keyshawn Johnson here.  He’s never even had a 1,000 yard season and hasn’t even cracked 800 yards last 2 seasons

if this wasn’t a totally stacked draft class at WR I would agree with you guys we need to give Robby $70 mil

He had Falk for three games, and a QB who was seeing ghosts against the Pats and Jaguars. That's close to 1/3 of the season with well below average, at best QB play. He would have had a thousand yards plus if Mccown didn't get hurt. Petty couldn't hit the broad side of a barn

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The "he was hurt by his QB" argument falls flat for me.  We have a 4-year sample size on Robby.  His catch rate in those 4 years were 54 %, 55 %, 53 %, and 54 %.  Very consistent across all QB's. 

He is what he is.  You don't pay $13M+ per for a guy who once almost got 1,000 yards.

A 4 year sample size of eratic QB play, and an offensive line that had troubles blocking. When he did have a QB, who had average skills, a QB who was around the league long enough to read defenses quickly, and find the open receiver he had close to a thousand yards. My belief is that Robby with a Darnold that has more time to throw, and feels more comfortable back there, Robby will help us win alot of games. I want him resigned, and i want us to draft a receiver that we all wanted Enunwa to be.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And what exactly is going to change there?  Darnold is erratic, the OL needs a ton of work, and Gase is still calling the plays.  

There are no excuses in fixing our offensive line this off season. None. This draft is loaded with good ones, and they'll be some good ones available in FA. That's why we need to retain our good players. not just Robby, but Poole and Jenkins too. It will allow us to focus on our line,,and edge, and another WR. We fix our offensive line, we find out quikly about Darnold, and whether Gase is a 170 pounds of dog s...

54 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The smart play would be to spend the Robby money elsewhere, especially since this draft class is chock full of good WR's, but then the first WR we draft simply replaces Robby instead of complimenting him and the offense.  This team needs weapons.  Tough call.  

It's hard to find players with Anderson's ability. teams have tried for years to find a guy who can do what Robby does, most of them can't beat press coverage, Robby might night be physical enough to catch all balls that are contested, but he does beat press coverage on a regular basis. Teams maul that guy, and he still gets open deep on a regul;ar basis.

• Upvote 1

Robby is a good player, not a great one.  If he will sign for good WR money - in the $10M - $12.5M PYA - then the Jets should keep him, and draft someone too.

If Robby hits FA and gets silly money offers - i.e. $15M PYA and upwards - the Jets should let him go, sign a cheaper young veteran (e.g. Breshad Perriman, DeMarcus Robinson), and add some additional WR talent in the draft.

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Robby is a good player, not a great one.  If he will sign for good WR money - in the $10M - $12.5M PYA - then the Jets should keep him, and draft someone too.

If Robby hits FA and gets silly money offers - i.e. $15M PYA and upwards - the Jets should let him go, sign a cheaper young veteran (e.g. Breshad Perriman, DeMarcus Robinson), and add some additional WR talent in the draft.

That would suck. Im a little angry that Douglas didn't apparently try to extend Robby before the season ended. It's just too risky to let a guy like that hit Fa, and have some team blow him away with some outrageous offer.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hamat711 said:

What you just stated isn't possible with realistic NFL contracts.

It's going to be scary watching this offense without Anderson threatening over the top. No one else on this team besides Vyncent Smith has speed, Crowder, Bell, even guys like Lamb and Higgins in this years draft arent burners. 

I also love how people bring up how Anderson hasn't cracked a 1000 yards so he isn't worth the money. This Oline and the lack of a consistent deep ball from Darnold really limits his production. Check out recent WR production from the Jets WR's in the past decade or 2, only a handful have received 1000 yards. (Decker, Marshal, Coles, Keyshawn, Santana) 

It's tough since Robbie is probably not worth 13mil a year but given the circumstances with Darnold in an important 3rd year, you can't take away his most talented WR, imo. Let Robbie walk and you have no one of his caliber in FA and you approach the draft with massive holes now at WR, CB, and obviously OL. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets Fan Mantra.

Lol. Generally your right. We could have won this game, if.................If we didn't have injuries we could have................................I think though, looking at Robby's production, it's fair to say that QB and our Oline has held back our offense, which includes Robby. No????

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, genot said:

Lol. Generally your right. We could have won this game, if.................If we didn't have injuries we could have................................I think though, looking at Robby's production, it's fair to say that QB and our Oline has held back our offense, which includes Robby. No????

Except other WRs have still done better than him during the same window, most recently Crowder who outperformed him across the board this past season.  Anderson isn't bad, but the idea that we need to toss out every negative piece of evidence that has persisted his entire career because he is somehow blameless for his own shortcomings is not based in reality.  After 4 years, Anderson has pretty clearly shown to everyone exactly what he is, and that's fine, but let's not pretend it's something else.

59 minutes ago, genot said:

Im a little angry that Douglas didn't apparently try to extend Robby before the season ended. 

The proper move if he was unable to re-sign him would have been to move him at the deadline.  Still don't know why we didn't do that if we weren't going to re-sign him. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

It's going to be scary watching this offense without Anderson threatening over the top. No one else on this team besides Vyncent Smith has speed, Crowder, Bell, even guys like Lamb and Higgins in this years draft arent burners. 

You conveniently left off Ruggs who is faster than Anderson and probably a better all around talent than Robby. And Jeudy will likely be a sub 4.4 guy.

Either way, while it's nice to have a burner like Robby, not all great passing attacks have a burner. Dak had almost 5k passing yards and Cooper/Gallup are not sub 4.4 burners and Witten runs slower than some offensive lineman. 

Speed is great, but I rather have a great route runner than a pure burner like Anderson. 

• Upvote 2

Just watched @GREENBEAN 's video (great job as usual).

Not sure if Smith can/will replace Anderson, but there definitely needs to be a cap on how much we are willing to spend on him. Given his body type (not exactly build for NFL longevity), the "knucklehead factor" (yeah, he's said/done some stupid stuff off the field ) and not knowing how he will perform once he gets paid, I wouldn't do more than 3 years/ 40 million and maybe guarantee 25-30 of it. Haven't looked up what other WRs his age & production are getting, but if this draft is deep at WR,, then we need to look at more cost friendly alternatives.

1 hour ago, genot said:

It's hard to find players with Anderson's ability. teams have tried for years to find a guy who can do what Robby does, most of them can't beat press coverage, Robby might night be physical enough to catch all balls that are contested, but he does beat press coverage on a regular basis. Teams maul that guy, and he still gets open deep on a regul;ar basis.

robby anderson is Donte Stallworth... you don't pay 13-15 Mill a year for Donte Stallworth.

End of Story... There is no upside there.

17 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Just watched @GREENBEAN 's video (great job as usual).

Not sure if Smith can/will replace Anderson, but there definitely needs to be a cap on how much we are willing to spend on him. Given his body type (not exactly build for NFL longevity), the "knucklehead factor" (yeah, he's said/done some stupid stuff off the field ) and not knowing how he will perform once he gets paid, I wouldn't do more than 3 years/ 40 million and maybe guarantee 25-30 of it. Haven't looked up what other WRs his age & production are getting, but if this draft is deep at WR,, then we need to look at more cost friendly alternatives.

I think your offer is in the ballpark, I'd be willing to give him a 4th year though, considering his age and the fact he's been a good soldier/teammate the last few years.This team has very little homegrown talent, I don't see the sense of letting Anderson walk and getting nothing back, then just have to go looking for a replacement.

People here keep assuming what a great GM Douglas is going to be. So far I'm not impressed by anything he's said or done, and the Anderson contract is one of the prime examples of why I'm not.

He should have made a decision with him months ago. If he wanted to resign him, make an offer. Robby wanted to stay, and probably would've accepted a fair contract and the security it would bring. If Douglas didn't think he was worth the market rate, he should've tried very hard to trade him and get back a pick or another player.

Instead he did nothing, and here we are doing the JN amateur GM thing with this. 

1 hour ago, genot said:

Guess we'll find out when Robby lands in his next team.

If.....then he'll have 1,000 Yards.

If not.....he won't.

53 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

robby anderson is Donte Stallworth... you don't pay 13-15 Mill a year for Donte Stallworth.

End of Story... There is no upside there.

Stallworth couldn't break 1000 yds with Drew Brees. i can't prove to you that Anderson would if he was there. My opinion though is i think he would, and if not, he still would have been of great value to them. What would Anderson do with the Chiefs. OMFG. If your behind by a touchdown with a minute to go, you want someone like that on the field.

28 minutes ago, genot said:

Stallworth couldn't break 1000 yds with Drew Brees. i can't prove to you that Anderson would if he was there. My opinion though is i think he would, and if not, he still would have been of great value to them. What would Anderson do with the Chiefs. OMFG. If your behind by a touchdown with a minute to go, you want someone like that on the field.

My point is that Donte Stallworth and Robby Anderson are similar route runners and have similar stats... Everyone thought Stallworth would be better... got a contract to go Philly and did nothing and then moved to pats and nothing and... then CLE, Wash, and NE again still with a mediocre career... they are more similar then you think. 

Robby disappears in a year he needed to ball out. Sure some was QB inconsistency... but 1 or 2 catches in 6 games that year... come on... The only 2 games he actually played well were the two games that they were missing many players in the secondary... Bengals and Miami... His first game in Miami, he did nothing... 

He is not good enough to get paid more then Crowder... Period Stop. I like the way RA tracks the ball. I would love him to stay on the Jets as a piece... Pay him like a high end #2 low end #1... umm no... at this point he has shown nothing to prove that he is going to get better then last year.  He has had 4 years to prove it and very little has been proven. 

As for replacing him... its actually not that hard... there are tons of inexpensive alternatives to him.

1. Lazard
  2. Perriman
  3. Robinson
  4. Allison
  5. Agholor
  6. Cole
  7. Higgins
  8. Doss
  9. Coleman

Although you may not agree they have the same potential has RA.

24 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

My point is that Donte Stallworth and Robby Anderson are similar route runners and have similar stats... Everyone thought Stallworth would be better... got a contract to go Philly and did nothing and then moved to pats and nothing and... then CLE, Wash, and NE again still with a mediocre career... they are more similar then you think. 

Robby disappears in a year he needed to ball out. Sure some was QB inconsistency... but 1 or 2 catches in 6 games that year... come on... The only 2 games he actually played well were the two games that they were missing many players in the secondary... Bengals and Miami... His first game in Miami, he did nothing... 

He is not good enough to get paid more then Crowder... Period Stop. I like the way RA tracks the ball. I would love him to stay on the Jets as a piece... Pay him like a high end #2 low end #1... umm no... at this point he has shown nothing to prove that he is going to get better then last year.  He has had 4 years to prove it and very little has been proven. 

As for replacing him... its actually not that hard... there are tons of inexpensive alternatives to him.

1. Lazard
  2. Perriman
  3. Robinson
  4. Allison
  5. Agholor
  6. Cole
  7. Higgins
  8. Doss
  9. Coleman

Although you may not agree they have the same potential has RA.

I respect your views, and you could be right. Those 6 games you mentioned, where he had 1 or two catches. Five of them was when we had piss poor QB play. I don't want to pay Robby 15 Mill a year, but if we have 12 in mind and someone signs him for 13.5, i'd be pissed. Sometimes you have to chose one negative over an other negative. Overpay a little, and keep a weapon Darnold is familiar with, or scramble to find a replacement, who might come here and suck eggs, like Trumaine.

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

showin us how bad the qb is doesnt support your argument

26th ranked for 2 years

How do you explain Jamison Crowders 2019 then? Why didn't Anderson have the year Crowder did in 2019? I'll answer it for you.  Anderson has a limited route tree and zero ability to get off man coverage except for running Go's and comebacks. He has no ability to make defenders miss in the open field with the ball in his hands.  That's why for the last 3 years he hasn't improved statistically. He's holding himself back. He has the deep threat ability of Tyreek Hill and the shiftiness of Ben Watson. And i think Watson would be offended by that comparison. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

I respect your views, and you could be right. Those 6 games you mentioned, where he had 1 or two catches. Five of them was when we had piss poor QB play. I don't want to pay Robby 15 Mill a year, but if we have 12 in mind and someone signs him for 13.5, i'd be pissed. Sometimes you have to chose one negative over an other negative. Overpay a little, and keep a weapon Darnold is familiar with, or scramble to find a replacement, who might come here and suck eggs, like Trumaine.

Familiarity is overrated.  See Crowder, Ryan Griffin,  Thomas.  You don't overpay for familiarity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

Anderson would've been the 4th or 5th option on the Chiefs this year. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, genot said:

The difference is you can pay someone like Lazard or Allison 6 Mill a year and possibly even get 2 of them for the price of Robby at 13.5... He is not worth it. Maybe its bad QB play... but all of those games were with Darnold at various points throughout the year... The bigger point is that Robby has had years to prove his worth and in his defining year he disappeared at times. At 13.5 Mill a year you need to be spending that on a player that makes a difference. Robby has not proven he can. I like him... I said as much... but Jets need difference makers... not burners earning top WR money... 8-10 a year... understandable... 12 is an overpay.... 13-15 is just spending dumb money...