Jets highly unlikely to sign Anderson

choon328

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

How quickly fan favorites turn to villains. All for negotiating for salary.

If I had to guess, 90% of JN is a bunch of mediocre performing drags on their current employer, all of whom think they are underpaid and ‘owed something’. So it makes perfect sense that they render emotionally charged opinions on players who routinely go thru the process of getting paid what they deserve.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets will struggle to win 5 games with that offense. 

That's the problem. It's hard to replace an entire O-line and get atleast two new WRs with the available free agents and the Jets cap space. 

It will take atleast two years to fix this unless the Jets hit several home runs in the draft.

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

I’m not opposed To it I like Jeudy and lamb alot. But I think the tackle position drops off a lot more than the WR heading into rd 2.. I actually like a lot guys at WR in this class. Wouldn’t surprise if a couple of them become #1 caliber players. Now if the big 4 OTs are gone I’m 100% on board Jeudy or Lamb.

But if they go balls out and sign Conklin in FA, then it changes the draft a lot. They could go wr/OT, rather than OT/wr.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Robby's value was projected around 12 mil per year so it's not crazy that he is asking for 13 mil per year. He is the best available deep threat in free agency by a large margin.

If he walks the Jets need to go all in on OL during free agency even if it means overpaying guys. Cooper and AJ green are likely staying with their teams and Sanders won't likely come to the Jets. Every other free agent WR is worse than Robby.

The WR position was already weak and now it will take significant draft capital to help correct it and it's unlikely to be solved in 2020. It's hard to depend on rookie WRs.

This year is very important for Darnold's future so the Jets can't mess around with his weapon and OL. If Darnold doesn't make significant strides, Gase is likely gone and the new Coach will have little reason to stick with Darnold.

Here is my best scenario.....

1.Sign Perriman to replace Robbie

2.Sign Bulaga, Dotson or Constanzo to play OT because Conklin will likely cost too much. 

3.Resign Alex Lewis and target Quinton Spain to play guards

4.sign a cheap center and use later picks to get a center

5.Draft the best available WR or OL. Ideally you get a good tackle to solidify the O-line and take a WR in the 2nd round.

The offense will look like.....

QB-Darnold

RB-Bell

WR-Perriman, Crowder, 2nd rounder

OL-1st Rounder, Bulaga, Spain, Alex Lewis, late rounder/cheap FA

It's not amazing but with the available resources, it's hard to improve the offense around Darnold.

And we’d finish dead last in offense again with this brilliant plan lmao 

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If I had to guess, 90% of JN is a bunch of mediocre performing drags on their current employer, all of whom think they are underpaid and ‘owed something’. So it makes perfect sense that they render emotionally charged opinions on players who routinely go thru the process of getting paid what they deserve.

Sounds like someone knows from personal experience. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

And we’d finish dead last in offense again with this brilliant plan lmao 

How would you fix it with realistic contracts? The Jets are projected to have 56 Mil in cap space and you need 10 mil for draft picks so you have 46 mil to spend. 

Here are some of the projected per year averages for the 2020 free agents

Bulaga - 10mil+

Scherff - 12mil+

Conklin - 15mil+

Sanders - 10 Mil and he likely won't come to the Jets

Cooper - 19.7mil

Robby - 12 Mil

Jets need at least 4 new O-linemen and at least 2 new WRs and this doesn't even touch the defense.

3 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

How would you fix it with realistic contracts? The Jets are projected to have 56 Mil in cap space and you need 10 mil for draft picks so you have 46 mil to spend. 

Here are some of the projected per year averages for the 2020 free agents

Bulaga - 10mil+

Scherff - 12mil+

Conklin - 15mil+

Sanders - 10 Mil and he likely won't come to the Jets

Cooper - 19.7mil

Robby - 12 Mil

Jets need at least 4 new O-linemen and at least 2 new WRs and this doesn't even touch the defense.

Resign Beachem, Anderson, Poole, 1 of Hewitt or Burgess, Maulet, Alex Lewis, and J.Jenkins

Cut Roberts, Winters, T.Johnson, possibly trade Avery if you can get a 4th but i'd probably keep him

Still have some cap to get Glasgow and someone like Logan Ryan. While still potentially landing one of Judon, Conklin, Ngakoue, Castonzo?(dount Indy lets him go), or Byron Jones. Literally landing any of these tier one FA's would help to plug some of the holes on this roster before the draft.

1st round Jeudy, Lamb, or one of the OT's (Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Beckton, Jones depending on how they test and all that) unless someone like Okudah or Young falls

Than go C, WR, CB, G in Rounds 2-4 depending on whos there and draft for value after round 5

If they trade Jamal for a 1st and 3rd or more, then something like Lamb/Beckton or Wirfs/Jeudy or Higgins could happen. Having 3 3rd round picks would do wonders for the Oline and WR's 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Hmmm, 

22 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that Joe is not going to sign Anderson, Adams or Bell.  On the outside "yes", but behind closed doors "no".

If Adams is seeking 16-17 per year then yeah hopefully this new regime has enough sense to move him.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:05 PM, Joe Jets fan said:

Ok, we all get it.   We really do.  You don’t like Adams and don’t want him to get a deal. 
can you now please stop bringing it up in every single topic please?    

The comparison puts it in perspective 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

:-k

1 hour ago, MindOverMatter said:

Resign Beachem, Anderson, Poole, 1 of Hewitt or Burgess, Maulet, Alex Lewis, and J.Jenkins

Cut Roberts, Winters, T.Johnson, possibly trade Avery if you can get a 4th but i'd probably keep him

Still have some cap to get Glasgow and someone like Logan Ryan. While still potentially landing one of Judon, Conklin, Ngakoue, Castonzo?(dount Indy lets him go), or Byron Jones. Literally landing any of these tier one FA's would help to plug some of the holes on this roster before the draft.

1st round Jeudy, Lamb, or one of the OT's (Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Beckton, Jones depending on how they test and all that) unless someone like Okudah or Young falls

Than go C, WR, CB, G in Rounds 2-4 depending on whos there and draft for value after round 5

If they trade Jamal for a 1st and 3rd or more, then something like Lamb/Beckton or Wirfs/Jeudy or Higgins could happen. Having 3 3rd round picks would do wonders for the Oline and WR's 

What you just stated isn't possible with realistic NFL contracts.

3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

There’s no John Brown available. If there was that’d be cool. Permian maybe, but hard to trust him at this point. 

Id just rather keep weapons that Sams grown with then take them away at this point in his career. But hey, if you can promise me a Terry Mcluarin in the 3rd then sure. 

Robby was the 4th option on the team last year and you guys want to give him $15 million? In the 2 years him and Darnold played together:

24 Games played together. 

8 games with 50+ receiving yards

5 games with 5+ rec.

So in 16 of the 24 games he played with Darnold he's gotten LESS than 50 yards receiving. 

And in 19 of the 24 games got less than 5 rec in a game. 

You think those stats are worth $15 million per year? 

• Upvote 2

Robby would be a perfect fit with Patrick Mahomes. I’d love to see what those 2 would do together. 

I don’t think Robby fits Darnolds game. Darnold needs a WR who’s best asset is route running. 

Not that I wouldn’t want Robby back on the right deal, but a sign and trade with the chiefs or another QB with a cannon would be most ideal. Then grab a top WR in both FA and the draft who’s game isn’t just a 1 dimensional deep threat. 

• Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Robby was the 4th option on the team last year and you guys want to give him $15 million? In the 2 years him and Darnold played together:

5 games with 5+ rec.

So in 16 of the 24 games he played with Darnold he's gotten LESS than 50 yards receiving. 

4th option?? Behind who exactly?

4 hours ago, jgb said:

How quickly fan favorites turn to villains. All for negotiating for salary.

Great post. Given the shelf life and all body sacrifice - I think every player should seek out the best contract possible for them. If JD keeps him for an amount he’s comfortably with great. If Robby finds it elsewhere I’d be happy for him too. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2020 at 1:31 PM, NYJ1 said:

Or maybe he comes back after testing FA? He doesn't have numbers warranting 13 to 15. So maybe he comes back later? Either way I'm fine. I do not want Douglas breaking the bank for him. He's not worth it.

Robbie might also be surprised that teams (including the Jets) see lots of WR's who are cheaper (rookies to draft) rather than pay a premium price. All the free agent WR's will be seeing more competition - from a salary and a roster spot/cap expense proposition - than they think, depressing the amount they might otherwise cash in on. If it was a crap year for drafting their position, they might get a rush of GM's willing to overpay. But not this year - veteran WR's are competing against the rookies and their cap hits vs. their own.

10 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Anderson was a nice find for the Jets but I don't see anything that warrants that salary

The issue is less about money for the Jets and more about finding/retaining skilled players. We are not a "destination franchise" and the cupboard is embarrassingly empty.

9 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

Great post. Given the shelf life and all body sacrifice - I think every player should seek out the best contract possible for them. If JD keeps him for an amount he’s comfortably with great. If Robby finds it elsewhere I’d be happy for him too. 

Absolutely. I used to be on the other side of this issue. @slats actually convinced me to see it this way. I even support holdouts, now. That doesn't mean all holdouts are a smart use of leverage, but it's every player's right. Why should a player honor a contract that the franchise can terminate?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Other teams do it & so can we. Why can't we sign 2 Olineman AND Amari Cooper?

Both Trumaine Johnson & Le'veon Bell won't be here in 2021, that's 2 huge salaries that will be off the books. 

Draft olineman, another WR, a RB, Edge & CB in the draft. You don't need pro bowlers at every position on the Oline if the defense has to defend Amari Cooper, Ceedee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy, Herndon, Bell, maybe Dobbins or Taylor at backup RB? We resigned Brown to be more versatile & be able to go 3 TEs with Herndon, Griffin & Brown or Wesco. 

Give Sam 4 guys that fight for the ball with his accuracy & we should be in business. You go from Anderson, Crowder, Smyth & basically no TE, to Cooper, Jeudy or Lamb, Crowder & Herndon and Bell in the backfield, that's the best offensive weapons in the entire AFC East. 

13 hours ago, choon328 said:

5 games with 5+ rec.

showin us how bad the qb is doesnt support your argument

26th ranked for 2 years

23 hours ago, choon328 said:

When did I say this? I just re-read thr entire thread and can't find it.  It does happen to be true.  He's a 170 lb one trick pony who doesn't have the ability to make defenders miss in the open field. In the last 2 seasons he's played well in about 8 games.  8 out of 30. That warrants nothing more than $8 million per on a short contract with little guarantees.  Some team will overpay and be very disappointed. 

i get that yiu dont rate ra. he's better than his qbs are/haVE BEEN.