Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

For all the adulation from Fans on this board. The Jets, as currently constituted (after not re-signing Robby) are worse than they were before FA started.

And for this Jet fans are falling over themselves to say how great JD is.

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be a downer but at this point in FA there is little offensive talent left to make this team any better.

We’re counting on essentially 4 draft picks (1,2, and 2 3’s) to add above average talent to this team.   Otherwise this team is without a single weapon anyone would be worried about on both offense and defense (maybe Jamal Adams)

Barring a big trade we can expect an awful lot of what we’ve seen the past 4 seasons next year.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

For all the adulation from Fans on this board. The Jets, as currently constituted (after not re-signing Robby) are worse than they were before FA started.

And for this Jet fans are falling over themselves to say how great JD is.

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be a downer but at this point in FA there is little offensive talent left to make this team any better.

We’re counting on essentially 4 draft picks (1,2, and 2 3’s) to add above average talent to this team.   Otherwise this team is without a single weapon anyone would be worried about on both offense and defense (maybe Jamal Adams)

Barring a big trade we can expect an awful of what we’ve seen the past 4 seasons next year.

Fidelio where negativity reigns supreme even if it makes no sense ? 

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, its Jets fans' fault the team has sucked for 50 years.

JD is doing just fine at evaluating the market.  And last I checked, quite a few players have already signed back here.  

It was a silly nonsense statement.  6 FA have signed here. 5 of them for, IMO, very good team contracts.  4 Jets have returned for surprizing cheap contracts.

Just a silly statement

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And where o you get good players in this modern NFL? IN THE DRAFT

Is the draft supppse to fix all our needs?

cause we now need 2 outside starting WRs instead one 1 , still need a starting level LT , still need a Corner , still need a Edge . 

That's the plan. There are 20-25 receivers in this draft better than Robby. He does not move the needle in the bigger picture for the Jets. We will be ok, trust me.

Potential is the dirty word in sports that gets people fired . Anderson was an UDFA who proved he could play NFL football and got paid today because of it . All those draft able players that are supposedly better than Anderson hasn’t proven a darn thing against NFL defenders .
Perriman was drafted, and today he doesn’t have a job but some are hoping that the Jets sign him to fill the void of a player who did what many didn’t like because of his off the field . Me personally I don’t know Anderson so other than rooting for his success on game day while he was a Jet I have no opinion about him .
I simply don’t know the man .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And you just lost all credibility. Because I would actually like to see you prove this point

Show me how it’s better...

1) We added an average guard and center (I’ll concede a average is an upgrade)

2) We likely slightly downgraded at T - Both Shell and Beachum were better last year than Fant (Look it up)

3) We signed a whole bunch of our guys from last year (call that a wash)

4) We lost our only true offensive threat in Robby.

it’s basically Robby vs. an average guard and center.

I take Robby in that scenario. Right now the roster is worse than when FA started.

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We would have been desperate for WRs whether Robby were here or not.  Now we just need to draft 2-3 instead of 1-2.  It's really not a big deal.

It seems like it is because we only have so many draft picks. 

If you had Robby on the team on a reasonable contract, you are basically entering the draft looking for a #1 receiver. Now, you might be entering the draft looking for a #1 and #2 WR. 

I don''t consider that difference to be negligible. 

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Potential is the dirty word in sports that gets people fired . Anderson was an UDFA who proved he could play NFL football and got paid today because of it . All those draft able players that are supposedly better than Anderson hasn’t proven a darn thing against NFL defenders .
Perriman was drafted, and today he doesn’t have a job but some are hoping that the Jets sign him to fill the void of a player who did what many didn’t like because of his off the field . Me personally I don’t know Anderson so other than rooting for his success on game day while he was a Jet I have no opinion about him .
I simply don’t know the man .

Re read your post...it sounds like you definitely have an opinion about him. I respect your opinion, always have, always will . I just don't share it. He did some very good things for this team, but I can see why JD let him go. Not that Robby is a problem, but I think JD and Gase don't see him as part of the solution, either. We'll see.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Show me how it’s better...

1) We added an average guard and center (I’ll concede a average is an upgrade)

2) We likely slightly downgraded at T - Both Shell and Beachum were better last year than Fant (Look it up)

3) We signed a whole bunch of our guys from last year (call that a wash)

4) We lost our only true offensive threat in Robby.

it’s basically Robby vs. an average guard and center.

I take Robby in that scenario. Right now the roster is worse than when FA started.

I don't because a good OL can make WRs and QBs better by themselves

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

So is everybody else that’s why he has been considered the best Corner in football for few years now.. but hey I’m sure some random 3rd rounder given our history of drafting Receivers lately Gonna come in and thrive.  Feel like I have seen this plan somewhere  before . 

I mean, you can be upset all you want, be my guest.  You brought Gilmore into this, not me.  Robby sucked hot ass when lined up with Gilmore.  That's a fact, so it won't actually be hard to replace the production.  In fact, a higher upside prospect will likely give you better than what Robby gave you.

Also, we're likely going WR in the first 2 rounds so forget the apathetic "random 3rd rounder" attitude.  Lastly, the teams history has nothing to do with Joe Douglas.  Maccagnan's failures had nothing to do with Idzik, and Idzik's had nothing to do with Tannenbaum.  Every regime is different, so using the past to criticize the future is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

It seems like it is because we only have so many draft picks. 

If you had Robby on the team on a reasonable contract, you are basically entering the draft looking for a #1 receiver. Now, you might be entering the draft looking for a #1 and #2 WR. 

I don''t consider that difference to be negligible. 

Not a one year fix

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

I mean, you can be upset all you want, be my guest.  You brought Gilmore into this, not me.  Robby sucked hot ass when lined up with Gilmore.  That's a fact, so it won't actually be hard to replace the production.  In fact, a higher upside prospect will likely give you better than what Robby gave you.

Also, we're likely going WR in the first 2 rounds so forget the apathetic "random 3rd rounder" attitude.  Lastly, the teams history has nothing to do with Joe Douglas.  Maccagnan's failures had nothing to do with Idzik, and Idzik's had nothing to do with Tannenbaum.  Every regime is different, so using the past to criticize the future is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

We still don’t have starting level  offensive tackles but where going reciever rd 1 and 2..  

You can certainly have your opinion, my belief has merit too.

But to say I lose credibility for that statement is wrong and you know it. 

Yes but opinions should be backed up with fact in order to have good debate. And my fact is simply this. I have seen the Patriots win Super Bowls with a great TE and a good WR. So don't tell me that Robby Anderson will break Sam Darnold to pieces. If that is the case, then he isnt the one anyway

Re read your post...it sounds like you definitely have an opinion about him. I respect your opinion, always have, always will . I just don't share it. He did some very good things for this team, but I can see why JD let him go. Not that Robby is a problem, but I think JD and Gase don't see him as part of the solution, either. We'll see.

I have no problem with the GM letting Anderson walk . I would also have had no problem with him resigning Anderson. I simply refuse to disparage this player because he tried to get the best deal he possibly could.
The business side of football is none of my concern. I’m a Jet fan and when you put on the colors, I become a fan unless you played for that team in Miami prior in which case I will tolerate you and hope you leave ASAP .

• Upvote 2

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

1 OL 1 WR (for the moment) 1 CB

This is not the edge rusher draft so put that aside. And they got Jenkins back

That’s must be our depth chart cause we sure need more than one WR. I would argue with need a LT and a RT well good ones Atleast . 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1 OL 1 WR (for the moment) 1 CB

This is not the edge rusher draft so put that aside. And they got Jenkins back

We need more than 1 WR. 

We need a minimum of 2 starting caliber WRs. Minimum. We currently have the worst WR corps in the league. (at least, there is no team I can think of with a distinctly worse WR group)

• Upvote 1

Jets badly need WR help. You cant enter the season with the current WR/TE corps and expect Darnold to have success.

You're never going to have a long term answer at every position. So if Douglas needs to make a trade for a veteran pro-bowl-ish WR to play the next 2-3 seasons, then he should probably do that. Right now the offensive cast at WR/TE is just setting Darnold up to fail. Not a single playmaker on this roster. It's ugly. 

And that contract for Robby was reasonable. IMO, if the Jets could have had him for that, then they should have done it.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Yes but opinions should be backed up with fact in order to have good debate. And my fact is simply this. I have seen the Patriots win Super Bowls with a great TE and a good WR. So don't tell me that Robby Anderson will break Sam Darnold to pieces. If that is the case, then he isnt the one anyway

I didn’t say Sam would break.  All I said was, as currently constituted, the team was better before FA starter than it is now.

I love Sam.  But he does need weapons - if we had a world class TE I would be okay.  Robby was the ONLY legitimate weapon we have.  And we let him walk for pretty much the same things we paid a back-up tackle.

Just now, Scoop24 said:

That’s must be our depth chart cause we sure need more than one WR. I would argue with need a LT and a RT well good ones Atleast . 

No you draft a LT and have Fant/Edoga compete for RT.

WR depends on signing a veteran in FA (which is still on the cards)

Draft a corner.

3 picks is what I think the Jets need to be competitive.

42 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Good luck with that . Let’s just draft some 3rd Rd recievers to go up against guys like Gilmore , Jones and Howard . 

Let me know how Robby faired against the Patriots in his career.  I'l wait for an answer. 

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I have no problem with the GM letting Anderson walk . I would also have had no problem with him resigning Anderson. I simply refuse to disparage this player because he tried to get the best deal he possibly could.
The business side of football is none of my concern. I’m a Jet fan and when you put on the colors, I become a fan unless you played for that team in Miami prior in which case I will tolerate you and hope you leave ASAP .

I'm with you there Tin. These kids have a very short shelf like, get the security.That's something we can agree on, I hope.?

• Upvote 1

I didn’t say Sam would break.  All I said was, as currently constituted, the team was better before FA starter than it is now.

I love Sam.  But he does need weapons - if we had a world class TE I would be okay.  Robby was the ONLY legitimate weapon we have.  And we let him walk for pretty much the same things we paid a back-up tackle.

We have two TE's that he has developed a rapport with (Griffin and Herndon)

Crowder had 6 TD catches last year.

So no he was not the only legitimate weapon we had

• Upvote 2