Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

https://nesn.com/2020/02/nfl-rumors-patriots-eyeing-a-j-green-hunter-henry-to-help-tom-brady/

NFL Rumors: Patriots Eyeing A.J. Green, Hunter Henry To Help Tom Brady?

There’s been a lot of debate as to what exactly Tom Brady is looking for in free agency. One theory suggests he’d like to return to the Patriots, but only if New England adds weapons this offseason. The Patriots struggled offensively for much of 2019 thanks in large to a leaky line, an inconsistent rushing attack, a dearth of wide receiver depth and virtually zero production from their tight ends. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller lent credence to this theory, pointing out the feeling around the NFL is Brady will re-sign with New England and receive help for the 2020 campaign. Bleacher Report shared Miller’s reporting Thursday in a tweet, which also noted a Patriots staffer said Bill Belichick knows he can’t win with any other available quarterback.

So, who could the Patriots target to “help” Brady and the offense? Well, according to Miller, via Bleacher Report’s tweet, tight end Hunter Henry and wide receiver A.J. Green are two names who’ve “consistently” been mentioned.

Bengals set on taking Joe Burrow, per report

When the 2020 NFL Draft rolls around, everyone expects the Bengals to select LSU Tigersquarterback Joe Burrow. 

But have the Bengals already decided that Burrow will be the pick?

According to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, the Bengals have, in fact, decided that Burrow will be the team’s pick with the first overall selection, barring some wild trade offer that the team simply can’t refuse.

Report: Raiders ready to offer Tom Brady two-year, $60 million deal

Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2020, 9:23 AM EST

The quarterback carousel already is spinning.

Nearly two weeks after a report emerged that the Raiders will target Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in free agency, a new report puts some monetary meat on the bone.

Larry Fitzgerald Sr., a long-time member of the media in Minnesota and the father of future first-ballot Hall of Famer Larry Fitzgerald, reports that the Raiders are ready to offer Brady $60 million over two years.

Although this one (like the Bernie Smilovitz report of Matthew Stafford trade talks) doesn’t come from someone with an extensive track record of breaking NFL news, my knee-jerk reaction is to believe it, for several reasons. First, I know Fitzgerald Sr. and I’m prepared to say that, if he’s saying it, he’s definitely hearing it from someone who would know. Second, he’s in position to have heard it from someone who knows what’s going on, given the people he knows in the broader NFL structure, thanks both to his own connections and his son’s. Third, although the window for talking to agents about pending free agents doesn’t open until March 16, there are too many teams and too many quarterbacks for the process of preparing and making offers not to have already begun.

The number isn’t surprising, not with the market for quarterbacks at $35 million per year. For Brady, the bigger question will be fit, with team, coaching staff, city, and offense. It’s a new football city in a new football stadium and, for Brady, a new offense with a new coach who has a reputation for being more than a little aggressive with his quarterbacks.

• Upvote 1

George Kittle to reset TE Market

We’ve heard that the 49ers plan to make an offseason extension for George Kittle a priority, and it probably can’t be overstated just how much Kittle is going to reset the market. The report from a couple of weeks ago was that Kittle’s floor would be around $13MM annually, and as former NFL agent and current CBS Sports analyst Joel Corry points out, the top of the market has been stuck at around $10MM annually for a while. Corry notes that Jimmy Graham became the first $10MM tight end all the way back in 2014, but that the market has been completely stagnant ever since. In Corry’s piece, which is well worth a read, he takes a look at how the salaries for the position are going to change big time around the league. Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper are about to be free agents, and several other big names are going to get new deals soon. It’ll be very interesting to see what number Kittle ends up getting.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-why-george-kittle-could-break-the-bank-in-what-could-be-a-banner-offseason-for-tight-ends/

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There is a zero percent chance Matt Miller knows a single thing about Brady’s plans and citing “the feeling around the NFL” is dipsh*t-speak for “stuff I made up in my blog.”

Your peen has a weird bend in it for Miller.

• Sympathy 1

Do you want to go to the Pats without Brady under contract? 

Raiders can have him. It’s cash grab.

Kittle deserves whatever e gets. He’s been great, and he still has great football ahead of him.

Cincy is damned if they do, damned if they don’t. Sucks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Pats have $40 million in cap space without Brady.  Add in the likely cap hit of $25-$30 for Brady plus $7 million for draft picks they wont have any room to add those two big pieces. 

You think they sign Brady in a way that hits the cap for all of it? I’m thinking they finagle their way around it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Pats have $40 million in cap space without Brady.  Add in the likely cap hit of $25-$30 for Brady plus $7 million for draft picks they wont have any room to add those two big pieces. 

Plus DevinMcCourty, Kyle Van Noy , Jamie Collins & Joe Thouney are all Unrestricted Free Agents

Looks like it’s going to be an interesting offseason in NE 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You think they sign Brady in a way that hits the cap for all of it? I’m thinking they finagle their way around it.

Yea if they want Brady plus weapons they will have Brady plus weapons. They would sign a deal with minimal cap hit now but seriously hamstring themselves later if they have to. You have a much better chance of winning a SB with Brady than any other QB in the next 2 years IMO, even with the decline in play.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

What's the good word on Saloman Kindley, OG for the Dawgs?  Walter Football(Charlie Campbell) has us taking him with our 1st 3rd rder. Has us taking Wirfs with #11, an LSU cb in the 2nd, and An Edge guy, Uche, with the 2nd 3rd rounder.

I like all of those players you mentioned.  Wirfs at #11 and Uche late in the 3rd would be great.  With the two picks between those guys (the 2nd and early 3rd) I'd pray that at least one of them is a WR given how talent-rich this Draft is at WR.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mike Thomas has been amazing the past two years in fantasy football. I had him the year before last. He’ll be my second rounder too...hopefully.

We have keepers where we give up the round ahead of where the player was drafted, so if you are luck enough to have nabbed someone late that panned out, you can keep them for a nice long time.

With that being said this year I am giving up:

Michael Thomas with a 14th rd pick

Patrick Mahomes with a 15th rd pick

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

What's the good word on Saloman Kindley, OG for the Dawgs?  Walter Football(Charlie Campbell) has us taking him with our 1st 3rd rder. Has us taking Wirfs with #11, an LSU cb in the 2nd, and An Edge guy, Uche, with the 2nd 3rd rounder.

Let's say that the Jets only want to pay one Guard.   There is also a pay no Guard option.  The two Super Bowl teams generally paid their Ts and C but not their Guard.

• Sign Thuney, and draft a G round 3.  There will be good Gs available with the Giants pick.  
  • Sign Lewis, and do the same thing.
  • Draft one or two Gs and go with McDermott, Harrison if we draft a C or even Winters.  
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I got a feeling they will be tanking for Trevor

Not happening.  

BB is much more likely to sign a vet and try to make an improbable run to the playoffs.

He’ll be 68 next season, probably has a max window of 3-5 years, and is a win every game at all costs type of guy.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Clearly he needs to the money.  His career football earnings through 2019 has only been $244,000,000.  Add to that the endorsements and commercials and he's around $300,000,000.  

He also owns a bunch of Jimmy Johns sandwich franchises in New orleans. ...that guy 

22 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Clearly he needs to the money.  His career football earnings through 2019 has only been $244,000,000.  Add to that the endorsements and commercials and he's around $300,000,000.  

This is why I think he's playing another season.  He and Brady are in a game of chicken now for the two biggest career passing stats.

Rank Player Yds Years Tm
1 Drew Brees 77,416 2001-2019 2TM
2 Tom Brady 74,571 2000-2019 nwe

Rank Player TD Years Tm
1 Drew Brees 547 2001-2019 2TM
2 Tom Brady 541 2000-2019 nwe

Brees would probably never admit it out loud, but I can't imagine this isn't part of the equation.  And of course every fan in about 46 states is rooting for him :)

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is why I think he's playing another season.  He and Brady are in a game of chicken now for the top-two career passing stats.

Rank Player Yds Years Tm
1 Drew Brees 77,416 2001-2019 2TM
2 Tom Brady 74,571 2000-2019 nwe

Rank Player TD Years Tm
1 Drew Brees 547 2001-2019 2TM
2 Tom Brady 541 2000-2019 nwe

Brees would probably never admit it out loud, but I can't imagine this isn't part of the equation.  And of course every fan in about 46 states is rooting for him :)

Drew Brees is like Dan Marino with 1 ring.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

At least they can be free clear by 2023...Lol.   $36 million dollar cap hit this year, that’s a monster number.  Goes down to $32 and $30 million over 2021 and 2022.   By 2022 his number won’t be that bad.  

The thing I'll always remember about Goff ......in that Super Bowl two years ago, he looked like he wanted to be literally anyplace else in the world except where he was.

• Upvote 2

Just now, section314 said:

The thing I'll always remember about Goff ......in that Super Bowl two years ago, he looked like he wanted to be literally anyplace else in the world except where he was.

I think he always looks like that..Lol.  He always looks like he’s miserable, even when playing well.