Dyer: Jets Meet With Andrew Thomas

JetNation

Andrew-Thomas.jpg

There will be plenty of big names for Joe Douglas and company to meet up with in the coming weeks and months, but few are as important as Georgia left tackle Andrew Thomas. The Jets are currently holding the 11th pick and some prognosticators are expecting Thomas to be available in that spot.

Kristian Dyer of Sports Illustrated is reporting that Thomas met with the team and discussed a few aspects of his game.

NFL Combine Update: Andrew Thomas On Meeting With the New York Jets, NFL Draft https://t.co/0FKLMOhHb2 via @SI_JetsMaven

— Kristian Dyer (@KristianRDyer) February 27, 2020

A prototypical left tackle, Thomas says the Jets had him look at “a lot of film” where the team was “breaking down my film and then little things like critiquing my technique.”

For those who place Sam Darnold’s safety above all else this off-season, any news of big time O-linemen coming in for a chat should be welcome news.

The post Dyer: Jets Meet With Andrew Thomas appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
kqqxx6cxQGc

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, jetsons said:

NO TRADE UPS... Trade down depends on what's offered... if not stay put @ 11 & select the Best OL available. 

I can see a scenario where the first three picks in the draft are QB, QB, QB.  If that's the case, Chase Young falls in the Giant's lap and they are the only real threat to draft an OT before ARI, who just re-signed Humphries, so they may be willing to trade back a little and get their RT/WR at 11. 

CIN-Burrow, MIA-Tua, LAC-Herbert, NYG-Chase Young, WAS-Okudah, DET-Simmons, CAR-Brown, ARI-trades pick to NYJ.

ARI gets: #11, #79, and Henry Anderson or Avery Williamson (a 3-4 defensive player we don't need due to depth, that they do due to FA losses). 

NYJ's get: #8 (and pick our top rated OT), #111 (so, we trade back 32 spots in the 3rd; still have the same number of draft picks), and a little cap relief from our traded player.   

• Thumb Down 7
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I can see a scenario where the first three picks in the draft are QB, QB, QB.  If that's the case, Chase Young falls in the Giant's lap and they are the only real threat to draft an OT before ARI, who just re-signed Humphries, so they may be willing to trade back a little and get their RT/WR at 11. 

CIN-Burrow, MIA-Tua, LAC-Herbert, NYG-Chase Young, WAS-Okudah, DET-Simmons, CAR-Brown, ARI-trades pick to NYJ.

ARI gets: #11, #79, and Henry Anderson or Avery Williamson (a 3-4 defensive player we don't need due to depth, that they do due to FA losses). 

NYJ's get: #8 (and pick our top rated OT), #111 (so, we trade back 32 spots in the 3rd; still have the same number of draft picks), and a little cap relief from our traded player.   

I would shoot myself in the face if this happened. 

We are in ZERO position to move up, especially when its only 3 spots. Chump teams do that. We could just as easily stay put, and draft a top 2 either OL or WR and keep our picks. 

If JD trades up, he should be fired. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, JTJet said:

We are in ZERO position to move up, especially when its only 3 spots. Chump teams do that. We could just as easily stay put, and draft a top 2 either OL or WR and keep our picks. 

I'd rather draft the best OT in the draft. 

The difference between our mid-3rd rounder and an early 4th rounder is a crap shoot.  But since this is so serious to you that you'd shoot yourself in the face, who exactly did you want at #79 that can't be replicated at #111? 

@Reprisalizer, feel free to chime in. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

NO TRADE UPS... Trade down depends on what's offered... if not stay put @ 11 & select the Best OL available. 

50 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I love how people are so "OT or bust", yet don't want to take the right measures to ensure we get the best one possible lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s looking like the Jets are drafting OL in round 1 no matter what. Doesn’t matter whether they do or don’t pick up a tackle or a WR in free agency. Even if they add Conklin and pay him $19MM/year, I think they’re still taking a T at #11 because we need two of them, and need two long term not just to hold the fort with tape and glue for a year.

#11 is a great spot to pick a LT when the draft is truly as deep at the position as people say, as the 5th year team option will be a lot less than that (as well as the years leading up to that, in comparison to moving up to #5-ish). More than makes up for the difference in overpaying a FA by a couple million per year. 

That's why extending Adams doesn't make sense to me when there are more important holes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The difference between our mid-3rd rounder and an early 4th rounder is a crap shoot.  But since this is so serious to you that you'd shoot yourself in the face, who exactly did you want at #79 that can't be replicated at #111? 

That's the point though. I would rather have the best at every position, every pick. However, that's not reality. We pick at 11. 

3rd/4th rounders are most definitely not considered "crap shoots" by any mean. Tell that to Terry McLaurin and Chase Winovich. 6th and 7th rounders are widely viewed as the crap shoots during draft time. Hell, 3rd round picks are generally viewed as starters in the NFL. 

I would much rather stay put and get a stellar player at 11 and then when the 3rd round rolls around, have a pick 32 picks higher than anyone else, upping my odds of getting the guy we want in the 3rd or a surprise player that drops further than expected. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That's the point though. I would rather have the best at every position, every pick. However, that's not reality. We pick at 11. 

3rd/4th rounders are most definitely not considered "crap shoots" by any mean. Tell that to Terry McLaurin and Chase Winovich. 6th and 7th rounders are widely viewed as the crap shoots during draft time. Hell, 3rd round picks are generally viewed as starters in the NFL. 

I would much rather stay put and get a stellar player at 11 and then when the 3rd round rolls around, have a pick 32 picks higher than anyone else, upping my odds of getting the guy we want in the 3rd or a surprise player that drops further than expected. 

Agreed.

unless the offer blows JD away just stay @ 11.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Tell that to Jachai Polite.  

I’d rather draft a LT to play LT, and if we can get the best one in the draft, one that looks like a 10-yr stalwart, we shouldn’t pass on the opportunity just so we don’t miss out on Colin Johnson who may or may not turn out to be better than Michael Pittman. 

Especially if that means we are picking between Josh Jones & Mekhi Becton.

to each his own

17 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Tell that to Jachai Polite.  

I’d rather draft a LT to play LT, and if we can get the best one in the draft, one that looks like a 10-yr stalwart, we shouldn’t pass on the opportunity just so we don’t miss out on Colin Johnson who may or may not turn out to be better than Michael Pittman. 

Especially if that means we are picking between Josh Jones & Mekhi Becton.

to each his own

Tell that to Mitch Trubisky. 

Teams with as many holes as we have do not have any buisness trading up. 

There are 4 to 5 first round graded OL waiting for us to pick from and you want to trade up 3 spots for the perceived best overall. Personally I think Wirfs will be 10x better than Thomas, but that's just me. 

Just because the guy is viewed as the top prospect at his position doesnt necessarily mean he will be the top in the NFL anyways, (case in point Quinnen "BabyfatMcGee" Williams).

24 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Tell that to Mitch Trubisky. 

Teams with as many holes as we have do not have any buisness trading up. 

There are 4 to 5 first round graded OL waiting for us to pick from and you want to trade up 3 spots for the perceived best overall. Personally I think Wirfs will be 10x better than Thomas, but that's just me. 

Just because the guy is viewed as the top prospect at his position doesnt necessarily mean he will be the top in the NFL anyways, (case in point Quinnen "BabyfatMcGee" Williams).

Kolton Miller had a first round grade. I’m sure the Colts are happier with Quenton Nelson.  

The point is, JD can draft his top prospect. If he wants Thomas or Wirfs or Wills, the FOMO from exchanging mid-round picks shouldn’t be the reason we get stuck crossing our fingers with the second (or third) fiddle. 

21 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Kolton Miller had a first round grade. I’m sure the Colts are happier with Quenton Nelson.  

The point is, JD can draft his top prospect. If he wants Thomas or Wirfs or Wills, the FOMO from exchanging mid-round picks shouldn’t be the reason we get stuck crossing our fingers with the second (or third) fiddle. 

The disparity between Quenton Nelson and virtually any other OL including Kolton Miller was vastly larger than the current OL crop this year. There were 4 total OL taken during the first round of the 2018 draft spanning from picks 6-23, not including centers. Nelson was selected a full 10 spots before the next lineman. 

All the guys this year are pretty much graded within a handful of picks of each other. The top 3 OT are compactly projected between 9-15, indicating they are viewed fairly similarly. 

20 minutes ago, JTJet said:

The disparity between Quenton Nelson and virtually any other OL including Kolton Miller was vastly larger than the current OL crop this year. There were 4 total OL taken during the first round of the 2018 draft spanning from picks 6-23, not including centers. Nelson was selected a full 10 spots before the next lineman. 

All the guys this year are pretty much graded within a handful of picks of each other. The top 3 OT are compactly projected between 9-15, indicating they are viewed fairly similarly. 

There were 6 total OL drafted. 
Nelson (6) was drafted a mere 4 spots before McGlinchy (10).

And player ranking is subjective, in that draft the top 4 QBs were compactly projected, Baker ended up going #1, Sam going #3, and Rosen going before Lamar.  
Rating Schmating. 

The argument I’m making is it is better to be in the driver’s seat for this pick rather than get stuck with the Rosen of OTs, especially if the cost is palatable. 

I'm not proposing we mortgage the future,  I’m suggesting we swap mid-round picks and move Henry f’king Anderson. 

40 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

What's interesting is that any of the top 3-4 tackles in this draft would have been the #1 T in their class over the last 3-4 years. Kolton Miller, Bolles etc. They all would have taken a back seat to either Thomas, Wills, Wirfs and potentially Becton and Jones. Even Jackson would have been more in the mix in the last three years. 

This just happens to be the best T class in a very long time, maybe forever. While I totally get what you're saying, I think this just happens to be the year where you won't have to make that trade up to get a stalwart left tackle for the next decade. These kids are legit. 

And on top of that this is one of those years where the 3rd rd pick can absolutely get us a serious C/G or WR that would also have been higher up in recent drafts. It's stocked man. Guys like Antonio Gandy-Golden, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Gabriel Davis, Solomon Kindley, Ben Bredeson and so many others. It's nuts!! 

I would be very disappointed if Douglas trades up. I would actually be very interested in a trade down unless thomas and Wirfs are sitting there. I think we could trade back into the teens and still grab Becton or Jones. And I'd be happy with that. 

Only one scenario I can see that would make us want to consider moving up.  However JD rates the OTs this year, if there is one standout left on the board when JAX comes up at 9, I would strongly consider trading up to get him ahead of CLE who is almost certain to take an OL.  Value-wise we could swap our later third rounder for their fourth rounder to more than balance the 100 pts. to move from 11 to 9.  JAX isn't going OL so they really risk nothing by moving down.  We don't lose a pick, just drop one down about 25 slots to get the OT we want.

I know trading up makes some people want to vomit, but if you really want the best OT possible, and that's what it takes to do it, I don't have any issue with it.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, JTJet said:

But you don't know how Joe Douglas feels about all of those guys. I doubt he's going to have them all graded similarly, because everyone has a different opinion?

Here's a "What If" scenario for you...

JD has the Top 4 OT graded like this:

1) Thomas (Loves)

2) Wirfs (Loves)

3) Becton (Likes)

4) Wills (Dislikes)

Now let's say Carolina at #7 is currently OTC. They're looking to trade down. Wirfs is off the board at 4 (to the Giants). The other 3 are available. Now he could wait 4 more picks to see how the draft plays. Out. But by then Thomas could be off the board and it could be between Becton and Wills. Or imagine if only Wills is available (who JD doesn't like)? In this type of scenario, I fully endorse JD trading up so he can secure the LT that HE wants instead of settling for whatever is left.

Joe Douglas and Jets fans seem to both be hellbent on going OT in the 1st, just Maccagnan and Jets fans were hellbent on taking a QB in 2018. If that's the case, OT this year should be treated like QB was 2 years ago and we should be doing whatever it takes to get our guy (or at least the best rated guy available)

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Only one scenario I can see that would make us want to consider moving up.  However JD rates the OTs this year, if there is one standout left on the board when JAX comes up at 9, I would strongly consider trading up to get him ahead of CLE who is almost certain to take an OL.  Value-wise we could swap our later third rounder for their fourth rounder to more than balance the 100 pts. to move from 11 to 9.  JAX isn't going OL so they really risk nothing by moving down.  We don't lose a pick, just drop one down about 25 slots to get the OT we want.

I know trading up makes some people want to vomit, but if you really want the best OT possible, and that's what it takes to do it, I don't have any issue with it.

This is literally the same thing I posted but with a different team that would give us a higher pick in both first and fourth round.

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

There were 6 total OL drafted. 
Nelson (6) was drafted a mere 4 spots before McGlinchy (10).

And player ranking is subjective, in that draft the top 4 QBs were compactly projected, Baker ended up going #1, Sam going #3, and Rosen going before Lamar.  
Rating Schmating. 

The argument I’m making is it is better to be in the driver’s seat for this pick rather than get stuck with the Rosen of OTs, especially if the cost is palatable. 

I'm not proposing we mortgage the future,  I’m suggesting we swap mid-round picks and move Henry f’king Anderson. 

This is exactly why I was telling you your argument to trade up was flawed. 

The OL are so similarly projected, why in the hell would we trade up for any of them, when mostly all of them are projected right on top of our pick? 

And I meant that Nelson was drafted a full 10 spots before Miller, not OL overall...

Still doesn't change my argument. The disparity in talent between Quentin Nelson and the next best OL was huge. That large gap does not exist with Thomas and the other OL this year. 

54 minutes ago, King P said:

But you don't know how Joe Douglas feels about all of those guys. I doubt he's going to have them all graded similarly, because everyone has a different opinion?

Here's a "What If" scenario for you...

JD has the Top 4 OT graded like this:

1) Thomas (Loves)

2) Wirfs (Loves)

3) Becton (Likes)

4) Wills (Dislikes)

Now let's say Carolina at #7 is currently OTC. They're looking to trade down. Wirfs is off the board at 4 (to the Giants). The other 3 are available. Now he could wait 4 more picks to see how the draft plays. Out. But by then Thomas could be off the board and it could be between Becton and Wills. Or imagine if only Wills is available (who JD doesn't like)? In this type of scenario, I fully endorse JD trading up so he can secure the LT that HE wants instead of settling for whatever is left.

Joe Douglas and Jets fans seem to both be hellbent on going OT in the 1st, just Maccagnan and Jets fans were hellbent on taking a QB in 2018. If that's the case, OT this year should be treated like QB was 2 years ago and we should be doing whatever it takes to get our guy (or at least the best rated guy available)

JD is not going to trade up in a draft that's this deep with OL and WR. It's not even worth debating to be honest. We are easily going to sign at minimum 2 FA OL, which will give us draft flexibility. 

There are OL players this year projected 2nd round that would be 1st rounders other years. He isnt going to mortgage any of our capital to move up a few spots when our roster needs this much talent. 

The only way this becomes even a slight possibility is if we acquire a second 1st round pick in a trade for Jamal during the draft of right before. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

It's all about tiers. If there was a big drop off in the player we'd get at 11 v. trading up, you think about it. But at OT? This year? Stay put and enjoy whoever lands in our lap

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This is exactly why I was telling you your argument to trade up was flawed. 

The OL are so similarly projected, why in the hell would we trade up for any of them, when mostly all of them are projected right on top of our pick? 

And I meant that Nelson was drafted a full 10 spots before Miller, not OL overall...

Still doesn't change my argument. The disparity in talent between Quentin Nelson and the next best OL was huge. That large gap does not exist with Thomas and the other OL this year. 

I mean, we have no way of knowing how these players are rated right now and what changes will be made throughout the pre-draft process. Nor do we know how free agency might affect draft plans. 

What we do know is that first choice is better than third or fourth, the only real debate is what acceptable compensation for a trade up would be.  

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

JD is not going to trade up in a draft that's this deep with OL and WR. It's not even worth debating to be honest. We are easily going to sign at minimum 2 FA OL, which will give us draft flexibility. 

There are OL players this year projected 2nd round that would be 1st rounders other years. He isnt going to mortgage any of our capital to move up a few spots when our roster needs this much talent. 

The only way this becomes even a slight possibility is if we acquire a second 1st round pick in a trade for Jamal during the draft of right before. 

No one has any idea what JD will do during draft day because he has no track record. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

We are in the process now of gathering/getting the information that will allow us to better answer this question.  I do not know what the drop off is between OT 1 and OT 4.  

With that said, I subscribe to the overall philosophy that the draft is largely a crap shoot so I like to have more picks.  I like the way the Patriots, Green Bay, Ravens and the Browns (although not as extreme) generally like to have more than 7 picks per draft.  This allows you to be flexible in targeting as well as increases the chances you will get at least 2-3 contributors a year.  

So, no, I dont want to trade up at all.  Especially if the difference between the first few OT is largely splitting hairs. We have the game tape and now we are gathering the second most important information - the interview.  

12 hours ago, nycdan said:

Agreed.  Especially if it only costs us, say, our extra 3rd or 4th rounder.

Moving up to 5?  No way.  Moving up 2-3 slots?  Sure, I'd be fine with that if it means we end up with a franchise LT.  

Idk why this board is always infatuated with trade downs. Stay at 11 and draft an impact player there's no reason to move down unless we get an absolute haul. Sitting at 11 pretty much guarantees us one of the 4 OTS, Jeudy,Lamb, Ruggs or Chaisson. All of which are big upgrades. Also if Thomas is there at #9 we should definitely try and move UP to snag him because Cleveland is almost a guarantee to draft an OT especially after their LT got popped smuggling weed.