Dyer: Jets Meet With Andrew Thomas

JetNation

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Idk why this board is always infatuated with trade downs. 

Because in most situations they've made sense.  Especially last year.  Not only did we fail to trade down, we didn't get a major impact player at 3.  Inexcusable.

JD is not the same as Macc (hopefully) and this is a very different draft.  But trading down still makes sense in the proper context.  If we're sitting at 11 and there are no potential LT's to be had, I'd be down to trade down and grab a RT prospect or the best available WR. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because in most situations they've made sense.  Especially last year.  Not only did we fail to trade down, we didn't get a major impact player at 3.  Inexcusable.

JD is not the same as Macc (hopefully) and this is a very different draft.  But trading down still makes sense in the proper context.  If we're sitting at 11 and there are no potential LT's to be had, I'd be down to trade down and grab a RT prospect or the best available WR. 

I just see the potential of having a huge need filled at #11 and don't understand why some people want to pass that up to get a few more late picks which are almost always a total crapshoot. Let me ask you though if all 4 OTs are gone at 11, would you rather take Jeudy/Lamb or would you rather trade back? 

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I just see the potential of having a huge need filled at #11 and don't understand why some people want to pass that up to get a few more late picks which are almost always a total crapshoot. Let me ask you though if all 4 OTs are gone at 11, would you rather take Jeudy/Lamb or would you rather trade back? 

Probably trade back.  I'd prefer to come away from the draft with an OL in the first round regardless, but don't want to pay LT prices for a non-LT.  

You can succeed at a high level with good but not great WRs.  If we draft a flashy WR but enter next season with an aging Beachum and a giant question mark as our OT's, it'll be hard to get them the ball anyways.  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, JetNation said:

Andrew-Thomas.jpg

There will be plenty of big names for Joe Douglas and company to meet up with in the coming weeks and months, but few are as important as Georgia left tackle Andrew Thomas. The Jets are currently holding the 11th pick and some prognosticators are expecting Thomas to be available in that spot.

Kristian Dyer of Sports Illustrated is reporting that Thomas met with the team and discussed a few aspects of his game.

NFL Combine Update: Andrew Thomas On Meeting With the New York Jets, NFL Draft https://t.co/0FKLMOhHb2 via @SI_JetsMaven

— Kristian Dyer (@KristianRDyer) February 27, 2020

A prototypical left tackle, Thomas says the Jets had him look at “a lot of film” where the team was “breaking down my film and then little things like critiquing my technique.”

For those who place Sam Darnold’s safety above all else this off-season, any news of big time O-linemen coming in for a chat should be welcome news.

The post Dyer: Jets Meet With Andrew Thomas appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

kqqxx6cxQGc

Click here to read the full story...

This is news?

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably trade back.  I'd prefer to come away from the draft with an OL in the first round regardless, but don't want to pay LT prices for a non-LT.  

You can succeed at a high level with good but not great WRs.  If we draft a flashy WR but enter next season with an aging Beachum and a giant question mark as our OT's, it'll be hard to get them the ball anyways.  

then you consider how bad the run game was and OT is a no brainer.

i think the key to douglas not mucking up his first draft here is not to overthink it and get cutsy.  take the BAP OT at 11, don't trade back and think you're gonna get him at 14 or 15.  then in round 2, take a wr, trade up a few slots if you have to but make sure you get a guy who will help darnold right away.  don't get cutsy and take a db there and think there's plenty of wrs in round 3.  then in round 3, double up on the wrs and take another one.  this way you haven't left it to chance.  

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hard to argue that point I just don't know if we'll find a quality LT if we trade back tbh. Maybe just take Josh Jones at 11? I just see the OL market evolving rapidly I mean Conklin is a damn Right Tackle who's never played LT and is about to get paid like $19mil lol

11 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Hard to argue that point I just don't know if we'll find a quality LT if we trade back tbh. Maybe just take Josh Jones at 11? I just see the OL market evolving rapidly I mean Conklin is a damn Right Tackle who's never made a pro bowl about to be the highest paid OT in the league. Scary lol

That's what I was saying.  If there's no LT to be had at 11 there won't be if we trade back either.  But taking an OL you don't think can end up a LT at 11 is not ideal, so might as well trade back and grab a RT or a WR.  

22 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Trade back.

They have so many needs.   So many, you can't fill them all with one draft.  They desperately need players, and draft picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round can help the team.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's what I was saying.  If there's no LT to be had at 11 there won't be if we trade back either.  But taking an OL you don't think can end up a LT at 11 is not ideal, so might as well trade back and grab a RT or a WR.  

This board is gonna implode when Joe D takes Chaisson at 11 lol 

1 hour ago, Reprisalizer said:

We are in the process now of gathering/getting the information that will allow us to better answer this question.  I do not know what the drop off is between OT 1 and OT 4.  

With that said, I subscribe to the overall philosophy that the draft is largely a crap shoot so I like to have more picks.  I like the way the Patriots, Green Bay, Ravens and the Browns (although not as extreme) generally like to have more than 7 picks per draft.  This allows you to be flexible in targeting as well as increases the chances you will get at least 2-3 contributors a year.  

So, no, I dont want to trade up at all.  Especially if the difference between the first few OT is largely splitting hairs. We have the game tape and now we are gathering the second most important information - the interview.  

That’s a great stance. I mean, it’s flawed and doesn’t address what I proposed, but I like that you’re actually joining the conversation instead of poo-pooing ideas on the sideline.

Note: We have 8 draft picks. In my trade UP proposal we still have 8 draft picks.  8 picks is more than 7 picks.

This “flexibility in targeting” that you speak of... what do you think that means exactly? 

The only real argument here is that you would so strongly favor the #79 pick over the #111 pick, that getting your choice of the top OTs is not worth the drop off.  So I ask again, who do you want so bad with our mid-3rd round pick, that if we slid back into the 4th we couldn’t find comparable production? To me, that range of third-tier WRs, IOL, and CBs are all pretty similar; the difference between THEM is splitting hairs. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

That’s a great stance. I mean, it’s flawed and doesn’t address what I proposed, but I like that you’re actually joining the conversation instead of poo-pooing ideas on the sideline.

Note: We have 8 draft picks. In my trade UP proposal we still have 8 draft picks.  8 picks is more than 7 picks.

This “flexibility in targeting” that you speak of... what do you think that means exactly? 

The only real argument here is that you would so strongly favor the #79 pick over the #111 pick, that getting your choice of the top OTs is not worth the drop off.  So I ask again, who do you want so bad with our mid-3rd round pick, that if we slid back into the 4th we couldn’t find comparable production? To me, that range of third-tier WRs, IOL, and CBs are all pretty similar; the difference between THEM is splitting hairs. 

Flexibility in targeting means if you like a specific player you can go get them using extra draft capital.  Example - targeting a specific WR or C/G at the top of the 2nd.  Having extra picks would allow us to move up a few spots to get that player rather than cross our fingers and hope he drops or settle for someone we believe is a tier down.  

As far as the 3rd round pick - I feel these are valuable picks that can turn into starters, contributors and special teamers.  Same goes for the 4th and as I explained in my post - the more picks you make the more likely your going to hit - so I would like to have both my 3rd and 4th rounder. 

Lastly, any plan based on trading up or trading down is a plan B or C at best.  You cant really go into the draft (at least not as fan doing projections) expecting to trade. But good luck crossing your fingers that the best OT in the draft will fall and that a willing trade partner will be found and that you wont get raped in that trade.  I hope it all works out!

6 minutes ago, kelly said:

hope not.. " trade down "... ok ?

NO " TRADE UP " ! ! 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

I get it kelly.  Everybody wants to trade down to get more picks.  Nobody wants to swap picks (our late 3rd for their early 4th) to move up and get the best OT in the draft.  

The idea of jumping ahead of Cleveland in the first round is very intriguing.  It would be nice if the Giants would resign Leo so the Jets have two picks in both the 3rd and 4th round.  That extra ammo might be nice if JD decides to leap over Cleveland to get the LT he covets.

Another possible leap would be into the late 2nd round if someone who they really like falls (trade early 3rd and a 4th to move up). I'm not saying they SHOULD do this. I'm fine if they just pick where they are slotted.

I'm also hoping that Becton wows someone in his workouts and goes in the top seven or eight picks.  That increases the chance that Thomas or Wirfs could be there at #11. Becton is a real wild card.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SR24 said:

Idk why this board is always infatuated with trade downs. Stay at 11 and draft an impact player there's no reason to move down unless we get an absolute haul. Sitting at 11 pretty much guarantees us one of the 4 OTS, Jeudy,Lamb, Ruggs or Chaisson. All of which are big upgrades. Also if Thomas is there at #9 we should definitely try and move UP to snag him because Cleveland is almost a guarantee to draft an OT especially after their LT got popped smuggling weed. 

Just sit tight at 11. Even if Cleveland takes Thomas, I'm happy with Wirfs, Becton, or Wills. Heck I even like Josh Jones in the later rounds.

• Upvote 2

On 2/27/2020 at 8:06 PM, Greenseed4 said:

Tell that to Jachai Polite.  

I’d rather draft a LT to play LT, and if we can get the best one in the draft, one that looks like a 10-yr stalwart, we shouldn’t pass on the opportunity just so we don’t miss out on Colin Johnson who may or may not turn out to be better than Michael Pittman. 

Especially if that means we are picking between Josh Jones & Mekhi Becton.

to each his own

you have to look @ who the GM was for that... ?

Fast forward to draft night and the Jets are on the clock. Best case scenario has occurred  with Thomas, Jeudy, and Lamb falling to us. Tension mounts with all Jet fans alike as the clock dwindles down to a precious few. My thinking at that moment would be to take Thomas, but it would hurt like hell to bypass on of those stud wide receivers. If the Jets went WR in that scenario I really couldn't blame them. Tough call. It really comes down to what they do in FA.