Doomsday Scenario: Top 4 Offensive Tackles are gone

2 hours ago, King P said:

If we stay put at 11, take Lamb or Jeudy.

If not, trade back and take Josh Jones

Absolutely no to Chaisson or Henderson at 11

This.

Trade back is quickly becoming my favorite approach almost regardless of who is there.  I like Jones, Peart, Niang, Wanogho and others as Tier 2 OTs....especially if it can the Jets an additional 2nd round pick.

I'm fine picking outside the Top 20 if we get 3 picks in the Top 50 and then those 2 in the 3rd Round.  5 players inside the Top 80.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GeorgeJetson said:

What do you do?

Do you reach for the 5th best offensive tackle?

Do you select that edge rusher from LSU?

The CB from Florida who has been mocked?

Take your pick of Ruggs, Jeudy, or Lamb?

I would still probably grab an Offensive Tackle. The Jets cannot go into this season relying on Fant and Edoga, and the talent really drops off after Josh Jones and Austin Jackson according to McShay.

Take the best WR

I think Arizona is wild card #1

You would think after getting Hopkins, they’d go OL, but I wouldn’t Be surprised if Klingsbury goes with Lamb.

It would put the kid in an offense with Dhop, Fitzgerald and Murray. Whew! No pressure, on the kid as their #3 WR, and they have their replacement for Fitz when he retires in a year or two.

Wild card #2 is Gettleman and the Giants.

If he goes with Simmons or Okaduh, that’s great for us, but if he wants an OL, he’s getting the pick of the litter.

That said, we’ll probably take the Florida CB, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I became a JD fan yesterday when he stuck to his offer to Anderson. I will once again start questioning his GM fitness  if he has his choice of Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggsand passes on them if Wirfs, Thomas, Beckton and Willis are all taken.

what will your status of fandom for him be in either of these situations?

1 - He trades our last 3rd round pick to Jacksonville and moves in front of Cleveland to pick the 4th of those OT's?

2 - He trades back to 15-20ish, passes on those 3 WR's and picks Jones or another OT instead ?

32 minutes ago, ljr said:

1 - He trades our last 3rd round pick to Jacksonville and moves in front of Cleveland to pick the 4th of those OT's?

2 - He trades back to 15-20ish, passes on those 3 WR's and picks Jones or another OT instead ?

You're not asking me, but I like the question;

1 - If it lands us Jedrick Wills, I'd be ecstatic. That's the tackle I want. If it's another tackle, I'd say wow, let's see how it goes, but at least they went after the player they wanted in the position we desperately need to upgrade.

2- I'd be happy with that too, to be honest. Not as happy as the J Wills scenario, but I'm cool with picking up another pick, especially in a WR deep draft, and taking a more 'developmental' tackle a little bit later in the first. A guy like Josh Johnson might not start until week 8, but my whole philosophy in this draft is this:

It's deep at WR, and we need to prioritize giving Darnold a clean pocket more than anything else.

For me, if I'm the GM, this might be the year to move up for the tackle you want using picks from next year's draft, keep your second and two thirds to land at least two WR's. That scenario might cost us a second rounder next year. But think about this;

Round 1: Trading up for Jedrick Wills (at the cost of our #2 next year)

Round 2: Justin Jefferson WR LSU

Round 3a: Michael Pittman WR USC

Round 3b: Bradlee Anae Edge Utah

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Trade down? Who is trading up to 11? And for what? Everybody assumes trading down is a given. And if they trade down, who,says Jones is still on the board when the Jets pick? It’s never that simple or easy.

Lotta talk in Denver about landing one of those top 3 WR's. With the Raiders and 49ers behind us also needing receivers, I could see the Broncos making a move. 

Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs has to be the pick. I’m not trading back pay for a premium weapon 
Yup.

As bad as I want a tackle, we have the worst group of pass catchers in the league....gotta protect Sam AND give him someone to throw to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think I'd probably try and trade down and acquire additional draft capital. If I couldn't do that, I'd be fine going WR in round 1 and OT in round 2.

I'd bring in Jason Peter's or Trent William's for a couple years while the second round pick starts at RT.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ljr said:

I don't think we should burn draft capital in this kind of draft for an OL considering we already filled two, possibly 3 slots on the OL with long term players. There is no way to know how the guy you draft works out so I'd rather have more picks considering we have so many needs. I'd be upset when it happens but would take a wait and see attitude.

Your second scenario  i would be pissed. IMO the talent at OL drops off a lot after the first four prospects. There probably isn't  a great deal of difference between the OL picked in the latter part of the first and early part of the second. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

just about ready to post that.  i'm a little surprised they haven't signed beachum yet although they could be waiting until after the draft.

I’d rather have Peters on a one year deal and draft a developmental OT in rd 2 like Jackson or Cleveland

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I’d rather have Peters on a one year deal and draft a developmental OT in rd 2 like Jackson or Cleveland

either way works.  the tackle would have to be pretty darn good to just step in from college.  brick did it but i believe he also had decent guards playing next to him.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

either way works.  the tackle would have to be pretty darn good to just step in from college.  brick did it but i believe he also had decent guards playing next to him.

I keep hearing Austin Jackson has great physical tools but is very raw.  If he got one year to learn behind Peters on the depth chart he could be our LT of the future

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, where the Jets pick, particularly given the needs of other high-picking teams and their lower second round pick, is sub-optimal. 

I am not a draft expert, but it seems to me that our picks are not well situated to walk away with a starting tackle if we stick to a draft board strictly.  It is hard to stick to a draft board strictly when not all positions are easily obtainable in FA.   But it also appears to me that there will be great WRs still available when we pick in Rd 2.  

Only 10 players can be picked before 11, so that means if the Ts are all gone, which would not surprise me, that means other great players will be available.  The Jets need a LT.  So if they can't trade down, I don't think JDs Book of Life would allow him to take a lower rated overall player.

But that is not to say a Josh Jones is not rated higher on his board.  Look at where the Raiders pick Ferrell last year.  

On 3/25/2020 at 6:31 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm just not as 'locked-in' to having to take one of CeeDee, Jeudy or Ruggs. I'm fine with it, but my absolute #1 priority is adding another offensive tackle. If the scouting department truly believes they have guys they like in round 2/3 @ OT, then I'm cool with WR @ 11. But again, I'm also cool trading up if they've identified a premium, future pro bowler. 

WHat's worth more..     that extra 0.1 sec?  or WR getting YAC

I think WR getting YAC is Sams best bet to success

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

WHat's worth more..     that extra 0.1 sec?  or WR getting YAC

I think WR getting YAC is Sams best bet to success

I hear ya - might be more time 0.1 seconds, though. 

I just think Sam taking less hits and having more time is more important than landing a first round WR; there are good WR’s round 2, not so much with tackles though.