Doomsday Scenario: Top 4 Offensive Tackles are gone

What do you do?

Do you reach for the 5th best offensive tackle?

Do you select that edge rusher from LSU?

The CB from Florida who has been mocked?

Take your pick of Ruggs, Jeudy, or Lamb?

I would still probably grab an Offensive Tackle. The Jets cannot go into this season relying on Fant and Edoga, and the talent really drops off after Josh Jones and Austin Jackson according to McShay.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, viffer said:

You're assuming JD is even planning on an OT at 11. If the top four are gone it's almost definitely a WR. Even if all four aren't gone, he might go WR. Just because people on this board don't think we can start the season with Fant at LT doesn't mean JD doesn't think so. He signed 4 new linemen; very possible he is planning to go WR at 11.

With some good tackles expected to drop to the second round, I wouldn't mind at all if he went with a WR at 11 and got a tackle in round 2.

I also think it’s possible they’re locked into a wr at 11 or a few slots back if they trade back, with the thinking they can get an OT in the 2nd round.  They can still address OL in rounds 2-4.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs has to be the pick. I’m not trading back pay for a premium weapon 

This

And as I said a few days ago, I hope the “trade down” crowd realizes that if the Jets move back 5 or so spots, positions like CB and EDGE become much more distinct possibilities. It’s far from a guarantee that the Jets would take someone like Ezra Cleveland over Chaisson, Henderson, Fulton, etc.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

And as I said a few days ago, I hope the “trade down” crowd realizes that if the Jets move back 5 or so spots, positions like CB and EDGE become much more distinct possibilities. It’s far from a guarantee that the Jets would take someone like Ezra Cleveland over Chaisson, Henderson, Fulton, etc.

I think the jets could trade back to 15 and still get Jeudy/lamb/ruggs, or even Jefferson if they valued him that high.  But if they trade back into the high teens they could lose out on all these guys.

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

I'm fine with Henderson if we trade back and acquire picks. But if we stay at 11 and take him, I might shut down my laptop for the rest of the draft and not even pay attention at all

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

How is this a doomsday scenario?

You take your top rated WR and grab an OT in Round 2.

This is preferable to me at this point.

Go sign someone like Jason Peters to a 2 year deal to man the RT spot in the short term and have your rookie 2nd round pick compete with Fant.

There will still be good tackles in round 2.  But if it looks like they are going fast, trade up a couple spots. You know the Browns are taking one of the four. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

This would be worse than taking Q at #3 last year. I never thought I'd ever have to say that.

Henderson won’t be JD’s pick. No way. But he wouldn’t be as bad as the Low IQ pick. He has the corner marketed on being one of the worst draft picks in Jets history.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

There will still be good tackles in round 2.  But if it looks like they are going fast, trade up a couple spots. You know the Browns are taking one of the four. 

If 3 of the 4 top OT's are off the board after Arizona's #8 pick AND JD likes the remaining OT then I'd hope JD trades up with the Jaguars at #9 jumping over the Browns at #10. I'd give our second 3rd and a 4th.

If JD thinks the remaining OT isn't worth a trade up or Jacksonville asks too much then JD can look for a trade down, but that requires another team willing to give fair value. If no trade options are available then take the best WR.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If 3 of the 4 top OT's are off the board after Arizona's #8 pick AND JD likes the remaining OT then I'd hope JD trades up with the Jaguars at #9 jumping over the Browns at #10. I'd give our second 3rd and a 4th.

If JD thinks the remaining OT isn't worth a trade up or Jacksonville asks too much then JD can look for a trade down, but that requires another team willing to give fair value. If no trade options are available then take the best WR.

Wow would it take that much? Perhaps a pick and a player like Avery?

Just now, slimjasi said:

I mean, if you don't think there is a franchise tackle on the board when you pick, you take the best WR in the draft and call it a productive first round. 

I don't see the "doomsday scenario"

It really isn’t b/c the jets need offense period.  It really doesn’t matter if they go OT/wr or wr/Ot as long as they address both positions right away.  Hopefully douglas isn’t like his predecessors who always felt the need to draft defense.  

1 hour ago, GeorgeJetson said:

What do you do?

I would still probably grab an Offensive Tackle. The Jets cannot go into this season relying on Fant and Edoga, and the talent really drops off after Josh Jones and Austin Jackson according to McShay.

Don't reach for the 5th tackle on your board, get the best WR on your board.  Protection without weapons is pointless.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeJetson said:

What do you do?

Josh Jones and don't look back

• Sympathy 1

There are about 4 maybe 5 other left tackles that can be above average starters to pro bowlers that will go after the top 4. somewhere in the top 20 of the 2nd Rd... Nothing doomsday about missing out on the big names.   So Trade down if possible and grab one of those guys or take the highest rated WR JD has on the board...because the beauty of all of this is if he trades down and gets a LT later in rd 1   This draft is LOADED with WR's.   cause after the top 4 WR's there is probably about 15 other guys that can be great #1's 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

This, pretty much this. OR JD may simply feel like Jones (although considered the #5 OT by everyone else) is one of his TOP OTs. Not every team's draft board is the same. 

Odds are the Jets draft Becton at 11 with the other 3 gone and sign a vet like Peters. Becton is a high risk, high reward prospect who teams will probably stay away from in the top 10. Fills a huge need at OT for the Jets. I don't think 'the system' will keep the Jets from drafting this guy, he's plenty athletic for what an absolute monster he is, he's just really raw. However, he will probably get a shot to play right away at RT with Fant getting a shot to play at LT. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, section314 said:

This would be worse than taking Q at #3 last year. I never thought I'd ever have to say that.

I don't know whether I agree with that.  Henderson looks he can start day 1 and be a solid CB1.  I am wondering if Quinnen even starts.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If they really fall in love with one tackle (JEDRICK WILLS!) then I'm game to move up at that cost. 

We can still get WR's in the second and third rounds. 

Conversely, I'm also open to trading down, targeting one of the second tier tackles/WR and using the second rounder on whichever of those two we don't pick in the first - whether it be Mims after the trade down and Peart in round 2, or Josh Johnson on the trade down and dealers choice of Jefferson/Aiuyuk/Shenault or whomever. 

I'm just not as 'locked-in' to having to take one of CeeDee, Jeudy or Ruggs. I'm fine with it, but my absolute #1 priority is adding another offensive tackle. If the scouting department truly believes they have guys they like in round 2/3 @ OT, then I'm cool with WR @ 11. But again, I'm also cool trading up if they've identified a premium, future pro bowler. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Doomsday = take Jeudy-Ruggs-Lamb at#11.

There's always a chance that Austin Jackson or Ezra Cleveland could fall to 2nd round.  Josh Jones could be there too.

Also 2nd - 4th round possible options at tackle: Prince Tega Wanogho;  Isaiah Wilson;  Matt Peart; Ben Bartch;  Terrance Steele;   

Who knows what JD thinks of these above prospects.  He could like them enough to take two of them. While some fans here take two aspirins?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

Take the weapon and hope jones or jackson is there in rd 2 or trade back into the end of rd 1 like when we got mangold 

I really want the excuse to take CeeDee Lamb. I think we could move up to 28 with the Ravens. Idk what it would cost but I'd give #48 and and a #68 to secure our future left tackle for 5 years.

46 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Doomsday = take Jeudy-Ruggs-Lamb at#11.

There's always a chance that Austin Jackson or Ezra Cleveland could fall to 2nd round.  Josh Jones could be there too.

Also 2nd - 4th round possible options at tackle: Prince Tega Wanogho;  Isaiah Wilson;  Matt Peart; Ben Bartch;  Terrance Steele;   

Who knows what JD thinks of these above prospects.  He could like them enough to take two of them. While some fans here take two aspirins?

This.

Draft is chock full of talent at WR and OTs.  Joe D has to nail this draft.