Jets current cap space, looking ahead to 2021

The Jets currently have about 10 million left in cap space, they’ll add 11 million post June 1st by releasing Trumaine. When factoring in rookie deals, looks like the Jets could be done adding through pro FA, unless they release Winters and Williamson freeing up around 13 million. As far as 2021 goes, Jets are currently estimated to have over 80(!) million in cap space, not including if they decide to move on from Bell, saving close to 12 million more, putting us over 90 million. This is definitely a product of all of these 1 year deals, Douglas has set the cap situation up quite nicely for the year ahead.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Last time a GM had a plan  this good, he had one of the most epically bad drafts in ages, got fired and then next guy reaped the rewards for fiscal prudence.

Joe Douglas will be a good or bad GM around May 1st.

Yep, definitely not the first time we’ve seen this plan in action, and I’ve been preaching just like you it’s all about the draft. That is what will hopefully separate Douglas from past GM’s. However, hard not to notice what Douglas is doing in regards to the cap situation moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

They should have saved all the cap space from this year.

Kinda dumb spending near the limit when we might not have a season.

I'd have to imagine the contracts would toll. Everything will get pushed back, including college football so I'm not sure it would be the worst thing to delay FA and the draft next year so we can start football season later in the year.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Set up nicely?  All those one year deals mean that the Jets will, once again, have to fill almost a complete roster with free agents.  Who the hell is under contract?  Darnold, Adams on the 5th year option, the DLine, Mosley, and what? 

I expect to see Douglas try to retain some of these 1 year contracts if they work out. I agree, that $90m is going to go really quick next year.

Darnold

McGovern

Crowder

Herndon

Griffen

Rookie WR

Rookie OT

Probably make up the offense as far as definites for next season

Defensively we are looking at

Adams

Austin

Mosley

Williams

As the main players

I'm sure I missed some, I'd like to believe Perriman, Poole, and Desir play well enough to get extensions. I could see Douglas letting Maye and Jenkins leave in FA to try and get comp picks for them. 

This team is going to be built through the draft, I'm not overly concerned with the amount of players we may have to retain because I think I'd rather focus on guys that work for us as opposed to high ticket FAs.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I expect to see Douglas try to retain some of these 1 year contracts if they work out. I agree, that $90m is going to go really quick next year.

Darnold

McGovern

Crowder

Herndon

Griffen

Rookie WR

Rookie OT

Adams

Austin

Mosley

Williams

As the main players

I'm sure I missed some, I'd like to believe Perriman, Poole, and Desir play well enough to get extensions. I could see Douglas letting Maye and Jenkins leave in FA to try and get comp picks for them. You 

This team is going to be built through the draft, I'm not overly concerned with the amount of players we may have to retain because I think I'd rather focus on guys that work for us as opposed to high ticket FAs.

You listed 11 players total and 2 do not yet exist.  2 are lower level TEs and one will be getting transition tag money on the 5th year option.  Desir is a 30 year old CB that probably already started his decline.  The roster make-up is fairly ugly.  People are looking to cut some of our better players under contract for cap space.

10 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

They get a chance to kick the tires and if they like the player, sign him long term.   If they leave for greener pastures, we will end up with a bunch of comp picks.

If Douglas has a good draft, he may fill 5-6 holes and need less of these guys back.

It's a nice idea, but I'll believe it when I see it.  I am not bashing Douglas.  This is pretty much what has to be done, but he didn't set us up nicely with cap space.   We were set up with cap space by having no talent.  Comp picks?  LOL.  Like those comp picks we are getting for Jenkins?  We aren't getting comp picks for guys getting 1/$5M, not when we have to sign their replacements.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I rather have the cap flexibility for the future and guys on 1 year prove it deals, rather than handing out multi year deals to guys like Poole and Jenkins, especially where the Jets are as a team right now. 

Totally agree.  I just don't think there was any reasonable choice.  This wasn't great GMing, it was GM 101.  I guess we are so used to horror shows that mild competence seems wonderful

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

That would be one of the greatest drafts of all time. Think more filling 2-3 holes as being a 'good' draft. 

Not all “ holes” are starter spots.  I’d guess that they get a starting WR ,O line player and possibly kickers and have some rookies contributing part time at RB , DB, WR and maybe Edge.   Back up O line , WR, CB and special teams positions are all important and need to be manned.  This team needs to begin developing a player pipeline so when a player is injured, or plays out his contract, they have a ready replacement.   Last year we were signing guys off the street.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Set up nicely?  All those one year deals mean that the Jets will, once again, have to fill almost a complete roster with free agents.  Who the hell is under contract?  Darnold, Adams on the 5th year option, the DLine, Mosley, and what? 

We could resign, tender or get a comp pick out of those contracts. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's a nice idea, but I'll believe it when I see it.  I am not bashing Douglas.  This is pretty much what has to be done, but he didn't set us up nicely with cap space.   We were set up with cap space by having no talent.  Comp picks?  LOL.  Like those comp picks we are getting for Jenkins?  We aren't getting comp picks for guys getting 1/$5M, not when we have to sign their replacements.

He could’ve easily given out multi year contracts to make up for this talent void(never works out) and we’d be having a different conversation. To say he hasn’t set us up nicely to build through the draft and have huge cap flexibility next year is a bit puzzling to me. I’m not saying he’s done anything earth shattering or innovative or if he will be even to execute it to success, but it’s obvious what he’s doing here. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jenkins re signed with us so we won’t get a pick for him.

The whole idea is better drafting, making these patches unnecessary.

If he drafts poorly the cycle will continue.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

That would be one of the greatest drafts of all time. Think more filling 2-3 holes as being a 'good' draft. 

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Not all “ holes” are starter spots.  I’d guess that they get a starting WR ,O line player and possibly kickers and have some rookies contributing part time at RB , DB, WR and maybe Edge.   Back up O line , WR, CB and special teams positions are all important and need to be manned.  This team needs to begin developing a player pipeline so when a player is injured, or plays out his contract, they have a ready replacement.   Last year we were signing guys off the street.

Agreed.  Think of the 2013 draft.  When it happened it was lauded for all those starters.   I think there were 6.  Milliner busted because of injuries, QB sucked, DT is good, mid-level G, low-level G (but we dumped him possibly for substance issues), and a FB. 

A more hopeful example was 2006. In addition to the C and LT, they added the backup QB, S, gadget/ST guy, returner/3rd down back, and rotational CB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

He could’ve easily given out multi year contracts to make up for this talent void(never works out) and we’d be having a different conversation. To say he hasn’t set us up nicely to build through the draft and have huge cap flexibility next year is a bit puzzling to me. I’m not saying he’s done anything earth shattering or innovative or if he will be even to execute it to success, but it’s obvious what he’s doing here. 

I think Douglas did what had to be done.  I think lauding him for having a roster of stiffs with nothing set for 2021 is a bit much.  If these guys play okay we are golden.  If they suck we are not.  Like the signing of Kalil, it looks reasonable, but play on the field will tell. 

We won't have "huge cap flexibility" because we need too much.  Also, every team is going to have "huge cap flexibility" because tons of players were signing one year deals to get to the big cap year in 2021.

9 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Jenkins re signed with us so we won’t get a pick for him.

The whole idea is better drafting, making these patches unnecessary.

If he drafts poorly the cycle will continue.

Kind of my point on Jenkins.  People thought we would have a shot at a comp pick.  Agree on the rest. 

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Douglas did what had to be done.  I think lauding him for having a roster of stiffs with nothing set for 2021 is a bit much.  If these guys play okay we are golden.  If they suck we are not.  Like the signing of Kalil, it looks reasonable, but play on the field will tell. 

We won't have "huge cap flexibility" because we need too much.  Also, every team is going to have "huge cap flexibility" because tons of players were signing one year deals to get to the big cap year in 2021.

Kind of my point on Jenkins.  People thought we would have a shot at a comp pick.  Agree on the rest. 

I think the point on Jenkins is that Douglas refused to over pay for a nice player.  Historically we d have signed him for 4 yrs and 40 million, then be happy we could walk away after 2 yrs.  He let the market dictate the price and decided there was value.  If someone had grabbed him at big bucks, we d have gotten draft pick compensation.   I’m guessing that comp picks are part of his algorithm for signing FAs.

With more and better drafts we will need less stop gaps but it’s a process that will take some time.

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

On defense, I agree with you.  Most of LBs and CBs will be turning over -- those are spots that will need to be replaced in 2021.  Again.

The OLs were all 3 year deals that we can get out of after 1 year if we choose: Van Roten, Lewsi, Fant and McGovern.  If we draft an OL at either 11 or 48, we could have our entire OL returning intact for 2021: Edoga, Fant, Lewis, Mcgovern, Van Roten and rookie could all be under contract for 2021.

We have Herndon and Griffen under contract along with Crowder, Berrios and likely 1 or 2 rookie WRs.  Depending on what happens in draft, we could be returning most of the offense intact for 2021, with excpetion of RB position, which is usually not that tough to fill.

• Upvote 1

He set the roster up for the massive overturn that needed to happen in years 1 and 2 of his regime. But I certainly don’t envy all the work he’ll have to put in. Luckily that’s his problem and not ours.

Financially the team will look very good going forward if he can continue making shrewd decisions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Darnold

McGovern

Crowder

Herndon

Griffen

Rookie WR

Rookie OT

Adams

Austin

Mosley

Williams

As the main players

I'm sure I missed some, I'd like to believe Perriman, Poole, and Desir play well enough to get extensions. I could see Douglas letting Maye and Jenkins leave in FA to try and get comp picks for them. 

I think Griffin is looking like the example of what Douglas likes to do.  He had that TE on a one-year deal in 2019 and extended him about halfway through the season as his play proved to be both good and consistent.

Depending on how the Draft goes, particularly at CB....I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the same approach with Poole and/or Desir.  If we draft a couple of CBs that look good in their rookie seasons then Joe can be patient.  If the Draft unfolds in a way that they can't address CB with any high picks then this "lease with an option to buy" approach could pay off.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Don't for get UDFAs after the draft that if picked properly you may get 1 or 2 to stick there for the season. Robby was an UDFA as was a few others we have had over last year.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Lith said:

On defense, I agree with you.  Most of LBs and CBs will be turning over -- those are spots that will need to be replaced in 2021.  Again.

The OLs were all 3 year deals that we can get out of after 1 year if we choose: Van Roten, Lewsi, Fant and McGovern.  If we draft an OL at either 11 or 48, we could have our entire OL returning intact for 2021: Edoga, Fant, Lewis, Mcgovern, Van Roten and rookie could all be under contract for 2021.

We have Herndon and Griffen under contract along with Perriman, Crowder, Berrios and likely 1 or 2 rookie WRs.  Depending on what happens in draft, we could be returning most of the offense intact for 2021, with excpetion of RB position, which is usually not that tough to fill.

Don’t forget Perriman. Fixed. Hoping him, Crowder and Herndon/Griffin can move the chains with the occasional big gain. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Trade down, pay it forward, build for the future.

I wouldn't mind seeing Douglas trade back from #11 to somewhere in the late teens or early 20's if it got the Jets a late 2020 2nd round pick and a 2021 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I’ve become more and more open to trading back, but as we’ve seen in the past, takes two to tango. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

What do you see as the difference between filling the roster with a bunch of 1-year FA's vs. a bunch of FA's on LT contracts?  If your drafting sucks, the only real difference is the math, isn't it?  IMO JD's playing this correctly.  Ultimately he wants to fill the roster with as many draft picks as he can.  The only drawback to the 1-year deals is he hits on a couple (Perriman?) and he has to pay bigger bucks next year to keep them...

All these 1 year deals. It’s Gase’s prove it or lose it year.

Douglas will have close to 100 million next year (once Bell is cut) if he has to hire a new coach, an enticing big piece of bait.

Or if Gase proves his worth, then they sill have a lot of $ to fill out the roster, extend Jamal, or whoever else.

Lay the bricks down in the draft this year, make a splash next year in free agency if they love some players.

My concern though is that we haven’t given Sam enough to work with this year, and he’s screwed.